Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-04-2003, 11:38 AM   #1
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Alright...want your opinions regarding CD Artwork, Etc.

Alrighty, here we go! I got this stuff from the company today. I don't have a scanner, so I took digital photos of everything. So far, I only have one strong opinion of something that needs to be changed, but I'd sure appreciate any other input.

Back Cover:

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 02-04-2003 at 11:49 AM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 11:50 AM   #2
Ben E Lou

INSIDE TEXT

Old 02-04-2003, 11:50 AM   #3
Ben E Lou

FRONT COVER:
Old 02-04-2003, 11:51 AM   #4
Ben E Lou

OPEN THE CD AND YOU'LL SEE...

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 02-04-2003 at 11:51 AM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 11:52 AM   #5
Bee
Pro Starter

I love the cover, but who the heck is that ugly dude on the back? He kinda looks like my coach in Tournament Dreams.

Seriously, I like it a lot.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 11:53 AM   #6
Ben E Lou

OK. That's it. The poster looks pretty much exactly like the front cover of the CD, with the picture of me playing guitar added at the bottom of the poster. Feel free to rip it apart, as this isn't my work, it is the artwork provided by the company I've hired.
Old 02-04-2003, 11:54 AM   #7
McSweeny
College Starter

lookin good
McSweeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 11:56 AM   #8
McSweeny
College Starter

dola:

just gave it another look... the front looks like it was just thrown together. It's not very cohesive... and i think you should use the shot of you playing guitar sitting in the trunk on the front cover
Old 02-04-2003, 11:57 AM   #9
Ben E Lou

Oh...the one thing that I definitely want to change: I think that the guitar on the cover looks cheap. I like having an acoustic guitar, but not THAT one. I talked to them about it already, and they've said they can replace it at no charge with a picture of my guitar that I will provide.
Old 02-04-2003, 11:58 AM   #10
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
Skydog, I like the cover, love the book pages, and like the CD. I think a different picture of you on the back would be better.

One thing about the cover, it makes me think of sea songs.
Old 02-04-2003, 12:00 PM   #11
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
dola

you cover reminded me of

http://image.allmusic.com/00/amg/cov200/drc900/c905/c9057017lyf.jpg
Old 02-04-2003, 12:00 PM   #12
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally posted by Fritz
One thing about the cover, it makes me think of sea songs.
I did request some sort of water-oriented cover--three of the songs have water themes.
Old 02-04-2003, 12:01 PM   #13
McSweeny
College Starter

yeah the pogues! they're f'in awesome! thing is, i think skydog has better teeth than shane macgowan does
Old 02-04-2003, 12:02 PM   #14
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

maybe its the map. I am not saying there is anything wrong with it, just telling you what I think when I see it.

edit: I like the picture of you sitting in the trunk of a car.

Last edited by Fritz : 02-04-2003 at 12:04 PM.
Fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 12:04 PM   #15
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally posted by Fritz
maybe its the map. I am not saying there is anything wrong with it, just telling you what I think when I see it.
i hear ya...i'll need to think about that
Old 02-04-2003, 12:06 PM   #16
Bee
Pro Starter

Looking at it again, I tend to agree with Fritz about the photo on the back. There's too much white in the photo, while the rest of the back is kind of dark. It makes the photo jump out too much.

I like the front cover, but a different guitar might be a good idea.
Old 02-04-2003, 12:21 PM   #17
bosshogg23
College Benchwarmer

I think the photo on back needs to be cut down in size a little bit and more focused on your mug.

Otherwise it looks great! Love the water on it.
bosshogg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 12:23 PM   #18
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I don't see a thanks for FOFC in there...and is that first name under "Thanks to" Dave Dial?

M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 02-04-2003 at 12:23 PM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 12:28 PM   #19
Ben E Lou

Ksyrup:

Funny you should mention that. That is another change that I had already planned on making, adding a thanks "to all the boyz at FOFC."

And no, that's Dave DAULT! Dave Dault is a guy I knew back in high school. I ran back into him here in Atlanta recently and he helped me get a few gigs at some places around town.
Old 02-04-2003, 12:31 PM   #20
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally posted by SkyDog
"to all the boyz at FOFC."

Cool! An inside joke on a real CD that I'm in on!
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 02-04-2003, 12:46 PM   #21
Bee
Pro Starter

I think you should list us individually.
Old 02-04-2003, 12:51 PM   #22
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally posted by Bee
I think you should list us individually.
hehehehe...can't you just picture it? I've got all those normal-sounding names as acknowledgements, then I add a bunch of names like: Ksyrup, Bee, wignasty, QuikSand, SkyDick Is An Asshole*, Solecismic, primelord, etc. etc. etc.

*--Hey, I'd hate to leave wignifty off.
Old 02-04-2003, 12:56 PM   #23
Neel
n00b

Do you have MP3's where I can hear your stuff?
I see you live in Tucker. I am from Atlanta, in Seattle now. Are you playing in the Atlanta area?
Neel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 01:01 PM   #24
Ben E Lou

Neel:

This thread has links to three MP3's.

I play some in the Atlanta area, but a limited amount. Music is not my full-time vocation, nor do I have any intention of making it so.

--Ben
Old 02-04-2003, 01:01 PM   #25
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

I think the cover would look interesting if you just left the ocean, and the off-set title. Drop both the guitar and the map.

I'm an music-artwork snob though, owning roughly 1,000 albums.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 01:03 PM   #26
Bee
Pro Starter

I was thinking something more personal for each of us like:

Much love to my man Horns Maniac (though we all know he doesn't need it),

Old 02-04-2003, 01:08 PM   #27
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

I'm going to agree with what some of the others said. While overall it looks very nice, the picture on the back just doesn't look like it fits in with the rest of the artwork. Maybe if you had another picture which isn't so white. Or have it focus in your face.

Neuqua
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 01:23 PM   #28
Joe Stallings
.400 Software Studios

Agree with everything here; back photo is perhaps a bit too casual, but everything else is very, very nice.

As a part-time writer and musician myself , I think your package looks very professional and crisp, and reflects your style of music (from the three tunes I've heard), without appearing pretentious or over-packaged.

So that's my take. Now, back to my techno remix of "Daddy."

JMS
Joe Stallings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 01:24 PM   #29
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally posted by Joe Stallings
Now, back to my techno remix of "Daddy."
ROFLMBAO!!! I can only imagine!
Old 02-04-2003, 01:34 PM   #30
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
I think your package looks very professional and crisp

quote of the moment.

Old 02-04-2003, 01:36 PM   #31
Joe Stallings
.400 Software Studios

Old 02-04-2003, 01:41 PM   #32
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by Ksyrup
I don't see a thanks for FOFC in there...

funny, that's the first thing I noticed as well
Old 02-04-2003, 01:53 PM   #33
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

My reaction is to put the front artwork on the back (which matches the inside artwork) and put the car photo one on the front. "Things I Know For Sure" has nothing to do with a guitar and the ocean, which are best relegated as a secondary theme. The primary theme is "I" which would suggest an artistic/musical picture of you.

What's up the "Ben E Lou"? Something the matter with Ben Lewis??
Anrhydeddu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 01:54 PM   #34
Dutch
"Dutch"

I really like the rough seas look. Maybe just use the water and centering Ben E Lou/Things I Know For Sure on that and remove the guitar and map completely from the cover?
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 01:56 PM   #35
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally posted by Anrhydeddu
What's up the "Ben E Lou"? Something the matter with Ben Lewis??
It is my nickname since back in high school, and the nickname VERY much followed me into youth ministry. The CD will be at Young Life camps across the country, where more people know "Ben E Lou" than Ben Lewis.
Old 02-04-2003, 01:57 PM   #36
Ben E Lou

Great input guys. Keep it coming. She Who Must Be Obeyed and I will sit down in a day or two and make some final decisions.
Old 02-04-2003, 03:16 PM   #37
Buzzbee
College Starter

Maybe a little late for suggestions such as this, but perhaps it might make your second album (Things 2 know for sure).

When I think of the title "Things I know for Sure", it invokes the following thought - a chalkboard with 2+2=4 and E=mc2 and even perhaps "The sky is blue and the grass is green" and finally, since it sounds as if this is aimed primarily at a YoungLife or religious audience, "Jesus Loves Me".

Those would be things that I know for sure.

$0.02

However, regarding the current artwork, front cover (with new guitar) looks pretty cool. I agree with those who suggest a reworked or different back cover photo. I vote for the Titanic picture myself. Would work very nicely with the nautical theme.

Last edited by Buzzbee : 02-04-2003 at 03:17 PM.
Buzzbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 03:22 PM   #38
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Dutch
I really like the rough seas look. Maybe just use the water and centering Ben E Lou/Things I Know For Sure on that and remove the guitar and map completely from the cover?

I'm with that suggestion, but think the text would look best off-center.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 04:10 PM   #39
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally posted by Buzzbee
Maybe a little late for suggestions such as this, but perhaps it might make your second album (Things 2 know for sure).

When I think of the title "Things I know for Sure", it invokes the following thought - a chalkboard with 2+2=4 and E=mc2 and even perhaps "The sky is blue and the grass is green" and finally, since it sounds as if this is aimed primarily at a YoungLife or religious audience, "Jesus Loves Me".

Those would be things that I know for sure.
Note to self: talk to Buzzbee before I get the ball rolling on artwork for CD#2.

Geez. That is a GREAT suggestion. It would cost me pretty handsomely at this point to complete re-work the thing though. I sent Disc Makers a letter with some general thoughts to get them going on the design. This was the pertinent section:
Quote:
Three of the songs reference water-oriented themes (An Empty Water Jar, More Than A Dream, Waterfall). I’ve wondered if the design should have a water theme incorporated. On the other hand, my wife has thought that it might be good to have a theme of maps, a clearly-marked road or a compass—things that are “infallible” from a traveler’s perspective. (playing off of the “Things I Know For Sure” title)
So, that's what it is supposed to mean, but I must admit it is a lot more abstract than the great idea you just had. Hmmmmmm......

Incidentally, it is intentional that I don't have overt spiritual references anywhere on the outside of the CD. Despite most of the songs being Christ-themed, much of my typical audience is not heavily "churched."
Old 02-04-2003, 04:28 PM   #40
Joe Stallings
.400 Software Studios

OK, look guys. I have some comments.

1) This is a freakin MUSIC CD people!
2) The front cover should be plain white, with artists name, and album title printed in black (preferably, Arial font).
3) inside flap, no need to print anything.
4) back cover, list the song titles. That's it.
5) CD label, hmm. That's a toughie. My preference would be to have a plain CD, but if you want to get fancy, go ahead and print the song names, even though you have already duplicated that information on the back, and thus it is redundant.
6) None of this "Ben E Lou" stuff. Come on. "Mr. Ben Lewis" is more than sufficient.
7) Ben, a constructive critical comment. Instead of spending all this time on the CD artwork, why not go back and double check the compression settings on your vocals on the song "Daddy?"

Wallah - you now have the perfect text-based music CD.

:^)
Old 02-04-2003, 04:31 PM   #41
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally posted by Joe Stallings
OK, look guys. I have some comments.

1) This is a freakin MUSIC CD people!
2) The front cover should be plain white, with artists name, and album title printed in black (preferably, Arial font).
3) inside flap, no need to print anything.
4) back cover, list the song titles. That's it.
5) CD label, hmm. That's a toughie. My preference would be to have a plain CD, but if you want to get fancy, go ahead and print the song names, even though you have already duplicated that information on the back, and thus it is redundant.
6) None of this "Ben E Lou" stuff. Come on. "Mr. Ben Lewis" is more than sufficient.
7) Ben, a constructive critical comment. Instead of spending all this time on the CD artwork, why not go back and double check the compression settings on your vocals on the song "Daddy?"

Wallah - you now have the perfect text-based music CD.

:^)
Harumph! Using my CD to make a point, huh???? FOUL! FOUL! FOUL!!!!

Old 02-04-2003, 04:33 PM   #42
Ksyrup

Quote:
Harumph! Using my CD to make a point, huh???? FOUL! FOUL! FOUL!!!!

Oh, wait...is this one them thar metefers?
Old 02-04-2003, 04:41 PM   #43
Buzzbee
College Starter

Quote:
Incidentally, it is intentional that I don't have overt spiritual references anywhere on the outside of the CD. Despite most of the songs being Christ-themed, much of my typical audience is not heavily "churched."

Then you could have simply replaced "Jesus Loves Me" with "Roses are Red" or "I'm your father, Luke". But alas, BenELou chose to proceed without the benefit of my wisdom. Oh the pain.
Old 02-04-2003, 04:43 PM   #44
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Then you could have simply replaced "Jesus Loves Me" with "Roses are Red" or "I'm your father, Luke". But alas, BenELou chose to proceed without the benefit of my wisdom. Oh the pain.
What'd you think of that other song I sent you?
Old 02-04-2003, 04:47 PM   #45
Buzzbee
College Starter

Quote:
What'd you think of that other song I sent you?

Where'd you send it? I haven't seen anything come through on either my work email addy or my home email addy.
Old 02-04-2003, 04:49 PM   #46
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Where'd you send it? I haven't seen anything come through on either my work email addy or my home email addy.
[email protected]
Old 02-04-2003, 04:50 PM   #47
Buzzbee
College Starter

Quote:
[email protected]

Hasn't come through yet. #$(*& email system. I'll let you know once I get it.
Old 02-04-2003, 04:55 PM   #48
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Hasn't come through yet. #$(*& email system. I'll let you know once I get it.
OK. I just sent it to your other address
Old 02-04-2003, 04:58 PM   #49
Buzzbee
College Starter

Quote:
OK. I just sent it to your other address

Got it. Let you know once I've listened.
Old 02-04-2003, 04:59 PM   #50
Joe Stallings
.400 Software Studios

Ahh...just kidding of course. Days of beta testing OOTP 5 and patching TDCB have made me loopy.