Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-10-2006, 12:21 PM   #1
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

A dozen 6-8 year olds accused of sexual assault.

I have absolutely no witty quip to make for this one.. except to say.. THE FUCK????????

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/05/10/gra....ap/index.html

ST. LOUIS, Missouri (AP) -- Twelve boys in the first and second grade at a St. Louis elementary school are accused of sexually assaulting a second-grade girl during recess, authorities said Tuesday.

One teacher who was supposed to be supervising the recess has been fired, and another suspended with pay, school superintendent Creg Williams said. Ten of the boys, ages 6 to 8, were suspended for the rest of the school year, and the other two received five-day, in-school suspensions.

No names were released.

The girl, who is 8, was unharmed physically but will not return for the rest of the school year. "We don't know what type of emotional scars it will have on the young lady," Williams said.

The incident happened Friday at Columbia Accelerated Community Educational Center, a school with 400 students in pre-kindergarten through sixth grade on the city's north side.

During the recess shortly after lunch, a student alerted a teacher when he saw several boys huddled around the girl who was on the ground.

Police turned the investigation over to juvenile authorities. A court official said the boys could face misdemeanor counts of sexual misconduct and assault.

SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 12:23 PM   #2
IwasHere
Banned

What exactly makes this a Sexual Assault?
IwasHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 12:24 PM   #3
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

guess what they were doing to the girl? I dunno.
Old 05-10-2006, 12:28 PM   #4
SunDevil
College Prospect

"During the recess shortly after lunch, a student alerted a teacher when he saw several boys huddled around the girl who was on the ground."

I think people can get an idea of what sexual nature that this picture can present. Granted, this is the only sentence that can explain how this can be sexual assualt.
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 12:30 PM   #5
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Local newspaper has more details & an update

One Columbia Elementary School teacher was fired and another suspended with pay for a lack of attentiveness that St. Louis schools Superintendent Creg Williams said led to a possible sexual assault on a school playground Friday.

Ten first- and second-grade boys thought to be responsible for the attack on an 8-year-old girl have been suspended for the rest of the school year, district officials said. Two others received in-school suspensions for five days each.

The two boys who got the lesser punishment kissed the girl, a district official said. Other boys held her down. Authorities were trying to determine the extent of the sexual contact. The victim's great-aunt said that based on her conversations with the girl and with her own son, who was at the school that day, she believed the boys were trying to poke their fingers into her and that the girl was fighting to keep her underpants on.

No charges had been filed, but all 12 boys - one 6-year-old, seven 7-year-olds and four 8-year-olds - are expected to be referred to the city's Family Court on misdemeanor charges of first-degree sexual misconduct and third-degree assault, said assistant court administrator Kathryn Herman.
The superintendent said he disciplined the teachers - who were on playground duty Friday - after meeting Monday with the girl's family and Columbia administrators.

"These individuals must be held accountable for the children left in their stead," Williams said at a Tuesday news conference. "I'm not messing around with this."

The victim's great-aunt, serving as a spokesperson for the family, said the family did not want the teachers involved fired because the family did not want the teachers' lives and careers ruined.

"We don't want an eye for an eye," the great-aunt said. "We just want this situation to be handled in the right way, and we want it in a timely manner."

That would mean a reprimand, a suspension and a stern lesson learned, she said, plus counseling for the boys involved.
Old 05-10-2006, 12:30 PM   #6
Schmidty
Coordinator

Maybe they had their penises out or something. It said the girl was unharmed physically, so it was probably a "I'll show you mine, you show me yours", except the girl didn't want to.
Old 05-10-2006, 12:31 PM   #7
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Just fucking disgusting...the hell they teaching kids in school these days?
Old 05-10-2006, 12:31 PM   #8
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Subject to more details emerging, tenative props to the superintendent for taking action instead of trying to cover up the situation.
Old 05-10-2006, 12:34 PM   #9
CraigSca
Pro Starter

I don't know if I'd be as understanding as the great Aunt. If my daughter suffered an attempted sexual violation at recess A) I'd take her the hell out of that school. B) Sue the asses of the teachers who weren't doing their job C) Wonder where in the hell 6-8 year olds get the idea to do something like that.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 12:35 PM   #10
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Holy crap! That poor girl .
Old 05-10-2006, 12:35 PM   #11
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca
I don't know if I'd be as understanding as the great Aunt. If my daughter suffered an attempted sexual violation at recess A) I'd take her the hell out of that school. B) Sue the asses of the teachers who weren't doing their job C) Wonder where in the hell 6-8 year olds get the idea to do something like that.
In keeping with today's FOFC theme, and being the parent of a little girl, I believe some ass-kickings would be in order as well.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 12:36 PM   #12
KevinNU7
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
"We don't want an eye for an eye," the great-aunt said. "We just want this situation to be handled in the right way, and we want it in a timely manner."

This lady rocks
Old 05-10-2006, 12:44 PM   #13
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
C) Wonder where in the hell 6-8 year olds get the idea to do something like that.

The boys probably hacked the XBox360 game Oblivion and saw a nipple texture. Thank god for the ESRB.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 12:44 PM   #14
IwasHere
Banned

Quote:
Local newspaper has more details & an update
The victim's great-aunt said that based on her conversations with the girl and with her own son, who was at the school that day, she believed the boys were trying to poke their fingers into her and that the girl was fighting to keep her underpants on.
I am pretty sure this is rape. No misdemeanor counts here. These boys should be facing serious chargers.

They knocked the girl down; then held her down as their friends took turns penetrating her with their fingers. I am pretty sure that is rape.
Old 05-10-2006, 12:45 PM   #15
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by IwasHere
I am pretty sure this is rape. No misdemeanor counts here. These boys should be facing serious chargers.

They knocked the girl down; then held her down as their friends took turns penetrating her with their fingers. I am pretty sure that is rape.

are you sure?
Old 05-10-2006, 12:49 PM   #16
IwasHere
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf
are you sure?
No, but after reading the 2 articles that is the conclussion I came to.

At first I thought this was another Bull-Shit boy kisses girl on the playground story.
Old 05-10-2006, 12:51 PM   #17
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Based on Missouri state law (from hxxp://www.missouri.edu/~sls/sls/lc/wwwTips/SexOffenses.html):

Section 566.010 Chapter Definitions
(1) "Deviate sexual intercourse" means any act involving the genitals of one person and the mouth, tongue, or anus of another person or a sexual act involving the penetration, however slight, of the male or female sex organ or the anus by a finger, instrument or object done for the purpose of arousing or gratifying the sexual desire of any person;

Section 566.060 Forcible sodomy
1. A person commits the crime of forcible sodomy if such person has deviate sexual intercourse with another person by the use of forcible compulsion. Forcible compulsion includes the use of a substance administered without a victim's knowledge or consent which renders the victim physically or mentally impaired so as to be incapable of making an informed consent to sexual intercourse.
2. Forcible sodomy or an attempt to commit forcible sodomy is a felony for which the authorized term of imprisonment is life imprisonment or a term of years not less than five years, unless in the course thereof the actor inflicts serious physical injury or displays a deadly weapon or dangerous instrument in a threatening manner or subjects the victim to sexual intercourse or deviate sexual intercourse with more than one person, in which case the authorized term of imprisonment is life imprisonment or a term of years not less than ten years.
Comment: Again, forcible compulsion can be: physical force that overcomes reasonable resistance, or a threat that places a person in reasonable fear of death, serious physical injury or kidnapping. This statute is used to prosecute forced deviate sex between two people, which is any form of sexual intercourse other than penile penetration of the vagina. Sexual intercourse with animals used to be included in this crime, but has since been removed and is not found in any other criminal statute.

Seems pretty clear to me, if they can prove this occurred.
how do you know?

Last edited by CraigSca : 05-10-2006 at 12:52 PM.
CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 12:51 PM   #18
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla
In keeping with today's FOFC theme, and being the parent of a little girl, I believe some ass-kickings would be in order as well.

If it was my girl, it wouldn't be ass-KICKINGs dealt out.. more like going Rambo
Old 05-10-2006, 12:52 PM   #19
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
No, but after reading the 2 articles that is the conclussion I came to.

At first I thought this was another Bull-Shit boy kisses girl on the playground story.

I am sure this is right.
Old 05-10-2006, 12:57 PM   #20
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Based on Missouri state law (from hxxp://www.missouri.edu/~sls/sls/lc/wwwTips/SexOffenses.html):

Section 566.010 Chapter Definitions
(1) "Deviate sexual intercourse" means any act involving the genitals of one person and the mouth, tongue, or anus of another person or a sexual act involving the penetration, however slight, of the male or female sex organ or the anus by a finger, instrument or object done for the purpose of arousing or gratifying the sexual desire of any person;

Section 566.060 Forcible sodomy
1. A person commits the crime of forcible sodomy if such person has deviate sexual intercourse with another person by the use of forcible compulsion. Forcible compulsion includes the use of a substance administered without a victim's knowledge or consent which renders the victim physically or mentally impaired so as to be incapable of making an informed consent to sexual intercourse.
2. Forcible sodomy or an attempt to commit forcible sodomy is a felony for which the authorized term of imprisonment is life imprisonment or a term of years not less than five years, unless in the course thereof the actor inflicts serious physical injury or displays a deadly weapon or dangerous instrument in a threatening manner or subjects the victim to sexual intercourse or deviate sexual intercourse with more than one person, in which case the authorized term of imprisonment is life imprisonment or a term of years not less than ten years.
Comment: Again, forcible compulsion can be: physical force that overcomes reasonable resistance, or a threat that places a person in reasonable fear of death, serious physical injury or kidnapping. This statute is used to prosecute forced deviate sex between two people, which is any form of sexual intercourse other than penile penetration of the vagina. Sexual intercourse with animals used to be included in this crime, but has since been removed and is not found in any other criminal statute.

Seems pretty clear to me, if they can prove this occurred.

From what I read, it sounded like there wasn't penetration just the attempt (although it's not clear).
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 01:00 PM   #21
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Did a quick look-up of the school involved ... most recent figures from the state DOE show over 97% of the students are free/reduced lunch eligible, with 5 yr figures ranging from 95% to 99.7%.

Free/Reduced are a commonly used indicator of the economics of a given school & those figures are pretty much the highest I've ever seen for any school anywhere I've looked. Based on that, I'm guessing this is one tough neighborhood (maybe one of our St.Louis FOFC'ers can fill in the blanks a little better).
Old 05-10-2006, 01:01 PM   #22
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I am sure that I know what rkmsuf is saying here.
Old 05-10-2006, 01:03 PM   #23
IwasHere
Banned

Quote:
Did a quick look-up of the school involved ... most recent figures from the state DOE show over 97% of the students are free/reduced lunch eligible, with 5 yr figures ranging from 95% to 99.7%.

Free/Reduced are a commonly used indicator of the economics of a given school & those figures are pretty much the highest I've ever seen for any school anywhere I've looked. Based on that, I'm guessing this is one tough neighborhood (maybe one of our St.Louis FOFC'ers can fill in the blanks a little better).
In other words the School will soon be getting the living Shit sued out of it.
Old 05-10-2006, 01:07 PM   #24
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors

I was sure you did.
Old 05-10-2006, 01:09 PM   #25
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:

Maybe that IwasHere might be here but wasn't there when it happened and thus can't know for sure what really happened (see "They knocked the girl down; then held her down as their friends took turns penetrating her with their fingers.")

About the story, this is just awful.

FM
Old 05-10-2006, 01:15 PM   #26
Hawglaw
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:

Your hunch is correct. The school is in a very rough part of the city.
Hawglaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 01:18 PM   #27
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan
Maybe that IwasHere might be here but wasn't there when it happened and thus can't know for sure what really happened (see "They knocked the girl down; then held her down as their friends took turns penetrating her with their fingers.")
I am sure that rkmsuf was just saying that he was sure.

(outside of the actual thread topic, there's a running joke going on here)
Old 05-10-2006, 01:18 PM   #28
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:

surely you jest
Old 05-10-2006, 01:19 PM   #29
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:

then I'll step out of the joke. I don't run well when I don't read all the threads going on in one day

FM
Old 05-10-2006, 01:33 PM   #30
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee
From what I read, it sounded like there wasn't penetration just the attempt (although it's not clear).
from what i gathered her underpants never came off, so rape isnt the case...attempted, maybe...but i dont see rape with underpants on and supposedly fingers and not penis if that politically correct to say
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 01:38 PM   #31
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Fingers penetrating is certainly rape. Also, underpants don't have to come off for penetration to occur.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 01:41 PM   #32
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
The victim's great-aunt said that based on her conversations with the girl and with her own son, who was at the school that day, she believed the boys were trying to poke their fingers into her and that the girl was fighting to keep her underpants on.

I read this as saying they attempted, but didn't succeed in penetration. But like I said it's unclear and there was also mention that it's still being investigated.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 01:48 PM   #33
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
Also, underpants don't have to come off for penetration to occur.

ssshhhhhhhhhhh......don't tell blade that.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 01:53 PM   #34
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
Fingers penetrating is certainly rape. Also, underpants don't have to come off for penetration to occur.
like bee said, i got the impression they were trying to get her underpants off, and trying to poke with their fingers..im not sure at 6-8 they have the capacity of knowing how to rape a girl yet, so im assuming they didnt actually penetrate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubb93
ssshhhhhhhhhhh......don't tell blade that.
AHHHHH, my whole core belief system in life is crashing before my very eyes!! BLASPHEMY!!!!
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
Old 05-10-2006, 01:59 PM   #35
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
These boys should be facing serious chargers.

They're 8. While I think this is horrible, I am not sure how you do that.
Old 05-10-2006, 02:08 PM   #36
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
like bee said, i got the impression they were trying to get her underpants off, and trying to poke with their fingers..im not sure at 6-8 they have the capacity of knowing how to rape a girl yet, so im assuming they didnt actually penetrate.

One kid with an older brother, or really messed up parents, can learn this stuff without really knowing what it is exactly.

Last edited by jeff061 : 05-10-2006 at 02:08 PM.
jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 02:30 PM   #37
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061
One kid with an older brother, or really messed up parents, can learn this stuff without really knowing what it is exactly.

Sure, and then if one kid starts doing something, other kids follow. That's how kids are, they don't think about what they're doing, they just follow along. 6-8 year olds, you often don't get a lot of reasoning skills there, not a lot of forethought regarding consequences.
Old 05-10-2006, 02:32 PM   #38
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

I think because of the ages you can't punish the kids criminally, or atleast in my mind you shouldn't. I think some serious court mandated school sponsored early sex education classes as well as crime and punishment classes should be given to these kids. They are 6-8, while they know right from wrong for the most part I'm sure they don't have good reasoning skills and many of the kids had no clue what was going on. Follow the leader type deal.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 02:36 PM   #39
Daimyo
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade6119
like bee said, i got the impression they were trying to get her underpants off, and trying to poke with their fingers..
and you don't consider that sexual assault?
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 02:38 PM   #40
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimyo
and you don't consider that sexual assault?
Sexual assault, maybe..rape, no...i dont think they achieved either(underpants off or penetration...the article said trying, not doing), and the difference between rape and lower level sexual crimes is a big deal, regardless of age level.
Demotivation
Old 05-10-2006, 02:39 PM   #41
Blade6119
Coordinator

dola, in reagrds to punishment...they are in the wrong 100%, but severity of punishment is now the key
Demotivation
Old 05-10-2006, 02:48 PM   #42
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
In other words the School will soon be getting the living Shit sued out of it.

No. In other words, even if the school does get the hell sued out of it, there won't be any money to give anyway. It's an incredibly poor school with incredibly poor kids attending the school.

It looks to me like the school is doing everything they possibly can and acting appropriatly in what they are doing.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 02:54 PM   #43
molson
General Manager

I grew up in a poor town and went to a poor school, and 6-8 year olds were definitly knowledgeable about this sort of thing, and though I never saw anything like this happen, I think it could have. When sexual knowledge outpaces social maturity, this stuff really doesn't surprise me (because that age group is very selfish, generally).

I'm not a Psychologist, so I won't attempt to rationalize why poorer kids in poorer areas are so advanced in their sexual knowledge, but I think that its at least possible that these incidents aren't a new phenomenon, but our vigilance in noticing it and stopping it is higher.

Last edited by molson : 05-10-2006 at 02:56 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 02:55 PM   #44
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson
I grew up in a poor town and went to a poor school, and 6-8 year olds were definitly knowledgeable about this sort of thing, and though I never saw anything like this happen, I think it could have. When sexual knowledge outpaces social maturity, this stuff really doesn't surprise me (because that age group is very selfish, generally).

I'm not a Psychologist, so I won't attempt to rationalize why poorer kids in poorer areas are so advanced in their sexual knowledge, but I think that its at least possible that these incidents aren't a new phenomenon, but our vigilence in noticing it and stopping it is higher.
Wow...since they said that was first and second grade im just amazed...i didnt even think like a girl until the third grade, and even then it was like wow, what would it be like to hold her hand...interesting to hear different view points
Demotivation
Old 05-10-2006, 03:01 PM   #45
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
i didnt even think like a girl until the third grade,

And, do you still think like one now?
Old 05-10-2006, 03:02 PM   #46
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Wow...since they said that was first and second grade im just amazed...i didnt even think like a girl until the third grade, and even then it was like wow, what would it be like to hold her hand...interesting to hear different view points

I don't think there's an actual attraction going on (even to the point of just wanting to hold hands), I think kids like this are just acting out on their sexual knowledge in the context of "teasing", with no comprehension as to why their actions are inappropriate. I can't imagine what kind of home these kids are coming from.

Last edited by molson : 05-10-2006 at 03:02 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 03:11 PM   #47
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubb93
I think because of the ages you can't punish the kids criminally, or atleast in my mind you shouldn't. I think some serious court mandated school sponsored early sex education classes as well as crime and punishment classes should be given to these kids. They are 6-8, while they know right from wrong for the most part I'm sure they don't have good reasoning skills and many of the kids had no clue what was going on. Follow the leader type deal.

But at 6-8 you have *GOT* to understand "don't hurt someone" (you've been told not to hit your brother/sister/parent innumerable times) and have to understand that when another child is kicking/screaming to leave them alone. These kids are already screwed up in some fundamental way that they need to be separated from the general school population RIGHT NOW. I'll agree on possibly no criminal stuff, but they need something pretty serious drilled into them.
Old 05-10-2006, 03:20 PM   #48
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson
I don't think there's an actual attraction going on (even to the point of just wanting to hold hands), I think kids like this are just acting out on their sexual knowledge in the context of "teasing", with no comprehension as to why their actions are inappropriate. I can't imagine what kind of home these kids are coming from.

From having a kid who is currently finishing up 2nd grade, I'd like to say that there's a lot more "sexual knowledge" in Pre-K these days than we probably had when I was in 5th grade. Now, some of this "knowledge" might be akin to a dog chasing a car but the girls in particular are quite savvy for their age (comparable to what my generation was probably 6-8 years later in school).

Some of the stuff that gets said by these kids, both bluntly and with more of a "nudge, nudge, wink, wink" approach can be awfully surprising. And, from my experiences substitute teaching for middle school ages nearly 20 years ago, I'm not really surprised. Those kids (grades 5-7) were at least as sexually aware & agressive before their teens than we were as we approached the end of high school.
Old 05-10-2006, 03:21 PM   #49
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack
But at 6-8 you have *GOT* to understand "don't hurt someone" (you've been told not to hit your brother/sister/parent innumerable times) and have to understand that when another child is kicking/screaming to leave them alone. These kids are already screwed up in some fundamental way that they need to be separated from the general school population RIGHT NOW. I'll agree on possibly no criminal stuff, but they need something pretty serious drilled into them.

I don't believe that at that age most children can understand the concept of morality or right vs wrong. They have been told innumberable times but they don't understand why yet. They just know they can't do it when the parents are around.
Old 05-10-2006, 03:50 PM   #50
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxon
And, do you still think like one now?

Asked and answered.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote