Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-31-2003, 03:21 PM   #1
ctmason
High School JV

OT: Grad School

I'm on my way back for a Master's (Public Administraton) and while I'm doing my own research on curicullum, I was wondering if anybody could give me some insights on "quality of life" for the colleges I'm considering. Things like cost of living, availability of student employment, or any insider info on the universities themselves that you think might be helpful. I know we have a good cross-section geographically so thought I'd ask. TIA.

My top choices so far are:

1. Arizona State
2. Southern California
3. Arizona
4. Washington
5. Maryland
6. UCLA
7. Michigan

Anybody?

ctmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 03:26 PM   #2
Craptacular
College Starter

Just don't be a lifelong bureaurat, please.
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 03:32 PM   #3
ctmason
High School JV

I will do everything in my power to remember the "C," promise.
Old 01-31-2003, 03:56 PM   #4
QuikSand
lolzcat

I'd recommend the MPA program at the Maxwell School at Syracuse Unversity. Generally top-ranked in the country, they have an unassailable placement record, and the cost of living in that shithole town is pretty cheap. They do get snow, though... and lots of it.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 04:09 PM   #5
Tarkus
High School Varsity

I live in LA and people love UCLA. It's in a great area (Westwood) and Los Angeles itself is a great place to spend some time. As far as SC goes it too is in Los Angeles but the area surrounding the school is not nearly as nice. I used to live in DC and have a friend who went to Maryland and he loved it. As far a weather goes though there's no comparison between Maryland and UCLA or USC.

Tarkus
Tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 04:21 PM   #6
ctmason
High School JV

Quik,

I do have some friends at Syracuse, and one is a J.D./MPA student. I am looking into Syracuse as well, but let's say it's lower than 7th on my list of out-of-state schools.
Old 01-31-2003, 05:13 PM   #7
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

I'm actually a grad student at the U of Arizona (in Psychology), and would be happy to answer any specific questions you might have. Unfortunately, I don't know anything about the program you're interested in here.

More generally, I can tell you that the cost of living in Tucson is very good, probably better than any of the other regions you're looking at. The University is currently in the midst of an enormous budget crunch, just like most other state universities. As such, there seems to be less funding available for graduate students than normal (via TAships), and tuitions are likely to rise substantially. The new governor has opposed any additional cuts to the state universities, but who knows what'll happen.

Speaking of state politics, I can tell you that Phoenix (location of Az St) tends to be extremely conservative, and Tucson tends to be slightly more liberal (or slightly less conservative?). All o' them retirees don't like to pay taxes, you know.

Tucson is also an amazingly beautiful place. It's ringed by mountains and has an abundance of saguaro cacti (like the ones in the "Road Runner" cartoons). I've loved it here. And like I said, feel free to ask for more specifics.
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 09:38 PM   #8
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

Im just about done with all my prerequisites to get into the Nursing Program .
Im either thinking about getting my AA in Nursing at first then get my way through The Bachelors later on .
Old 02-01-2003, 12:46 AM   #9
STK
H.S. Freshman Team

Tucson is a nice place, if you can find a place to live 5+ miles north of the campus.
STK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 02:55 AM   #10
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Speaking of all of this- my parents went to U of A and they want to move back to the southwest when they get a chance.

Quote:
As such, there seems to be less funding available for graduate students than normal (via TAships), and tuitions are likely to rise substantially. The new governor has opposed any additional cuts to the state universities, but who knows what'll happen.

I know this may sound like a downer but things are like this everywhere and any school who doesn't admit it is lying to you and you have no use for them. Here at KU, they are doubling the tuition and cutting spending immensely (needless to say, the chancellor got a pay raise last year but that is neither here nor there). I know that KU, KSU, and Mizzou are all going through the same thing- it's all a problem from when everyone cut taxes two years ago- as soon as budget deficits popped up, higher education was the first funding to be slashed.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 05:05 AM   #11
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally posted by sterlingice
Here at KU, they are doubling the tuition and cutting spending immensely ... I know that KU, KSU, and Mizzou are all going through the same thing- it's all a problem from when everyone cut taxes two years ago- as soon as budget deficits popped up, higher education was the first funding to be slashed.

The same applies to the U. of Maryland, too, by the way. Tuition going up, as the state is in a self-created hole.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 09:09 AM   #12
stkelly52
College Benchwarmer

I have been away for a while, but I grew up in Seattle, so I can tell you a tiny bit about UW. THe UW is right by downtown Seattle. As best I understand it, the cost of housing close to the school is a bit pricy, but if you are willing to do a bit of a commute there are other reasonable options. Being in the heart of the city there are quite a lot of jobs, depending on what you are interested in doing. People who are picky have much more dificulty finding work.
stkelly52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 10:32 AM   #13
Grid Iron
Ice Cream Man

I really enjoyed living in Ann Arbor. Except for the winters.

The town is awesome with lots to do.

If you enjoy college sports, especially football (which you probably do), it is the place to go. I think their basketball team is going to be a force over the next four years (once they are eligible for the tourney--next season).

The university is top-notch.

Unfortunately, it is very expensive. UCLA would likely be a very good deal, once you have attained residency.