Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-01-2003, 12:56 AM   #1
couriers

Question MS Excel 2000 Question

Sometimes before looking something up for myself it can be quicker and easier to ask around here first with all the big brains and all. Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer.

Is it possible to create a Function that will allow someone to sort a worksheet by a particular column? If so are there any major restrictions or special attributes to including the contents of the entire worksheet in the sorting process? I have seen this on various websites and was curious if it was something that could be done right in the spreadsheet or was done via HTML or the like.

Old 02-01-2003, 02:48 AM   #2
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I've toyed around a little with Excel but haven't done that yet (played around a little, couldn't figure it out and then didn't worry about it). The best advice I would use is to convert the info over to an Access database and then do a database report (which is essentially a spreadsheet- then again, formulas get messy there). Unfortunately I doubt that helps you much but that's my two cents.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 07:18 AM   #3
Kevin
High School JV

You can create a macro that does what you want in the spreadsheet, then assign the macro to a custom button you put in easy view of the user.
Old 02-01-2003, 10:56 AM   #4
couriers

Thanks for the information. I'll have to look into making macros and see how it turns out. At least I have an idea of where to look.
Old 02-01-2003, 04:01 PM   #5
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Just to make sure all bases are covered here, you do know that by clicking on a column and going to "Data->Sort" you can then sort your worksheet by any of the columns either ascending or descending, with the option of adding 2 additional columns for further sub-sorting (both ascending and descending). There are also options available to define the type of sorting (ex. if you want to sort by month name).

You probably know this and are looking to do something more specific than this, but I wanted to make sure.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 04:27 PM   #6
couriers

Quote:
Originally posted by dawgfan
Just to make sure all bases are covered here, you do know that by clicking on a column and going to "Data->Sort" you can then sort your worksheet by any of the columns either ascending or descending, with the option of adding 2 additional columns for further sub-sorting (both ascending and descending). There are also options available to define the type of sorting (ex. if you want to sort by month name).

You probably know this and are looking to do something more specific than this, but I wanted to make sure.

This is how I currently do my sorting and have become fairly good at utilizing the options available as far as this feature goes. What I was hoping for was to simplify the process mainly for others that might use the spreadsheet but not be aware of how to sort the data. Thanks for checking just in case.
Old 02-01-2003, 04:29 PM   #7
couriers

Here is a link to an example of what I was hoping to accomplish.

Click Here
Old 02-02-2003, 09:42 AM   #8
Rocco

Talking Re: MS Excel 2000 Question

OK, I found you Marc.....now if I can just figure out how to use the rest of it!!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by couriers
Sometimes before looking something up for myself it can be quicker and easier to ask around here first with all the big brains and all. Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer.

Is it possible to create a Function that will allow someone to sort a worksheet by a particular column? If so are there any major restrictions or special attributes to including the contents of the entire worksheet in the sorting process? I have seen this on various websites and was curious if it was something that could be done right in the spreadsheet or was done via HTML or the like.
Old 02-02-2003, 09:45 AM   #9
Rocco

Talking MS Excel

Marc - apparently I found you!!! Not bad for an old guy I guess.......Now if I can figure out how to use the rest of it!!!!

Dad
Old 02-02-2003, 10:28 AM   #10
couriers

Nice