MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Borat... the Movie!

http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/borat/trailer/

MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 11:21 PM   #2
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Here's a review.. I can't wait to see this.

http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/732/732787p1.html
Old 09-15-2006, 01:39 AM   #3
Groundhog
Coordinator

Ditto, sounds like this might be a scream.
Old 09-15-2006, 06:51 AM   #4
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

According to the British press there will be a discussion on Borat when the Kazakh President visits the White House later this month. There will also be a cable advertising blitz promoting Kazakhstan.
Old 09-15-2006, 07:38 AM   #5
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I saw the preview for this movie when I went to go see Talladega Nights, and as much as I liked Talladega Nights, I think that Borat trailer was my favorite part of the evening.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 09:08 AM   #6
digamma
Torchbearer

I know several folks who have seen an uncut version of the movie. To a man, they've all said it is one of the funniest movies they've ever seen.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 09:13 AM   #7
MikeVic
Head Coach

I can't wait for this as well, and I agree with what Fidatelo said as well. I saw the trailer during Talladega Nights (which I thought wasn't bad, but Ferrell is starting to wear on me), and instead of talking about the movie the next day... I talked about the Borat trailer and had to show a few people the trailer from YouTube.

Last edited by MikeVic : 09-15-2006 at 09:13 AM. Reason: wording
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 12:23 PM   #8
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

"Her vagine is like a wizard's sleeve"

You had me at vagine.
Old 09-15-2006, 01:56 PM   #9
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

Last edited by MylesKnight : 09-15-2006 at 01:57 PM.
MylesKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 03:19 PM   #10
MrBigglesworth
College Starter

Borat's Myspace sent out a bulletin that they will be having a free pre-screening on the 20th in select cities around the country, and Philly is one. I'm going to try and get tickets.
MrBigglesworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 03:32 PM   #11
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

throw the jew down the well!
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 09:57 AM   #12
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Borat is very displeased with Uzbek propaganda.

A statement from fictional Kazakh reporter Borat's D.C. press conference outside the Embassy of Kazakhstan:

"Jagshemash, my name Borat Sagdiyev. I would like to comment on recent advertisments on television and in media about my nation of Kazakhstan, saying that women are treated equally, and that all religions are tolerated — these are disgusting fabrications. These claims are part of a propoganda campaign against our country by evil nitwits Uzbekistan — who as we all know are a very nosey people, with a bone in the middle of their brain.

"There is a man name Roman Vasilenko who is claiming to be Press Secretary of Kazakhstan. Please do not listen this man, he is Uzbek imposter, and is currently being hunted by our agents. I must further say on behalf of my government, that if Uzbekistan do not desist from funding these attacks, then we will not rule out the possibility of military intervention. ...

"Furthermore, all claims that our glorious leader is displeased with my film, 'Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazahkstan' is lie. Infacts main purpose of Premier Nazharbayev's visit to Washingtons is to promote this moviefilm. This why together with Ministry of Information he will be hosting a screening tomorrow evening, to which he have invitate Premier George Walter Bush and other American dignitaries — Donald Rumsfeld, Bill Gates, O.J. Simpson and Mel Gibsons. This screening will be followed by cocktail party and a discussion of closer ties between our countries at Hooters, on 825 7th Street.

"Thank you, I must now return to Embassy where my government need me.

"Chenquieh"

and then he went to the White House

White House turns away 'Kazakh reporter' Borat
POSTED: 9:41 a.m. EDT, September 29, 2006
Adjust font size:
WASHINGTON (Reuters) -- Borat, the fictional TV reporter from Kazakhstan, may have gotten under the skin of Kazakh officials, but Thursday he couldn't get past the gates of the White House.

Secret Service agents turned away British comedian Sacha Baron Cohen, in character as the boorish, anti-Semitic journalist, when he tried to invite "Premier George Walter Bush" to a screening of his upcoming movie, "Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan."

Also invited to the screening: O.J. Simpson, "Mel Gibsons" and other "American dignitaries." (Watch "Borat" let the chicken out of the bag on a subway -- 2:33)

Cohen's stunt was timed to coincide with an official visit by Kazakh President Nursultan Nazarbayev, who is scheduled to meet with Bush Friday.

Nazarbayev and other Kazakh officials have sought to raise the profile of the oil-rich former Soviet republic and assure the West that, contrary to Borat's claims, theirs is not a nation of drunken anti-Semites who treat their women worse than their donkeys.

Kazakhstan is expected to become one of the top 10 oil producers within a decade. A U.S. ally with troops in Iraq, the country has drawn criticism for its deteriorating civil liberties and flawed elections.

Shortly after Nazarbayev dedicated a statue in front of the Kazakh embassy, Borat denounced an official Kazakh publicity campaign running in U.S. magazines as "disgusting fabrications" orchestrated by neighboring Uzbekistan.

"If there is one more item of Uzbek propaganda claiming that we do not drink fermented horse urine, give death penalty for baking bagels, or export over 300 tons of human pubis per year, then we will be left with no alternative but to commence bombardment of their cities with our catapults," Borat said.

Cohen, 35, who is Jewish, co-starred in the recent U.S. box office hit "Talladega Nights" and has appeared in TV comedy series "Da Ali G Show" on U.S. cable channel HBO and Britain's Channel 4.

Cohen's "Borat" comedy routine has drawn legal threats from the Kazakh government, which keeps a tight lid on criticism in its news media.

Kazakh press secretary Roman Vasilenko said he was worried that some may take the Borat routine seriously.

"He is not a Kazakh. What he represents is a country of Boratastan, a country of one," Vasilenko told Reuters.
Old 09-29-2006, 10:18 AM   #13
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by article
"He is not a Kazakh. What he represents is a country of Boratastan, a country of one," Vasilenko told Reuters.

That's actually pretty funny, all things considered.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 07:44 PM   #14
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
They've released some deleted scenes from the upcoming movie. This might end up being one of the funniest movies of all time.

hxxp://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=BoratMovie
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 09:58 PM   #15
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
They've released some deleted scenes from the upcoming movie. This might end up being one of the funniest movies of all time.

hxxp://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=BoratMovie

Great stuff, thanks!!
Old 10-09-2006, 10:46 PM   #16
MrBigglesworth
College Starter

Amazing.
MrBigglesworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 10:49 PM   #17
molson
General Manager

There's tons and tons of Borat stuff on Youtube - all great.

It's amazing how simple the schtick is. There's nothing really new, he's just really good at it.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 11:36 PM   #18
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Here's a 20+ minute Borat press conference from the other day to promote the movie. Good stuff.

hxxp://media.movies.ign.com/media/833/833754/vid_1719250.html
Old 10-27-2006, 12:19 PM   #19
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

From an "interview" with a CNN reporter:

Becky Anderson: This is all good experience for being a journalist. I mean there are some great experiences in there. What's the best experience you've ever had?

Borat Sagdiyev: You are uh jumping!!! And going too close to me, woman! Yes, get back.

Becky Anderson: I'll get back in the cage. Although I left it outside.

Borat Sagdiyev: I will put you in my cage later. You will not run far. Yes? My best assignment was when I did reporting for Miss Kazakhstan Contest from 2002. Wowowoeewow! It was win by Karangash Atmova. You know her? She have beautiful hair and pair of...teets?... that make a dangle 1.3 meter because she attach a rock to them... 1.4 meter including milk valve. It was judged by American sports star OJ Simpson. You know him? One of the contestants become so obsessed with him that she break into his hotel room, and she kill herself. But before doing so, she smear blood all over his clothes. There are crazy these female fans!

LOL!

hxxp://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Movies/10/27/becky.borat/index.html
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 12:24 PM   #20
Leonidas
College Benchwarmer

I don't get it. I've seen the previews, seen the interviews, doesn't work for me.
Old 11-03-2006, 04:34 PM   #21
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Best reviewed movie of the year, according to Rotten Tomatoes. I'm so there tonight.
Old 11-03-2006, 05:39 PM   #22
Joe
Pro Starter

Andy Kaufman did this schtick better.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 05:45 PM   #23
AlexB
Pro Starter

You gotta love a guy standing in the middle of a rodeo event receiving rapturous applause and hollering after saying into a mic 'I support your war of terror'

Last edited by AlexB : 11-03-2006 at 05:45 PM.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 05:52 PM   #24
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jari Rantanen's Shorts View Post
You gotta love a guy standing in the middle of a rodeo event receiving rapturous applause and hollering after saying into a mic 'I support your war of terror'

LOL
Old 11-03-2006, 07:18 PM   #25
King of New York
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
Andy Kaufman did this schtick better.

Different, but not better. Andy Kaufman was a master of the surreal--his approach to comedy was very cerebral; Cohen is more of a satirist who goes for the jugular.
Old 11-03-2006, 10:00 PM   #26
Oilers9911
College Benchwarmer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbCUH8diDpQ

LOL
Oilers9911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 11:20 PM   #27
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

Just came back from the film.

Wow. Go see it.
NoMyths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 07:32 AM   #28
stevew
Hall Of Famer

At first I thought this movie was probably going to suck, just cause that whole Ali-G thing is annoying to me. But I'll be damned if the clips for this don't make me really want to find a way to see it. Hopefully it goes wide quickly.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 09:33 AM   #29
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
At first I thought this movie was probably going to suck, just cause that whole Ali-G thing is annoying to me. But I'll be damned if the clips for this don't make me really want to find a way to see it. Hopefully it goes wide quickly.

It's supposed to be on 2000 screens next weekend. I have no idea why they cut the opening back to 800 screens. Even with the limited opening, it is supposed to be the #3 or #4 grossing movie this weekend.
Old 11-04-2006, 09:47 AM   #30
digamma
Torchbearer

I was mildly disappointed. Yes, it is still very funny, and there are a lot of laughs, but the Borat segments were my favorite on the Ali G Show, and I guess I expected a little more from the movie. Probably set my expectations a bit too high. That said, it's still worth seeing and there are some scenes that are unforgettable.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 11:19 AM   #31
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Sexy time
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 11:24 AM   #32
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
I was mildly disappointed. Yes, it is still very funny, and there are a lot of laughs, but the Borat segments were my favorite on the Ali G Show, and I guess I expected a little more from the movie. Probably set my expectations a bit too high. That said, it's still worth seeing and there are some scenes that are unforgettable.

That's how I feel about it, word for word. It was good, but I was disappointed due to my own sky-high expectations.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 01:07 AM   #33
AgustusM
College Prospect

I am clearly too old on the Demographic for this one.

not one thing of the media blitz I have seen has struck me as even moderately funny.

BTW - I hated Napoleon Dynamite too, again I don't think I am the target demographic.
AgustusM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 01:54 AM   #34
molson
General Manager

Early word is that is absolutely killed this weekend, and should finish #1 despite it's limited release.

It tested relatively poorly inside of the coasts, which led to the limited release, but obviously people sought it out.

And personally, I don't get how anyone doesn't get Borat.
Old 11-05-2006, 02:08 AM   #35
sabotai
General Manager

Just saw this tonight and thought it was hilarious!
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 03:18 AM   #36
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Early word is that is absolutely killed this weekend, and should finish #1 despite it's limited release.

It tested relatively poorly inside of the coasts, which led to the limited release, but obviously people sought it out.

I was worried they wouldn't show it down here. It was on one screen in one theater in a 50 mile radius or so. And it was shown only 5 times today. The theater was packed though. With it making so much on so few screens this weekend, I bet it equals it next week with the wider release. Areas like this one will have a ton of people wanting to see it because of word of mouth I am guessing.

We are in the middle of the coasts, and I don't think anyone had a problem 'getting it'.

Great movie. The filming was great IMO, and Borat is just one funny mofo.
Old 11-05-2006, 07:21 AM   #37
ice4277
Pro Rookie

This movie has the greatest fight scene ever.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 10:29 AM   #38
MikeVic
Head Coach

Funny movie.I just wanted it to last longer.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 11:17 AM   #39
Vince
Pro Starter

I was pretty underwhelmed, to be honest. I thought it was very funny at parts, but not as good as I was hoping for/expecting.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 11:27 AM   #40
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

"Not get it" is different than "doesn't think it's all that funny".

I've gotten a mild chuckle out of a couple of the clips (and Lord knows, I've seen plenty of clips of it by now), but I just don't think it's all that funny on the whole. I get what he's shooting for, it just isn't my thing. {shrug}
Old 11-05-2006, 12:08 PM   #41
TheOhioStateUniversity
High School Varsity

That fight scene was a little more than what I wanted to see, most of it was funny but some of it crossed the line.
Old 11-05-2006, 08:20 PM   #42
sooner333
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
It's supposed to be on 2000 screens next weekend. I have no idea why they cut the opening back to 800 screens. Even with the limited opening, it is supposed to be the #3 or #4 grossing movie this weekend.

Yeah, on the radio morning show the movie expert predicted $10 million with the limited release. However the movie ended up finishing #1 with over $25 million! I'm going to see it at the late show tonight.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 10:05 PM   #43
cartman
Death Herald

I think it is safe to say that Borat will not be execute. Tim Allen, not so lucky.
Old 11-05-2006, 11:43 PM   #44
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Saw this today, I haven't laughed so hard at a movie in a long time.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 09:09 AM   #45
ThunderingHERD
College Benchwarmer

"The real stories behind 'Borat'"
http://blogs.usatoday.com/ondeadline...al_storie.html

I find it amusing that the feminist who only comes off poorly in the film because of her humorlessness(and, debatably, intolerance) is so narrow-minded as to adamantly proceed in making herself look ridiculous:

Quote:
Of the three women from the Veteran Feminists of America in the movie, Linda Stein is the one who walked off the set and now has the most to say. Her website has a list of articles about her experience, including a first-person piece in the Downtown Express. "I don’t know what motivates Borat/Cohen to use his considerable talents to deceive and manipulate: maybe it's his way of gaining power over the childhood sting of religious animosity or the feelings of inferiority from a woman’s beating him at Scrabble," Stein writes. "I only know that afterward, I am left feeling confused and sad."

"Everyone's a voyeurist--they're watching me watch them watch me right now."

Last edited by ThunderingHERD : 11-07-2006 at 09:47 AM.
ThunderingHERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 09:23 AM   #46
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

The closed-minded and condesending intolerance of the Veteran Feminists of America was one of the funniest parts of the movie.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 09:28 AM   #47
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderingHERD View Post

I find it amusing that the feminist who is only comes off poorly in the film because of her humorlessness(and, debatably, intolerance) is so narrow-minded as to adamantly proceed in making herself look ridiculous:

Hmm, I always assumed that the "innocent" parties in these kinds of stunts needed to give permission for their likenesses to be used in a movie. If not, it does kind of suck to unwittingly end up the butt of a joke in a blockbuster movie.
Old 11-07-2006, 09:34 AM   #48
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Hmm, I always assumed that the "innocent" parties in these kinds of stunts needed to give permission for their likenesses to be used in a movie. If not, it does kind of suck to unwittingly end up the butt of a joke in a blockbuster movie.

My understanding is they all signed releases, just nobody actually read them and just assumed Cohen was telling the truth about what he was doing.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 09:52 AM   #49
ThunderingHERD
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

http://www.slate.com/id/2151865/

"The waivers encompass claims of defamation, invasion of privacy, and infringement of publicity rights—and they do so in unusual detail. The document diverges most clearly from the standard "standard consent agreements" when it gets into issues of fraud, "breach of alleged moral rights," and copyright infringement. There's even a reference to the federal Lanham Act, which covers unfair business practices that could mislead consumers. (This clause may protect against the claim that consumers were made to believe that the participant has endorsed—or voluntarily acted—in the film.)"

"Everyone's a voyeurist--they're watching me watch them watch me right now."
ThunderingHERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 10:14 AM   #50
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

My name is Mahir ... and you stole-a my schtick-a.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20061107/D8L89AEG1.html
ANKARA, Turkey (AP) - A Turkish Internet celebrity is so convinced he was the inspiration for Sacha Baron Cohen's "Borat" character, he's traveling to London seeking an apology and a way to get paid from the film's surprise success.

Mahir Cagri 44, became a cyber celebrity after posting a personal Web site in 1999, featuring unintentionally amusing photos of himself playing pingpong or the accordion and sunbathing in a skimpy bathing suit. Fans were captivated by his broken English and hilarious invitation to women: "Who is want to come TURKEY I can invitate ... She can stay my home."

"The world knows he is copying Mahir," Cagri told The Associated Press in a telephone interview from his hometown of Izmir on Monday, minutes before he was to board a plane for Istanbul to appear on a talk show.

"I am not saying this - the world is. I have received so many e-mails from people in the United States who tell me he is imitating me," he said.