Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-05-2003, 12:51 PM   #1
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

MS Flight Simulator 2002?

Anyone play this and/or have this flight simulator? Now that I have a decent pc, I was thinking about getting back into a FS.

Reviews seem good, from what I have read.

What type of joystick works best? How hard/easy is it to learn without reading a hefty manual?

Thanks,

Todd

MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2003, 01:35 PM   #2
andy m
High School Varsity

i love it, probably my most played 'game'. there are loads of downloads out there that make it even better (http://www.avsim.com). what some people have coaxed out of this sim is unreal, especially if you're up for paying a bit for some commercial addons.

there is a structured tutorial with the sim that gets all the basics going for you, after that just take the cessna and practice.

i have a logitech wingman joystick and that works fine so anything that is above bottom of the range will probably suit you. one with a 'hat' and lots of buttons preferably
Old 02-05-2003, 01:51 PM   #3
couriers

I have always wanted to get into MSFS 2002 since early last year. For Christmas 2001 I was given the Saitek Cyborg 3D Gold USB Flight Stick with the belief that I was going to rush right out and pick up the game. For one reason of another it has been over a year now and I have yet to purchase it.

MS Combat Flight Simulator 2 was then bought for my birthday by the same person who so kindly gave me the flight stick just so that I would use it. This has happened less than I would have expected but I can honestly say that it is an excellent stick worthy of the $50 price tag. Check it out.
Old 02-05-2003, 02:18 PM   #4
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Thanks to both of you. Last flight sim I played was EF 2000.

Todd
Old 02-05-2003, 02:34 PM   #5
Dutch
"Dutch"

MSFS2002 is really awesome.

IL-2 (as far as flight sims go) has probably the best atmosphere and graphics I've ever seen in a flight sim.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2003, 06:51 PM   #6
Blackadar
Retired

One of my favorite games. I relax by jumping into a Cessna and flying over the Rockies.

Once you do get it, head on over to www.fsgenesis.net. It has the best terrian downloads on the 'net.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 09:07 AM   #7
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by Blackadar
One of my favorite games. I relax by jumping into a Cessna and flying over the Rockies.

Once you do get it, head on over to www.fsgenesis.net. It has the best terrian downloads on the 'net.

I will do that! I'm still having a hard time finding the right joystick though!!

Should I go with an MS joystick, maybe it will work better with the game?

Todd
Old 02-06-2003, 09:27 AM   #8
andy m
High School Varsity

i don't think it matters, so long as it's a decent joystick. they know that not everyone who has it will have an MS 'stick so i wouldn't worry about the brand too much, just the quality
Old 02-06-2003, 10:24 AM   #9
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Quote:
Originally posted by Dutch
IL-2 (as far as flight sims go) has probably the best atmosphere and graphics I've ever seen in a flight sim.

I second this sentiment. Great sim that I am just getting into.

Hey Dutch, have you found a listing of the armament loads for IL-2? I cannot find this anywhere, and it's a little frustrating.

I have a Logitech Wingman joystick and can also vouch for it as a good, reasonably priced option. If you are going for the full flight simulation experience, however, you may want to add rudder pedals.
Old 02-06-2003, 10:46 AM   #10
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I just want a decent j-stk that doesn't cost a ton.

I'm definitly a casual flight sim player.

I'll check a few out at Best Buy maybe tomorrow.

Todd
Old 02-06-2003, 10:56 AM   #11
Tarkus
High School Varsity

Two points. First I have a good friend who's been playing flight sims since DOS days. He was looking forward to this game for ages. When it came out he totally panned it, so based on his advise I wouldn't get this game if realistic sims is that for which you are looking. Secondly, if you want the best joystick this is it.

http://www.chproducts.com/retail/usb_fighter.html

Have fun.

Tarkus

P.S. I have the non-USB version of that stick and it's awesome.

Last edited by Tarkus : 02-06-2003 at 10:58 AM.
Tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 12:49 PM   #12
Tarkus
High School Varsity

Okay, I got a hold of my friend and here's a conversation I just had with him regarding flight sims after I asked him about his impression of MSFS2002.

JANNA (10:31 AM) :
really crappy flight modeling being bad. it fails one simple test and its the same test that all sims i play have to pass...

when flying to turn a real plane u simple bank 25 degrees one way or the other. this cause the plane to turn in the direction of the bank and lose height. MSCFS2002 fails this test utterly. it flies straight with no discernable turn. but it does lose altitude.
JANNA (10:32 AM) :
there are other tests but thats the one that fails most bad sims. since its a simple fundamental of flight
Tarkus (10:35 AM) :
can I quote you on this?
JANNA (10:36 AM) :
unfortunately the only MS flight sim that does a good job at modeling flight is combat flight sim2. MS sims also have great difficulty modeling the flaps and the effects flaps have on landing. its nearly imposible to land a MS plane using flaps. in normal flight flaps are required to land. MS planes the flaps at near stall speeds cause the planes to gain altitude instead of allowing for a good glide path. the old Jane's sims before their WW2 was best at modeling landing.
sure why?? heh
so far no game has gotten everything right tho...
Tarkus (10:38 AM) :
people on a board are discussing it and several said it's great but I remembered you not liking it. What are the best flight sims out there now?
JANNA (10:39 AM) :
for flying civilian craft? or combat flying??
Tarkus (10:39 AM) :
umm, either
JANNA (10:41 AM) :
unfortunately the only REAL sim out for civ flite is MSFS2002 so by default its the best... for combat flying European Air War is still the best if ur looking solely at flight modeling. altho it doesnt get everything right and does cut a lot of corners in some areas.
JANNA (10:42 AM) :
http://www.lo-mac.com/ that is probably going to be the hands down best when its released this summer from what ive seen of the screens and video clips they have posted theyre getting a lot of things right
Tarkus (10:43 AM) :
okay, as usual, thanks a lot.

Check out the screenies for that sim. Simply amazing.

Tarkus
Old 02-06-2003, 01:19 PM   #13
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Thanks for the info and link.. very nice!!

That game looks unreal...

Todd
Old 02-06-2003, 05:48 PM   #14
andy m
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally posted by Tarkus
Okay, I got a hold of my friend and here's a conversation I just had with him regarding flight sims after I asked him about his impression of MSFS2002.

could you tell us if your friend has tried anything other than the default planes that come with the sim? has he experienced either the Dreamfleet 737 or the PSS Airbus add ons? it's well accepted that the default planes that come with MSFS2002 are weak, but that doesn't mean the whole sim is fried. just go to the forums at flightsim.com and avsim.com and ask some of the real pilots who fly the sim when they are not in the air think. they'll tell you otherwise
Old 02-06-2003, 05:55 PM   #15
Tarkus
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally posted by andy m
could you tell us if your friend has tried anything other than the default planes that come with the sim? has he experienced either the Dreamfleet 737 or the PSS Airbus add ons? it's well accepted that the default planes that come with MSFS2002 are weak, but that doesn't mean the whole sim is fried. just go to the forums at flightsim.com and avsim.com and ask some of the real pilots who fly the sim when they are not in the air think. they'll tell you otherwise

Sorry, but if you have to rely on add-ons for the game to be any good, that's pretty weak. And this guy is a pilot. And any sim where the planes fly straight when you bank them is pretty sad regardless of what "real pilots" think. But hey, everyone is entitled to their opinion. You're always going to find people who like a game and those that don't. All I know is the guy I quoted is so fricken good at these games that when we dogfight I can't even get a shot on him unless he lets me.

Tarkus

P.S. Check out the screen shots and in-game videos on that link and you'll be amazed. I've never seen a flight sim that comes close to it in terms of looks.

Last edited by Tarkus : 02-06-2003 at 05:57 PM.
Old 02-06-2003, 07:25 PM   #16
Blackadar
Retired

Actually, the planes are pretty damned good. There's different flight models presented - I wonder if your friend was on the easier settings.
Old 02-07-2003, 12:56 AM   #17
Tarkus
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally posted by Blackadar
Actually, the planes are pretty damned good. There's different flight models presented - I wonder if your friend was on the easier settings.

You mean the planes don't turn on the easier settings? Wouldn't that possibly make it more difficult? But to answer your questions he always flys on the most realistic settings, which in my experience is usually the most difficult.

Tarkus
Old 02-07-2003, 02:13 AM   #18
andy m
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally posted by Tarkus
Sorry, but if you have to rely on add-ons for the game to be any good, that's pretty weak.

is it? i would dispute that totally. most games have huge modding communities. how about FOF, is it weak because you can't play with NFL rosters out of the box? there are plenty of amazing free add ons for MSFS too.

Quote:
And this guy is a pilot. And any sim where the planes fly straight when you bank them is pretty sad regardless of what "real pilots" think.

this is the statement that really bothers me though. how the heck do you turn the plane if it doesn't turn whilst banking? and it's always worked for me, so i am at a loss to explain why your friend has so many problems. it must have been some kind of configuration problem as this banking problem does not match what i have experienced. fs2002 is well loved by a lot of people, your friend is definitely in the minority, i have barely read another bad word about it outside of your quote up there. of course he's entitled to his opinion, but you should be aware that very few people share it.

Quote:
P.S. Check out the screen shots and in-game videos on that link and you'll be amazed. I've never seen a flight sim that comes close to it in terms of looks.

i've been following LOMAC for ages. looks good.

Last edited by andy m : 02-07-2003 at 02:20 AM.
andy m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 08:27 PM   #19
Blackadar
Retired

I love FS2002. A great game and a great sim.
Old 02-08-2003, 01:02 AM   #20
PilotMan
Head Coach

Why play a sim when you can do it for real?

Not that I havn't loved MSFSim, but it just doesn't compare to the real thing.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 08:05 AM   #21
Blackadar
Retired

Time, my man, time.