Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-01-2003, 12:36 AM   #1
SaintAnselm
n00b

I Fell Sorry for Lebron

Maybe I am speaking for a small number of people out there bit I feel sorry for Lebron. I understand it's hard for someone to feel sorry for a person who will make more money than most of us will ever make, but I do. Not only is he missing out on college, but now he is missing out on his senior year of high-school. These are things we all look back on and remember fondly. I'm not sure a whole lot of people, after going through it, would trade their high school and college experiences for fame and millions.

SaintAnselm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 01:34 AM   #2
couriers

I somewhat disagree with why you feel sorry for him but only to some extent. The reason that I feel sorry for him is that he is nothing more than a punk ass kid that has a lot of growing up to do. If he has a shred of morality in his bones then some day he will realize the numerous regrets that he has, which will only multiply through the years. This is why I feel sorry for him. All the money in the world will not make for a decent person. Which is more important?
Old 02-01-2003, 02:24 AM   #3
daedalus
Pro Rookie

I definitely agree with you about missing out on those time , SaintAnselm. I guess that'd be true for most celebrities. Too bad. Those are great times in life.
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 02:26 AM   #4
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by couriers
I somewhat disagree with why you feel sorry for him but only to some extent. The reason that I feel sorry for him is that he is nothing more than a punk ass kid that has a lot of growing up to do. If he has a shred of morality in his bones then some day he will realize the numerous regrets that he has, which will only multiply through the years. This is why I feel sorry for him. All the money in the world will not make for a decent person. Which is more important?

I probably missed the news about it since I don't follow either James nor basketball very closely anymore but what has he done to be a "punk ass kid" without any "shred of morality"?
Old 02-01-2003, 09:23 AM   #5
Flame Eater
H.S. Freshman Team

Lebran strikes me as being just another dumb ass jock who was handed the world on a silver plater and is doing his level best to piss it all away.

His mother strikes me as the very typical (My baby is worth 100's of millions of dollars let's see how stupid I can be) mother of just another dumb ass jock.

God bless 'em all.
Flame Eater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 09:52 AM   #6
Bishop
Mascot

Geeze, which is worse, to be a punk ass kid when you don't know him. All you've saw is him play b-ball and maybe a few cocky interviews... or be a grumpy jealous old man ?

your comments would have some merit had he of done something really wrong, but it was just a matter of time before he slipped up.. anyone would have, who lives by a rule book?

a basketball player being arrested with cocaine in his possession can be forgiven, cause that's just a mistake... another one that beats his wife is okay too as long as he scores plenty of points for your team and goes to counseling ... but a 17 year old kid who accepts some free jersey's is a spoiled punk ass kid who should crash and burn, then die (or atleast close to it, for most on the board)...

you talk about him not being a decent person, but when was the lasttime you personally talked to him ? when it comes to interviews and newspaper reports, who DOES come off as a decent person? nobody unless they are trying to build him up an talk about all his accolades... otherwise they are just trying to get him to slip up an say something so they can get their next front page story.

but nobody gives a shit what this kid did, they don't wanna talk about his grades or what he's done for the kids on the court with him... all they wanna talk about is how he has everything going for him and how much money he is gonna make.

Last edited by Bishop : 02-01-2003 at 09:53 AM.
Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 10:03 AM   #7
The_herd
College Starter

I feel sorry for the rest of the players on his team that have had to put up with this crap.
The_herd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 10:22 AM   #8
Bishop
Mascot

Quote:
Originally posted by pjstp20
If this were true then who would be eligible to play college basketball? If you feel sorry for this kid it should be because his mom is a total jackass. I don't think this kid is any worse than an athlete who gets busted for drugs or beats his wife. But he is a selfish jerk whos more into having cool rides and clothes than being a good teamate.

He from my understanding never had any intentions on playing college basketball... if he did, i'm sure the unfortunate willis mcgahee injury ended all of those...

but anyway, I don't feel sorry for him, don't hate him either though...

I just think all these comments are a bit premature... nobody here personally knows him, they only know him from how everyone else portrays him... so who's to say that he's a selfish jerk whos more into having cool rides and clothes than being a good teammate?

untill you know him, or you've lived what he has, there is no way to say.

How in the hell is he getting everything handed to him on a silver plater? He didn't just wake up one day, an all of a sudden someone said he was gonna make millions of dollars and be the #1 pick in the draft... he had talent, he practiced and played hard... so he's gonna be getting paid for it now.

yeah you could say he's living a dream, one that alot of people may have.. but that doesn't make him spoiled or selfish.

Last edited by Bishop : 02-01-2003 at 10:24 AM.
Old 02-01-2003, 10:42 AM   #9
couriers

Quote:
Originally posted by daedalus
I probably missed the news about it since I don't follow either James nor basketball very closely anymore but what has he done to be a "punk ass kid" without any "shred of morality"?

My impressions of him are that he is nothing more than a punk ass kid. This is not based on fact or anyone else’s opinion but merely my own considering the attitude that I have witnessed him project to the world. This may be debatable but was meant as an opinion only.

As far as him having a lot of growing up to do, well this one might be less debatable. It seems rather obvious that his 17-year-old mentality is not near the level of maturity that it will hopefully progress to. This leads to the final point about having a shred of morality, which was more or less an observation that even with the smallest amount of human decency this kid will eventually grow up to realize all of the things that he has missed out on. If in fact he does go on to become a full-blown punk ass then that will only add to the weight of his regrets.

We can all hope that none of this comes true and that he goes on to be an excellent NBA Star who is a credit to his community. Only time will tell but as it stands right now my money is somewhere else as opposed to being spent on this kids rookie cards.

I believe the more basketball knowledgeable can continue along the lines of these points. This is about the extent of my thoughts on the entire subject and is about the best I can do concerning him or basketball in general.
Old 02-01-2003, 10:54 AM   #10
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by The_herd
I feel sorry for the rest of the players on his team that have had to put up with this crap.

Like the two state championships that he won for them.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 10:58 AM   #11
MrIllini
High School Varsity

LBIAP
Old 02-01-2003, 11:03 AM   #12
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

Lebron is Naive. End of story... Maybe he'll change, or maybe he'll be broke in 10 years with 8 kids, each with a different Mother. Who knows??

Bottom line is he seems pretty irresponsible up to this point, and without an important parental figure to step in and get him under control when he may be headed out of bounds, so to speak.

Lebron needs a good mentor, badly..
Old 02-01-2003, 12:56 PM   #13
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by Bishop Geeze, which is worse, to be a punk ass kid when you don't know him. All you've saw is him play b-ball and maybe a few cocky interviews... or be a grumpy jealous old man ?

A very relevant question around here IMO.

Rhetorical perhaps, but dead on f'n target.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 01:20 PM   #14
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

How is he "missing out " on college. He could have gone to any college he wanted to. It's his choice not to go.

I'm not saying I'm blaming him for going pro, but to say he is missing out is wrong, no one is saying he can't go to college.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 02:29 PM   #15
cmp
Pro Rookie

Why should I feel sorry for a kid who already drives a Hummer and will be making millions and millions of dollars very soon?
cmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 02:50 PM   #16
Rich1033
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally posted by Bishop
Geeze, which is worse, to be a punk ass kid when you don't know him. All you've saw is him play b-ball and maybe a few cocky interviews... or be a grumpy jealous old man ?

your comments would have some merit had he of done something really wrong, but it was just a matter of time before he slipped up.. anyone would have, who lives by a rule book?

a basketball player being arrested with cocaine in his possession can be forgiven, cause that's just a mistake... another one that beats his wife is okay too as long as he scores plenty of points for your team and goes to counseling ... but a 17 year old kid who accepts some free jersey's is a spoiled punk ass kid who should crash and burn, then die (or atleast close to it, for most on the board)...

you talk about him not being a decent person, but when was the lasttime you personally talked to him ? when it comes to interviews and newspaper reports, who DOES come off as a decent person? nobody unless they are trying to build him up an talk about all his accolades... otherwise they are just trying to get him to slip up an say something so they can get their next front page story.

but nobody gives a shit what this kid did, they don't wanna talk about his grades or what he's done for the kids on the court with him... all they wanna talk about is how he has everything going for him and how much money he is gonna make.
I totally agree. Very well said.
Rich1033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 03:15 PM   #17
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

you know, all I want to say about Lebron is "ha ha"
Old 02-01-2003, 03:42 PM   #18
Bishop
Mascot

Quote:
For all those Lebron James apologists, why don't you tell me why I shouldn't be ripping this kid? It's not jealousy, theres gonna be more than one young millionaire come the NBA draft, but they don't seem to be wearing on as many people's nerves, so that argument is tired. He's an immature kid whos gotten enough slack to hang himself three times. If you stand behind all the greed and flamboyance going on amoung athletes and those types go ahead.

he wouldn't be 'wearing' on anyones nerves if the media wasn't so far up his ass that he can't do anything...

he could of got a 1970 gremlin for his birthday and there still would of been a report about it AND a full investigation
Old 02-01-2003, 04:32 PM   #19
Iceberg
H.S. Freshman Team

The kid is a high school senior go easy on him. He probably is immature and has done some stuff that he shouldnt have but the same can be said of most high school seniors myself included. Yeah he has a big ego but so would any 17 who had their face on the cover of sports illustrated and were dubbed the 2nd coming of MJ. Also whats with criicizing him for having a cool ride? Could any of you honestly say that at 17 you would have turned down your dream car if it were offered to you as a present? Try remembering the way you were when you were 17 and then imagine if you were in his position. You would probably come off looking like a jackass too. he may be a punk but it is unfair to judge him at this point
Iceberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 05:24 PM   #20
couriers

Yeah, let the kid go make his millions so his mother can afford to pay off that present she gave him.
Old 02-01-2003, 09:20 PM   #21
Craptacular
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by MylesKnight
Lebron is Naive. End of story... Maybe he'll change, or maybe he'll be broke in 10 years with 8 kids, each with a different Mother. Who knows??

The next Shawn Kemp, MK?

Last edited by Craptacular : 02-02-2003 at 12:13 PM.
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 11:48 PM   #22
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
he could of got a 1970 gremlin for his birthday and there still would of been a report about it AND a full investigation

I agree with the report about it, but it would be how humble this guy is.

I don't feel sorry for him. He should have KNOWN it was wrong to accept those gifts. He obviously didn't care, felt it was owed to him.
Old 02-02-2003, 12:38 AM   #23
Bishop
Mascot

Actually if any of you have watched sports center today, they reported he had returned the jerseys BEFORE he was suspended..

so, he must of found out that he could be suspended for it, and returned them...
Old 02-02-2003, 01:03 AM   #24
bosshogg23
College Benchwarmer

Isnt the rule that if you accept gifts over $100 dollars you are ineligible?

Whether he returned them or not becomes irrelevant. If he in fact accepted gifts that total more than $100 he is certainly subject to whatever type of caning the Ohio Board of Sports bla bla bla determines necessary.

If Chris Webber returns his $270,000 or whatever amount, can UofMichigan put their Final Four banners back up?
bosshogg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 01:18 AM   #25
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Lathum
How is he "missing out " on college. He could have gone to any college he wanted to. It's his choice not to go.

I'm not saying I'm blaming him for going pro, but to say he is missing out is wrong, no one is saying he can't go to college.

It's not so much the physical act of going to a school so much. It's more the ability to just be a kid and be goofy for those years.

Quote:
Originally posted by gold101
Why should I feel sorry for a kid who already drives a Hummer and will be making millions and millions of dollars very soon?

I don't think you nor anyone else should. Hence the usage of the pronoun 'I'. I (again, please not the usage of the pronoun 'I') feel sorry for the kid because those years are a great time in life. Or at least I enjoyed it a great deal and I feel bad for anyone to miss being able to enjoy those time.

While there isn't much to advocate for being poor, I don't really envy this kid or the ONassis kid. At least I know the people who dislike me does so because they think I'm an asshole and the people who don't (all three of them) does so because they don't think I'm one. These kids will just have a bunch of hanger ons who'll tell them whatever they want to hear because they're their "meal ticket".

To each, his or her own.

Quote:
For all those Lebron James apologists, why don't you tell me why I shouldn't be ripping this kid? It's not jealousy, theres gonna be more than one young millionaire come the NBA draft, but they don't seem to be wearing on as many people's nerves, so that argument is tired. He's an immature kid whos gotten enough slack to hang himself three times. If you stand behind all the greed and flamboyance going on amoung athletes and those types go ahead.

Since I don't dislike James, I guess I count amongst these "apologists". As far as I've seen and as far as the posts I've made, I haven't seen anyone who has said he wasn't stupid to have accepted these jerseys. I haven't seen anyone who has it was not a selfish act (with regards to his team) to have accepted these jerseys. What I have said and have seen said have been questions for those who have said that he's a "punk ass thug" or have ripped him on the basis of him being some kind of asshole. How do you know he's a "punk ass thug"? How do you know he's a jerk? You don't. He's selfish for what he's did. Definitely stupid for what he did. Probably arrogant as all Hell. But on what basis is he a jerk or a "punk ass thug"?
Old 02-02-2003, 04:15 AM   #26
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Everytime I look at this post I think it says What's whong with Lathum. It is very confusing to me.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 07:56 AM   #27
daedalus
Pro Rookie

What IS wrong with you, Lathum?
Old 02-02-2003, 09:35 AM   #28
cincyreds
High School Varsity

you FELL sorry for LeBron? where did you fall sorry on him at?
Old 02-02-2003, 12:02 PM   #29
Iceberg
H.S. Freshman Team

Why is it wrong for Lebron to accept the hummer if his mom got a loan to legitamately buy it? When some rich kids parents buy them a fancy car would anyone say that they should not accept it? If my parents offered me a new hummer I know i sure would take it.
Old 02-02-2003, 12:44 PM   #30
The_herd
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Iceberg
Why is it wrong for Lebron to accept the hummer if his mom got a loan to legitamately buy it? When some rich kids parents buy them a fancy car would anyone say that they should not accept it? If my parents offered me a new hummer I know i sure would take it.

Do you think his Mom would have went out and gotten a loan for it if he wasn't Lebron James. This vehicle was shipped from Calif., from a dealership that advertises the stars it sells vehicles to. And after he is drafted, I hope someone says, Congratulations Lebron, you just paid for your own 18th birthday present.
The_herd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 01:10 PM   #31
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I think Lebron has handled this better then anyone one of us could've.

He has been touted as Jordans second coming since he was a Freshman.

So at 14 years old, people were comparing him to Michael Jordan.

I'd love to see some of you guys who bash Lebron try and handle the pressure of being touted the next big thing in any sport before you reach puberty.

In hockey this is a common occurance.

Yet, no one here wil acknowledge that.

Jay Bouwmeester, the #3 pick in the latest NHL Draft, on Flordia is 18 years old. He has had NHL teams scout him since he were 14. He bypassed college for a straight ride to the NHL, yet no one on here will dignify that. And you know why? No one here really heard about him at all until now (And I still doubt some have). The media didn't make a big deal out of it.

The media is making a big deal out of this because he has talent, he's got buzz around him. He's got everything most people will never have. Is it his fault he was born gifted? No. Is it his fault he's capitalzing on his talent? Hell no. So why everyone wants to see him fail is beyond me. I think it shows a certain level of immaturity to wish certain failure on a 17 year old kid.

And remember, he isn't even allowed to vote yet. Why in the hell should a KID be expected to be as mature as a 10 year NBA vet when he can't even vote for our President?

So I suggest everyone who spends time bashing Lebron for being just what he is, a Kid, go find something else to look at. Last I checked Ron Artest was in his mid 20's, yet he's acting like a child, and no one is giving that much afterthought.

I feel rather strong on this topic because I am 17, the same age as Lebron. If that kind of pressure was put on me, I'd handle it the same way. I'd refuse to let people I don't know (media) make me grow up before I am ready, and you guys would too.

Anyways, I'm out.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 05:40 PM   #32
Iceberg
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally posted by The_herd
Do you think his Mom would have went out and gotten a loan for it if he wasn't Lebron James. This vehicle was shipped from Calif., from a dealership that advertises the stars it sells vehicles to. And after he is drafted, I hope someone says, Congratulations Lebron, you just paid for your own 18th birthday present.

And what exactly is wrong with this? Is it a sin for him to reep the benefits of a capitalist society? It was a sound loan to make considering he should be worth tons of money in a couple months. And you are right he will pay for his own bday present so why on earth is he not entitled to it?
Old 02-02-2003, 05:53 PM   #33
cmp
Pro Rookie

I'm about the same age as Lebron to, I'll be 17 in a few days and he's now 18. I understand the pressure the media has putting on him is intense. But did the media pressure him into taking the jerseys even though he knew this wasn't allowed under the OHSAA rules? I don't think so. Yea, he may have given them back now but he wouldn't of if he hadn't been caught. Who knows how many other things he has taken before the jerseys. He could have been suspended on many other things and the jersey situation was just the one that finally got him in trouble. The Hummer situation still seems wrong to me. Obviously his mother received the loan based on his future earnings which I don't believe is right.
cmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 07:59 PM   #34
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Still, Gold.

I've had people give me stuff (not saying its 800 bucks worth) for doing promotion for them (Like bands), so explain to me why I am not allowed to play high school hockey?

I'll tell you, because in the scheme of things, I'm a nobody.

He gave autographs, basically promoting the store, which is equivilant of me promoting a band by passing things out. My trade off is CD's, free shirts, tickets to shows, and what did he get? Basically, two free shirts.

Just doesn't seem right.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 08:22 PM   #35
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Re: I Fell Sorry for Lebron

Quote:
Originally posted by SaintAnselm
I'm not sure a whole lot of people, after going through it, would trade their high school and college experiences for fame and millions.

Lets see. I've been broke my entire life, and never got laid in high school.

I think I'd gladly take the fame and millions.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 10:01 PM   #36
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally posted by DeToxRoxDVHStyle
Still, Gold.

I've had people give me stuff (not saying its 800 bucks worth) for doing promotion for them (Like bands), so explain to me why I am not allowed to play high school hockey?

I'll tell you, because in the scheme of things, I'm a nobody.

He gave autographs, basically promoting the store, which is equivilant of me promoting a band by passing things out. My trade off is CD's, free shirts, tickets to shows, and what did he get? Basically, two free shirts.

Just doesn't seem right.

Were you promiting the band using your fame as a hockey player, or just promoting. It's one thing to get paid fro doing general promotion, no using your fame as leverage, its another for using your fame and doing the same thing.

Hell, Bloom from Colorado wasn't going to be allowed to play football if he had endorsement deals from being a world class skier. If he can wait from being famous in a different sport, surely LeBron can.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 10:19 PM   #37
Bishop
Mascot

Quote:
Originally posted by Easy Mac
Were you promiting the band using your fame as a hockey player, or just promoting. It's one thing to get paid fro doing general promotion, no using your fame as leverage, its another for using your fame and doing the same thing.

Hell, Bloom from Colorado wasn't going to be allowed to play football if he had endorsement deals from being a world class skier. If he can wait from being famous in a different sport, surely LeBron can.

big difference in bloom and lebron, nobody cares about skiing and he's not being totted as the next barry sanders or joe montana on the FB field...

fame isn't something you ask for an get, or don't want an don't have... the media makes you who you are.

Bet you could take a poll an see who's heard of bloom and who's heard of Lebron... it'd be no contest... atleast in america... which is where Lebron happens to live so he just has to deal with it.
Old 02-02-2003, 10:29 PM   #38
Easy Mac

but the fact remains the same, neither is allowed to bank on their fame and still be "called" an amateur. Same with that Northwestern RB (Anderson?) who couldn't get paid for being in a movie while in school.

You know the rules, and if you can't wait even 1 more month till the seasons over, you deserve you're fate, exploitation or no.
Old 02-03-2003, 10:43 AM   #39
Easy Mac

I was letting this topic die, but then I happened upon this article by Kevin Frazier .

This has to be the dumbest article/column ever. He chastizes the OHSAA for "losing its hot commodity." WTF? You mean he's upset because the association but morals and ethics ahead of money. What idiots they must be. God forbid they actually enforce rules at the expense of them making money. They must be idiots.

Along with that, whats with the complete change in the media over the past 3 days. Friday they are condemning James for accepting the gifts. Now they are saying enough is enough, bring him back. I think they realized the NBA isn't interesting enough, and they need something for a story. So lets just apologize for the kid. ITs our fault he took the stuff, even though we've written numerous times he can't do it and still be an amateur.

The media is fucking stupid.
Old 02-03-2003, 12:08 PM   #40
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

The Media is Sick... and gets sicker by the minute!!

I hardly pay attention to their agendas anymore, and when I do read up on an individual story, I now check out numerous sources to get all of the different spins..

It's disgusting to have to do that, but it's a must nowadays. No one just throws out the facts and that's it anymore and it's sad..

THE MEDIA SUCKS!!
Old 02-03-2003, 05:11 PM   #41
SackAttack
Head Coach

Looks like LeBron is tryin' to take yet another page from the Book of Rose:

http://espn.go.com/nba/news/2003/0203/1503500.html

Long and short of it: he says "I didn't know it was against the rules", followed shortly by "When I went in [the clothing store], you know, I was just going in there as being, you know, another player and they was trying to reward me for my good grades."

C'mon, please. A little more imagination than that. If we were talkin' about just an "ordinary" star high school hoops player, as opposed to the consensus #1 in the upcoming draft, I might be a little less skeptical, but I find it hard to believe that this kid thought the clothing store wanted his picture because he's such a good student.

Hilarious. Keep it comin', LeBron. I could use a few more laughs.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote