Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-02-2003, 01:12 AM   #1
sabotai
General Manager

OT - Stars! Supernova Genesis Info

Found this on another message board...

"As I understand it, the problem is that they sold the rights to the game to a publisher, and the publisher decided it wasn't worth finishing the game. The programmers want to finish the game, but they can't do it without more money, and even if they could, they can't sell it without the publisher's permission. So, they need a new publisher that is willing to buy the rights for the game from the old publisher and finance the game's completion. That is why it is difficult. In hindsight they never should have sold the rights, but, eh..."

Seems to be another fine group of programmers got screwed by a publisher.

The strange thing is CGW (or one of th eother mags) has SSG set to release in Q1 2003. I wonder if they got bad info or if something new has happened. Either way, the official website for SSG still doesn't say anything new.

sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 07:43 AM   #2
Blackadar
Retired

Well, maybe it really sucked. If the publisher, who actually spent money for the rights, decided it wasn't worth publishing, then that's not a good indication of the game's quality or fun.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 12:06 PM   #3
sabotai
General Manager

"Well, maybe it really sucked. If the publisher, who actually spent money for the rights, decided it wasn't worth publishing, then that's not a good indication of the game's quality or fun."

Well, I wouldn't put it like that. I would say the publisher didn't think there was a large enough audience for it. Which is probably true. Space 4x games don't fly off the shelves (unless the shortened version of the name is a commom farm animal sound).

I find lots of unpopular games fun.

I'm not saying you are wrong. It could suck. It could be the worst Space 4x game ever.

But I've never used the actions of publishers be an indication of the level of fun a game would give me. Publishers deal with sales expectations and stuff like that. Not the level of fun in a game. How else do you explain games like Harry Potter and Hooters Racing?
Old 02-02-2003, 12:45 PM   #4
Blackadar
Retired

It was just a hypothesis.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 10:16 PM   #5
KWhit
Coordinator

Re: OT - Stars! Supernova Genesis Info

Quote:
Originally posted by sabotai

Seems to be another fine group of programmers got screwed by a publisher.

No, actually, it seems that another group of programmers got rich by selling the rights to their game. That's all. They made the decision that they wanted the money instead of the control of their product.

Decision made. Bank account bigger.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 11:08 PM   #6
sabotai
General Manager

LOL....I doubt they got rich.