Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-26-2003, 10:18 AM   #1
sturmie
Mascot

OT - PureSim v OOTP

ok....w/ 2 new versions of each of these game hitting the scene this spring, i was wondering what people thought of em. i have Season Ticket 2003 (b/c i want the game on CD.....no eLicense crap) -aka OOTP4- and remember hearing about PureSim way back when, but hadn't checked it out until Shaun posted an update about the 2003 version.

so, whatta u guys think? from the screens, PureSim looks really nice and seems to give more a of a "reality" feel to it, but OOTP5 is promising some nice improvements as well - plus, i know the OOTP series and have confidence in it. my only requirement is that i can get the game on CD and/or be able to download it and not have to deal w/ eLicense...the whole FOF2 experience soured me on that.

thanks for the info....sturmie

Last edited by sturmie : 01-26-2003 at 10:20 AM.
sturmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 10:44 AM   #2
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Sadly Puresim is only available via download with e-License and there are no plans to come out with a CD version that I have heard of right now.

So while you're not going to care about this next part from my experince Puresim is a better single player experince while OOTP is a better multiplayer experince (especially because Puresim doesn't even support the feature right now). There is a free demo of Puresim2003 out right now, and Puresim will be released before OOTP and will likely have less bugs "out of the box" because of the subscription model.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 11:16 AM   #3
sabotai
General Manager

Well, the Season Ticket franchise has been cancelled by the publishers (Infogrames?), so you probably won't be getting OOTP on CD either.

And I wouldn't abandon e-license so fast. Digital River was just a nightmare of a company. Viatech is very good and actually has customer service.

Last edited by sabotai : 01-26-2003 at 11:16 AM.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 11:31 AM   #4
couriers

Markus has already announced on the OOTP boards that the new version will also be available on CD Rom via 400 studios. Unless this has changed.
Old 01-26-2003, 11:31 AM   #5
FBPro
College Starter

Yes, I'll agree about Via-Tech. They have helped me out of more than one situation with my licenses, they are fast, helpful and nice.

OOTP5 will be available on CD(from Via-Tech), but it will still require an electronic license of sorts.
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 11:59 AM   #6
sabotai
General Manager

I guess they'll be doing what TDCB did. You get the CD and an order ID when you buy, but it's still an e-license that must be unlicensed and relicensed when you uninstall and reinstall.
Old 01-26-2003, 12:14 PM   #7
FBPro
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by sabotai
I guess they'll be doing what TDCB did. You get the CD and an order ID when you buy, but it's still an e-license that must be unlicensed and relicensed when you uninstall and reinstall.

I believe so, I've not done this myself but it is an option.
Old 01-26-2003, 12:18 PM   #8
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Elicence and Viatech are great. Don't throw away 13$ on nothing.
lynchjm24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 12:39 PM   #9
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

All .400 Studios games will be released on both CD & Download format. However the eLicence will still apply to the CD version, it's basiclly for people who want an actual CD, or people who don't have broadband. There is an extra cost of approx. $13 for a CD, the CD comes with various "bonus" features & the appropriate DirectX files. The CD also has applicable "CD Stomp" art on it.
LETS GO JAYS!!
EHM 2005 DYNASTY: A New Philosophy in Toronto!
Joe Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 12:54 PM   #10
sturmie
Mascot

cd + eLicense? kinda defeats the purpose...oh well, looks like i'm not gonna be gettin a baseball sim this season....i have a real problem w/ eLicensing and even though everyone says how great it is now, i'm from the old school of "i paid for it, i want it on cd"....guess i'll have to append that statement to "i paid for it, i want it on cd and i want to be able to uninstall/reinstall freely without an internet connection".

just my two pennies....i don't think my mind will ever change about eLicensing...i mean, look at FOF2 - if u want to play that game now on a new machine (b/c u junked ur old one that was 3+ years old), u can't.....ridiculous IMO.

sturmie
sturmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 12:59 PM   #11
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Well, the Season Ticket franchise has been cancelled by the publishers (Infogrames?), so you probably won't be getting OOTP on CD either.

And I wouldn't abandon e-license so fast. Digital River was just a nightmare of a company. Viatech is very good and actually has customer service.

Every .400 product from now on will be available on CD, said Kuffrey I believe.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 05:26 PM   #12
QuikSand
lolzcat

Well, if this is supposedly a discussion about the two products (rather than just about people's opinion about e-license), then here's my two cents:

Neither product stands up to much scrutiny as a single-player game. OOTP's AI is embarassingly weak in several critical ways, and (in limited play) I'm finding that the PureSim finaicial engine is a poison pill in that game.

At the moment, I think OOTP is probably better off, but I think with some corrections (which are very possible) PureSim could easily surpass OOTP. PureSIm is supposedly in some sort of extended beta, so I'm hopeful that things get better on that front.

I have little hope for OOTP - I"m convinced that the "toomany cooks" philosophy that prevails over there keeps much real progress from happening. (Though I'd be pleased to be proven wrong)
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 07:23 PM   #13
QuikSand
lolzcat

Well, just today, Shaun Sullivan posted some very encouraging things on his PureSim board - he's apparently starting thinking heavily about the salary structure in his game. That's really good news, I think.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 07:32 AM   #14
Bee
Pro Starter

I downloaded the current Puresim demo and found it a little lacking IMO. The salary issue is a killer right now. Perhaps when it's further along in the process another demo will be released and I'll give it another shot.

OOTP is in my opinion enjoyable to play, but doesn't offer much challege for a single player game. (I have no interest in multiplayer.) I generally have fun playing the game for 2 or 3 seasons, but after that I generally abandon the career because my team is too dominant. I've tried playing with various house rules, but haven't found anything that really balances the game and maintains my enjoyment of the game.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 07:36 AM   #15
cincyreds
High School Varsity

OOTP all the way!
Old 01-27-2003, 07:57 AM   #16
FBPro
College Starter

One thing "for me" that I like OOTP more for is that I can "multi-task" much easier with it than with PS.
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
Old 01-27-2003, 08:09 AM   #17
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally posted by QuikSand
Well, just today, Shaun Sullivan posted some very encouraging things on his PureSim board - he's apparently starting thinking heavily about the salary structure in his game. That's really good news, I think.
"Thinking heavily" has now progressed to "taking action" about the salary structure. This could change everything.
Old 01-27-2003, 08:52 AM   #18
Easy Mac

Yeah, I hated the salary structure, but liked the game far more than OOTP. If only I had a computer that could run it decently.

Anyone know what the highest mhz a socket 7 motherboard goes for? Anything would help me out. Got the memory, just not enough overall power.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 10:34 AM   #19
sabotai
General Manager

AMD K2-6 550 Mhz is the fastest from AMD that goes in a Socket 7 that I can think of off the top of my head.
Old 01-27-2003, 10:35 AM   #20
Easy Mac

Quote:
AMD K2-6 550 Mhz is the fastest from AMD that goes in a Socket 7 that I can think of off the top of my head.

thanks man. Damn, that would only add like 200 mhz. Time to start saving for a somewhat new computer.... or student loans, whatever
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote