Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-29-2006, 11:02 AM   #1
GoSeahawks
High School Varsity

What should a friend do?

Here's a picture taken of my good friend Jason in September of 05. He was 5'11 170lbs.

We've spent a lot of time together hanging out since then so I hadn't completely noticed his transformation. I took this picture of him the other night and it's pretty scary how much weight he's put on in 7 or 8 months.

[IMG]Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting[/IMG]
I asked him how much he's weighing in now and he says about 260lbs. He really seems indifferent about gaining so much, but I sort of worry about his health. I can't imagine it's a good thing to put on 90lbs in less than a year.

Does anyone know what would cause him to gain so much in such a short time? Is it just his metabolism slowing down? Are there any health articles that I might be able to print out and show him? And what should I do since the weight doesn't seem to bother him? Should I just let it be?

GoSeahawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 11:40 AM   #2
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Looks like beer weight to me.
Old 05-29-2006, 11:45 AM   #3
GoSeahawks
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
Looks like beer weight to me.
He doesn't drink enough to put on that much weight.
Old 05-29-2006, 11:48 AM   #4
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

Getting Older plus drinking plus eating minus exercise equals weight gain. Tell him he is getting overweight and he needs to work out. Ultimately, you are right, it is pretty much up to him.
Grammaticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 11:54 AM   #5
Mantle2600
High School Varsity

maybe he has a thyroid problem. i'd give more info but I really dont know much about it, but I do know that there are some disorders wit hthe thyroid that can cause you to gain weight.

Browns. Cavs. Tribe. Buckeyes. Period.
Mantle2600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 12:16 PM   #6
Flasch186
Coordinator

how much does anger weigh?

/sarcasm

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL

Last edited by Flasch186 : 05-29-2006 at 12:16 PM.
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 12:42 PM   #7
GoSeahawks
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186
how much does anger weigh?

/sarcasm
lol, he thinks he looks cool when he makes dumb faces like that. I believe he's sucking in his cheeks in that final shot, but it's hard to tell with his new face.
Old 05-29-2006, 02:11 PM   #8
DanGarion
Coordinator

Maybe you are the problem?
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 02:18 PM   #9
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

I'm pretty sure he's aware of the weight gain. There is little or nothing you can say that won't anger him.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 02:32 PM   #10
Franklinnoble
Banned

Did he get married?
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 02:32 PM   #11
Axxon
Pro Starter

You should embark on a slow moving plan. First start wearing two layers of clothing. Then add another layer or two. Then go with thicker clothing. Then add in a small pillow and gradually a large one.

Then, when he says, "Hey, GoSeahawks, you've put on some weight" pull out the pillows and exclaim, "speak for yourself, fat boy."

That usually works.

Ok, I don't know why but I went into a National Lampoon moment there. Disregard this post.
Old 05-29-2006, 02:37 PM   #12
Franklinnoble
Banned

Have him come over and watch some movies... like the Eddie Murphy "Nutty Professor" films...
Old 05-29-2006, 02:38 PM   #13
GoSeahawks
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxon
You should embark on a slow moving plan. First start wearing two layers of clothing. Then add another layer or two. Then go with thicker clothing. Then add in a small pillow and gradually a large one.

Then, when he says, "Hey, GoSeahawks, you've put on some weight" pull out the pillows and exclaim, "speak for yourself, fat boy."

That usually works.

Ok, I don't know why but I went into a National Lampoon moment there. Disregard this post.
LOL. I'll do it. That's a great plan.
Old 05-29-2006, 02:41 PM   #14
GoSeahawks
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklinnoble
Did he get married?
He has gained most of his weight since he got in a relationship. But he hasn't changed his eating habits at all. He drinks no more than he used to and he eats no more. That's why I'm thinking there's something wrong with him.

After I graduated high school I went from 180 to 200 in a couple years. I've haven't fluctuated much from there. When he graduated he was 150, gradually moved up to 170 and now has inflated to 260. He looks like a fat turtle.
Old 05-29-2006, 02:50 PM   #15
Franklinnoble
Banned

Then it's probably a thyroid problem. I dunno... I put on a ton of weight after I got married, but that's because:

1.) I didn't have time to work out anymore. We started having kids right off the bat.
2.) My wife is a really good cook.

If this isn't the case with him, then he should probably see a doctor.
Old 05-29-2006, 02:55 PM   #16
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Then it's probably a thyroid problem. I dunno... I put on a ton of weight after I got married, but that's because:

1.) I didn't have time to work out anymore. We started having kids right off the bat.
2.) My wife is a really good cook.

If this isn't the case with him, then he should probably see a doctor.

Isn't she studying to be or is a chef or am I confused about this? I know another FOFC'ers wife is so maybe I'm confusing the two.
Old 05-29-2006, 05:24 PM   #17
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Are you with him every moment of the day and night? To me, the most likely reason is mostly the obvious - he's eating and drinking more. Isn't that Occam's razor?
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 06:15 PM   #18
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca
Are you with him every moment of the day and night? To me, the most likely reason is mostly the obvious - he's eating and drinking more. Isn't that Occam's razor?

Actually, doesn't look like the guy uses any razor.
Old 05-29-2006, 08:25 PM   #19
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Isn't she studying to be or is a chef or am I confused about this? I know another FOFC'ers wife is so maybe I'm confusing the two.

She's been to culinary school, if that's what you mean. Her uncle was a chef before he passed, and owned two very good restaurants.
Old 05-29-2006, 08:32 PM   #20
amdaily
College Prospect

Ask him to track his diet for a week and forward me the results. I could stand to add about 50 pounds.
amdaily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 08:52 PM   #21
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
She's been to culinary school, if that's what you mean. Her uncle was a chef before he passed, and owned two very good restaurants.

Yeah, that's what I meant. I'm not really sure about the difference in studying in a culinary school and studying to be a chef. Is there one?
Old 05-29-2006, 09:30 PM   #22
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000
I'm pretty sure he's aware of the weight gain. There is little or nothing you can say that won't anger him.

Ding! Ding!

As far as the thyroid issue, hypothyroidism can cause weight gain, but usually the other symptoms would be more noticable. These include cold intolerance, fatigue, concentration issues, among others. Hypothyroidism is rare in a 19 year old male.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 05-29-2006 at 09:30 PM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 09:35 PM   #23
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Yeah, that's what I meant. I'm not really sure about the difference in studying in a culinary school and studying to be a chef. Is there one?

I don't think so, but I wouldn't really know. All I know is she's a real good cook, and watching Iron Chef with her is like watching Jeopardy with Bill Murray in Groundhog Day - she knows every ingredient and can figure out just about every dish before they can announce it on TV. It's almost annoying.
Old 05-29-2006, 09:41 PM   #24
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
Ding! Ding!

As far as the thyroid issue, hypothyroidism can cause weight gain, but usually the other symptoms would be more noticable. These include cold intolerance, fatigue, concentration issues, among others. Hypothyroidism is rare in a 19 year old male.

What the Doc. is trying to say, is that your friend is fat.
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 10:09 PM   #25
ScottVib
High School Varsity

I gained a ton of weight (50 pounds or so) in the first year after I left college.

My eating habits didn't change.. but my activity level sure as heck did (no longer playing rugby and working an office job where I sat in front of a computer all day), getting older and my metabolism slowing probably didn't help, hence the extra weight.

Last edited by ScottVib : 05-29-2006 at 10:09 PM.
ScottVib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 10:59 PM   #26
Crim
College Benchwarmer

Tell him you don't gay-date fat guys, and it's time to see other people.

RIP

Last edited by Crim : 05-29-2006 at 11:00 PM.
Crim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 07:38 AM   #27
PilotMan
Head Coach

Depression could be another possibility. Excessive weight gain/or loss in a short period of time would be a tell, but it would go along with other symptoms.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 08:27 AM   #28
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

make sure you tell him that a backward hat and a van dyke don't make you a badass. especially when you're...on the plus side.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 09:51 AM   #29
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

I didn't think much of this thread the first time around, but I have to say that "how much does anger weigh?" is sticking with me as one of the funniest things I've read here.
Old 05-30-2006, 11:13 AM   #30
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Tell him that people who wear caps backwards and air jordan shirts look like idiots.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 11:15 AM   #31
stevew
Hall Of Famer

He could be diabetic or something.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 11:16 AM   #32
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Excessive weight gain over a 7-8 month period is not that uncommon. He will have to work hard to get back in shape once the baby is born though...
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 11:23 AM   #33
stevew
Hall Of Famer

He might be on weight gain 3k?

Either that, or every time he walks out of a room scream "Goddamit, that's a fat ass!"
Old 05-30-2006, 11:27 AM   #34
Desnudo
Coordinator

Thyroid's just another word for nothing left to lose. Tubby is eating and drinking too much and excercising too little.

It may anger him, but screw it. Tell him to go on Oprah if he can't handle the truth.

Last edited by Desnudo : 05-30-2006 at 11:28 AM.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 11:33 AM   #35
GoSeahawks
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!!
Tell him that people who wear caps backwards and air jordan shirts look like idiots.
I have a little story about the way he dresses.

Last weekend we were invited to a pimps and hoes party. Earlier in the day we had plans to go to the Good Will and find clothing suitable for the party. When I showed up to his house he was dressed in a baby blue pair of track pants, a baby blue Air Jordan track jacket and an NC beanie. His shoes were also white and baby blue.

Here's a little snippet of what was said.

Him: Are you ready to go?
Me: (looking him up and down) No, I'm not going anywhere with you dressed like that.
Him: What? Shut up! Let's go.
Me: No, the party's tonight and you look like an idiot.
Him: C'mon, let's go.
Me: I'm not kidding; you're not getting in my car dressed like a glow in the dark condom.
Him: you know it looks good.
Me: It really doesn't and if you don't change I'm leaving. I am actually embarrassed for you right now. The only time it's acceptable to wear something like that is if are warming up before a tar heels basketball game.
Him: Fine, give me a minute.

His style of clothing has always been a controversial topic between us. He sometimes likes to wear a blazers jump suit which I inevitably shoot down. Oh and don't get me started on the time he bought a pink shirt.
Old 05-30-2006, 11:34 AM   #36
IwasHere
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSeahawks
He drinks no more than he used to and he eats no more.
I think it is common for people in the 18-25 age to put on a lot of weight suddenly, after puberty ends and their metabolism slows down.

It sucks getting older.
IwasHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 11:35 AM   #37
GoSeahawks
High School Varsity

I have laughed so many times reading some of these comments. I really like getting back in shape after the baby's born.

I don't sense a lot of sympathy for fat people.
Old 05-30-2006, 11:36 AM   #38
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Last weekend we were invited to a pimps and hoes party. Earlier in the day we had plans to go to the Good Will and find clothing suitable for the party. When I showed up to his house he was dressed in a baby blue pair of track pants, a baby blue Air Jordan track jacket and an NC beanie. His shoes were also white and baby blue.

Me: (looking him up and down) No, I'm not going anywhere with you dressed like that.
Me: I'm not kidding; you're not getting in my car dressed like a glow in the dark condom.
Me: It really doesn't and if you don't change I'm leaving. I am actually embarrassed for you right now. The only time it's acceptable to wear something like that is if are warming up before a tar heels basketball game.

His style of clothing has always been a controversial topic between us. He sometimes likes to wear a blazers jump suit which I inevitably shoot down. Oh and don't get me started on the time he bought a pink shirt.

The excessive matching gets on my nerves as well. To each his own, i guess.
Old 05-30-2006, 11:42 AM   #39
IwasHere
Banned

Now, what is wrong with the way Kevin James dresses?
IwasHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 08:15 PM   #40
Crim
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I don't sense a lot of sympathy for fat people whom we do not know and are easily made fun of because most of us would rather joke at someone else's expense than seriously try to help.

Yeah I noticed that, too. BTW someone should tell that fat chick to throw an epilady on her damn face! That shit's disgusting. Seriously.

Crim

RIP
Crim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 08:31 PM   #41
astrosfan64
College Prospect

Quote:

I think you guys are secretly in love with each other.

This conversation highlights the above perfectly. BTW you would be the chick in the relationship.

A list of the signs...
  • You care about his weight gain. (chick)
  • He doesn't care about his weight gain (guy)
  • He thinks he looks fly in his outfit (guy)
  • You don't think he looks good and refuse to go with him unless he changes (chick)
  • You feel the need to talk about your issue (chick)
  • I doubt he is on a message board talking about it (guy)

I would suggest you guys rent brokeback mountain and talk about it.
astrosfan64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 08:33 PM   #42
amdaily
College Prospect

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrosfan64
I think you guys are secretly in love with each other.

This conversation highlights the above perfectly. BTW you would be the chick in the relationship.

A list of the signs...
  • You care about his weight gain. (chick)
  • He doesn't care about his weight gain (guy)
  • He thinks he looks fly in his outfit (guy)
  • You don't think he looks good and refuse to go with him unless he changes (chick)
  • You feel the need to talk about your issue (chick)
  • I doubt he is on a message board talking about it (guy)
I would suggest you guys rent brokeback mountain and talk about it.

We need a Post Of The Day icon around here
amdaily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 08:50 PM   #43
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!!
Excessive weight gain over a 7-8 month period is not that uncommon. He will have to work hard to get back in shape once the baby is born though...

25 bonus points AND the match.
Old 05-30-2006, 08:55 PM   #44
PilotMan
Head Coach

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by amdaily
We need a Post Of The Day icon around here

Post of the day. hell, that goes under the Post of the Year category!

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 09:39 PM   #45
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrosfan64
[*]I doubt he is on a message board talking about it (guy)

I am sure he'd be happy to know his buddy is posting his pics on a message board though.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 09:51 PM   #46
astrosfan64
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo
I am sure he'd be happy to know his buddy is posting his pics on a message board though.

good point
astrosfan64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 10:02 PM   #47
GoSeahawks
High School Varsity

Lol, yeah we're pretty gay. And he's kept pretty up to date on this thread. He really enjoyed the angry weight comment.
Old 05-30-2006, 10:04 PM   #48
GoSeahawks
High School Varsity

Also, he's the female in our relationship. He's the one that always calls and tries to get me to spend time with him. And he's really into his hair and fashion. I'm not concerned with either.
Old 05-30-2006, 10:06 PM   #49
Joe
Pro Starter

Quote:
Last weekend we were invited to a pimps and hoes party.

WTF is that?
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 10:08 PM   #50
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
And he's really into his hair and fashion.
These pictures say otherwise.