Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-23-2006, 03:49 PM   #1
WVUFAN
College Starter

Bloodbowl?

Anyone interested in a Bloodbowl league?

For those that do not know, Blood Bowl is a mixture of Warhammer/Dungeons and Dragons and Football. Information and rules are found here: hxxp://www.bloodbowlonline.com/Rules.shtml

Since there's now a java client, it costs nothing to play. Would anyone be interested in participating in a league?

WVUFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 03:53 PM   #2
JeeberD
General Manager

http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...ight=bloodbowl

I'm not sure if they're still playing, but you might want to contact the guys in those threads...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 04:16 PM   #3
WVUFAN
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD

I'm not sure if they're still playing, but you might want to contact the guys in those threads...

That's cool -- I'll contact them and see if the league is still running. If the league is defunct (which I hope it isn't), would there be interest in a Blood Bowl league, specifically designed for new and intermediate players?
Old 02-23-2006, 04:16 PM   #4
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

we're not sadly, but I'm always looking for new teams to DWARF SMASH!
Old 02-23-2006, 04:42 PM   #5
WVUFAN
College Starter

Well, what I was looking to do is start a fairly small (say 10-14 teams) using one of the game applets and Living Rulebook V3 or V4, and set up things for people who may never have played Blood Bowl before -- maybe use some veteran players (like Sir Fozzie) to help out. I would look to run things in a American League style, with a set schedule and a playoff format.

I also would be looking for a casual schedule, to allow people to play without taking up a whole lot of their time. Again, if something like this is interesting, but you've not played, give it a try.
Old 02-23-2006, 04:47 PM   #6
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Here's what I've come up with after playing and commisshion the OLBBL for a while, and through the FOFC League.

Set schedule leagues=Doom

Best bet: 10-14 coaches, allow them 2 or 3 teams eachm that way if one of their teams gets beat down, they can still participate, and it also allows coaches more action.. then each coach who wants to particiapte in a knockout cup final setup can enter 1 team, and have a 2 or 3 round (4-8 team) knockout round to determine a season winner.
Old 02-23-2006, 05:09 PM   #7
astrosfan64
College Prospect

I would like to play.
astrosfan64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 05:22 PM   #8
aran
High School Varsity

I'm interested.
aran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 05:29 PM   #9
Katon
College Benchwarmer

I'd be interested again.
Katon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 05:31 PM   #10
Blade6119
Coordinator

My roomate and i both have teams, and i for one would be interested...i bet he would be too, though i`cant comment for sure yet
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 05:38 PM   #11
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I'd have to remember the rules again, but I'd be interested. I'd like to know how you are going to organize things - how often do we play, etc.

-Anxiety

-Anxiety

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 05:38 PM   #12
Groundhog
Coordinator

I've been playing in a very good Aussie tournament named the SWL and I'm having a lot of fun. My coach id is GooseIAm.
Old 02-23-2006, 05:44 PM   #13
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Ok, I created a League and a Tournament:

Rules
There will be a 2 Month Regular Season and a One Month Cup Final Stage.

The First Tournament will be Dungeon Bowl 06: Each coach may have UP to 3 teams in the Regular Season stage, and may play each other team in the Regular Season(except their own), once. This will last approximately 8 weeks.

At the end of the Regular Season, Coiaches will be allowed to submit ONE team into the Dungeon Bowl Knockout Finals, this will be a standard knockout tournament.

All LRB teams are allowed.

ANy questions, or if you want to join, let me know.
Old 02-23-2006, 05:47 PM   #14
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Oh.. all teams in this tournament should be new TR100 teams. To enter a team, let me know the team name and I will send an invite. Also, you do not need to have 3 teams, or even the same 3 teams from season to season, but these teams should not be used for games outside the league
Old 02-23-2006, 05:55 PM   #15
Katon
College Benchwarmer

This is at the same website as last time? (and, erm, what was the address again?)
Old 02-23-2006, 05:56 PM   #16
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

fumbbl.com
Old 02-23-2006, 06:09 PM   #17
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

I'm in.

I agree the set schedule league was DOOMED!!!!
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 06:11 PM   #18
WVUFAN
College Starter

Question, since I've not played in a Blood Bowl league without a set schedule: what's the purpose of the regular season if you can submit anyone for the tourney?
Old 02-23-2006, 06:16 PM   #19
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

To get team's experienced, and to see which team you prefer.. and also to provide lots of games in the regular season
Old 02-23-2006, 06:59 PM   #20
dixieflatline
High School Varsity

I have not played before but it sounds interesting. If you could use an extra player I'll be in but if you get a group of experienced players definitely push me out the door first.
dixieflatline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 07:43 PM   #21
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Dixie: It's open to as many coaches as folks want, the only rule is that each coach only gets one Knockout team at the end of the season
Old 02-23-2006, 07:43 PM   #22
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Oh, BTW, once you've submitted your team for approval, let me know the team name and I will invite it.
Old 02-23-2006, 08:14 PM   #23
WVUFAN
College Starter

What division should we be creating our teams for? DivX, unranked?

Are we implementing Ageing?
Old 02-23-2006, 09:03 PM   #24
WVUFAN
College Starter

Everyone knows how to create a team on the site, right?
Old 02-23-2006, 09:19 PM   #25
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Unranked, and aging is on.
Old 02-23-2006, 09:58 PM   #26
dixieflatline
High School Varsity

ok cool. How long do I have to set this up? Which rulebook should I read 3 or 4? Something tells me I don't like my chances. Anyone with a betting dynasty should fade Dixie!
Old 02-23-2006, 10:14 PM   #27
astrosfan64
College Prospect

I'm a total noob, do we have some time to figure all of this out?
Old 02-23-2006, 10:26 PM   #28
astrosfan64
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUFAN

I'm trying to figure it out. WHere is the rulebook.
Old 02-23-2006, 10:28 PM   #29
astrosfan64
College Prospect

nevermind found it
Old 02-23-2006, 11:01 PM   #30
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixieflatline
ok cool. How long do I have to set this up? Which rulebook should I read 3 or 4? Something tells me I don't like my chances. Anyone with a betting dynasty should fade Dixie!

V4 is the latest rule set.

Here's some hints for newer players:

Humans and Orcs are best for new coaches, as they do everything fairly well. 2nd comes the basher teams (Dwarves, Chaos, etcetera). I would not recommend dodging teams to start, they are harder for new coaches to play well.

The name of the game in Blood Bowl is RISK MANAGEMENT. How you manage your risk will decide in a great manner how you will do. Remember that if you fail ANY action, your turn ends on the spot. Make your safe maneuvers first, before making that 5+ dodge. I've seen it beat down many coaches.. how they would do what they consider to be the most important action first (moving guys away from my guys), and failing, and leaving the ball on the ground, waiting for me to swoop in and grab it.

Blocking: Most players are the same Strength (3). That means you will roll 1 die when you block, if it's 1 on 1. Assuming no skills on either side.. there's 2.5 Good Rolls (Knocked Down, Pushed Back and Knocked Down, the half is Both Knocked Down), 2 Average rolls (pushed back) and 1.5 Bad Rolls (the other half of Both Knocked Down and Attacker Knocked Down). Thus, if all things are the same, it's better to hit even up then be hit. But always look to have some help around, if you have a higher st (remember, you get +1 Str when you have someone helping!) you roll TWO dice.. so that makes it a LOT easier, there's only 5 of 36 results that will end your turn.
Old 02-24-2006, 08:44 AM   #31
dixieflatline
High School Varsity

Ok thanks for the tips fozzie. Since we are each starting with three teams I figured I'd start with a fast team, a big team, and a "normal" team to see which I liked best. So many different teams in this. Very crazy. Anyway, I'll spend some time this weekend looking at the rules and making up my teams. How long does one of these matches usually take?
Old 02-24-2006, 08:50 AM   #32
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

I'd like to participate, but it looks fairly involved. How much time per week would you guestimate is needed?
Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 09:04 AM   #33
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Just a couple of heads ups for those looking for the dodgy type guys:

High Elves - Good speed, arguably the best linemen in the game, but they are a little tough to start with because they are not THAT much faster than other teams.

Dark Elves - Decent speed, same linemen as HE, but they lack the passing game of the HE. The Witch Elf is a real bitch though! Their blitzers are pretty sweet.

Wood Elves - The Elviest of the Elves. They pass, they catch, they can even julianne fries! They are very fragile (AV 7), but they are the fastest of the Elves, and only one team can be faster (Skaven). They have good skill access, and their Wardancers are the best players in Blood Bowl. Just watch out for a bashy dwarf team. WE are capable of beating teams with only 5 or 6 players on the pitch.

Skaven - Although Skaven are not dodgy by nature, you can play them that way. Their AV is low (7), but unlike WE they are cheap! So you lost that linerat, who cares? He only cost you 30k! The Gutter Runners are the fastest players in the game, and the Storm Vermin are pretty dern stout. Plus, Skaven have the chance to receive mutations, which are very nice. Also, the Rat Ogre is a pretty good Big Guy to get.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 11:29 AM   #34
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonegavel
I'd like to participate, but it looks fairly involved. How much time per week would you guestimate is needed?

Each match takes about an hour or an hour and a half, and the regular season is a "play when you can type" thing
Old 02-24-2006, 11:34 AM   #35
KWhit
Coordinator

I'd like to do this.

How do I get started? Create a team first?
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 11:39 AM   #36
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Yup, create a team, Fill it the way you want, and submit it for approval.

Once that's done, let me know, and I will formally invite it to the league (it's a private league thing right now).

Oh.. new team suggestions:

Teams MUST have at least 11 players to start to be valid.. how many more depends on how much they cost and how much money you want to save from players buying for other things, such as ReRolls (you get to use 1 of these per turn, up to the amount that you buy, to reroll failed rolls), and FanFactor (The more of this you have, the more fans show up at your games, and the more fans show up at your games, the more $$$ you'll earn )
Old 02-24-2006, 11:49 AM   #37
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUFAN

Not me. But I'm just now reading the rules for the first time, so I have no idea what's going on yet.

I'll figure it out.
Old 02-24-2006, 11:55 AM   #38
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

I'm creating an example of a team creation now, Kwhit, for new coaches to understand.
Old 02-24-2006, 11:56 AM   #39
astrosfan64
College Prospect

I started the process last night. I'm a new player and I tought about going with the Norse to start. Is that a decent idea?
Old 02-24-2006, 12:01 PM   #40
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie
I'm creating an example of a team creation now, Kwhit, for new coaches to understand.

Cool. Thanks.
Old 02-24-2006, 12:05 PM   #41
Bonegavel

Thanks Fozz, I will work on this tonight.
Old 02-24-2006, 12:11 PM   #42
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Here's an example of my team creation, using my 2nd team, Cheese Cheese Rat Rat.

Skaven is a very fast team, but they're also fragile (Armor Value 7), so they need to score quickly on offensem and Gutter Runners can do that! (They are one of a few players in the game that with the right combination of skills, get the kickoff via handoff or thrown to them, and score in ONE turn). So the typical skaven team has a few very skilled players and some cannon fodder to go with it.

When creating the team..

First step: I want multiple attacking options, so I immediately look at the Gutter Runners. I can have up to 4 on my team, and they cost $80K each. They have the best starting movement in the game (9 squares base movement), their strength is below average (2), but their starting Agility is 4. This means in a simple dodge away from an attacker (not next to any attacker), they succeed on anything but a 1, on a d6 roll!! I want to be able to have one on each side of the field at nearly all times, so I buy 3. One will start on the left, one will start on the right, and if I buy enough players, one will start on the bench. (Spent: 240K, Remaining 760K)

Step 2: I need someone to throw the gutter runner the ball, as folks will usually kick away from the realllly fast guys (something about wanting to win).. So I pick up a thrower. He has the same basic stats as a lineman (move of 7, ST and AG of 3, and again, the weak Armor Value of 7), but he comes with two VERY useful skills, Sure Hands (which allows him to reroll failed attempts to pickup the ball), and Pass (which allows him to reroll failed pass attempts). He costs 70K, but he won't be in situations where the other team can bash him much (I usually put my thrower deep so no matter where the kickoff ends up he can get there in one turn). Spent: 70K (Total: 310K), Remaining 690K

Step 3: Alright, I've used up a lot of my discretionary money on skill players, so it's time to buy some cannon fodder, Skaven Linemen are fast (7), average at ST and AG (3), and again, 7 Armor. Well, if I couldn't put up with my players being fragile, I wouldn't have taken Skaven. I want to get to 11 players, so I buy SEVEN of the little buggers, they only cost $50K each, and I have 11 players.. And some money to spend, still! (Cost: 350K (Total: 660K), Remaining: 340K

Step 4: Now, here comes the hard part.. deciding what to buy with the left over money. With 11 players, I'll be down a few rats late in the game, but also.. I love hitting things in Blood Bowl. So.. I need a basher. Someone who not only can blow holes (sometimes literally!) in the opponent's defense, but get all the opponent's big nasty bashers to concentrate on HIM instead of my fragile ratsies.. But where will I find one? Luckily the Skaven have such an option on their roster! It's the unholy fusion of a Skaven RatMan, and a Giant Ogre, the RAT OGRE!

He seemingly has the best of all worlds. He can move average (6, which is great for a big guy), has a Strength of 5 (guaranteeing the advantage unless he faces another big guy, or someone brings a few of his friends along to the party!), below average agility (2, but we won't need him for dodgy type things), and an above average armor for a skaven team (8). Plus he has a special mutation, a PREHENSILE tail, that makes it harder for folks around him to dodge away.. (thus, keeping folks around him to hit!) and two skills to help him with the hitting (one, FRENZY, allows him a 2nd block if he pushes back the opponent on the first hit.. the other MIGHTY BLOW increases the odds that the opponent will be injured when he goes down!) Unfortunately, Grumblesnars the Rat Ogre also has some.. issues. He is barely controllable (well, most Blood Bowl players are, but he's special!), and has a NEGATIVE ability, Wild Animal. Each turn, when I activate him, I have to roll a 6 sided die, on a 2-6, I'm safe, as he'll do what I want him to do, but on a 1, he just spends the whole turn their roaring and posturing (and if I selected him to do something, like Blitz (move then hit, you only get 1 of these per turn!), you've used up that action. Ack! Plus he's a bit pricey, he's worth 2.6 Linerats all by himself, but he's worth it (Cost: 130K (790K Total), 210K Remaining.

Step 5: Now for the others. I know my rats are fragile, so I'll need a constant supply of money to replace dead or too seriously injured to continue rats. SO I need a high Fan Factor. An apocathery is also pretty much a must have, as during the game, he can heal any one injury on a 2+, so to protect my skilled players. That leaves Rerolls out in the cold somewhat. I always like to buy them at team creation, since they cost twice as much to buy after team creation, but in this case, I'm just low on money and can't afford all 3.

So I buy a 9 Fan Factor (That means to start, I roll 9 dice. total them up, and multiply them by 1,000 to see how many Rat fans showed up), which costs 90K

I also buy an apocathery for 50K

That means I have 70K left, and I buy one RR (of course, I'll save them for important actions), for 60K and have 10K left over.

Here's the starting lineup of CHEESE CHEESE RAT RAT!

http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=te...team_id=239726
Old 02-24-2006, 12:12 PM   #43
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrosfan64
I started the process last night. I'm a new player and I tought about going with the Norse to start. Is that a decent idea?

Norse are a good choice for a hitting team to start, as all their players have block.. but like I mentioned above with Skaven, your players are kinda fragile
Old 02-24-2006, 12:31 PM   #44
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrosfan64

The 'Zons are along the same lines as well, except they all have dodge. Just don't play the Dwarves for a while if you have the Zons.
Old 02-24-2006, 12:56 PM   #45
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Dwarves love to smash Amazons (The reason is that every dwarf player has a skill, TACKLE, that negates the opposing players DODGE ability (which is used to reroll failed dodges, and keeps the player up on a pushed back and knocked down roll).

In other words, the Amazon's #1 ability.. is completely useless against the stunties )

Last edited by SirFozzie : 02-24-2006 at 12:57 PM.
SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 01:08 PM   #46
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Damn stunties ruined my Woodies chances of winning our Blood Bowl league here in town. My record against the stunties 0-3, my record against the rest of the league? 8-0.

Scores against the stunties? 1-2, 1-2, 1-2.

To make things worse, the damn stunties scored with fewer than 3 turns to go in each game! To make matters even worse, a Longbeard picked up the ball in a tackle zone, dodged once, and made two GFIs on the last turn!
Old 02-24-2006, 02:08 PM   #47
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Invited Katon's two teams, the Transcendant and the Purple Cows, (Undead and High Elf), and WVUFans' Cthulhlu Crushers (also Undead).. My Ratsies squeak in fear.

When finished creating, let me know here, or in PM there
Old 02-24-2006, 02:34 PM   #48
Bonegavel

I'm getting the rules printed and bound at Staples this afternoon.
Old 02-24-2006, 02:54 PM   #49
Katon
College Benchwarmer

Invites have been accepted.

I still can't get IRC to work, though, so anyone wanting to play me will have to set it up by PMs either here or at FUMBBL.
Old 02-24-2006, 03:31 PM   #50
Bonegavel

Have my fresh staples-printed copy in front of me. Will try and absorb and create teams tonight.