Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-26-2003, 05:20 PM   #1
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Anyone kinda turned off by "God Bless America" being sung by an Italian national?

I don't know, I just thought that was incredibly stupid. I like Celine Dion, okay (from a distance, being a guy and all ), but couldn't they have found an American singer to sing that?

Chief Rum

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 05:25 PM   #2
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I guess I hadn't even thought about the Italian thing. I thought she was American or at least Canadian.

I disliked it because she sat there and drug it out for hours. It's like the boss at work who sits there and tells a long and boring joke because he knows that no one can leave and no one will not laugh. She made herself the center of attention because she has a captive audience (and is a selfish b*tch). She was no longer the instrument the song flowed through but the center of attention.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 05:36 PM   #3
klayman
College Benchwarmer

she is french canadian...we're not proud of it.
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 07:28 PM   #4
MJ4H
Coordinator

Yeah yeah, but the dixie chicks ruled on the anthem. That was awesome. And i dont like the dixie chicks regular fare. that was just a sweet arrangement.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 07:37 PM   #5
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

They sang quite well and just did a good presentation. So I have to agree with you.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 08:33 PM   #6
mrushh
High School Varsity

On Celine Dion, I like her, as a guy, from a LONG DISTANCE ONLY... She's not that good-looking at all, imho...
Old 01-26-2003, 09:32 PM   #7
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Hated the Celine Dion singing of "God Bless America". I'm not a fan of Mariah Carey, but if you had to get a diva to sing... couldn't she be an American??

The Dixie Chicks did rule, however. I think they officially surpassed the Whitney Houston version of "Star Spangled Banner" from a decade ago.
Old 01-26-2003, 09:50 PM   #8
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

I'm not 1 to get all wrapped up in patriotic expression or songs, but ya, get an american atleast
Old 01-26-2003, 09:51 PM   #9
mrskippy
Banned

Celine Dion lives in Las Vegas and I'd say that makes here just as American as anyone else living in the USA.
mrskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 10:02 PM   #10
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

As a Canadian, you guys are welcome to her if you want.

Didn't she also sing God Bless America on the post-9/11 special that all the networks carried?
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 10:09 PM   #11
DiG
n00b

Could you please take her mother too ? Really...
DiG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 10:23 PM   #12
clintl
College Starter

No. Why does having someone who is not an American suddenly bother you? I don't recall anyone complaining when they had that Irish opera singer sing it during the 2001 World Series.
clintl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 11:13 PM   #13
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

It should be said that Canada is part of America.

And so long as everyone gets the words right, I don't care who they get to sing.
Old 01-26-2003, 11:30 PM   #14
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Bearcat729

That's what Canadians tell themselves.

Neuqua
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 12:41 AM   #15
Rich1033
High School Varsity

Re: Anyone kinda turned off by "God Bless America" being sung by an Italian national?

Quote:
Originally posted by Chief Rum
I don't know, I just thought that was incredibly stupid. I like Celine Dion, okay (from a distance, being a guy and all ), but couldn't they have found an American singer to sing that?

Chief Rum

I was thinking the same thing as I watched it. The fact that she is not my favorite singer could be clouding my opinion. Overall it is really not a big deal, but I was left scratching my head as she started singing "God Bless America".
Rich1033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 03:00 AM   #16
mrskippy
Banned

Again, she lives in the United States. She is a resident of this country. I'm pretty sure she pays taxes. Celine is just as American as anyone else.

She's got a beautiful voice and is my favorite singer.
Old 01-27-2003, 03:14 AM   #17
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Does she always live in the States? My understanding is that she has bounced around a lot, both in and out of this country. And she isn't a naturalized citizen, is she? She does business here, so paying taxes is no big whoop. And she is noted for having a distinctly foreign accent.

None of this really detracts from her skill as a singer. And for all I know, she might actually be ravingly pro-American. But the fact of the matter is that most of her most obvious qualities point to her not actually being an American, and thus raising the issue of her appropriateness to sing that particular song.

I just think we could have found a more distinctly American singer to sing God Bless America to billions of vieweres worldwide.

Of course, if the message is that you can be a national from another country and come to America to make your fortune, or what have you, I guess I have no problem with that. But I doubt many would view Dion's career as coming to America to succeed, so maybe that's not the message that would be conveyed at all.

BTW, yay country music! Dixie Chicks were awesome on the anthem, and even in that funky outfit, Shania Twain was every bit...um...Shania as usual.

Chief Rum

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 03:32 AM   #18
andy m
High School Varsity

i'm turned off just by god bless america.
Old 01-27-2003, 08:08 AM   #19
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

The Super Bowl organizers went international this year. Celine for "God bless America, Your home, sweet home", Canadian Twain and Brit Sting at halftime. They should have dumped No Doubt for German Nena so she could do "99 Luftballons" and got rid of the Dixie Chicks for the Spice Girls or something.
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 08:14 AM   #20
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

No offense to Chief Rum, but the title of the thread suggests we might need more 'Italian nationals' singing at Super Bowls. Americans are constantly chided abroad for their complete ignorance of other nations. The title of this thread is ironic confirmation of the stereotype as Celine is French-Canadian (as has been pointed out).
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 08:24 AM   #21
Schmidty
Coordinator

As soon as I notice that someone is about to sing an anthem of any kind, I change the channel. That practice works out well, because I don't have to watch hacks like Celine Dion sing.

By the way, I love my country, but I don't like mindless acts of patriotism, such as the obligatory singing of the anthem before every sporting event. It just rings hollow.
Old 01-27-2003, 08:24 AM   #22
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
Rum - I am with you.

Andy - Piss off
Old 01-27-2003, 08:53 AM   #23
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

I think we should recosider our alliance with Canada for unleashing that skank on us. We have found a new member of the Axis of Evil and it's right next door. Let's mobilize the troops. "Blame Canada"

Side note: We'll gladly accept Shania though.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 09:04 AM   #24
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

I was wondering the same thing when she was singing, but after the anthem, the commercial they showed was a Celine Dion Chevrolet commercial. So, I'm guessing that her sponsor had a say in her performing.
Old 01-27-2003, 09:16 AM   #25
stkelly52
College Benchwarmer

Why does the USA hold the title "America" while the rest of America (Noth and South America) doesn't. It has always seemed strange to me.
stkelly52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 09:24 AM   #26
korme
Go Reds

Shania Twain looked hot as hell.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 09:46 AM   #27
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

It's a friggin' song.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 09:50 AM   #29
Radii
Head Coach

The dixie chicks did a great job. I loved their rendition of the national anthem. Shania, while always hot, wore way too much considering it was 81 degrees out there

I can't stand Celine Dion, I don't care about having a french canadian singing god bless america or anything like that, I just really dislike her and her singing style.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 09:55 AM   #30
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

see, I think there was far more "musical" issues with the SB than Celine Dion.

Two of the 4 halftime songs were "Man, I feel like a woman" and "Just a girl". Was there a message there?

but I was most annoyed that after the game, you had to sit through a Bon Jovi song before handing out the Lombardi trophy and MVP award. I mean, I have no issue with Bon Jovi (although, I'm getting a bit tired of seeing them perform at EVERY sporting even). But the game's over - I want to get back to my life, but have to watch yet one more song before that can happen.

I kind of miss the old chaotic days of beer and champagne soaked locker rooms...
Old 01-27-2003, 10:18 AM   #31
clintl
College Starter

I'm guessing that all of you complaining about "God Bless America" being sung by a French-Canadian are also aware that it was written by a Russian immigrant.

My only complaints are that it's a terrible song that I'm tired of having pollute major sporting events, and Celine Dion milked it for way, way too long. If they feel the need to have another patriotic song before the national anthem, let's have a good one like "America the Beautiful" or "This Land Is Your Land" instead.

By the way, I thought the musical highlight was Sting singing "Message In A Bottle" with No Doubt.
Old 01-27-2003, 11:01 AM   #32
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally posted by clintl

By the way, I thought the musical highlight was Sting singing "Message In A Bottle" with No Doubt.

I agree. Of course, I didn't even see the begining of the game (was at church, but I do have it on tape), and I watched the "SNL halftime show" (which was funny) instead of the regular halftime show. But I did see the No Doubt/Sting "Message in the Bottle" since it was during the SNL commercial break. That was very good.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 11:35 AM   #33
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
Quote:
Why does the USA hold the title "America" while the rest of America (Noth and South America) doesn't. It has always seemed strange to me.

You go to some parts of the Americas and you will find that they do not like the US monopolizing "America." However, we are the United States of America. "America" is sort of our cultural name and "United States" is a sort of a political declaration. The other countries in the America's have like the Republic of Costa Rica and we call them Costa Ricans.

Why would some people want to strip us of our national identity? Why is so hard to let us be Americans?

Quote:
I'm guessing that all of you complaining about "God Bless America" being sung by a French-Canadian are also aware that it was written by a Russian immigrant.

Perhaps the difference here is that Irving Berlin was a citzen.

(Mr. Berlin once said "a patriotic song is an emotion and you must not embarrass an audience with it, or they will hate your guts." I think a number of us are little embarassed that the NFL could not find one suitible American to sing the song.)

Quote:
My only complaints are that it's a terrible song that I'm tired of having pollute major sporting events,

Why do feel that?

Quote:
If they feel the need to have another patriotic song before the national anthem, let's have a good one like "America the Beautiful" or "This Land Is Your Land" instead.

This land is your land is a protest song. While I love the song I am not so sure that the NFL would want to sponsor its message.
Old 01-27-2003, 11:54 AM   #34
Craptacular
College Starter

I lost all respect for Super Bowl performances (and a lot for Steven Tyler) when they let Britney and her pals sing with Aerosmith. I didn't watch the SB this year.
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 01:22 PM   #35
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by Draft Dodger

but I was most annoyed that after the game, you had to sit through a Bon Jovi song before handing out the Lombardi trophy and MVP award.

That is so accurate! Give the guys their trophy and then play your damn song. The only song they want to hear is We are the champions.
Old 01-27-2003, 01:25 PM   #36
rkmsuf
Head Coach

This thread has to be the ulimate in nitpicking. A tribute to the true boredom level of the actual game.
Old 01-27-2003, 02:15 PM   #37
clintl
College Starter

Quote:
Why do feel that?

I just don't like the song. I think it's sappy and shallow, and musically uninteresting - a far cry from Berlin's best work.

Quote:
This land is your land is a protest song. While I love the song I am not so sure that the NFL would want to sponsor its message.

That was a little subtle mischief on my part, although I think this is another area where we might disagree, Fritz. I believe it is patriotic to dissent and protest if you disagree with your country's policies, and thus, a protest song like "This Land Is Your Land" is almost a perfect patriotic song. "America the Beautiful" would be fine with me, though.

Of course, I could be really mischievious and suggest that next year, they get Penelope Houston to sing "The Amerikan In Me."
Old 01-27-2003, 02:47 PM   #38
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Bearcat729

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally posted by Neuqua
That's what Canadians tell themselves.

Neuqua

LMAO

Last edited by nilodor : 01-27-2003 at 02:50 PM.
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 02:57 PM   #39
astralhaze
College Prospect

Go jingoism!!!
astralhaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 07:42 PM   #40
Anthony
Banned

i think it's very obvious that this is the work of Islamic fundamentalists trying to deinstitutionalize the very fabric of our country, undermining our patriotism by placing bad citizens (when i say bad citizens i mean French-Canadian born people) on a national forum.

Celine Dion does not drive a Chrysler. she doesn't drive period. she can afford to be carted around on the backs of bow-legged Mexican children, and yet i'm to believe she drives an American-made car.

riiiight.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 08:27 PM   #41
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

I thought the best part of the SUperbowl was when they were handing out the trophies, and they got to the bucs owner. I was laughing so hard at him, and taht lady behind him in the yellow jacket. Might have been his wife, but man they could use a nose job.
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 10:25 PM   #42
mrskippy
Banned

Why does everyone bash Celine Dion so much? She's got a beautiful, powerful voice. I'm going to her concert in May.

And I believe she may have permanent residency in the US. She's living the American dream.

BTW ... For the record NONE OF US are American. We're Dutch, Scotch, Irish, German, Mexican, African, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Arabic, Russian, Filipino, whatever.
Old 01-27-2003, 11:11 PM   #43
sabotai
General Manager

Maybe because she's an arrogent bitch?
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 11:32 PM   #44
Easy Mac

And she's but ass ugly with a voice that makes my nails curl.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 11:45 PM   #45
astralhaze
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally posted by mrskippy
BTW ... For the record NONE OF US are American. We're Dutch, Scotch, Irish, German, Mexican, African, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Arabic, Russian, Filipino, whatever.

Wow. That's the first thing you've ever said that I agreed with.
astralhaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 12:56 AM   #46
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by Hell Atlantic

Celine Dion does not drive a Chrysler. she doesn't drive period. she can afford to be carted around on the backs of bow-legged Mexican children, and yet i'm to believe she drives an American-made car.

riiiight.

Funny enough, I remember hearing a story about how her neighbors were getting pissed off cause she would arrive from her show (i think in Vegas) via helicopter every night. Nothing like having a helicopter land in your neighbors lawn at 11 pm every night
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 01:04 AM   #47
mrskippy
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Easy Mac
And she's but ass ugly with a voice that makes my nails curl.

Hmmm... I think she's an attractive woman.

And what is it that nobody likes about her voice?
Old 01-28-2003, 01:41 AM   #48
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
And what is it that nobody likes about her voice?

That it comes out her mouth and is audible...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 02:31 AM   #49
mrskippy
Banned

And name me a good female singer!!!
Old 01-28-2003, 05:37 AM   #50
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Quote:
Originally posted by astralhaze

Quote:

Wow. That's the first thing you've ever said that I agreed with.

This is easily the most idiotic thing you have ever said, and that is saying something.