Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-05-2006, 09:16 PM   #1
G-Man
High School JV

Angry WORST EVER OFFICIATED SUPERBOWL!!

THE SEAHAWKS WERE "JOBBED"!!

Yes Pittsburgh is a good team and yes they might have beaten the Seahawks in a fairly played game. But anyone who know's sports and watched this game cannot believe that it was played on an "even" playing field.

Even my sister in law in Cleveland who is a lifelong Denver fan (she was born there) told us that they could see how the officials were "throwing the game"! In her words "the officials have cost the Hawks 14 points!!"

I am very sad that this was the way the Seahawks lost. I mean I could "stomach" it if the Steelers outplayed them, but too lose this way just infuriates me!!

What a sad ending to a wonderful season.

Congratulations to Bill Cowher, a classy tough coach.

Seeya next year in Superbowl 41!

Last edited by G-Man : 02-05-2006 at 09:17 PM.
G-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 09:17 PM   #2
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

I disagree.
Old 02-05-2006, 09:18 PM   #3
LoneStarGirl
College Starter

A little biased maybe?
LoneStarGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 09:18 PM   #4
G-Man
High School JV

and I don't give a fig...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenEagle
I disagree.

Good for you, that's what makes the world go round. Oh and which zebra are you related too
Old 02-05-2006, 09:18 PM   #5
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

I feel for the Steelers and their fans. They won on the field, and crying whiners are going to try and take that away from them.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 09:18 PM   #6
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

I feel like I was watching a different game, as I can't once remember the officiating being a discussion among those of us watching it together.

I'm asking this quite seriously, can someone list what they feel were the terrible calls that were made against Seattle?
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 09:19 PM   #7
G-Man
High School JV

Allot biased but still it is what it is....

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarGirl
A little biased maybe?

Irrelevant!
Old 02-05-2006, 09:20 PM   #8
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Steelers almost got jobbed by officiating vs the Colts, but they persevered.

The stronger team won.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 09:20 PM   #9
G-Man
High School JV

Cause you know it's true, otherwise...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg
I feel for the Steelers and their fans. They won on the field, and crying whiners are going to try and take that away from them.

you wouldn't be saying that....
Old 02-05-2006, 09:21 PM   #10
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Seattle shot themselves in the foot (managing the last drive of both halves, for instance, and Stevens dropping most balls that came his way), but I'm going to agree that a lot of bad calls went against Seattle. That Offensive Interference call against Darrel Jackson to take away the TD is pretty much NEVER called (and he barely brushed the defender at all), and Hagans was offsides both on the holding call (which was a BS holding call) to take away the throw to the one yard line and on the sack that came on the next play. Plus the bad "low block" call on Hasselbeck when he was making a tackle after the INT. And the Hasselbeck "fumble" that was overturned on replay just wasn't even close; Seattle should never have had to use a challenge on that one.

The officials definitely continued their poor offseason officiating.
Old 02-05-2006, 09:21 PM   #11
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000
I feel like I was watching a different game, as I can't once remember the officiating being a discussion among those of us watching it together.

I'm asking this quite seriously, can someone list what they feel were the terrible calls that were made against Seattle?

Honestly, I must have missed it as well. The pass interference call, yes. Other than that, I can't recall anything bad (I did miss a bit of the 1st half rounding kids up, but that was still early).
Old 02-05-2006, 09:22 PM   #12
G-Man
High School JV

not too this extent...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRoxDVHStyle
Steelers almost got jobbed by officiating vs the Colts, but they persevered.

The stronger team won.

However I will agree with you that the NFL Officials get more incomeptent every year!
Old 02-05-2006, 09:22 PM   #13
Dutch
"Dutch"

I wanted to watch a good game, not "whine" about the ref's all night. Trust me on that one, grantdawg.
Dutch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 09:22 PM   #14
AlexB
Pro Starter

1 terrible call: Hasselbeck's 'block below the waist' that was a tackle. But Ward would have scored even if he was 15 yards further back if the flag was, as it should have been, picked up.

1 questionable call: holding when Stevens caught the ball at the 1.

Otherwise I think they got everything right: I think the ball grazed the line for Ben's TD, it was a definite push off, and while they got Hasselbecks fumble wrong initially, they reversed it after review. The non-called offsides in the 4th weren't offside. I think that about covers it.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 09:22 PM   #15
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

I personally liked the "cut" tackle.
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 09:23 PM   #16
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Yeah, the refs made a few bad calls, but..Seattle clearly gave the game away. I mean, they should've won and instead, looks like rookies out there. The more experience, better team won. Good game, overall. But Seattle should've played better.
Old 02-05-2006, 09:23 PM   #17
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack
And the Hasselbeck "fumble" that was overturned on replay just wasn't even close; Seattle should never have had to use a challenge on that one.

Not close on replay. As the play happened I thought it was a fumble too, I missed what basically amounted to a one-hand touch on the play.
Old 02-05-2006, 09:23 PM   #18
Tigercat
College Starter

Ditto, I actually thought this was a WELL officiated super bowl. They let close fumbles play out so that they could be reviewed correctly later. They didn't make any obviously bad calls. They let the players play except when contact was obvious(such as the offensive pass interference in the end zone).
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 09:24 PM   #19
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

How about Haggans being offsides (not called), then they call the RT for holding on Haggans on the play that they completed the pass down to the 1 yard line... That was a huge call... The score was 14-10 at that point.
INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 09:25 PM   #20
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jari Rantanen's Shorts
1 terrible call: Hasselbeck's 'block below the waist' that was a tackle.

IIRC, there was a very similar play in the regular season that was called the same way, can't remember which game it was in (it doesn't seem like a *logical* call, but apparently the rule is being applied consistently).
Old 02-05-2006, 09:25 PM   #21
Tigercat
College Starter

Forgot about the Hassleback penalty, that was ridiculous, besides that though, thought it was a well called game. Especially compared to a lot of football games I saw this year.

Last edited by Tigercat : 02-05-2006 at 09:26 PM.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 09:26 PM   #22
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Man
you wouldn't be saying that....

Yes I would. My team got jobbed pretty bad on some bad calls, but I still recognize that they lost the game. That game was much worse than this one, but it still was the bad play of the players that determined the game, not the refs. I have also seen games were the refs were the determining factor, but this wasn't one of them.
Old 02-05-2006, 09:26 PM   #23
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
1 terrible call: Hasselbeck's 'block below the waist' that was a tackle. But Ward would have scored even if he was 15 yards further back if the flag was, as it should have been, picked up.

Otherwise I think they got everything right: I think the ball grazed the line for Ben's TD, it was a definite push off, and while they got Hasselbecks fumble wrong initially, they reversed it after review. The non-called offsides in the 4th weren't offside. I think that about covers it.

That summarizes my impressions as well. I think Seattle can blame their horrible clock management at the ends of the halves and their 2 missed FG's more than the refs for their loss.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 09:27 PM   #24
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg

Me too.
Old 02-05-2006, 09:27 PM   #25
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72
Honestly, I must have missed it as well. The pass interference call, yes. Other than that, I can't recall anything bad (I did miss a bit of the 1st half rounding kids up, but that was still early).
Are you serious? gstelmack pointed out some of the more obvious ones, but you and Corey must have not been paying too much attention if you saw nothing wrong in the way the officiating went down. I didn't have a horse in this game and just hoped for something good to watch, but this was an atrocious game to sit through. The way the game was called has really got to be a black eye on the NFL.
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 09:28 PM   #26
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
Me too.

Sorry, I just call them like I see them.
Dutch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 09:28 PM   #27
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
That summarizes my impressions as well. I think Seattle can blame their horrible clock management at the ends of the halves and their 2 missed FG's more than the refs for their loss.

I agree 100%. I think the officiating was terrible (and most importantly, terrible mostly against the Seahawks, I can't think of a single bad call that went Seattle's way), but the Seahawks still had their chances and couldn't deliver. The first FG miss was clearly on Holmgren's shoulders as they should have been much closer before attempting it, for example. And Stevens dropped several balls, Engram just wiffed on a first down catch, etc etc etc.
Old 02-05-2006, 09:29 PM   #28
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:

Ok, good point. This was a totally phantom call, and I'm not sure what the ref thought he was seeing. Tough to know how big a deal it was in the scheme of things though, but i do agree that was a bad call.

Quote:
I thought this was definitely the right call. The DE got a great jump on that play and the OT had to completely hold his right shoulder/arm to keep him from blowing right past him.

Quote:

I agree with all those. I do think Ben's ball grazed the line, and while they got the call right (IMHO), i'm not sure why that ref's signal changed from spotting the ball to calling it a TD. That seemed odd, but it didn't focus on it too much since they did review it and i think they got the call right. The fumble did look like a fumble to me in real time, and they did get it right on the replay.

So in my mind the Seahawks can say they got screwed on 1 single call, the phantom low block penalty against Hasselbeck.
Old 02-05-2006, 09:30 PM   #29
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPI97
Are you serious? gstelmack pointed out some of the more obvious ones, but you and Corey must have not been paying too much attention if you saw nothing wrong in the way the officiating went down. I didn't have a horse in this game and just hoped for something good to watch, but this was an atrocious game to sit through. The way the game was called has really got to be a black eye on the NFL.

I payed attention like a hawk the entire game. I even polled a few of my firends over the phone just now about what they thought about officiating. None of them thought it was any better or worse than usual.
Old 02-05-2006, 09:30 PM   #30
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Even my sister in law in Cleveland who is a lifelong Denver fan (she was born there) told us that they could see how the officials were "throwing the game"! In her words "the officials have cost the Hawks 14 points!!"
That right there leads me to think his post was sarcastic.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 09:32 PM   #31
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch
Sorry, I just call them like I see them.

No big deal. Pittsburgh is only my 3rd favorite team. I would be in bliss if it was the Eagles, and then I would be much more upset with all of the criticism of the refs
Old 02-05-2006, 09:32 PM   #32
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Quote:
None of them thought it was any better or worse than usual.
I'd agree with that since this has been the worst year for officiating (college and pro) that I've seen since I started watching football 25 years ago.
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 09:32 PM   #33
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
I thought this was definitely the right call. The DE got a great jump on that play

Did you even watch the replay? He's across the line with the ball still sitting still in front of the center. He went on the count, not the snap. CLEARLY offsides, and he was offsides on the next play as well.
Old 02-05-2006, 09:33 PM   #34
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
But anyone who know's sports and watched this game cannot believe that it was played on an "even" playing field.

I hope you know sports better than you know punctuation.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 09:34 PM   #35
G-Man
High School JV

Exclamation ok here is the start of the list:

Quote:

(1) The bogus PI call that cost the Hawks 4 poinnt (7-3).
(2) The bogus TD by Ben when he did not get in and lest say they get only 3 another 4 points.
(3) The TD near halftime whne the Hawks WR hit the dang pylon, that is 7 points!
(4) The bogus holding call on Stevens catch at the 1 yard line in the 4th quarter. & points there.
(5) The continual calls against the Hawks not beeing called on the Steelers (holding and the like).
(6) 7 for 70 and 3 for 20 in penalties is not even handed. The Hawks did not make mistakes that the Steelers also made. Both sides were seen holding just the Hawks got called and the Steelers didn't.
(7) East Coast Bias (tongue in cheek)...still lives...

I've probably forgotten a few others so I'll come back later when I recall them.
Old 02-05-2006, 09:34 PM   #36
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Did you even watch the replay? He's across the line with the ball still sitting still in front of the center. He went on the count, not the snap. CLEARLY offsides, and he was offsides on the next play as well.
exactly...
INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 09:35 PM   #37
Groundhog
Coordinator

Look, I don't support either team, but in my opinion Seattle got screwed.

Perhaps none more so than Ben Rothetuierhtberger's "td".
Old 02-05-2006, 09:35 PM   #38
G-Man
High School JV

I agree...goes to how the game was called...

Quote:

Thanks I had forgotten about those 2 non calls.
Old 02-05-2006, 09:36 PM   #39
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
I thought this was definitely the right call. The DE got a great jump on that play and the OT had to completely hold his right shoulder/arm to keep him from blowing right past him.

Just in case it was misunderstood (it's like 3.30am over here and I'm tired - can't work out subtleties (or spell that word by the looks of it ) I agree the officiating wasn't horrible.

On the holding, why it was questionable to me was did Locklear actually have a grip on the DE? If he just had his arm out to block him without grabbing him or tripping him, is that still holding?
Old 02-05-2006, 09:36 PM   #40
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

it's always the refs fault, they shouldn't have called an obvious pass intereference on jackson, it's their fault the hawks let up 2 big "gadget" plays, stupid refs letting big ben run loose and throw a big bomb to ward, those big bad refs made Hasselbeck forget how to handle the clock, it's their fault the hawks gave up a 75 yard run to parker. did you see the ref come in and blindside Stevens on 1 of his many drops? those assholes.

every game has calls that favor another team, go back and look at each of the seahawks games this season and ill bet you can find in at least one of them a game where the refs favored them. get over it, the steelers were the better team and the seahawks weren't.
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 09:37 PM   #41
G-Man
High School JV

Nope I am serious...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai
That right there leads me to think his post was sarcastic.

Bring something to the thread or go somewhere else.

Thanks!
Old 02-05-2006, 09:38 PM   #42
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinifan999
it's always the refs fault, they shouldn't have called an obvious pass intereference on jackson, it's their fault the hawks let up 2 big "gadget" plays, stupid refs letting big ben run loose and throw a big bomb to ward, those big bad refs made Hasselbeck forget how to handle the clock, it's their fault the hawks gave up a 75 yard run to parker. did you see the ref come in and blindside Stevens on 1 of his many drops? those assholes.

every game has calls that favor another team, go back and look at each of the seahawks games this season and ill bet you can find in at least one of them a game where the refs favored them. get over it, the steelers were the better team and the seahawks weren't.

And don't forget moving the goal-posts on the field goals. It was all a conspiracy!
Old 02-05-2006, 09:38 PM   #43
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinifan999
the steelers were the better team and the seahawks weren't.
I think this statement should be: The seahawks were the better team, but the steelers made more big plays. Same thing happened in the DEN/NE game.
Old 02-05-2006, 09:38 PM   #44
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPI97

I will admit to having missed the "cut tackle" (though I swear that I saw this same call in the regular season, damned if I can't remember the game though) and the holding call. I thought the TD looked legit, and didn't really catch much else. The Hasselback fumble wasn't any worse than your typical fumble review.
Old 02-05-2006, 09:38 PM   #45
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Thanks!

Humor can be an important contribution
Old 02-05-2006, 09:39 PM   #46
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
IIRC, there was a very similar play in the regular season that was called the same way, can't remember which game it was in (it doesn't seem like a *logical* call, but apparently the rule is being applied consistently).

Against the Giants on an Eli Manning INT.
lynchjm24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 09:39 PM   #47
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22
I think this statement should be: The seahawks were the better team, but the steelers made more big plays. Same thing happened in the DEN/NE game.

Ultimately, isn't the team that made more big plays, the better team?
Old 02-05-2006, 09:40 PM   #48
timmynausea
College Starter

Quote:
Just in case it was misunderstood (it's like 3.30am over here and I'm tired - can't work out subtleties (or spell that word by the looks of it ) I agree the officiating wasn't horrible.

On the holding, why it was questionable to me was did Locklear actually have a grip on the DE? If he just had his arm out to block him without grabbing him or tripping him, is that still holding?

He had his arm hooked around the DE's shoulder or it would've been a sack.

I thought that, on the whole, it wasn't a horribly called game. It just so happened that penalties really hurt Seattle. I didn't think there were any really bad calls, though, aside from the Hasselbeck tackle penalty.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 09:41 PM   #49
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:

Definitely the right call - the push off caused Hope to take a (small) step backwards away from the ball

(2) The bogus TD by Ben when he did not get in and lest say they get only 3 another 4 points.

On the replays I think it did indeed graze the goalline, although it was a great attempt by the defender

(3) The TD near halftime whne the Hawks WR hit the dang pylon, that is 7 points!

From the Chicago tribune ask the ref:
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune....ck=1&cset=true
The goal line stretches around the world outside at the field of play. The pylon's purpose is to signify that the ball or player is out-of-bounds in the end zone. If a player going in for a score hits the pylon with the ball extended over the plane of the goal line, he is out-of-bounds in the end zone, and a touchdown is awarded.

So the ball didn't hit the pylon, his knee did, and the ball was outside the plane of the goal-line. No TD

(4) The bogus holding call on Stevens catch at the 1 yard line in the 4th quarter. & points there.

Possibly.

(5) The continual calls against the Hawks not beeing called on the Steelers (holding and the like).

Now you're stretching

(6) 7 for 70 and 3 for 20 in penalties is not even handed. The Hawks did not make mistakes that the Steelers also made. Both sides were seen holding just the Hawks got called and the Steelers didn't.

Ditto

(7) East Coast Bias (tongue in cheek)...still lives...

tongue-in-cheek noted

I've probably forgotten a few others so I'll come back later when I recall them.

You've missed the only call you actually have a definite case with - low block/tackle
Old 02-05-2006, 09:42 PM   #50
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:

Thanks!
Sorry, just thought I'd point out that a Denver fan thinking the officiating sucked in a game that Pittsburgh won is hardly anything worth even mentioning.

And...

He pushed off, textbook offensive pass interference. Get over it,

All the ball has to do is BREAK the line, which it did, TD.

A foot hitting a pylon does not cound as a foot being in bounds.

He had is arm across the defender's chest. Holding.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote