Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-27-2003, 12:24 PM   #1
44Niners
In The Penalty Box

Best stat from SuperBowl

Ten times in the history of the SuperBowl a top3 offensive team has opposed a top 3 defensive team and 9 out of 10 times the top defensive team won the game.

Offense is fun, exciting and might even win you a conference title but…

Defense wins championships!

44Niners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 12:35 PM   #2
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

I thought this was the best stat as well. Kinda made me wonder why this wasn't emphasized beforehand, esp. among those experts that predicted an easy Raiders victory.
Anrhydeddu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 12:45 PM   #3
Bee
Pro Starter

I think a lot of people felt the game had changed enough that the old adage that defense wins championships no longer applies. Football is a lot different than it was 20 years ago. With all the rule changes and everything, the offense tends to have an advantage they didn't have in the past.

Not saying I agree with that argument, but that was the thinking I heard before the game from several people who picked Oakland to win.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 12:51 PM   #4
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Mostly the lack of confidence in Tampa probably stems from past failures in the playoffs. They've been heavyweights in the past and consistently disappointed.

Also down the stretch they lost their biggest games against NO and Pitt. That Steeler loss had everyone doubting in spite of not having Brad Johnson.
Old 01-27-2003, 01:03 PM   #5
McSweeny
College Starter

offense sells tickets
defense wins championships
McSweeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 01:32 PM   #6
andy m
High School Varsity

tired cliche.

defense and a productive offense wins championships. put the bucs defense on the field with, say, stan gelbaugh at qb and they don't win the championship.

brad johnson was red hot down the stretch for tampa, and if oakland had managed to keep the bucs running game quiet they would have had way more possession and who knows what might have happened?

it always bugs me when people over simplify things. these people need to read:

a) the hidden game of football
b) http://www.footballproject.com
Old 01-27-2003, 01:42 PM   #7
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
defense and a productive offense wins championships. put the bucs defense on the field with, say, stan gelbaugh at qb and they don't win the championship.

Which is why I rated the 00 Ravens above the 02 Bucs. Ravens had a Stan Gelbaugh at QB...and still won the championship, did they not?
Anrhydeddu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 02:18 PM   #8
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by andy m
tired cliche.

brad johnson was red hot down the stretch for tampa, and if oakland had managed to keep the bucs running game quiet they would have had way more possession and who knows what might have happened?

I doubt if much of anything would have happened differently if Johnson hadn't been red hot. The Raiders didn't manage much more than a whimper of protest, and the Bucs had, what, 3 interceptions run back for touchdowns in the 2nd half? That's 75% of their 2nd half points generated by the defense. Johnson may have been moving the chains, but he wasn't doing much else.

Josh
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 02:31 PM   #9
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

For this game, johnson was horribly inaccurate in the 1st half, until the last drive.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote