Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-29-2003, 08:31 AM   #1
Noble_Platypus
College Prospect

Unfortunatly for us Colt fans...

this is all too true.

TORONTO -- Indianapolis Colts kicker Mike Vanderjagt says star quarterback Peyton Manning must show more emotion, coach Tony Dungy is too nice and many players on the NFL team lack passion.

"I'm not a real big Colts fan right now, unfortunately," the Canadian kicker told The Score, a Toronto-based cable sports TV network. "I just don't see us getting better."

The 10-6 Colts' season ended with an embarrassing 41-0 road loss to the New York Jets in the AFC wild-card game.

The loss dropped Manning's NFL post-season playoff record to 0-3, which Vanderjagt said lended credibility to talk that Manning can't win the big game.

"All week before the Jets game I'm like, '(No.) 18, we're going to handle it, me and you we're going to win this game.' And he's like, 'Yeah, yeah, OK.'

"And I'm like, 'Peyton, show some enthusiasm, you're the quarterback and we need to win this game.' I just don't see it from him."

Vanderjagt said the Colts' offense desperately needed a fiery, smashmouth leader.

"We need somebody who is going to get in people's face and yell and scream," said Vanderjagt, who joined the Colts in 1998. "I've gone over there to the offense and said, 'Come on.'

"They're just like, 'Mike, go sit down. You're the kicker.' I have more emotion probably than anybody. I want to win, I want to win bad. When I miss a field goal I bang my helmet because I hate being imperfect and I can't tolerate watching 11 guys just walk off the field after you get stuffed and really show that you don't care. That is frustrating to me."

In his first season with Indianapolis, Dungy transformed the team into a playoff squad, but Vanderjagt felt Dungy was too laid back to make the Colts a Super Bowl contender.

"Coach Dungy, he's just a mild-mannered guy. He doesn't get too excited, he doesn't get too down and I don't think that works either," he said. "I think you need a motivator. I think you need a guy that is going to get in somebody's face when they're not performing well enough.

"Peyton and Tony are basically the same guy. They work hard, they mark their Xs and Os and go out and execute. If it doesn't happen, there's nothing we can do about it."

Vanderjagt signed a $7.75-million, five-year contract extension with the Colts in November, 2000 that made him the NFL's highest-paid kicker at the time.

Noble_Platypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 09:44 AM   #2
ColtCrazy
College Starter

I'm mixed on this. As for what Vanderjagt is saying, I would have to agree with that at times. I saw all the home games are there were times were it was obvious the Colts lacked excitement. Look at how many times they trailed by halftime. They never seemed to understand the emergency of a situation and usually would make great comebacks once the defense had started playing vanilla.
The Denver game, I thought, was going to be the turn around. They looked fired up, they played tough. Yes, Vanderjagt was a lot of that emotion, but there are some guys on defense that can show some leadership, like Peterson.
I thought bringing in Ismail from the Ravens would help. He could bring some of the swager to the Colts, but he was injured often and wasn't a big factor on offense. I think Dungy would be successful, but he needs a Sapp-type on the team to motivate people.
I hate to say this because I'm a big fan, but Manning is starting to look a little overrated. He makes poor reads at times and he HARDLY EVER looks off the LB or safeties. Excellent example is the two games against the Titans. Manning was picked off in both games, by the same LB, on the same route. When he looks off, he's deadly as they come, but if you are sitting in the stands, you know where he's going (usually Harrison) to throw the ball.
Okay, enough of my soap box. As for Vanderjagt saying this, he's kind of right, he's the kicker, who's going to take this seriously? But he has a point.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 10:03 AM   #3
jamesUMD
High School JV

I think the fact that the kicker is saying this, is a testament in itself. Kickers in general don't look to be taken seriously. If he got up the Kahuna's to say this in an interview, I would give it a lot of credence. Kicker's probably have the most close and abstract view that you could get when it comes to the pulse of the team. I doubt they are included in many of the position meetings, or discuss much of the gameplan. They basically practice their trade seperate from the rest of the team, and for the most part, probably do not associate themselves with the team as most other positions do. Because of that I would think they would have more of an opportunity to observe the overall demeanor of the team due to that sense of detachment.
Old 01-29-2003, 10:48 AM   #4
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Anyone that follows the Colts knows Vanderjagt is a highly emotional player. Him saying that is not a surprise. From the outside, I agree with you, he has a great perspective on the team. But will the Colts listen?
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 10:56 AM   #5
Daimyo
College Starter

How does this affect his status? Seems any player publically attacking his team's coach or star quarterback is a sort of career limiting move...
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 11:06 AM   #6
bbor
Pro Starter

I saw/heard him say all this....and i am pretty sure this was said because he WANTS to be released...Lets face it...it won't be hard for him to find another job.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 11:07 AM   #7
Kodos
Resident Alien

I can't help but think if Manning had a little bit of the Marino-ish fire in him that it would help the team. He doesn't have that cocky swagger that a QB should have. He's obviously one of the best QBs out there, but it would benefit him if he was a bit more emotional.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 11:58 AM   #8
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

Quote:
Originally posted by Daimyo
How does this affect his status? Seems any player publically attacking his team's coach or star quarterback is a sort of career limiting move...

You really think they would get rid of man who is an automatic 3 points? He didn't get 7.75 million for nothing.

Besides, if Dungy is as nice as is reported, he will shrug this off and go back to losing in the playoffs.
Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 12:18 PM   #9
Daimyo
College Starter

He wasn't very automatic this past season.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 12:37 PM   #10
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I had just read this elsewhere & wondered if it had been mentioned here yet. Sure enough

Aside from generally agreeing with V's observations, something else struck me:

Does the "fire" have to come from the QB? Or is this something that is lacking on the team overall and it's just that PM is the most obvious target?

I'm not sure whether it's true at the NFL level but I've heard numerous references through the years to "emotional leaders" in the college ranks being RB's, WR's or positions other than QB.

If that's also possible at the NFL level, then isn't a reasonable solution to find someone to fill that role while leaving intact what is still a better than avg QB (albeit one who I doubt would dispute that he has a relatively low-key demeanor most of the time?)

Jon
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 01:12 PM   #11
Noble_Platypus
College Prospect

I think it is just generally expected for the QB to be the emotional leader, since he leads the offense. I am the biggest Manning fan out there. Emotion is the only thing I see him lacking.I know everybody complains about his audiblizing and throwing picks, but when you have zero running game and you are down by 20 because your defense sucks, it is hard to not be picked when the opposing team drops 7-8 guys.Peterson is the closest thing to an emotional leader as we have on this team. It pisses me off to see the "aw shucks" look on everyones face when we go 3 and out, or give up a TD. Emotion had us out of the Jets game from the very beggining. We never had a chance.They showed up to play. We just showed up.Might that be the difference in the Buccs? With Dungy they were good enough to get knoced out of the playoffs, with Gruden they were good enough to win the whole thing. Everybody has to admit Gruden has emotion and fire, where Dungy doesnt. Against the Giants when we were down 24 at the half Dungy said we werent going to change the gameplan, not going to try and go big play to get back in it. All that did was put us in a bigger hole. When he turned Manning loose we started scoring like crazy. Unfortunatly it was too little too late, as were most of our losses this season. There is no reason a team with that much offensive talent should get shutout.With some fire and intensity I think we have a chance to go far. Otherwise we have to be content with eaking into the playoffs(maybe) and then getting crushed. IMHO.