Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-04-2006, 09:23 AM   #1
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Danish Embassy On Fire

> BREAKING NEWS

Danish Embassy in Syrian capital of Damascus set on fire during protests over cartoons of Prophet Mohammed, Syrian officials say.

Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 09:46 AM   #2
Dutch
"Dutch"

The Syrians are not familiar with free press and free speech. They assume that the government runs everything. As far as they know, they are just stickin it to the man.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 10:36 AM   #3
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Amazing. They cannot separate the actions of a private entity from the government of the nation it is in. To them, all the media is nationalized and they think the rest of the world works the same way. It would be nice if they had education in something beyond the Qur'an.

Last edited by Tekneek : 02-04-2006 at 10:38 AM.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 10:47 AM   #4
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekneek
Amazing. They cannot separate the actions of a private entity from the government of the nation it is in. To them, all the media is nationalized and they think the rest of the world works the same way. It would be nice if they had education in something beyond the Qur'an.

That would require reform, and in the middle east, that means war.
Old 02-04-2006, 10:52 AM   #5
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Anyone seen this cartoon yet?
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 10:59 AM   #6
JW
College Prospect

Actually Danish and Norwegian. Another peaceful protest by offended Muslims.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060204/...kxBHNlYwN0bQ--

By ALBERT AJI, Associated Press Writer
21 minutes ago

DAMASCUS, Syria - Rage against caricatures of Islam's revered prophet poured out across the Muslim world Saturday, with aggrieved believers calling for executions, storming European buildings and setting European flags afire.

Thousands of outraged Syrian demonstrators stormed the Danish and Norwegian embassies in Damascus, setting fire to both buildings.

Police fired tear gas and water cannons to disperse demonstrators at the Norwegian Embassy after the Danish building was burned.

But the protesters broke through police barriers and set fire to the second building, shouting "Allahu Akbar!" which is Arabic for "God is great!"
JW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 11:34 AM   #7
Dutch
"Dutch"

Protestor's have no clue what the signs say, but organizers ensure them that Danish television viewers can read the signs perfectly.

Protestor's are also assured that they are now absolutely within their rights to trample the Danish flag and heck...it even has a cross on it which makes it not only legal, but encouraged by Islamic Mullahs.

Touchdown!

Go for two!

No, go for one.

Errr....uh....

Errr...uh....Blame Bush! And his friend, Blair.

"Burn, baby, burn!"

"Disco inferno!"

Shaka Zulu!

I got nothin...
Old 02-04-2006, 11:38 AM   #8
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Dutch is gonna get this board burnt down.
Old 02-04-2006, 11:41 AM   #9
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Dutch, that is hall of fame material.
Old 02-04-2006, 11:44 AM   #10
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

I need access to the country's nuclear codes.
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 11:47 AM   #11
st.cronin
General Manager

Clearly some act of Empire is required here - the idea that these people can rule themselves has been proven false, no?

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 11:49 AM   #12
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Do any of these piece-of-shit news outlets have MORE information on what has upset the Syrian people so much? Caricatures of Mohammed?
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 11:51 AM   #13
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

You guys get a few pictures and it's apparently just as easy to act exactly the same way they are. Like monkeys.
Old 02-04-2006, 11:53 AM   #14
JW
College Prospect

Hey, just a second. The man in this photo. (Is that a man or woman? I'm assuming man but am not sure.) Whose number is 42? Is he wearing a piece of decadent Western clothing? And isn't that a Nike wristband? He (or she) should be stoned for wearing symbols of the Great Satan.

Old 02-04-2006, 11:53 AM   #15
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar
You guys get a few pictures and it's apparently just as easy to act exactly the same way they are. Like monkeys.

Not really. Posts on a messageboard are nothing like what is in those photos.
Old 02-04-2006, 11:54 AM   #16
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekneek
Not really. Posts on a messageboard are nothing like what is in those photos.

Ignorance reigns in many forms.
Old 02-04-2006, 11:54 AM   #17
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW
Hey, just a second. The man in this photo. (Is that a man or woman? I'm assuming man but am not sure.) Whose number is 42? Is he wearing a piece of decadent Western clothing? And isn't that a Nike wristband? He (or she) should be stoned for wearing symbols of the Great Satan.

ROFLMBAO!!! Nice catch, JW!!!
Old 02-04-2006, 11:57 AM   #18
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:

Having a laugh over some photos is nothing like what is going on there. If they could have a laugh like we are, none of it would even be going on. That's the big difference. We're demonstrating that we have a sense of humor, while they're repeatedly demonstrating how they don't.
Old 02-04-2006, 11:58 AM   #19
stevew
Hall Of Famer

That's gotta be an Elton Brand warmup jacket in that photo.
Old 02-04-2006, 12:00 PM   #20
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:

You're right, we should just ignore this, and it'll stop happening.

knives out
Old 02-04-2006, 12:00 PM   #21
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:

You are quite correct. And ignorance is in this thread. . . and it has nothing to do with the people making fun of the pictures FYI.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 12:03 PM   #22
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:

And you called them monkeys. We're all even in the fight for enlightment now, right?
Old 02-04-2006, 12:07 PM   #23
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch
And you called them monkeys. We're all even in the fight for enlightment now, right?

THIS IS A FOX NEWS UPDATE SPECIFICALLY FOR DUTCH

sovereignstar said they are acting like monkeys. Not that they are monkeys.
Old 02-04-2006, 12:10 PM   #24
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:

Okay, now you're acting like a monkey.
Old 02-04-2006, 12:11 PM   #25
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Hey, hey, now. He's wearing 42 in honor of Jackie Robinson. Anyone can see the similarities:

Robinson endured incredible hardship to break baseball's color barrier. This dude endured several reruns of The Facts of Life and burned the Danish flag.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 12:20 PM   #26
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic
Hey, hey, now. He's wearing 42 in honor of Jackie Robinson. Anyone can see the similarities:

Robinson endured incredible hardship to break baseball's color barrier. This dude endured several reruns of The Facts of Life and burned the Danish flag.

At last a voice of reason, quick more Bic lighters to Syria, and the directors cut collection of "My fair Brady"
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 12:51 PM   #27
biological warrior
High School Varsity

Quote:
That would require reform, and in the middle east, that means war.
Speaking of Reforms: Has the muslim world ver had a reformation and a period of enlightenment akin to that of the catholic church and Europe?
biological warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 12:55 PM   #28
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by biological warrior
Speaking of Reforms: Has the muslim world ver had a reformation and a period of enlightenment akin to that of the catholic church and Europe?

No reformation that I'm aware of, but for a long time the Muslim world WAS the enlightened world. You'd be surprised how much our knowledge of math and science dates to Arabic texts. Their cultures have been in a pretty sad and serious decline for a long time now.

knives out
Old 02-04-2006, 01:09 PM   #29
biological warrior
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin
No reformation that I'm aware of, but for a long time the Muslim world WAS the enlightened world. You'd be surprised how much our knowledge of math and science dates to Arabic texts. Their cultures have been in a pretty sad and serious decline for a long time now.
I knew about math, sciences and the most advance technologies from the trade in greek books during the Middle Ages, but was wondering if there has been a religious reformation during the past 1400 years. I know they had a schism between Sunni and Shiites c. 700 A.D. but nothing else.
biological warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 01:15 PM   #30
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
I knew about math, sciences and the most advance technologies from the trade in greek books during the Middle Ages, but was wondering if there has been a religious reformation during the past 1400 years. I know they had a schism between Sunni and Shiites c. 700 A.D. but nothing else.

I don't think so, although I honestly don't know much about Muslim theology. Even the sunni vs. shiite split wasn't entirely a theological one, but rather a difference of opinion on how to select the caliphate.

knives out
Old 02-04-2006, 01:56 PM   #31
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin
Having only taken a couple very broad history classes on the subject, I read that part of it had to do with the Mongol invasions of the Middle East, in that they had the Caliph of Baghdad (roughly equal to the Catholic Pope in the middle ages) trampled to death by horses for refusing to surrender and most of the region was razed, universities destroyed, and culturally the Arab/Islamic world never really recovered.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 04:12 PM   #32
Drake
assmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW
Thousands of outraged Syrian demonstrators stormed the Danish and Norwegian embassies in Damascus, setting fire to both buildings.

As far as I'm concerned, the only good thing to come out of this whole controversy is the revelation that Americans aren't the only people in the world who can't tell the difference between the Scandinavian countries.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 04:14 PM   #33
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick
Having only taken a couple very broad history classes on the subject, I read that part of it had to do with the Mongol invasions of the Middle East, in that they had the Caliph of Baghdad (roughly equal to the Catholic Pope in the middle ages) trampled to death by horses for refusing to surrender and most of the region was razed, universities destroyed, and culturally the Arab/Islamic world never really recovered.

Those Mongols could have had the world. The world would have been an awfully different place had they not stopped short.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 04:19 PM   #34
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:

Sweet. Now we know where The Foot have been hiding!

Last edited by sabotai : 02-04-2006 at 04:39 PM.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 04:39 PM   #35
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick
they had the Caliph of Baghdad (roughly equal to the Catholic Pope in the middle ages) trampled to death by horses for refusing to surrender
There are variations to this story, but for the most part it's true. But, it was actually a sign of respect from Heluga (general of the army that captured Baghdad). In Mongol culture, it was a sign of disrespect to execute someone and have their blood be seen or touch the ground. In many cases, they would wrap the person to be executed ina burlap sack and then have them killed (for example, be trampled by horses) so that their blood would not bee seen.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 05:32 PM   #36
JW
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake
As far as I'm concerned, the only good thing to come out of this whole controversy is the revelation that Americans aren't the only people in the world who can't tell the difference between the Scandinavian countries.

I have a Norwegian exchange student in one of my classes this semester. She told me recently the thing that most disappoints her about Americans is their lack of knowledge of the world beyond America. For example, she said most don't know that Norway is a country, much less where it is. One person asked her if Norway is part of Sweden.

OTOH she said this is partially understandable since America is so big, and most people never leave the country.

To continue, she also made one most interesting statement, that Americans are arrogant and think they have the best country, but that is understandable "because they do." She remarked that there would be no free Norway without America.

Okay, this is a high school girl. I don't expect her to represent everyone from Norway. But what she said was interesting.

She also thinks our views on sex and nudity and our laws on drinking are quite quaint, lol.
Old 02-04-2006, 05:47 PM   #37
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew
Anyone seen this cartoon yet?

There are several. The one that's been getting the most local radio play is the b&w one in the middle on the following link:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bzkit/s...7594057992683/

But, y'know, it's more blasphemous to draw a likeness of Mohammed than to suggest that neither he nor God/Allah/Yahweh/whatever name you have for Him wouldn't exactly approve of people blowing themselves up to kill innocents, right?
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 05:55 PM   #38
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW
I have a Norwegian exchange student in one of my classes this semester. She told me recently the thing that most disappoints her about Americans is their lack of knowledge of the world beyond America. For example, she said most don't know that Norway is a country, much less where it is. One person asked her if Norway is part of Sweden.

OTOH she said this is partially understandable since America is so big, and most people never leave the country.

To continue, she also made one most interesting statement, that Americans are arrogant and think they have the best country, but that is understandable "because they do." She remarked that there would be no free Norway without America.

Okay, this is a high school girl. I don't expect her to represent everyone from Norway. But what she said was interesting.

She also thinks our views on sex and nudity and our laws on drinking are quite quaint, lol.

I know where Norway is, if Sweden is the WANG of Scandinavia, then Norway and Finland form the crotch!
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 06:12 PM   #39
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Sorry, the first thing I thought of when I saw the title.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 02-04-2006 at 06:14 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 06:17 PM   #40
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca
Those Mongols could have had the world. The world would have been an awfully different place had they not stopped short.

They did have the largest civiliation in history, followed by the British and then the Romans. Don't how Alexander's civ fit in because it never sustained itself.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 06:55 PM   #41
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Nothing like a Reformation, but Islam is very different than Catholicism was in the late Middle Ages. Islam doesn't have a central authority. It's a VERY decentralized religion and no Imam controls over others. Therefore there is no central authority to revolt against and you have to just increase the numbers of liberal Muslim clerics or bring down the states that embrace radical ideologies.
Old 02-04-2006, 07:22 PM   #42
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Um... interesting. Missed this little gem earlier:

Quote:
Arrest warrants were issued Saturday for the editors of the Jordanian papers, according to Jordan's Petra News Agency. Shihan's editor, Jihad Momeni, a former member of the Jordanian Senate, was fired after publishing the cartoons.

Jordan's King Abdullah II said the publication of such images is a "crime that that cannot be justified under freedom of expression," Petra reported.
SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 07:38 PM   #43
Galaril
Pro Starter

To get back to the subject of the embassy burning. I know this is Syria but where the hell are there version of the police or Gestapo. I find it hard to believe they view these images as a showing the world they are arational mind and modern nation. This certainly will not encourage Europeans in general to get warm fuzzies about them.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 07:56 PM   #44
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril
To get back to the subject of the embassy burning. I know this is Syria but where the hell are there version of the police or Gestapo.

Who's to say that they aren't really the ones behind it?
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 08:01 PM   #45
JW
College Prospect

I have no idea where this came from, but I think it is kind of funny. I found it unattributed on another forum. And if it offends you, please, burn my flag if it makes you feel better.

An angry protest in the West Bank over an unflattering cartoon of the prophet Mohammed was extensively delayed today when the angry mob realized they had no idea what the flag of Denmark looked like or where to find one.

Indeed, while flag burnings are as common as random gunfire in the West Bank, this marked the first burning of the Danish Flag, according to Qasim Batkela, a local historian who keeps copious documentation of all flag burnings, and presents a popular slide show each quarter to West Bank residents recapping the top burnings of the past few months.

Batkela realized he had his work cut out for him when he first heard about the cartoon.

“At first, we figured Denmark was a U.S. state,” he explained. “Then we found out it’s actually a country, with a flag and everything. We went down to Faruk’s Flammable Flags, and he had never heard of it. So we burned his evil store, praise be to Allah. Finally, Munsif Babar got through on his internet dial-up, and found the Danish flag. He got so angry at the sight of it that he set fire to his computer before we could print a copy, and we had to burn Munsif and his family as punishment, praise be to Allah. While many things were burning, the day was not going well.”

Finally, according to Batkela, a Danish flag was painted on a piece of cardboard and set afire, satiating the angry crowd.

Batkela watched the burning from afar, taking digital photos and making notes in a dog-eared notebook, and offering broader perspective on West Bank flag burnings.

“Israel and the United States are obviously our most popular, well-attended burnings,” explained Batkela. “We also have weekly burnings of the flag of Barbados because Abdul Shaneen went there for his honeymoon and lost his wallet. After that, strangely enough, we really like to burn the Swiss Flag, because it totally freaks out the Swiss if anyone is angry at them. Have you ever yelled ‘Death to Switzerland?’ Try it. The ironic juxtaposition is rich.”

But today’s flag burning marked a first for Denmark, a small nipple of a country whose major exports are lip-corroding chewing tobacco and Lars Ulrich of Megadeth. The country is best known for their Emmy-Award winning turn as a speed bump in World War II, when they set a record by surrendering to Germany in 3 hours and 12 minutes. After that, Denmark’s history is relatively quiet until Danish actress Brigitte Nielsen’s poignant 1985 portrayal of Ludmilla in Rocky IV. Indeed, the small, wet welfare state is not accustomed to the spotlight, but that all changed today.
Old 02-04-2006, 08:04 PM   #46
ice4277
Pro Rookie

I'm offended by the sexual content of calling Denmark a "small nipple of a country".

You should be ashamed.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 08:22 PM   #47
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
“Israel and the United States are obviously our most popular, well-attended burnings,” explained Batkela. “We also have weekly burnings of the flag of Barbados because Abdul Shaneen went there for his honeymoon and lost his wallet. After that, strangely enough, we really like to burn the Swiss Flag, because it totally freaks out the Swiss if anyone is angry at them."

Nice.
Old 02-04-2006, 08:31 PM   #48
JW
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice4277
I'm offended by the sexual content of calling Denmark a "small nipple of a country".

You should be ashamed.

I really think that if considered as a nipple, Denmark is pretty big.

And, btw, I found the source of the satire, interestingly enough by googling "small nipple of a country" after reading your post. I think that was an inspired choice. I got exactly one hit, and this is it.

http://www.rightwingnews.com/
Old 02-04-2006, 08:39 PM   #49
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:

CNN Update:

Unnecessary Third Person usuage in defense of monkey slander
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 11:35 AM   #50
fantastic flying froggies
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW
...But today’s flag burning marked a first for Denmark, a small nipple of a country whose major exports are lip-corroding chewing tobacco and Lars Ulrich of Megadeth. ....

WRONG! Lars Ulrich is the drummer of Metallica...