Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-02-2003, 06:02 PM   #1
jander
n00b

Thumbs up AFL on NBC

Any thoughts on the coverage? I thought they did a very good job (alot better than they did with the NFL/NBA/XFL). The only part that I was not crazy about is watching the San Jose/Arizona game...I would have much rather have seen the NY/Dallas or Georgia/Colorado game, heck all of the other games were better, but they did good by cutting away from the blowout and giving the end of the NY/Dallas game (boy, the refs lost that game for NY). The post game was good, the annoucers all sounded good...the one I wondered about was Michael Irvin, but he really impressed me too. I am hoping the ratings are good enough to help this deal last a long time, and hoping a nice 15-30 min pregame from the NY studios too. My hat is off to NBC for this for sure!!!

I think the scoreboard was nice looking too (a bit different, but I like it) I wonder what they charge Wendy's, Bud, etc for the ad on the scoreboard, very very clever idea, make some extra $$$.

I think NBC put alot more thought into the AFL than they did covering the XFL.

jander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 06:55 PM   #2
Flame Eater
H.S. Freshman Team

I watched the NY/DAL game.

The game calling was very good (w/Pat Haden).

I thought the halftime studio program was a little cheesy, but you are right, it was much better than the XFL.

I love the Arena League (old ALBANY Firebirds fan)...I hope this all works out well for them.
Flame Eater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 06:55 PM   #3
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

I got the NY/Dallas game here in New Jersey, and yes the refs blew it big time on that field goal. Cost them the game.

I turned to my girlfriend and said how amazingly tight the halftime show was for a first broadcast. They were moving quickly, interacting well, and genuinely talking football. Talking about the NFL also helps as well. It gives them the impression of really talking "football" rather than just about the AFL.

I'll probably watch all season long to try to avoid the football hangover, and I hope the ratings are at least good enough to keep them around next year. If their ratings are at least passable, they'll have a good shot at long-term growth.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 07:09 PM   #4
FBPro
College Starter

I enjoyed the Dallas/NY game, wanted to see Georgia/Colo. but oh well. I thought the game was fairly exciting and well played. Seemed "professional" when placed against the XFL(ugh).

I'll tune in again.
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 08:00 PM   #5
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Georgia/Colorado was VERY good. Very entertaining. I'll watch it next week .
Old 02-02-2003, 08:19 PM   #6
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

A few more thoughts:

Michael Irvin was a bit much at times, and ocassionally would completely ignore the question he was being asked by the main half-time host in order to just say something he wanted to say. Overall I thought the 3 had pretty good interaction.

The whole halftime show was basically on par with the NFL in terms of production. I have to say I was a bit surprised, and definitely impressed. As long as NBC allows themselves to sell AFL for what it is, I think they'll succeed. I think embracing the NFL rather than trying to challenge it (as the XFL foolishly did) also helps their credibility a lot. You'd be nuts If you tried to tout the AFL as superior, but they do have a nice angle with it's uniqueness.

Again, I think it helps the AFL and NBC that they decided to move the season back to february-may. It accomplishes a lot of positive things: they have the post-NFL momentum working for them, their players no longer have to decide whether to finish their AFL season or try to make an NFL roster, they will probably end up landing more players on NFL teams. As much as losing players to the NFL might seem like a bad thing, I think in the long term it serves as a sort of permanent advertisement. Kurt Warner has probably helped their cause more than we can imagine.

Being a huge NFL fan as well, I can't help but like the fact that for some positions, Arena ball can work as a true minor league. It's a great place for receievers, cornerbacks, and quarterbacks to hone their skills. Lineman I'm not so sure about.

It's also a nice home for ex-NFL players who just can't drop that football habit.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 09:37 PM   #7
sabotai
General Manager

"Seemed "professional" when placed against the XFL"

Pop Warner feels professional when placed against the XFL...

I also got the NY/Dallas game. I really hope NBC doesn't give out on it. I like the Arena League.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 11:04 PM   #8
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

The only way we it can last is if we keep tuning in and to spread the word .
Old 02-02-2003, 11:40 PM   #9
Easy Mac

The only way it can last is if people with Neilsen boxes are watching it.

And from what I can tell those are some dumb fucking people.

Can they just put broadband in every TV, saying what we watch? I know that can lead to privacy issues, but just make it so they're not allowed to ask us our names and stuff. Then we could really see what America likes to watch. I think execs might be suprised.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 11:44 PM   #10
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

I think NBC would do better picking up MLS, but thats just my opinion.
Old 02-03-2003, 01:41 AM   #11
Rich1033
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally posted by GoldenEagle
I think NBC would do better picking up MLS, but thats just my opinion.

I dont agree with that at all. Nobody watched them on ESPN. why now?
Rich1033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 07:14 AM   #12
cincyreds
High School Varsity

Yes!! Tuning in we shall....

Let the AFL Revolution begin!! Spread the word!!
Old 02-03-2003, 08:19 AM   #13
Flame Eater
H.S. Freshman Team

As stated before...I love the Arena League. But the cheerleaders/dancers in the endzones are very distracting.

The Dallas ladies are painfully hot!

That was my favorite part about games in Albany...a football play...watch the ladies dance...a football play...watch the ladies dance......
Flame Eater is offline   Reply With Quote