Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-20-2006, 12:26 PM   #1
Vince
Pro Starter

"PayPal" Fraudulent E-Mails

So I just received an e-mail, official-looking enough to pass the duh test, that said that PayPal noticed a foreign IP Address using my account, and that they might suspend or delete my account if I did not verify that I was indeed, me. So I click the link, and go to the site...and they ask me to verify my billing information, including my ATM PIN number.

Warning flags going off like no tomorrow, I begin to look more closely. I can't find anything wrong with the so-called "PayPal Security Center" page I was on (aside from the fact that it was asking for things that I wouldn't expect would be necessary for verifying my identification), but the original e-mail had a spelling error in the title (two l's in until).

Just as a heads-up to anyone else -- be extraordinairily careful around this stuff. Most of us here aren't stupid, but it never hurts to be cautious.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.

Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 12:29 PM   #2
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince
So I just received an e-mail, official-looking enough to pass the duh test, that said that PayPal noticed a foreign IP Address using my account, and that they might suspend or delete my account if I did not verify that I was indeed, me. So I click the link, and go to the site...and they ask me to verify my billing information, including my ATM PIN number.

Warning flags going off like no tomorrow, I begin to look more closely. I can't find anything wrong with the so-called "PayPal Security Center" page I was on (aside from the fact that it was asking for things that I wouldn't expect would be necessary for verifying my identification), but the original e-mail had a spelling error in the title (two l's in until).

Just as a heads-up to anyone else -- be extraordinairily careful around this stuff. Most of us here aren't stupid, but it never hurts to be cautious.

I get these all the time, and I forward them to the spoofs address that Paypal has.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 12:29 PM   #3
KWhit
Coordinator

I've been getting those a lot lately.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 12:29 PM   #4
TheOhioStateUniversity
High School Varsity

I had a similiar email to this from "Ebay" after I sold an item. The only thing that caught it was Mozilla Thunderbird when I attempted to click the link.
Old 03-20-2006, 12:30 PM   #5
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwikshot
I get these all the time, and I forward them to the spoofs address that Paypal has.

Same here ... and I've never gotten one from the same address twice either.
Old 03-20-2006, 12:32 PM   #6
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
... but the original e-mail had a spelling error in the title (two l's in until).

Heh, I've lost count of how many times I've seen that one.

And, while we are generally more savvy around here than the average 'netizen, I've seen a couple of eBay/PayPal fishing emails lately that were very good, much slicker & well-done than similar attempts I've gotten for credit cards, bank accounts, etc.
Old 03-20-2006, 12:32 PM   #7
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWhit
I've been getting those a lot lately.

Me, too. I just logged on to Paypal without using the link on the email and made sure everything is ok.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 12:37 PM   #8
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

I was getting a ton of these for a while. Has really slowed down for me the last month or so though.
Old 03-20-2006, 12:40 PM   #9
miked
College Starter

My brother got a bunch. You'd have to be pretty naive to think they'd need your PIN.
miked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 12:40 PM   #10
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:

and aside from the fact that it's probably not hosted on the paypal website...

Can't believe people fall for these things. Every couple of months they show a news report on a slow news day about people who got suckered into giving away their C/C information after following one of those links...

FM
Old 03-20-2006, 12:41 PM   #11
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked
You'd have to be pretty naive to think they'd need your PIN.
And if you are, I've got a bunch of friends in Africa who inherited MILLIONS OF DOLLARS they'd like to share with you.
Old 03-20-2006, 12:44 PM   #12
Huckleberry
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan
and aside from the fact that it's probably not hosted on the paypal website...

This is key. While you were scouring the page looking for errors you most likely only needed to check the address bar on your browser. Everyone of these I've seen directs you to a website that has only the IP address of the server in the URL instead of the domain name.

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 12:45 PM   #13
mooreadamc
Mascot

Yup, i've had the same thing sent to me except from eBay. Looked very real and included the exact HTML format in the e-mail that eBay normally sends. It asked me to verify my accoutn details but when you look at the http address it doesn't match eBay.
mooreadamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 12:47 PM   #14
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry
This is key. While you were scouring the page looking for errors you most likely only needed to check the address bar on your browser. Everyone of these I've seen directs you to a website that has only the IP address of the server in the URL instead of the domain name.

yeah, I should have written "It's definitely not hosted on Paypal's website" instead. I saw a couple times where it sorta faked the address, superimposing some sort of paypal address over my link toolbar. Anybody know what I mean?

FM
Old 03-20-2006, 01:34 PM   #15
Vince
Pro Starter

Yeah, it probably would have been easy to spot. I was so flabbergasted at the request for my PIN, and the fact that I had followed the link even that far.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 01:39 PM   #16
Aardvark
Mascot

I keep getting email about my Barclays cheque card possibly not being secure. Of course, I don't have a Barclays card, and I spell it "check".
Aardvark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 02:17 PM   #17
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Are you saying I shouldn't have given out my PIN?????
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 02:19 PM   #18
heybrad
Norm!!!

BOSCO
heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 02:20 PM   #19
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army
Are you saying I shouldn't have given out my PIN?????

nope, just saying you gave it to the wrong people. Please PM it to me so I can tell them not to use it...

FM
Old 03-20-2006, 02:20 PM   #20
heybrad
Norm!!!

Timestamp makes that less funny.
heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 02:22 PM   #21
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

It looks real because they borrow eBay's HTML. But no company instructs you to follow a link these days. They all tell you to go to their web sites and access your accounts the way you usually do.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 02:51 PM   #22
SnDvls
Pro Starter

I get these all the time too, but it's to an e-mail that e-bay and paypal don't have so I don't think twice about deleating them.
SnDvls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 02:58 PM   #23
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by heybrad
Timestamp makes that less funny.

Hey Brad?
Old 03-20-2006, 02:58 PM   #24
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote: