Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-15-2006, 10:07 PM   #1
Swaggs
Coordinator

2006 NFL Offseason Thread

Free agency begins on March 3rd (I believe).

The ammy draft is April 29-30.

Let's talk about who gets re-signed, where teams need to improve, draft prospects that you have seen play in college, etc.

I will start it off by asking if there are any Colorado or B12 fans out there that have seen Jeremey Bloom play and whether or not he is an NFL calibre receiver/returner?

Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 10:20 PM   #2
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I believe there is a lot of speculation that the FA period may be shut down until mid-march. Right now, supposedly you can only pro-rate contracts for 4 seasons, and it would be in everyone's best interest to resolve it so that there could be longer contracts, and more bonus money. All of this comes from one of those Sirius NFL shows.

Kurt Warner signed a three-year, $18 million contract that should be worth between $20 million and $24 million should he perform as he did last season, ESPN.com's John Clayton reported Tuesday. The two-time MVP completed 64.5 percent of his passes and had a quarterback rating of 85.8 in his first season with the Cardinals.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 10:45 PM   #3
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I notice in the list of 2006 transition and Franchise tag tender amounts, that Offensive linemen, kickers and linebackers are one big "generic" category, and not split up like FOF does. I'm guessing this was a design decision? Also there is no fullback category either. The numbers, if anyone is interested.

Cornerbacks
Franchise tender: $5,893,000
Transition tender: $4,744,000

Defensive ends
Franchise tender: $8,332,000
Transition tender: $7,075,000

Defensive tackles
Franchise tender: $5,656,000
Transition tender: $4,463,000

Linebackers
Franchise tender: $7,169,000
Transition tender: $6,144,000

Safeties
Franchise tender: $4,109,000
Transition tender: $3,592,000

Punters/kickers
Franchise tender: $2,468,000
Transition tender: $2,045,000

Running backs
Franchise tender: $6,085,000
Transition tender: $5,153,000

Quarterbacks
Franchise tender: $8,789,000
Transition tender: $8,327,000

Offensive linemen
Franchise tender: $6,983,000
Transition tender: $6,391,000

Tight ends
Franchise tender: $3,327,000
Transition tender: $2,718,000

Wide Receivers
Franchise tender: $6,172,000
Transition tender: $5,160,000
Old 02-16-2006, 07:11 AM   #4
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Cowboys hire new linebackers coach ... from a high school.

Granted, he's former Patriots linebacker Vincent Brown, who played for Parcells in New England, but it still struck me a little out of the ordinary for someone to go from high school to the pros (maybe it really isn't that unusual, I just don't recall hearing it much).

http://www.ajc.com/news/content/spor...brown0216.html
Old 02-16-2006, 07:20 AM   #5
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs
Free agency begins on March 3rd (I believe).

The ammy draft is April 29-30.

Let's talk about who gets re-signed, where teams need to improve, draft prospects that you have seen play in college, etc.

I will start it off by asking if there are any Colorado or B12 fans out there that have seen Jeremey Bloom play and whether or not he is an NFL calibre receiver/returner?

Returner, yes.

WR? Not really. I think he'll have an impact somewhere as a return man and an occasional trick play guy, but that's about it. If he develops into a solid WR, I'll be very surprised.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 09:40 PM   #6
Swaggs
Coordinator

Bloom news from Rotoworld.com:

Quote:
Olympic skier Jeremy Bloom is planning for the NFL Draft.
Bloom was a punt and kick returner at the University of Colorado, but forfeited his eligibility to persue Olympic skiing. He'll participate in the NFL Scouting Combine and plans to run a sub-4.3 40. He still needs to add about 15 lbs. to his 170-pound frame.

Nothing like gaining 15 lbs and then running a sub-4.3 40.
Old 02-22-2006, 02:43 PM   #7
stevew
Hall Of Famer

FOXSports.com has learned that the Colts agreed to terms Wednesday with wide receiver Reggie Wayne on a six-year deal worth nearly $40 million including $13.5 million in bonus money. Wayne was slated to become an unrestricted free agent and his signing now weakens an already extremely weak receiver free agent class.

While the contract terms have been agreed upon by both sides Wayne has not yet officially signed and should as soon as the NFL approves the deal.
The deal also makes him the third highest-paid receiver in the NFL behind teammate Marvin Harrison and Randy Moss. By getting the Wayne deal done the Colts do not have to use the franchise tag on him, a move they were primed to make had they not worked out a new contract. It's unclear whether they will use the tag on free agent running back Edgerrin James, but right now that appears to be unlikely.

Wayne had 83 catches this past season for 1,055 yards and five touchdowns in the Colts' high-powered attack.

Wayne signing makes the FA class weaker at WR.

Also much to the chagrin of a certain strategies moderator.

Jets | Abraham officially named franchise player
Tue, 21 Feb 2006 11:17:43 -0800
The New York Jets have announced DE John Abraham has been designated as the team's franchise player for 2006. If Abraham is offered a contract that the Jets do not elect to match, the Jets would receive two first round draft choices in the NFL Draft in return.

Last edited by stevew : 02-22-2006 at 02:43 PM.
Old 02-22-2006, 04:08 PM   #8
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

I wonder how much of the Colts cap is put into Manning, Harrison, and Wayne this year.
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 05:49 PM   #9
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Ravens decide not to franchise Jamal Lewis. He will be a FA.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 05:52 PM   #10
JS19
College Prospect

Jets let Ty Law go, among others
JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 08:55 AM   #11
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew
I believe there is a lot of speculation that the FA period may be shut down until mid-march. Right now, supposedly you can only pro-rate contracts for 4 seasons, and it would be in everyone's best interest to resolve it so that there could be longer contracts, and more bonus money. All of this comes from one of those Sirius NFL shows.

Kurt Warner signed a three-year, $18 million contract that should be worth between $20 million and $24 million should he perform as he did last season, ESPN.com's John Clayton reported Tuesday. The two-time MVP completed 64.5 percent of his passes and had a quarterback rating of 85.8 in his first season with the Cardinals.

How did I miss this? So my "beloved" Cards are going to suck for another three seasons. Just great.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 09:02 AM   #12
wade moore
lolzcat

I mentioned this to cthomer on AIM...

I heard on Kornheiser yesterday that there are talks between the Jets and the Redskins in a deal that would involve Abraham and Patrick Ramsey...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 12:49 PM   #13
Desnudo
Coordinator

February 23, 2006
Lewis likes Pats
Ravens running back Jamal Lewis, who has been informed he won’t be hit with the franchise tag -- thus making him a free agent -- told the Baltimore Sun in Thursday editions that the Patriots are one of four teams he’s interested in joining for a fresh start.

The Cardinals, Packers and Steelers are the other teams.

The Patriots have Corey Dillon, Kevin Faulk, Patrick Pass and Earl Charles under contract at running back for 2006.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 12:50 PM   #14
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo
February 23, 2006
Lewis likes Pats
Ravens running back Jamal Lewis, who has been informed he won’t be hit with the franchise tag -- thus making him a free agent -- told the Baltimore Sun in Thursday editions that the Patriots are one of four teams he’s interested in joining for a fresh start.

The Cardinals, Packers and Steelers are the other teams.

The Patriots have Corey Dillon, Kevin Faulk, Patrick Pass and Earl Charles under contract at running back for 2006.

Good for Lewis. He hasn't a prayer of playing in NE.
Old 02-23-2006, 12:53 PM   #15
Desnudo
Coordinator

He could add some flavor to the team. Plus I'm sure it's not easy to find cocaine in Foxboro.
Old 02-23-2006, 12:55 PM   #16
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo
He could add some flavor to the team. Plus I'm sure it's not easy to find cocaine in Foxboro.

He's a people person.
Old 02-23-2006, 01:00 PM   #17
Swaggs
Coordinator

I doubt the Steelers will come anwhere near Lewis. They have cap problems of their own and generally don't mess with guys that have had problems outside football.
Old 02-23-2006, 01:03 PM   #18
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Packers for Lewis.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 01:03 PM   #19
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

The Lions have applied the franchise tag to Backus. A solid move.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 01:04 PM   #20
Desnudo
Coordinator

I predict Cardinals out of that group.
Old 02-23-2006, 01:10 PM   #21
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Why does Lewis think the Pats would even be interested in him? And how the fudge can the Colts field a team with the money they have tied up in the big 4?
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 01:33 PM   #22
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Remember Corey Dillon wasn't exactly a saint in Cincy. Lewis may be thinking they can do the same thing for him.
Old 02-23-2006, 01:42 PM   #23
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

The Packers have historically avoided "character problem" players, but it remains to be seen how much of a concern that'll be for their new GM. If he comes cheap he'd be worth a flier, I suppose.

I think the Cardinals are the most likely destination, though.
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 01:45 PM   #24
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Can the Pats sign Vinatieri please.
Old 02-23-2006, 01:50 PM   #25
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf
Can the Pats sign Vinatieri please.

Yeah... I was wondering about that, too.

Two of the best kickers in history, Vanderjagt and Vinatieri, are free agents. Pretty hard to believe.
Old 02-23-2006, 01:51 PM   #26
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs
Yeah... I was wondering about that, too.

Two of the best kickers in history, Vanderjagt and Vinatieri, are free agents. Pretty hard to believe.

Vandercrap isn't even in the same zip code.
Old 02-23-2006, 02:02 PM   #27
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Vandershank the idiot kicker.
Old 02-23-2006, 02:06 PM   #28
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

The Cowboys will take either of them.

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 02:07 PM   #29
rkmsuf
Head Coach

that's why NE needs to be aggressive and get Vinatieri signed. make him the highest paid kicker over rackers at 1.8.
Old 02-23-2006, 02:18 PM   #30
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Any chance the Pats will franchise Vinatieri? (I think they've done that before)

And, just my two bits, but Kurt Warner isn't the reason the Cardinals suck.
Old 02-23-2006, 02:21 PM   #31
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSUCougar
Any chance the Pats will franchise Vinatieri? (I think they've done that before)

No because of rules about mandatory raises or something. I think they end up with him at 3 million and change for 2006 if they do that. Too much.

They could work something out to pay him 2-2.5 per over 6 years I would think. It's odd that this has dragged out for a year now.
Old 02-23-2006, 02:47 PM   #32
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

The Colts are out of their mind. I know Wayne is a good reciever, but with Harrison and Manning they could sign some low price chump and build him up near Wayne's level in a couple years.

How much money are they going to blow on their offense and when's the crash?

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 02:51 PM   #33
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazFTW
The Cowboys will take either of them.

Please, lord, let it happen!

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 03:47 PM   #34
Daimyo
College Starter

I don't think that's such a bad deal for Wayne... he's actually outplayed Harrison pretty often over the last two years. I think he's the real deal. I'm not sure how they'll make room for Freeney's deal next offseason though...
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 03:53 PM   #35
Cuckoo
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD
Please, lord, let it happen!

I think this is one of those things nearly every Cowboys fan agrees on.
Old 02-23-2006, 03:56 PM   #36
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061
The Colts are out of their mind. I know Wayne is a good reciever, but with Harrison and Manning they could sign some low price chump and build him up near Wayne's level in a couple years.

How much money are they going to blow on their offense and when's the crash?

Before Wayne came into his own, every Colts fan wondered when the Colts would get a 2nd receiver. They had been waiting for Wayne for a long while.
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 04:01 PM   #37
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Well, he payed off great for a couple years, but you can't afford to keep two #1 receivers and a Peyton Manning while looking to compete beyond another couple years. Anyone out there do a cap breakdown for the Colts? Maybe the reality is not as bad as the perception.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimyo
I don't think that's such a bad deal for Wayne... he's actually outplayed Harrison pretty often over the last two years. I think he's the real deal. I'm not sure how they'll make room for Freeney's deal next offseason though...
I think he's earned it, but who do the Colts think is more important right now, Wayne or Freeney? That may ultimately be the tradeoff.

Last edited by jeff061 : 02-23-2006 at 04:03 PM.
jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 04:06 PM   #38
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

The Raiders have declined to franchise Charles Woodson. I wonder how much he'll get on the open market.

Fire Ron Lee.
Old 02-23-2006, 04:07 PM   #39
Daimyo
College Starter

I don't think Manning's contract gets out of hand for a few more seasons. Also of note, Edge's $8M salary is off the books next year so they should be okay assuming they take a capable RB in the 1st round. I really don't think they will regret Wayne's contract because I think you have to pay for studs, but I do think they might Stokely's... he's so situational and there are games he barely plays because of the effectiveness of the two TE sets.
Old 02-23-2006, 04:12 PM   #40
Daimyo
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061
Well, he payed off great for a couple years, but you can't afford to keep two #1 receivers and a Peyton Manning while looking to compete beyond another couple years. Anyone out there do a cap breakdown for the Colts? Maybe the reality is not as bad as the perception.

I think he's earned it, but who do the Colts think is more important right now, Wayne or Freeney? That may ultimately be the tradeoff.
I agree that it will be tough, but I can't imagine that Freeney will ever hit the open market. It feels a bit sacrilegious to say it as a Colt's fan, but if I had to choose between Wayne and Harrison right now at their current contracts I'd take Wayne.

The real key to the next few years will be how effectively they replace Edgerrin. If they can pull a guy at 1(30) who can be effective they will be just fine, but if they can't it won't matter how great the WR corps is....
Old 02-23-2006, 04:44 PM   #41
Swaggs
Coordinator

A couple of interesting notes/speculation from rotoworld.com:

Quote:
The Patriots did not use the franchise tag on Adam Vinatieri.
Either New England is confident they can sign Vinatieri to a long-term deal shortly or they are willing to lose him. He wouldn't last long on the free agent market, especially with Bill Parcells needing a kicker.

Looks like Jeeber's wildest dreams could come true.

Quote:
The Jets are reportedly interested in trading up with the Saints for the No. 2 pick.
And the smokescreens begin! In this scenario, the Jets would trade up to draft Jay Cutler, thwarting any hope the Titans have to take him. If the Saints were set on Matt Leinart, it wouldn't make sense for them to move.

It would be wildly interesting if Cutler, rather than Lienhart or Young, ended up being the first QB off the board.
Old 02-23-2006, 08:16 PM   #42
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Seahawks tagged Hutchinson, but only with a transition tag. Interesting.
Old 02-23-2006, 08:19 PM   #43
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Seahawks tagged Hutchinson, but only with a transition tag. Interesting.

Go get 'im Ted Thompson!

On a side note: I know Hutchinson's cousin. I've been trying to lobby Hutch through her to sign with the Packers.
Old 02-23-2006, 08:53 PM   #44
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonzie
Go get 'im Ted Thompson!

On a side note: I know Hutchinson's cousin. I've been trying to lobby Hutch through her to sign with the Packers.
Ain't gonna happen - the 'Hawks will match any offers for him.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 08:57 PM   #45
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Quote:

He's been tagged twice before. But, OMG! The Pats did not franchise him!

http://www.patriots.com/news/index.c...=15548&pcid=41

He's on the market for god's sake! I sure hope they have something nearly done, because I'm starting to get a bad feeling about this. I might even have to change my name, goddammit! (Am I really saying this about a kicker??)
Vinatieri for Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 09:08 PM   #46
ShovelMonkey
H.S. Freshman Team

Walsh hired as Raiders' offensive coordinatorBy Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com

The Oakland Raiders reached deep into their past in choosing Art Shell as their new head coach. And now Shell has done the same in selecting his offensive coordinator.

In a move that has been rumored since he replaced Norv Turner as head coach, Shell has hired Tom Walsh to oversee an offense that, despite having plenty of potential playmakers, statistically ranked No. 21 in the league in 2005.

Walsh has not coached in the NFL since 1994, when he was fired, along with Shell, by the Raiders. Walsh hasn't worked at any level of the game since 1999, when he was director of operations and head coach of a minor-league franchise in Mobile, Ala., in 1999. Before that, he was head coach at Idaho State, where he compiled a 6-16 record in two seasons.

That recent idleness aside, Shell has great faith in Walsh, who worked for the Raiders from 1982 to '94, coaching quarterbacks and receivers before being elevated to coordinator. Walsh most recently has operated a bed-and-breakfast ranch and served as mayor of Swan Valley, Idaho.

Oakland's most recently hired coordinator, Jimmy Raye, is a close friend of Shell and the two have worked together in the past. But Raye departed the Raiders to become running backs coach with the New York Jets before Oakland hired Shell as head coach.

The Raiders did retain quarterbacks coach John Shoop, who actually interviewed for the head coach spot with the team, and he figures to have considerable input into the offensive design as well.

Also, as rumored, Shell has added Hall of Fame tackle Jackie Slater as offensive line coach. Slater played 20 seasons in the NFL, with the Los Angeles/St. Louis Rams, and was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 2001. He will work with another former NFL lineman, Irv Eatman, in tutoring the Raiders' blockers.

Former NFL defensive lineman Daryl Sims, who most recently was head coach of the Cologne franchise in the NFL Europe League, was hired as a defensive line assistant.

Len Pasquarelli is ESPN.com's senior NFL writer.
Old 02-23-2006, 09:46 PM   #47
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan
Ain't gonna happen - the 'Hawks will match any offers for him.

Oh I know - but should the unlikely happen and the Packers land him I want to take all the credit.
Old 02-24-2006, 06:43 AM   #48
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Niners declined to franchise Julian Peterson and the Bills released OT Mike Williams.

The Cowboys could use another OT but according to DallasCowboys.com they might be more interested in signing the recently released Jason Fabini, who is a Parcells' guy. The Cowboys are also looking at former Jet Jerald Sowell as an upgrade at FB. I've heard Williams can play guard and with the rumors of the 'boys making Larry Allen a cap casualty, maybe Mike Williams will return to the state of Texas as a guard. Of course, from what I've heard the problem with Mike Williams is his work ethic and that is something Parcells does not like.

Fire Ron Lee.
Old 02-26-2006, 04:05 AM   #49
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Profootballtalk.com is not the most reliable place, but i'll post it anyways. This would be amazing if it were true.

A league source tells us that there's a rumor making the rounds at the combine that Texas quarterback Vince Young scored a miserably horrible six on the Wonderlic test.

A six! That's bad. It's beyond bad. In fact, it's the lowest score that we can ever remember hearing anyone getting.

All incoming NFL players take a 50-question version of the Wonderlic, with a 12-minute window within which to finish it.

We found 15 sample Wonderlic questions on ESPN.com's page 2, including such brain-benders as selecting the ninth month of the year from among five possible choices. We'd like to think that most people of average intelligence could get at least six of the 15 sample questions right.

Getting a total of only six out of a total of 50 questions of that same kind is pa-freakin'-thetic. For a guy who's going to be called upon to read defenses and call audibles and work through a progression of receivers against NFL-caliber opposition, it's downright scary.

The source tells us that he hasn't seen the result in writing yet, but that he's "99 percent" certain that Young's score was six.

Said the source, who knows a thing or two about evaluating college players:

"I predict he'll fall all the way out of the first round."

That's a bold statement, and we're not saying that we agree with it -- primarily because our guess is that there's someone almost dumb enough to get a six on the Wonderlic, who'll overlook Young's low score along with any other concerns that might come to light over the next two months.
Old 02-26-2006, 04:20 AM   #50
Poli
FOFC Survivor

If he falls out of the first round I'll fall out of my chair.