Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-10-2006, 11:12 AM   #1
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Question Death: What happens?

If possible, I'd like to keep this discussion on a basic level and not get into a religious argument. It will be obvious that, for some, an afterlife is inherent in any discussion of death. I would ask that people who don't believe in an afterlife accept it as "alternative ending" for discussion sake.

So the question is this:

What do you personally feel will happen when you die?

Not how you will die, or the medical condition of death, but once death comes, what happens next?

WSUCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 11:13 AM   #2
Dutch
"Dutch"

I won't have to pay taxes anymore, I know that much.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 11:16 AM   #3
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSUCougar
If possible, I'd like to keep this discussion on a basic level and not get into a religious argument.

Good luck. I really have no idea what happens. If my dream scenario comes true I'll come back as a really hot lesbian.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 11:19 AM   #4
Raiders Army
Coordinator

I know for a fact there is an afterlife. Whether it's the Christian afterlife or an afterlife of booze and chicks, I don't know.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 11:19 AM   #5
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo
I really have no idea what happens.
If you had to guess, what would you say?
Old 03-10-2006, 11:20 AM   #6
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army
I know for a fact there is an afterlife.
A fact? So you are personally 100% certain that when you die, you move on to something else. What would your guess be as to the next stage?
Old 03-10-2006, 11:25 AM   #7
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

The question really should be posed: Is all life sacred?

If yes: Then why are humans regarded as the only lifeform to venture forth to a potential afterlife or reincarnation or altered dimension?

If no: Then death is merely stasis, it is the final process, be it cremation or the natural process, death is finality. Once you die, there is nothing more, you are merely a cycle (whose purpose is yet to be determined) in completion.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 11:26 AM   #8
Radii
Head Coach

I'm pretty sure I believe that nothing happens. That's it, its over. But I really, really, really don't want to believe that and struggle with it quite a bit.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 11:27 AM   #9
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
If you had to guess, what would you say?

If I had to guess, I would say that there will not be 77 virgins waiting for me. Besides that, there's what I hope will be waiting - something reasonably peaceful, and what I think will be waiting - nothing.
Old 03-10-2006, 11:29 AM   #10
lungs
Pro Rookie

It's over until the universe collapses upon itself and the big bang reoccurs. Then everything happens again exactly as it was. I've probably lived my life an infinite amount of times already.

I hope I got it right the first time
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 11:33 AM   #11
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii
I'm pretty sure I believe that nothing happens. That's it, its over. But I really, really, really don't want to believe that and struggle with it quite a bit.

I think I'm in this camp. Though I remember reading the Castenada books and liking the idea of my energy being fed to the giant eagle or whatever that was...
Old 03-10-2006, 11:34 AM   #12
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
A fact? So you are personally 100% certain that when you die, you move on to something else. What would your guess be as to the next stage?
A fact. I cannot guess what it would be, but the way I've thought it out in my head is this:

You are you. Say your life is a timeline. From the moment you come into consciousness, you are you. When you die, your timeline has two choices: end or continue on. If it ends, then there is no afterlife. If it continues then there is an afterlife.

From present to the beginning of your timeline, you can remember everything that's happened to you, regardless of whether it was in your conscious or subconscious memory, right? If that is true, which I believe it is, and your timeline continues after you die, then you should still remember everything that's happened to you. Let's say you die and you remember nothing. Well, then essentially there is no afterlife, since you wouldn't be you, right? If that is true and you're able to follow me so far, you can prove there is an afterlife because if there is no you after you die, then your thoughts, feelings, memories have no meaning. Since we all know they do have meaning, you must continue on after you die as you. It's somewhat of a space-time continuum thing where you can "look forward" in time and know that because you're you now, you will be you in the future.

I don't know if I've explained this properly since I like to describe this theory with pictures.
Old 03-10-2006, 11:35 AM   #13
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Quote:
Buffet for the worms
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 11:39 AM   #14
Desnudo
Coordinator

Forgot that we may be able to download ourselves onto a computer. So that's something.
Old 03-10-2006, 11:39 AM   #15
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

Biblical answer (I'll try to make it 'clinical' as opposed to 'preachy'). Man is made up of 3 parts, 1. body (physical) 2. soul (seat of your intellect and emotion, your 'consciousness") 3. spirit (along with your soul, the 'indestructable' part of you that that your body fits over like a glove).

Your body is your legal permission to exist on earth. Upon death your soul/spirit exits your body to either 1. continue to exist in the presence of God or 2. continue to exist outside of the presence of God.

At some point in the future, known only to God, the Judgement will take place. All humans ever alive on earth will once again be fitted to their earthly bodies. The forgiven by God will have a new, Christ-like (after the ressurection) body that can exist in both heaven and on earth. The others won't.

Last edited by Bubba Wheels : 03-10-2006 at 11:40 AM.
Bubba Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 11:45 AM   #16
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I'm in this camp.

"Game Over man.. GAME OVER!"
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 12:14 PM   #17
st.cronin
General Manager

How can this not be a religious discussion? This is perhaps the most fundamental religious question out there.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 12:21 PM   #18
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin
How can this not be a religious discussion? This is perhaps the most fundamental religious question out there.

Agreed.

And maybe it's because I'm just simple minded and refuse to believe that there is nothing waiting for us after we die, but I cannot look into the eyes of my children and think that one day they will be nothing more than worm food.

I don't know if I'll get into heaven (or if there are even requirements), but my idea of heaven is getting to be with my family and loved ones.
Old 03-10-2006, 12:25 PM   #19
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Rotting silently below the surface as I'm slowly recycled.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 12:29 PM   #20
gkb
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Wheels
Biblical answer (I'll try to make it 'clinical' as opposed to 'preachy'). Man is made up of 3 parts, 1. body (physical) 2. soul (seat of your intellect and emotion, your 'consciousness") 3. spirit (along with your soul, the 'indestructable' part of you that that your body fits over like a glove).

Your body is your legal permission to exist on earth. Upon death your soul/spirit exits your body to either 1. continue to exist in the presence of God or 2. continue to exist outside of the presence of God.

At some point in the future, known only to God, the Judgement will take place. All humans ever alive on earth will once again be fitted to their earthly bodies. The forgiven by God will have a new, Christ-like (after the ressurection) body that can exist in both heaven and on earth. The others won't.

I've never thought of the soul and spirit as being separate...interesting theory. I'm not very educated when it comes to religion...is this common among the different Christian religions (e.g. Methodist, Baptist, Catholic, etc)?
Old 03-10-2006, 12:30 PM   #21
King of New York
High School Varsity

I will become one with the universe.

(I'm not sure what that means, actually...)
King of New York is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 12:36 PM   #22
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkb
I've never thought of the soul and spirit as being separate...interesting theory. I'm not very educated when it comes to religion...is this common among the different Christian religions (e.g. Methodist, Baptist, Catholic, etc)?

Afaik, most religious/philosophical doctrines differentiate between spirit and soul. It's an extremely complicated subject.

knives out
Old 03-10-2006, 12:40 PM   #23
Brillig
College Prospect

Quote:
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams gliter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in the rain.
Brillig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 01:11 PM   #24
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin
By that I mean that I don't want to debate Christian concepts of the afterlife versus atheism or whatever other belief or unbelief system people follow. The question is simple, and can be answered without couching that answer in religious doctrine. If you got hit by the proverbial bus today, what would happen next?
Old 03-10-2006, 01:12 PM   #25
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

Quote:
By that I mean that I don't want to debate Christian concepts of the afterlife versus atheism or whatever other belief or unbelief system people follow. The question is simple, and can be answered without couching that answer in religious doctrine. If you got hit by the proverbial bus today, what would happen next?

Cancel Christmas.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 01:13 PM   #26
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

when i die i will get buried in a box in the ground. the box will slowly start to become more porous and the maggots and flies and what-not will feast on my decaying body.

but i've made peace with that. i'm okay with it.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 01:15 PM   #27
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brillig
that's pretty. where'd it come from?
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 01:17 PM   #28
st.cronin
General Manager

Well, I think the question is meaningless, since it posits 'before' and 'after' the moment of death, when death is one's removal from the world of sensation - time being a sensed concept. But my cosmology is pretty bizarre even by Christian standards.

knives out
Old 03-10-2006, 01:26 PM   #29
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
The Leafs win the Stanley Cup the next day.
Old 03-10-2006, 01:38 PM   #30
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs
The Leafs win the Stanley Cup the next day.
LOL. Nice.
Old 03-10-2006, 02:04 PM   #31
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

My guess is that I go to the same place I was at before I was born.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 02:06 PM   #32
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd
My guess is that I go to the same place I was at before I was born.
Which would be where?
Old 03-10-2006, 02:10 PM   #33
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Which would be where?
Must...hold...back...about...panerd...mother...comment...
Old 03-10-2006, 02:17 PM   #34
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Okay, RA. You're on the spot here, since you've laid out your reasonings why you believe an afterlife is a 100% certainty, yet you have no clue what it might be. Explain.
Old 03-10-2006, 02:23 PM   #35
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Okay, RA. You're on the spot here, since you've laid out your reasonings why you believe an afterlife is a 100% certainty, yet you have no clue what it might be. Explain.
Well, I don't know if my reasoning made sense to anyone. I am totally not sure what lies out there after death. Being in the military and having an MSE degree, I have a hard time believing in a supreme being. This is because in the Army, everyone has a boss. As a pseudo-scientific guy, I look more at what we can prove as opposed to what we can't prove.

I think that it will be a plane of higher existence (sorry for being so trite). I think that it will be much like this life, but...different. Frankly, I haven't thought too much about it since there isn't too much I can do to prove what it is without dying and coming back to life. Sorry it doesn't help, but I can try to explain my theory in a different way if you didn't understand it.
Old 03-10-2006, 02:27 PM   #36
Brillig
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo
that's pretty. where'd it come from?

It's Rutger Hauer's soliloquy from the end of Blade Runner.
Brillig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 02:27 PM   #37
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Quote:
I think that it will be a plane of higher existence
Beats the heck out of being maggot food.

So you think it might be something like a rebirth in a new world? Conscious awareness of your previous life, or not?
Old 03-10-2006, 02:33 PM   #38
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Beats the heck out of being maggot food.

So you think it might be something like a rebirth in a new world? Conscious awareness of your previous life, or not?
Well, according to my theory, when you die, you remain you, so you essentially have all of the memories, morals, etc. that you did when you died. It could be something like going into a 5th dimension of sorts where time and space don't matter and your "body" is something else.
Old 03-10-2006, 02:54 PM   #39
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

I'll probably be posting here later tonight when I'm drunk
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 02:59 PM   #40
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

I believe everyone gets the afterlife they believe they will recieve* ... that is a christian goes to heaven and an aetheist simply ceases to exist.

Personally I'm a great believer in heaven

*This idea stolen lock, stock and barrel from Terry Pratchett .... but it does appeal to me somewhat.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 03:01 PM   #41
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of New York
I will become one with the universe.

(I'm not sure what that means, actually...)
When I die, want my ashes shot out into space.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 03:01 PM   #42
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan
I believe everyone gets the afterlife they believe they will recieve* ... that is a christian goes to heaven and an aetheist simply ceases to exist.

Personally I'm a great believer in heaven

*This idea stolen lock, stock and barrel from Terry Pratchett .... but it does appeal to me somewhat.

"I pray to God every god-damned day.....just in case." - Chris Rock

Last edited by Dutch : 03-10-2006 at 03:01 PM.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 03:03 PM   #43
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan
I believe everyone gets the afterlife they believe they will recieve
I like to think this as well.

The tricky part is the "how" of that. Does your consciousness pass beyond the physical limits of your dead body, or does your brain capture the essence of your heaven in some fantastic time-stopping moment?
Old 03-10-2006, 03:05 PM   #44
Vince
Pro Starter

Quote:

Thirded.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 03:06 PM   #45
Vince
Pro Starter

Quote:
I like to think this as well.

The tricky part is the "how" of that. Does your consciousness pass beyond the physical limits of your dead body, or does your brain capture the essence of your heaven in some fantastic time-stopping moment?

As opposed to what I believe...this here is what I want to believe (the Pratchett, everyone gets their own way thing). However, like Coug, I have no idea of the 'how.'
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 03:16 PM   #46
Bad-example
College Starter

Fade to black.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 03:21 PM   #47
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

With all the people that have lived and died, it would make sense if at least a few of them could have come back from the "other side" and made some big hubbub among us living (i know that would be the first thing I would do).

Hudini tried it and nothing (at least as far as we know). I promised my family that if I die before them I'm going to try my hardest to haunt their ass if there is an afterlife so that they would know for sure. Morbid but hey.
Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 03:26 PM   #48
molson
General Manager

Sometimes I wish I could believe in an afterlife - but I just don't. My personality, my memories, my morals: all of that is in the mushy stuff in my head . If someone shot a hole through that, or if it got ran over by a truck, it'd be gone. I suppose there could be some kind of uncomprehendable "energy" that survives, but it wouldn't be concious, it wouldn't be ME.

Religions exist to try to answer this question, and because of man's fear of this question, but I've sort of embraced the finality of existence. When you imagine yourself as a mass of cells improbably combined to form conciousness, living and breathing on this this random rock spinning around in the galaxy, and you're able to share this experience, for a brief time, with others - that's "meaning" to me. The lack of my belief in any kind of "judgment" doesn't alter in the slightest the way I treat people. We're all in this together, for no reason, for a cruely short time, and it's up to us to make the best of it.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 03:28 PM   #49
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson
Sometimes I wish I could believe in an afterlife - but I just don't. My personality, my memories, my morals: all of that is in the mushy stuff in my head . If someone shot a hole through that, or if it got ran over by a truck, it'd be gone. I suppose there could be some kind of uncomprehendable "energy" that survives, but it wouldn't be concious, it wouldn't be ME.

Religions exist to try to answer this question, and because of man's fear of this question, but I've sort of embraced the finality of existence. When you imagine yourself as a mass of cells improbably combined to form conciousness, living and breathing on this this random rock spinning around in the galaxy, and you're able to share this experience, for a brief time, with others - that's "meaning" to me. The lack of my belief in any kind of "judgment" doesn't alter in the slightest the way I treat people. We're all in this together, for no reason, for a cruely short time, and it's up to us to make the best of it.
If that's true, then why not live a hedonistic life?
Old 03-10-2006, 03:30 PM   #50
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

Quote:
If that's true, then why not live a hedonistic life?
With a forum name of molson, there's a chance that he does.
Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote