Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-26-2003, 10:42 PM   #1
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Going for two

Watching tonight's game and several bowls games over the year has made me very skeptical about going for two unless you're at the end of the game and down by eight. I think teams are too anxious to get the two points when a PAT would be a better choice. Now as it turned out the extra points wouldn't have changed tonight's game, but it could have been 24-34 instead of 21-34. With roughly six minutes left the Raiders would have needed one TD and a FG instead of two TDs. The questionable call on Porter also wouldn't have mattered.

I am one that says always put points on the board. The two point conversion chart is a disaster in my opinion. Get the seven and move on.

Anyway, what are your thoughts?

JPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 10:46 PM   #2
stkelly52
College Benchwarmer

I totally agree. There are times where 2 makes since, but by and large teams should be going for the kick until the final minutes of the game
stkelly52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 10:51 PM   #3
korme
Go Reds

And why in the hell did they keep trying to pass? They should have pounded the ball and given it to Crockett, like they had done all season.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 11:01 PM   #4
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Very rarely do I agree with Madden any more, but he was right. The Raiders panicked way too early. They were down 34-9. Kick the field goal and its still a three possession game. Go for two and it's still a three possession game. Fail and it's a four score game. It didn't make any sense at that point.

At 34-15, it made a little bit more sense, because it gets you with 17, but it's still three scores. If you're down 18, you can still go for two later.

At 34-21, it finally actually made sense, since two brings you within 11. A 12-point deficit doesn't do you much good.

But I thought the failure to convert almost took all the momentum out of the original score. The Raiders kept making plays that looked like they could get back into it, then they flubbed the two-point try and everybody was depressed again.

I don't think you should go for two until the fourth quarter and then only if the chart shows that it's a good call. College has had the two-point play forever and you hardly ever see a two-point conversion outside the fourth quarter, even in situations where it makes sense, such as if you are down 9 after the the score.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote