Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-28-2006, 12:57 AM   #1
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Kitty is gone(Update)

Somehow kitty got out of our apartment on friday, it looks like she climbed out of a 4 inch gap in second story window and then went down a sloping roof, and off into the wilderness. I worked all night friday night, I guess at some point my wife realized she was gone, and looked everywhere in the house. When I got home, I looked for her for a couple hours saturday morning, and got nowhere. Making up fliers for the neighborhood, hopefully someone will have seen her, but I'm doubtful. I wasn't a big fan of the cat, but I'm saddened cause the kids are upset.

Last edited by stevew : 02-22-2007 at 05:42 AM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 01:08 AM   #2
Franklinnoble
Banned

This happened to me once. I lived in a second floor apartment, and one evening, the cat must have fallen off the balcony. I looked all over, hung posters, etc. Didn't see it again.

Until about two years later. Some folks in an apartment a few buildings over had taken it in as a "stray" and adopted it as their own. I never said anything - I figured the cat was happy, and they were happy with it, and I saw no reason to introduce any hard feelings.

Cats are pretty resilient creatures. I hope you find yours. But if you don't, assure your kids that it's probably doing just fine on its own right now.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 01:16 AM   #3
bosshogg23
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew
Somehow kitty got out of our apartment on friday, it looks like she climbed out of a 4 inch gap in second story window and then went down a sloping roof, and off into the wilderness. I worked all night friday night, I guess at some point my wife realized she was gone, and looked everywhere in the house. When I got home, I looked for her for a couple hours saturday morning, and got nowhere. Making up fliers for the neighborhood, hopefully someone will have seen her, but I'm doubtful. I wasn't a big fan of the cat, but I'm saddened cause the kids are upset.

Steve, Dyna lost his dad's dog on Friday as well, bad day for pets. Not sure if they ever found the dog, as of Saturday morning they had not.

Seems easier to find cats though, I lost my cat a time or two and always retrieved him. Gluck with finding the cat!
bosshogg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 08:05 AM   #4
JeeberD
General Manager

One of my cats once jumped (or fell) off our third story balcony. We didn't realize he was missing until an hour later, and then spent probably a half hour searching in the apartment. We were probably searching outside for 10 minutes or so when the fiancee' decided to take a close look in the bushes right below our balcony, and there has was. All he suffered was a bloody front paw...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 08:12 AM   #5
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Leave a dish of cat food outside your door - many cats who wander away from home will return. If there is food there, ktty will keep returning knowing where it can eat.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 08:12 AM   #6
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Unfortunately it's so wide open here that there are so many places she could be, I'll check with the neighbors today, but she either ran off in the woods, or got hit by a car, or something to that extent.
Old 05-28-2006, 08:14 AM   #7
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla
Leave a dish of cat food outside your door - many cats who wander away from home will return. If there is food there, ktty will keep returning knowing where it can eat.

I'll try that, but I live on the 2nd floor, so it would be very hard for her to clim all the steps up to the place I think.
Old 05-28-2006, 08:27 AM   #8
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Once a week passes, it's up to the cat.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 10:08 AM   #9
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

get another fleebag, the kids will forget the old one
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 10:19 AM   #10
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Until the old one comes back and now you have two.

As it happened when I was a kid.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 10:38 AM   #11
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

awww

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 11:06 AM   #12
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I've had one cat survive about 4 months through summer and fall before returning home(after we had moved). The thing was a wuss before and a tough hardened beast after. Though it slowly returned to it's wussy self.

Another one survived two months in the middle of winter with a foot of snow on the ground, though that one wasn't in to good shape mentally and physically once found. Took a long time to get back to it's normal self(minus a tail).

There are indeed resiliant animals.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 11:10 AM   #13
st.cronin
General Manager

Cats and dogs can be cheaply and painlessly "microchipped" which just means there is a tiny microchip under their skin containing your name and address. Obviously it doesn't help you if your cat gets hit by a car, but if a neighbor picks up your cat and takes him to a vet, the vet will be able to tell whose cat it is. Most clinics and animal shelters automatically scan all animals to find out if they have been "chipped."

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 11:14 AM   #14
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin
Cats and dogs can be cheaply and painlessly "microchipped" which just means there is a tiny microchip under their skin containing your name and address. Obviously it doesn't help you if your cat gets hit by a car, but if a neighbor picks up your cat and takes him to a vet, the vet will be able to tell whose cat it is. Most clinics and animal shelters automatically scan all animals to find out if they have been "chipped."

Good point. Our cats are both indoor cats, but these stories remind me that accidents can happen. We love our cats so much and would hate for them to disappear. Fortunately, neither of them seem to have ANY interest in walking out the front door or leaving the house when we have a door open for a minute. Anyway, I hope you find your cat soon, Steve.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 11:33 AM   #15
Swaggs
Coordinator

We lost our cat for two weeks when I was a little kid. It eventually came back home and we had it for like 12 more years.

I would go with leaving food out.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 12:02 PM   #16
hukarez
College Starter

I just lost my 2nd friggin' turtle yesterday from my yard. It's pretty sealed off, no real way for it to climb out - or under the gates on either end. I'm left to presume that a hawk or some winged creature swooped down and carried it off elsewhere.
Filipino Martial Arts Digest
tweet tweet twitter
hukarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 12:36 PM   #17
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

Quote:
Until the old one comes back and now you have two.

As it happened when I was a kid.

if that happens take one cat for a little "trip". drive to a neighborhood he doesnt know, open door, toss cat out. problem solved. i know cause my family has done this to a few strays that tried to make our home his
Old 05-28-2006, 12:38 PM   #18
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletsponge
if that happens take one cat for a little "trip". drive to a neighborhood he doesnt know, open door, toss cat out. problem solved. i know cause my family has done this to a few strays that tried to make our home his

Oh goodie, we now know you're both a troll & a scumbag.
Old 05-28-2006, 01:03 PM   #19
RendeR
Coordinator

check all drawers in your house...I just found one of our cats IN a closed drawer! She had been in there most of the day without making a damned sound....
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 01:04 PM   #20
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletsponge

What a complete and utter asshole.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 01:08 PM   #21
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Ditto what Render said about checking drawers & such. Had the same thing happen with one of ours, it was almost like she was embarassed to cry to get out after getting herself closed into Will's dresser.

Also, crazy as it might sound, check under any beds she could be under. A previous cat used to get inside the box springs, through a tear in the lining underneath.
Old 05-28-2006, 01:15 PM   #22
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

I'm really not a cat person but losing a pet for a kid is a tragedy. Good luck stevew.

and ditto what RendeR said about the idiotic sponge. geez.

FM
Old 05-28-2006, 01:16 PM   #23
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

You may also check out any other hiding places, no matter how weird they sound. Last summer, I thought Oz had gotten out of my parents' house when the garage door was left open for too long. Even after closing the garage door and making all kinds of noises (shaking his bottle of treats, honking the car horn, making the noise that he usually responds to, etc etc), there was still no sign that he was there--no mewing, no movement, no nothing. About an hour later, I decided to start going through the garage box by box (at the time, all of my furniture and boxes from my old apartment had been there), finally I found Oz, in the back corner, under 3 boxes and near the lawnmower. Little cat had been sleeping there, quite soundly, and as I said, hadn't responded to any of the noises I made that usually had him coming running.

Either way, good luck. When I thought I'd lost Oz, I was pretty upset, I can imagine what it feels like for you (and your kids).

/tk
Old 05-28-2006, 01:17 PM   #24
Bad-example
College Starter

I moved to an apartment years ago and, after 2 weeks in the new place, my cat got out and was gone for 10 days. What worked for me was to walk around the block at 10 pm making the clicking noise I used to call her at feeding time. Cats are nocturnal and it is quiet at that hour. I was able to hear her replying to my call from a neighboring apartment building roof. She was emaciated but otherwise fine.

I hope yours comes back soon.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 01:33 PM   #25
Joe
Pro Starter

check out the neighborhood a little more closely. a few years ago one of our cats who never goes outside got trapped in our neighbor's garage before they went on vacation.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 01:53 PM   #26
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR
check all drawers in your house...I just found one of our cats IN a closed drawer! She had been in there most of the day without making a damned sound....

I'll third or fourth this. During our Katrina evacuation, I was freaking out at a hotel because I thought one of our cats escaped from the hotel room. It turns out he was stuck behind a drawer in the dresser. It was only when he started crying from inside their that we found him. Since, then we've found him inside a drawer at our old apartment when we thought he had somehow got out.
Old 05-28-2006, 04:16 PM   #27
st.cronin
General Manager

My cat, Sufi, exited our second floor apartment briefly when we were living in Madison. After searching pretty much the entire neighborhood, including in some dumpsters, I found her about 7 feet from the building, hiding under a bush.

knives out
Old 06-02-2006, 08:17 PM   #28
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Kitty came home a few minutes ago. I think the rain got to her. I had been putting food out, and noticed that it was gone, so I was holding out some hope for her. Now I need to make sure to take her to the vet this week, to get spayed.
Old 06-02-2006, 08:18 PM   #29
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Kitty came home a few minutes ago. I think the rain got to her. I had been putting food out, and noticed that it was gone, so I was holding out some hope for her. Now I need to make sure to take her to the vet this week, to get spayed.

Woot!

Last edited by RPI-Fan : 06-02-2006 at 08:18 PM.
RPI-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 08:21 PM   #30
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Double woot
Old 06-02-2006, 08:22 PM   #31
st.cronin
General Manager

I love a happy ending!

knives out
Old 06-02-2006, 08:25 PM   #32
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

sweet!

FM
Old 06-02-2006, 08:29 PM   #33
stevew
Hall Of Famer

You guys should have seen the size of this racoon I saw the other day when i was looking for her. Fricking thing had it's own area code.
Old 06-02-2006, 08:36 PM   #34
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I'm very happy for you and your kids that Kitty came home
Old 06-02-2006, 08:53 PM   #35
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Hooray! Yay for Kitty Cat!
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 09:04 PM   #36
ScottVib
High School Varsity

Good ending.
ScottVib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 09:57 PM   #37
Swaggs
Coordinator

Good news.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 10:05 PM   #38
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

Quote:
I love a happy ending!

yes, exept for poor kitty getting spayed
Old 06-02-2006, 10:49 PM   #39
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

I guess somebody decided not to masturbate.
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 09:44 AM   #40
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonzie

Either that, or this kitty caught a break but another kitty didn't....
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 11:04 AM   #41
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Glad to hear kitty came home.

Hopefully you've patched up the area where you think she got out?

/tk
Old 06-03-2006, 11:48 AM   #42
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I saw the thread title and expected awful things. I'm glad to see I was wrong.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 06-03-2006 at 11:48 AM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 05:14 PM   #43
Comey
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonzie

Pumpy took one for the team, and held out hope.

I am assuming he's relieved, and indisposed.

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 05:36 PM   #44
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Yay! Kitty!

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 05:42 PM   #45
TheOhioStateUniversity
High School Varsity

Cats are very interesting creatures. We had an outdoor cat that my mother's husband got tired of, so he dropped him off at some park and told us he was lost. Well weeks went by and my sisters and I had basically given up hope. One morning we opened the door to our house and there was midnight our black cat. He wasnt in the greatest shape but somehow he found our house again.

Last edited by TheOhioStateUniversity : 06-03-2006 at 05:42 PM.
TheOhioStateUniversity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 05:52 PM   #46
JeeberD
General Manager

Awesome, glad he's back!

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 10:58 PM   #47
Franklinnoble
Banned

Find a no-kill animal outreach type place to get kitty spayed... it'll be reasonably priced.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 11:48 PM   #48
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottVib
Good ending.

Ending? This is a cat. It hasn't ended, it's only just begun.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 05:42 AM   #49
stevew
Hall Of Famer

So, yeah, I moved out of that apartment, kitty never got out of the house again. Didn't get around to getting her spayed. Moved into the new house about 3-4 months ago. Well, somehow there is a bit of a gap underneath the front porch, which there is a crawlspace that leads to the basement. There was a piece of wood blocking off the crawlspace from the basement. Well, a month or so ago I go down in the basement, and the board looks like it got knocked down or something.

2 kittens were born alive today, 2 didn't make it. Damn kids having kids.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:58 AM   #50
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
The update seems like an invitation for another bulletsponge appearance.