Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-04-2003, 05:35 PM   #1
Noble_Platypus
College Prospect

Drafting

It says for FOF4 that teams will draft for need, yet I still see things like a teams #1 priority being LB, a stud LB is one of the top few players, and the team willtake another position player with lesser talent. I know my scout might rate the player differently from another teams scout, but in my current game Cincy has a RT that was a first round pick 3 years ago and is really good,they have the #1 pick( go figure) and they draft another RT, who isnt even the best player on the board. That #1 pick is now riding the bench behind the 3rd year guy. I know Vick did this but rarely is the #1 pick someone who rides the pine. I see this alot, teams drafting T's and DE's especially who are lesser players than others who fill a need. They take a lesser T they dont need over a WR or LB that they really do.One draft a LB had a 8.9 rating and the next highest one was 7.4, yet that LB went 6th overall. 2 teams that bypassed had LB as the #1 priority and drafted players that were in the 6's in rating. Does anyone else notice this or see it as a flaw?

Noble_Platypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2003, 10:41 PM   #2
Noble_Platypus
College Prospect

I have also noticed that due to this flaw, Teams #1 pick is on the bench behind another good player, while a 1st year scrub starts at another position because the team is so thin there.
Old 02-06-2003, 09:04 AM   #3
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I see teams pick a stud RB in the 1st round only to have him sit the bench for 3 years while an older veteran gets the call!

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 03:51 PM   #4
Noble_Platypus
College Prospect

DO you see this as a bug? I do, especially when the 1st round pick is benched and 1st year undrafted FA's start
Old 02-06-2003, 04:05 PM   #5
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I'm ok if they sit a year, but if they are a first rounder and have better ratings than the veteran backup does, I do think it's a bug.

Why pay big time $$$ for a veteran who has less talent than a rookie who costs much less?

I haven't checked every team in my dynasty to see if it's a trend or not. Quicksand probably knows more than most on these types of questions.

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 05:42 PM   #6
Noble_Platypus
College Prospect

bump
Old 02-09-2003, 12:44 PM   #7
Noble_Platypus
College Prospect

It especially bugs me when this happens and undrafted 1st year FA's start at 3-4 positions. I wrote Jim about this, I will post any reply I get here
Old 02-10-2003, 05:56 AM   #8
WebEwbank
High School JV

Two separate issues here, I think.

The first is that AI is heavily weighted for a few "key" positions, especially in the first 10-15 picks of the draft. These are DE, DT, WR, OT, and sometimes QB and RB. An a-m-a-z-i-n-g thing is to run the complete draft with the 1970's roster file from the Historical fellows; almost every time Forrest Gregg is the first pick and OLTs go like hotcakes. The net here is that if you understand it, you can usually predict AI choices.

The seond is the algorithm for starters. I have bigger problems with this. It seems that seniority matters quite a bit. In fact, whenever I get a really tremendous RB or QB who I think has the possibility of setting career records, I force myself (!) to cut the older players in front of him, even if they're significantly worse-rated or still useful as backups.
WebEwbank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 11:19 AM   #9
Syrinx
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally posted by WebEwbank

The seond is the algorithm for starters. I have bigger problems with this. It seems that seniority matters quite a bit.

Is it possible this is because of Cohesion?
Perhaps the AI values it more then we do. It may even have a larger effect then we think it does.
Syrinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 12:46 PM   #10
Noble_Platypus
College Prospect

good point, I never thought of that. it wouldnt be affected if the vet were benched instead of cut,but he would become disgruntled and that may drop it. Still, Thats not how the NFL really works. if it is cohesion, the importance should be reduced.