Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-07-2006, 08:36 PM   #1
Farrah Whitworth-Rahn
Red-Headed Vixen

Running A Marathon

I woke up Friday morning and decided I'd like to run a marathon. Random, yes I know. But that's how I do things these days. It's something I've always wanted to do, and now I have the time to devote to training and preparing. I finished my first 5k last month and I really enjoyed it. I've signed up for a 10k in October and I'm toying with the idea of running a half marathon in January.

Are there any FOFC'ers out there who run marathons that could offer a beginner some tips and tricks?

Thank you kindly.

Farrah Whitworth-Rahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 08:37 PM   #2
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Oh goody, I get a major opportunity to say something Completely WRONG:

Nipple guards. Figure out what to do with the highlites you got, cuz there are tons of reports of folks who ended up bleeding from that area due to chafing
Old 05-07-2006, 08:44 PM   #3
Farrah Whitworth-Rahn
Red-Headed Vixen

My nipples thank you for your concern Foz.

Ok in all seriousness...it can't be any worse than the toll breastfeeding takes on them, can it? Wait, why am I asking you?
Old 05-07-2006, 08:44 PM   #4
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farrah Whitworth-Rahn
My nipples thank you for your concern Foz.

Ok in all seriousness...it can't be any worse than the toll breastfeeding takes on them, can it? Wait, why am I asking you?

Because you're doing a scientific expiriment to see how fast a Pics Plz K Thx post occurs, and how many?
Old 05-07-2006, 08:48 PM   #5
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
offer a beginner some tips and tricks?

Old 05-07-2006, 08:49 PM   #6
Farrah Whitworth-Rahn
Red-Headed Vixen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie
Because you're doing a scientific expiriment to see how fast a Pics Plz K Thx post occurs, and how many?

Um, that's ok. I don't think I'll post pixplsthx of chafed nipples.

I will invite you to run the 10k with me, it's in DC. A short train ride away.
Old 05-07-2006, 09:03 PM   #7
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie
Oh goody, I get a major opportunity to say something Completely WRONG:

Nipple guards. Figure out what to do with the highlites you got, cuz there are tons of reports of folks who ended up bleeding from that area due to chafing

This is true. A friend of mine had a blood soaked nipple region by the end of his first marathon. Pretty gross.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 09:08 PM   #8
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Um, that's ok. I don't think I'll post pixplsthx of chafed nipples.

I will invite you to run the 10k with me, it's in DC. A short train ride away.

Well, two things..

I don't even like DRIVING 10k, never mind running.

I promised myself I'm NEVER going back to DC after my last trip to that hellhole. (not really, just a bunch of negative events happened down there)
Old 05-07-2006, 09:11 PM   #9
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

I've run a half dozen or so, but the last one was about ten years ago. (Wow, has it been that long?)

If you can run a 5k, you can train up for a marathon no problem, if you use your brain and don't get carried away, both with training and during the race.

The key is staying healthy while you train. I have no idea what your weight is, but I've seen a lot of people that start training for one that are carrying some excess baggage. After a couple of months of training, they mess up some joint, usually the knee or ankle. They're just carrying too much weight to be running that much over an extended period of time, and they increase their training time too quickly. Build up slow and steady, giving your joints/tendons days off to recover. Your legs have to get stronger and your body has to be relatively lean so it can support you during the training. Along these lines, gradual increases in weekly miles/running time is critical.

One day a week (perhaps only three times a month in the beginning) it's usually a good idea to start working on LSD (Long Slow Distance). Add just a few minutes onto your longest run. Ideally, you want to get to the point where you can run slowly for two hours with relatively little soreness/exhaustion the next day. Keep in mind that it doesn't take much to go from being able to run an hour to being able to run two hours. Getting to that first hour is tough. You'll pick up that second hour easily, but still, go slowly, increasing only a bit each week.

If you can run two/two and a half hours, you're golden, because carbo loading and cutting way back on training the week or so before the marathon will have you primed to tack on that extra hour/hour and a half it takes to get to the finish.

I've actually been toying with the idea of running the Minneapolis marathon in October. Got to build up slowly, though. I'm about ten pounds overweight, and overweight training can really wreak havoc with the joints.

Last edited by Godzilla Blitz : 05-07-2006 at 09:12 PM.
Godzilla Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 09:36 PM   #10
Logan
Head Coach

Threads like this remind me of how much of a fat bastard I am.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 10:09 PM   #11
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan

Ditto.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 10:10 PM   #12
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan

Same here...
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 10:13 PM   #13
Farrah Whitworth-Rahn
Red-Headed Vixen

Then run with me! We could form an FOFC marathon team....

Ok yes I realize how funny that was...
Old 05-07-2006, 10:20 PM   #14
Franklinnoble
Banned

Remember Rocky IV? Where Rocky does all that hardcore training in Siberia?

That's nothing like me.

I'm more like his brother-in-law Paulie... who'd rather sit inside by the fireplace and read his comic books.
Old 05-07-2006, 10:22 PM   #15
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Sounds like a dynasty thread....
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 10:38 PM   #16
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Then run with me! We could form an FOFC marathon team....

Maybe some day when I'm a sports car instead of a minivan.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 10:45 PM   #17
SackAttack
Head Coach

You know, I never had nipple bleedage in all my years as a high school cross country runner (5-7 miles a day training on distance days, 3 mile races), and that includes the day I just decided to up and run about half of the course for the Santa Clarita marathon.

I can't imagine that's a problem unless you have ridiculously sensitive nipples.

Which maybe you do, having had kids.

But yeah, I put some serious mileage underneath my shoes for about 3 years and never had so much as a chafed nipple, let alone a bloody one.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 11:38 PM   #18
Pyser
Pro Rookie

this thread makes my nipples hurt
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 02:27 AM   #19
Desmond
Banned

Over the years i've had various occurences of nipple chafing/bleeding, groin trauma, joint trouble and foot injuries. One of these days I hope to take up marathoning as well.
Desmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 03:40 AM   #20
21C
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmond
groin trauma
This was something I didn't need to read.
21C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 08:09 AM   #21
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla Blitz
IGetting to that first hour is tough. You'll pick up that second hour easily, but still, go slowly, increasing only a bit each week.

Interesting comment.

I just started running out on the road when the treadmill died a few weeks ago. Found I could run a lot longer out there and am just doing about 45-50 minutes with no walk breaks, something I never thought of even trying on the treadmill. I'm a little slower for overall pace, but I was never going to break any land-speed records anyways.

But even that outside I am only running 4.5 miles or so. Think I will skip the marathons for a while.

Oh, and I got tight 'running' shirts, that cut out any of the nipple problems I had.
Old 05-08-2006, 09:18 AM   #22
digamma
Torchbearer

I've run two and will probably run another this spring or next fall.

GodzillaBlitz gives a lot of good advice, so I don't know how much more I can add.

Buy Hal Higdon's book Marathon. It's an easy read, and has daily work-out programs for all levels. Pretty easy to follow.

There are a couple of different techniques for first time long distance runners that may be worth trying. One is a 5 minute run/one minute walk program. I know a couple of people that have done marathons this way. The other is training by the clock instead of by mileage, in other words, run for 1/2 hour or 1 hour and don't worry about how far you go.

The last 4-6 miles of a marathon absolutely suck for everyone, but the feeling at the end has been worth it for me.

Good luck!
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 09:20 AM   #23
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla Blitz
I've actually been toying with the idea of running the Minneapolis marathon in October. Got to build up slowly, though. I'm about ten pounds overweight, and overweight training can really wreak havoc with the joints.

I ran Twin Cities last fall. Don't know if you've run it before, but it's an absolutely fantastic race. Great scenery, great course, and really well organized. I'd absolutely do it again.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 09:26 AM   #24
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

I've never run a marathon, but I've done the American Birkiebeiner three times. As digamma says, the last part of any long-distance race is going to suck for most people, but finishing it, and the sense of accomplishment that follows, is a great feeling. Best of luck!
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 10:33 AM   #25
Desnudo
Coordinator

I would recommend cross-training. Rather than just running to get in shape for a road race, you can mix in lower impact stuff like biking that will keep training fresh and reduce the wear and tear on your legs. Also, lifting weights, especially to build up your core muscles is helpful. If you find it tought to motivate, a training partner or group can help.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 11:48 AM   #26
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

digamma: Congrats on the Twin Cities Marathon. That was actually the last marathon I ran, about ten years ago now. I loved the course. My only wish is that there were a few rolling hills early on. My legs seem to do better with a variety of terrain, and the course is very flat until you get to St. Paul. I was very surprised with how good/energetic the crowds were. I had heard that crowds at the Twin Cities were quiet, but I thought they were awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho
I've never run a marathon, but I've done the American Birkiebeiner three times. As digamma says, the last part of any long-distance race is going to suck for most people, but finishing it, and the sense of accomplishment that follows, is a great feeling. Best of luck!

Woot! The Birkie is a great race. I did that once a few years ago. Loads of fun.

Desnudo's comment touches on something I've been thinking about since replying to this last night...

Marathons are really tough on the joints. A possible substitute that is much softer on the legs is a mid-level triathon. The swimming is great for the upper body. Biking is much gentler on the legs. You've still got the running, but it's a much smaller percentage of the race. Also, the training is a lot more varied. If you're just looking to finish the thing, you can get by with two swims a week, two bikes a week, and two runs a week. You want to have some days before the race where you do all three, or at least two, but the variety can make the training more fun. It does take more of a time commitment, though, with the bike maintenance and getting to a pool. Running is so simple to do in comparison.
Godzilla Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 12:00 PM   #27
bbor
Pro Starter

I ran to the fridge one....cause i left a beer in the freeezer.

I am training to do it again.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 12:00 PM   #28
bbor
Pro Starter

I ran to the fridge one....cause i left a beer in the freeezer.

I am training to do it again.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 01:44 PM   #29
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Farrah,
I was training for the Marine Corps Marathon when I screwed up my ankle (well, I hurt it playing soccer, but it derailed any other plans I had). Obviously, I can't run anymore, but I still applaud your desire to run a marathon!!!!

As somebody has already said, if you can do 5k, you can do a marathon, if you train intelligently.

My first suggestion is: find a running store near you and get PROPER SHOES. A running store should be one where they specialize in the shoes, have people there who will watch you run and walk and determine which shoe will be best for your foot and plans. If you were in the DC area, I'd have 2 stores you could try, but I don't know much about AZ. Pick up a local "outdoors" magazine, and they'll usually have ads for local shops which might be good, and also check the back of Runner's World magazine. I cannot emphasize enough how important shoes are.

My second suggestion is: pick a marathon and devise your training schedule based on it. Having a plan is much easier to follow than thinking "Oh I should run" and being disorganized about it. http://www.runnersworld.com/category...55-0-0,00.html has some training plans you might be interested in.

My third suggestion sounds weird, but trust me: don't be afraid of walking. Jeff Galloway ("Run Injury Free") preaches this method and it's worked beautifully for experienced runners and novices alike. He's actually got a book, Galloway's Book on Running, which I highly recommend. If I remember correctly (I gave away my copy when I had to stop running), his book also has some training plans in it. More or less, all these plans set you up to "peak out" your training at 20-22 miles, which you run about 2 weeks before the actual marathon...then you taper down and then do your 26.2 on race day.

Fourth, keep us in the loop! Start a dynasty. Tell a lot of people. Having people there to support you (and give you flack if you start to slack) helps tremendously.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to drop me a PM. I can't run anymore, but I do miss it and think you can have a great time in a marathon. Good luck!

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 01:58 PM   #30
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Dola,
I realize I should have added: when I hurt myself, I was up to running about 18 miles, using a combination of the Galloway method and a method in the RW Women's Running Guide.

Also, Galloway's site is http://www.jeffgalloway.com

/tk
Old 05-08-2006, 02:14 PM   #31
pompey
n00b

I ran the London Marathon a couple of years back and my advice would be to get a running partner or join a running club. The marathon itself was great fun but the last solo 18 mile training run two weeks before the big event was the hardest and most tedious thing I've ever done.

the second hardest thing i've ever done was trying to get down the stairs the day after the marathon
pompey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 02:28 PM   #32
Farrah Whitworth-Rahn
Red-Headed Vixen

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin
Farrah,
I was training for the Marine Corps Marathon when I screwed up my ankle (well, I hurt it playing soccer, but it derailed any other plans I had). Obviously, I can't run anymore, but I still applaud your desire to run a marathon!!!!

As somebody has already said, if you can do 5k, you can do a marathon, if you train intelligently.

My first suggestion is: find a running store near you and get PROPER SHOES. A running store should be one where they specialize in the shoes, have people there who will watch you run and walk and determine which shoe will be best for your foot and plans. If you were in the DC area, I'd have 2 stores you could try, but I don't know much about AZ. Pick up a local "outdoors" magazine, and they'll usually have ads for local shops which might be good, and also check the back of Runner's World magazine. I cannot emphasize enough how important shoes are.

My second suggestion is: pick a marathon and devise your training schedule based on it. Having a plan is much easier to follow than thinking "Oh I should run" and being disorganized about it. http://www.runnersworld.com/category...55-0-0,00.html has some training plans you might be interested in.

My third suggestion sounds weird, but trust me: don't be afraid of walking. Jeff Galloway ("Run Injury Free") preaches this method and it's worked beautifully for experienced runners and novices alike. He's actually got a book, Galloway's Book on Running, which I highly recommend. If I remember correctly (I gave away my copy when I had to stop running), his book also has some training plans in it. More or less, all these plans set you up to "peak out" your training at 20-22 miles, which you run about 2 weeks before the actual marathon...then you taper down and then do your 26.2 on race day.

Fourth, keep us in the loop! Start a dynasty. Tell a lot of people. Having people there to support you (and give you flack if you start to slack) helps tremendously.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to drop me a PM. I can't run anymore, but I do miss it and think you can have a great time in a marathon. Good luck!

/tk

That's the 10k I'm doing in October. The Marine Corps Marathon 10k - I'm realistic enough in my abilities to know there's no way I can handle the whole marathon. I'm also planning on doing a half marathon in January, here in Phoenix. I figure its enough time for me to build up my strength and stamina, while still soon enough so I don't lose sight of the goal. After January I have no idea which marathon I'd like to do. I hear there's one in Honolulu.
Old 05-08-2006, 02:31 PM   #33
Farrah Whitworth-Rahn
Red-Headed Vixen

Doal - Thanks for the great advice everyone!

I started my training this morning with 30 minutes of running (as much as I could, walked most of the way) just to guage where I'm at. I'm starting with a run/walk conditioning workout that will help me build up my time running. Then I'm going to move into distance training.

Even after the pathetic showing this morning, I still want to do this and I'm really psyched. I think I'll start my first ever dynasty thread.

Last edited by Farrah Whitworth-Rahn : 05-08-2006 at 02:31 PM.
Old 05-08-2006, 03:00 PM   #34
Subby
lolzcat

This may have been mentioned, but I say it in all seriousness:

vaseline on your inner thighs and nipples is a must

also - refrain from drinking water at every water stop during the race - all that water just flushes needed sodium from your body and can really mess you up. most major marathons offer sports drinks in addition to water at the stops, so get that instead...maybe drink every other stop though...
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 03:04 PM   #35
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby

also - refrain from drinking water at every water stop during the race - all that water just flushes needed sodium from your body and can really mess you up. most major marathons offer sports drinks in addition to water at the stops, so get that instead...maybe drink every other stop though...

Good advice. The last thing you need is to become hyponatremic during the marathon or half marathon. That is just as bad as becoming dehydrated.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 03:15 PM   #36
Farrah Whitworth-Rahn
Red-Headed Vixen

Quote:
This may have been mentioned, but I say it in all seriousness:

vaseline on your inner thighs and nipples is a must

Honestly more worried about my inner thighs than my nipples. Can't remember a time when they didn't rub together...
Old 05-08-2006, 03:37 PM   #37
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Honestly more worried about my inner thighs than my nipples. Can't remember a time when they didn't rub together...

(you know what goes here)
Old 05-08-2006, 03:49 PM   #38
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Wearing bike shorts (or other thin, lycra-esque shorts) under your running shorts will solve that problem. I used to run in soccer shorts, and bike/lycra shorts were a savior.

/tk
Old 05-09-2006, 01:43 AM   #39
BillyNYC
High School JV

From my own marathon training efforts (just did my first 10k a few weeks back), initially the couch-to-5k plan worked well to provide me with a base to build off of. As you say you mostly walked the 30 minutes, might be useful:

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
BillyNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 01:53 AM   #40
saldana
Pro Starter

i only run when chased
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 09:25 AM   #41
JeeberD
General Manager

running is teh sux0r

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 09:29 AM   #42
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin
Wearing bike shorts (or other thin, lycra-esque shorts) under your running shorts will solve that problem. I used to run in soccer shorts, and bike/lycra shorts were a savior.

/tk

(you know what goes here)
Old 05-09-2006, 09:31 AM   #43
Farrah Whitworth-Rahn
Red-Headed Vixen

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyNYC
From my own marathon training efforts (just did my first 10k a few weeks back), initially the couch-to-5k plan worked well to provide me with a base to build off of. As you say you mostly walked the 30 minutes, might be useful:

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

Thanks!
Old 05-09-2006, 10:15 AM   #44
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:

One of my friends is a professional long distance runner (mainly 10Km but also half and full marathons) and he told me that when running in a competition, he always puts vaseline in his nipples and between his legs to soften the friction.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 10:21 AM   #45
Subby
lolzcat

That's a good reason, too. I just do it because it makes me feel sassy!
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 10:24 AM   #46
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
That's a good reason, too. I just do it because it makes me feel sassy!

Umm then when you said that you put it in your "inner thighs"...how deep into did you mean? :P

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 11:09 AM   #47
Franklinnoble
Banned

I sense a great disturbance in this thread...
Old 05-09-2006, 02:35 PM   #48
Farrah Whitworth-Rahn
Red-Headed Vixen

Day two of training. Another 30 minutes, ran for 6 more minutes than I did yesterday.

So far no nipple chafing, but I did notice that way too many places on my body jiggle when I run. Some jigging is ok, and I want to keep that, but shaking like a bowl of jello makes me think I'm not as in shape as I thought I was.
Old 05-09-2006, 02:48 PM   #49
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Day two of training. Another 30 minutes, ran for 6 more minutes than I did yesterday.

So far no nipple chafing, but I did notice that way too many places on my body jiggle when I run. Some jigging is ok, and I want to keep that, but shaking like a bowl of jello makes me think I'm not as in shape as I thought I was.

lady, you had a baby. I don't know the level of your shape before that 9 month roller coaster ride, but it does mess the shape a little

Baby steps as they say. Funny you mention jiggling amidst all the nipple chafing and thighs rubbing comment, but I was going to suggest a very good bra as an absolute need. I remember my wife complaining about pain in the breastesses because her bra didn't support her well enough...

Other than that, I admire your courage. Seriously.

FM
Old 05-09-2006, 02:58 PM   #50
Farrah Whitworth-Rahn
Red-Headed Vixen

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan
lady, you had a baby. I don't know the level of your shape before that 9 month roller coaster ride, but it does mess the shape a little

Baby steps as they say. Funny you mention jiggling amidst all the nipple chafing and thighs rubbing comment, but I was going to suggest a very good bra as an absolute need. I remember my wife complaining about pain in the breastesses because her bra didn't support her well enough...

Other than that, I admire your courage. Seriously.

FM

Baby turned 8 months old yesterday, at some point I have to stop blaming the pregnancy and start looking at my incredible lack of will power.

I thought I was in pretty decent shape - my usual workout consisted of weight training and 45 minutes on the long stride eliptical. It was a good workout - made even better if I someone could get me angry before hand. I really pushed myself if i was pissed off.

I have a fabulous sports bra. I highly recommend this bra by Under Armor. It does give me an unattractive uniboob, but these puppies don't move at all so I don't care how I look.

I was more referring to feeling parts of my body move that I thought were pretty tight. I could swear I felt flab move on my calves. It was really a strange feeling.