st.cronin
General Manager

Damn I'm good - I guessed 4.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 09:10 PM   #3
clintl
College Starter

Is that a surprise? Everyone's in love with the Steelers right now.
clintl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 09:12 PM   #4
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

That just seems a bit high

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 09:13 PM   #5
kcchief19
Pro Starter

I was going to say interesting too. I figured Seattle would get more love given the better record and convincing playoff run. So much of line setting is based on trends and obviously what Pittsburgh is trying to do is unprecedented. But I have no doubt the emotional bettors will be on the Steelers, and their defense is hot.

Be interesting to see how this line moves. I think it's definitely bad news for Pittsburgh; Cowher's had too much success getting his team to thrive in the underdog role, and being the favorite has never been a good role for his teams.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 09:14 PM   #6
astrosfan64
College Prospect

Well, I've learned my lesson about underestimating Seattle. We are talking a number 6 seed vs a number 1 seed in the playoffs right?

Don't get me wrong, I think Pittsburgh will win. I'm just surprised the line started off that high.

Pittsburgh will be the only team that Seattle has faced in the playoffs that is complete in terms of offense and defense.
astrosfan64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 09:15 PM   #7
clintl
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice
That just seems a bit high

SI

I agree - but that's because, contrary to what astrosfan has been saying, the Seahawks are actually underrated.
Old 01-22-2006, 09:15 PM   #8
astrosfan64
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintl
I agree - but that's because, contrary to what astrosfan has been saying, the Seahawks are actually underrated.

Yeah, I learned my lesson.
astrosfan64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 09:16 PM   #9
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19
I was going to say interesting too. I figured Seattle would get more love given the better record and convincing playoff run. So much of line setting is based on trends and obviously what Pittsburgh is trying to do is unprecedented. But I have no doubt the emotional bettors will be on the Steelers, and their defense is hot.

Be interesting to see how this line moves. I think it's definitely bad news for Pittsburgh; Cowher's had too much success getting his team to thrive in the underdog role, and being the favorite has never been a good role for his teams.

I think the line is about right, given the (perceived) disparity between the two conferences, the fact that Pittsburgh has gone on the road against 3 good teams and kicked ass, and that Seattle won't have their home field advantage. I think Cowher is the better coach, Roethlisberger the better QB. Seattle's strength is their offensive line, but I don't think Pittsburgh's is any worse. I think the line will be 5 or more by gametime.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 09:18 PM   #10
clintl
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrosfan64
Pittsburgh will be the only team that Seattle has faced in the playoffs that is complete in terms of offense and defense.

Now that's true.
Old 01-22-2006, 10:23 PM   #11
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin
I think the line is about right, given the (perceived) disparity between the two conferences, the fact that Pittsburgh has gone on the road against 3 good teams and kicked ass, and that Seattle won't have their home field advantage. I think Cowher is the better coach, Roethlisberger the better QB. Seattle's strength is their offensive line, but I don't think Pittsburgh's is any worse. I think the line will be 5 or more by gametime.

I'm not so sure about the line moving, I think right now it's a very attractive bet on Seattle, and if anything I think it might move towards -3. We'll see though!
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 10:27 PM   #12
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000
I'm not so sure about the line moving, I think right now it's a very attractive bet on Seattle, and if anything I think it might move towards -3. We'll see though!

I agree. I think people will jump on this bet and it will close up as the game gets closer.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 11:53 PM   #13
Desnudo
Coordinator

Seattle +3.5
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 10:00 AM   #14
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

The line is set based on what people are willing to bet, not on what is really going to happen. It seems like most of you guys understand this, but I don't know that anyone at ESPN seems to get it. Vegas isn't disrespecting Seattle they are setting a line that will allow them to get 50% of the people to bet on each team. Apperently according to Desnudo it has corrected itself to 3.5 now. I personally think Pittsburgh is the popular choice and the line is screwing a little bit, but I also hate Pittsburgh.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 11:51 AM   #15
Daimyo
College Starter

AFC >> NFC this season. I think you could make a pretty reasonable argument that all six AFC playoff teams plus KC and San Diego were as good as or better than the best NFC team this year.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote