Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-06-2006, 05:22 PM   #1
Kodos
Resident Alien

What's your favorite restaurant chain?

I love the Outback. Cheesy fries, clam chowder, Victoria's filet with a Lobster tail and steamed veggies, cheesecakes desert and free refills on Coke. Is there a better meal out there? I think not!

Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 05:29 PM   #2
Coop
High School JV

Don Pablo's
Old 02-06-2006, 05:31 PM   #3
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Black Angus I think. There's another steakhouse chain that I went to in New Mexico that was pretty good.
Old 02-06-2006, 05:31 PM   #4
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I'd agree with the Outback. I also like Red Lobster (mainly for the cheesy biscuits.)
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 05:31 PM   #5
FBPro
College Starter

Outback, Red Lobster(or any related chain-get "the son's family discount"-Olive garden, etc fall into this).
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 05:32 PM   #6
gkb
High School Varsity

Ted's Montana Grill. I freakin' love this place...great buffalo burgers, great shakes, great fries, great everything.
Old 02-06-2006, 05:32 PM   #7
JeeberD
General Manager

Chain restaurants suck.

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 05:33 PM   #8
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBPro
Red Lobster(or any related chain-get "the son's family discount"-Olive garden, etc fall into this).

Darden Restaurants - Red Lobster, OG, Bahama Breeze, Smokey Bones, Seasons 52

Old 02-06-2006, 05:36 PM   #9
Schmidty
Coordinator

I hate Outback. Maybe I've just been there on bad nights, but everytime I've been there, the food was awful and the service was even worse.

My favorites are The Keg, Anthony's Seafood, and Claim Jumper.
Old 02-06-2006, 05:40 PM   #10
FBPro
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD
Darden Restaurants - Red Lobster, OG, Bahama Breeze, Smokey Bones, Seasons 52
Thanks, I wasn't sure of all those that were related. I think the only one's in our area are:

Red Lobster
Olive Garden
Smokey Bones-haven't eaten here as of yet.
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 05:41 PM   #11
Raven Hawk
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty
I hate Outback. Maybe I've just been there on bad nights, but everytime I've been there, the food was awful and the service was even worse.

My favorites are The Keg, Anthony's Seafood, and Claim Jumper.

I agree. I've been to Outback twice and both times the service absolutely sucked. Maybe it was just the particular restaurant that I went to. The food I thought was mediocre at best. But the service . . .

My favorite: Famous Dave's. Great Service. Great Food. Decent Prices.
Old 02-06-2006, 05:44 PM   #12
JeeberD
General Manager

Too bad Bahama Breeze isn't in your area, it's actually pretty damn good. I haven't been to a Smokey Bones yet. They came to Texas just recently since BBQ is already pretty well represented down here...too much competition for a brand new chain.

Seasons 52 is a new concept, only a year old or so. It's much more upscale than the rest of the Darden restaurants and the gimmick is that they change their menu every week. I think there are only a couple of those right now, only in the Orlando area I believe.

Old 02-06-2006, 06:06 PM   #13
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Ruth's Chris Steakhouse or Texas de Brazil Churrascaria are my favorites.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 06:20 PM   #14
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I've got quite a few that I like pretty well although, as somebody alluded to up the thread, individual locations can vary both up & down the satisfaction scale.

Among my favorites though:
-- Longhorn Steaks ... I spent several years hating them after having consistent terrible experiences in them. Now, 10-15 years later, I have above-average luck with them & am pretty consistently satisfied at each of the several locations I usually visit.

-- Waffle House ... some are most definitely better than others, but on the whole, I'm hard pressed to come up with a chain of any kind that I've gotten more satisfaction from over the past 20 years or so.

-- Steak & Ale ... there doesn't seem to be many of these left anymore, but the one in downtown Atlanta has been a nice addition to our family dining options recently. A nice old-school throwback to what "eating out" used to be like.

The one I haven't tried yet but really want to check out would be Red Robin. Only one location in Georgia so far though, and it's nearly 2 hours from me (but recently got a rave review from a good friend of ours, who said that it was so perfect a place for me that I actually became a topic of dinner conversation on his recent visit. I think the combination of a very large burger + mayo + bacon all topped with a fried egg somehow made him remember my dietary tendencies )
Old 02-06-2006, 06:24 PM   #15
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
-- Steak & Ale ... there doesn't seem to be many of these left anymore, but the one in downtown Atlanta has been a nice addition to our family dining options recently. A nice old-school throwback to what "eating out" used to be like.

When I lived in Florida, that was my favorite place to eat. It was awesome.

Quote:
The one I haven't tried yet but really want to check out would be Red Robin. Only one location in Georgia so far though, and it's nearly 2 hours from me (but recently got a rave review from a good friend of ours, who said that it was so perfect a place for me that I actually became a topic of dinner conversation on his recent visit. I think the combination of a very large burger + mayo + bacon all topped with a fried egg somehow made him remember my dietary tendencies )

If you've been to Applebees, then you've been to Red Robin. Nice little family restaurant, but totally unspectacular. I actually like the burgers from Applebees and TGIFridays a bit better.

Last edited by Schmidty : 02-06-2006 at 06:26 PM.
Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 06:27 PM   #16
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Chipotle - hand's down.
Old 02-06-2006, 06:27 PM   #17
Dutch
"Dutch"

I could eat at Smokey Bones every day of the week...mmmmmm...

Last edited by Dutch : 02-06-2006 at 06:30 PM.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 06:28 PM   #18
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty
If you've been to Applebees, then you've been to Red Robin. Nice little family restaurant, but totally unspectacular.

Wow, talk about a different p.o.v. ... I'm definitely not saying you're wrong, it's just ... Wow. Like 150 degrees off from the rave I heard. The comparison that my friend used was "a cross between Dave & Busters and Fuddrucker's", and he raved at great length about the burgers & appetizers. And neither the burgers nor the appetizers at Applebee's here are remotely noteworthy (often barely tolerable is more like it) Maybe your Applebee's kick the ass of our Applebee's? Or maybe our single Red Robin is doing an above average job of execution since it's so isolated from the rest of the chain?
Old 02-06-2006, 06:29 PM   #19
Izulde
Head Coach

Fazoli's and Applebee's.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 06:35 PM   #20
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Wow, talk about a different p.o.v. ... I'm definitely not saying you're wrong, it's just ... Wow. Like 150 degrees off from the rave I heard. The comparison that my friend used was "a cross between Dave & Busters and Fuddrucker's", and he raved at great length about the burgers & appetizers. And neither the burgers nor the appetizers at Applebee's here are remotely noteworthy (often barely tolerable is more like it) Maybe your Applebee's kick the ass of our Applebee's? Or maybe our single Red Robin is doing an above average job of execution since it's so isolated from the rest of the chain?

Actually, I've been to a ton of different Applebees, and they are all consistant in their mediocrity.

Fuddruckers is awesome and destroys Red Robin as far as the burgers.

I live literally 2 blocks from Red Robin, and although we still eat there on occasion, it's only when we don't feel like driving far. Every person I talk to, including my friend Mike who is an assistant manager there, say the same basic thing about RR: "Meh".

I'm not saying it's terrible, but I think the ravings you heard about it are way more than it deserves.

Last edited by Schmidty : 02-06-2006 at 06:35 PM.
Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 06:39 PM   #21
ageofquarrel
H.S. Freshman Team

nifty fifties for milkshakes and soda.

chain restaurant's are for the birds.
ageofquarrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 06:40 PM   #22
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Lucille's BBQ
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 06:47 PM   #23
bosshogg23
College Benchwarmer

Not a national chain but a NJ/NY/PA thing, Charlie Browns Steakhouse is great. Decent prices, great staff, good food. Ive been to several and they always have those 3 things.

I also dont see many restaurants that have Loyalty Club type things where you earn points based on the amount of food you buy. Like a frequent flyer program, anyways, I love it. They send a $10 coupon for birthdays(up to 5 ppl per house) and $20 coupons each time you reach a certain point level.
bosshogg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 06:48 PM   #24
TheOhioStateUniversity
High School Varsity

Cheesecake Factory, I love cheesecake and the menu offers a plethora of choices.
Old 02-06-2006, 06:50 PM   #25
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Red Lobster, Applebee's, Chipotle
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 06:58 PM   #26
hoopsguy
General Manager

Add me to the Chipotle crowd for lunch, and Cheesecake Factory is a solid choice for dinner.

Cartman went a little more upscale with his Ruth Chris selection and the South American steak chain - in that vein, Morton's is an awfully good steak place, but would people consider this a "chain"? If the criteria is that there are multiple locations, then that really opens up the thought process.

Carraba's is a chain I haven't heard listed hear that Mrs. Hoops and I both enjoy. Down in Florida we liked a place called Hops as well.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 07:01 PM   #27
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Places like Ruth's Chris doesn't really count as a "chain" for me.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 07:03 PM   #28
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Smokey Bones. Hard to believe they are a chain while I'm chowing down some tasty flesh. Cheescake Factory is alright, but really it's all about their portions.

I got one of each within a quarter mile of where I work. Lunch is great.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 07:06 PM   #29
Tigercat
College Starter

Olive Garden and Fazoli's, what can I say, I am a breadstick whore. I also really like Outback's dark bread.

But my favorite is probably Copelands, the mostly southern creole restaurant chain by Popeye's founder Al Copeland. (Oddly enough, saw one North of Cincy, so I guess it does have a few ones away from the South.) Heavy and spicy creole/cajun food, doesn't get better than that.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 07:10 PM   #30
TheOhioStateUniversity
High School Varsity

Ohh and I forgot...Benihana the best Japanese steakhouse Ive ever been to. Not many in the Cleveland area that I know of. The food is excellent, albeit expensive for a 20 year old college student.
Old 02-06-2006, 07:33 PM   #31
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I guess "Fogo de Chao" (Brazillian steakhouse) could count as a chain, though probably not too likely as there are six of them in the U.S. It's just fantastic though...

http://www.fogodechao.com/

Cheesecake Factory is interesting. The portions are astoundingly large, but the fact that they serve almost everything makes me nervous. I have never been able to even have a slice of cheesecake after eating there. Though friends brought some to a dinner party once. Quite tasty.

As for as the Appleby's (horrid place), Friday's, Ruby Tuesday, etc, etc. fare, I think I like Ruby Tuesdays the best. Large, decent salad bar and I have been known to become addicted to their buffalo chicken sandwiches.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 07:43 PM   #32
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue
I guess "Fogo de Chao" (Brazillian steakhouse) could count as a chain, though probably not too likely as there are six of them in the U.S. It's just fantastic though...

http://www.fogodechao.com/

Cheesecake Factory is interesting. The portions are astoundingly large, but the fact that they serve almost everything makes me nervous. I have never been able to even have a slice of cheesecake after eating there. Though friends brought some to a dinner party once. Quite tasty.

As for as the Appleby's (horrid place), Friday's, Ruby Tuesday, etc, etc. fare, I think I like Ruby Tuesdays the best. Large, decent salad bar and I have been known to become addicted to their buffalo chicken sandwiches.

Based on your raves about Fogo de Chao, I'm taking the missus there in a few weeks (the next time we get a cheat meal on our diet). I also looked at the chef's table at Citronelle... BWAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Won't be going there anytime soon (not without selling one of children to pay the tab, anyway).

Have you been to Les Halles in DC? Very curious about how good their steaks are.

As far as chains go, I'd have to say Chili's for their Big Mouth Burgers, and Olive Garden for everything else.
Old 02-06-2006, 07:45 PM   #33
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOhioStateUniversity
Ohh and I forgot...Benihana the best Japanese steakhouse Ive ever been to. Not many in the Cleveland area that I know of. The food is excellent, albeit expensive for a 20 year old college student.
Benihana and Olive Garden for me....i love the salad at both places
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 07:47 PM   #34
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Ah, now I know why OG and Red Lobster both sucks. They use the same boiler for the artificial fish as they overcook the soggy noodles in

My vote would be Macaroni Grill and Chipotle.

Last edited by Buccaneer : 02-06-2006 at 07:47 PM.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 07:47 PM   #35
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsguy
Down in Florida we liked a place called Hops as well.

Random little trivial sidebar here -- Hops, along with Don Pablo's, are part of the Avado Brands family. Avado was once known as AppleSouth & was the largest Applebee's franchisee in the country. The founder basically managed to find a way to run the company into the ground (dumping core assets & launching multiple disasterously failed new concept chains) and now is trying to rebuild itself under new management/ownership. All of this is somewhat interesting to me because the company is headquartered in a little town about 20 miles from me.

The former CEO, btw, was recently elected mayor of said little town.
Old 02-06-2006, 07:47 PM   #36
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD
Chain restaurants suck.

I am wondering how people tell them apart.
Old 02-06-2006, 07:53 PM   #37
hoopsguy
General Manager

Fogo is really good - don't load up on the salad bar, even though it is supposed to be excellent. I tried to fight the system, but eventually every man has to put up the stop sign at that place ...
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 08:07 PM   #38
LoneStarGirl
College Starter

Macaroni grill and Red Lobster
LoneStarGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 08:41 PM   #39
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue
I've never actually eaten dinner there. There's one down on the Plaza in KC and my wife and I like to walk around down there on warm summer nights and then go in there and get cheesecake.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 09:02 PM   #40
TheOhioStateUniversity
High School Varsity

Kodos do you eat all that food in one sitting?
Old 02-06-2006, 09:03 PM   #41
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I really liked Fuddruckers a lot. Too bad its not in my surrounding area. I suppose i could just make 2/3 pound burgers on my grill, but its not the same as when someone makes it for you, and you have the nice garnish setup to boot. Its just something odd, like I would never make myself a 1/2 pound burger at the house, but when you go out to eat, you order it with no problem.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 09:03 PM   #42
sooner333
College Starter

Charlestons (not sure how many there are) I like a lot, and when I was in Texas I really liked Pappadaux's for seafood, been to one in Houston and a more upscale one in North Dallas on OU/texas weekend. As for the other's, I like them all pretty well...but I like a bunch of Tex-Mex places that are chains, probably going to El Chico the most.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 09:24 PM   #43
Joe
Pro Starter

Wendy's
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 09:26 PM   #44
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

I guess my favorite is Longhorn - delicious cheese fries and tasty steaks, but I find them a bit expensive.

most of the rest just sort of depend on my mood.
-I really like the food at Chilis, but the service at ours is atrocious.
-The 99 is another one I like (mostly for the boneless buffalo wings) but they usually have too long of a wait for me.
-I don't mind admitting to being a fan of Applebees - normally pretty consistent in terms of food, having short waits for tables, and service.
-Unos is one I dislike - don't dig their food very much and their service is beyond bad: we walked out twice after having miserable service, and are unlikely to repeat that mistake again.
-Outback I've only been to once or twice, but I've been pretty underwhelmed each visit.
-Never have been a fan of the Olive Garden, and, literally, the wait for our new one is usually measured in hours (which completely mystifies me). That said, my brother in law wanted to go there for some function recently and it was one of the best experiences I've had - terrific food and even better service.

They don't have them around here, but I'm a huge fan of Chevy's, as close to an authentic Mexican place as I've found on the East Coast. Discovered them on a vacation in Washington and loved it. We have a nice Mexican chain in New England called Margaritas. I love the place, but it's not like the authentic stuff I grew up on.
Old 02-06-2006, 09:26 PM   #45
LoneStarGirl
College Starter

Actually the cheese cake factory has great food but even better cheese cake. I forgot what I got the past 3 or 4 times i went, but it was delicious.
LoneStarGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 09:29 PM   #46
Joe
Pro Starter

Chevy's is a chain? I was in there one time and it was a dump so I figured it was just local.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 09:34 PM   #47
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

I'll put up a new one: PF Chang's China Bistro. That's good stuff.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 09:40 PM   #48
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by George W Bush
Chevy's is a chain? I was in there one time and it was a dump so I figured it was just local.

It's a chain. My wife is a chef in one of them. The ones in New Orleans are paying very good hourly wages right now.

I don't know if they are a chain, but I also like Bravo for Italian food.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 09:40 PM   #49
MrBug708
Head Coach

Yay's
Sizzler (worked there for 3 years)
Yardhouse
PF Changs
Claim Jumper
Macaroni Grill

Nay's
Applebee's
Olive Garden
Souplantation

Local Eateries I like
Casa Del Rey
Dominico's
Northwood's Inn (Also known as "Cask and Clever")

Last edited by MrBug708 : 02-06-2006 at 09:41 PM.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 09:53 PM   #50
SFL Cat
College Starter

Macaroni Grill, Bennigans, PF Changs, Chili's
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote