Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-13-2006, 12:54 PM   #1
st.cronin
General Manager

Biofuels?

Anybody knowledgable about biofuels?

There's a couple of stations here that sell biofuels. Some days the price is cheaper, some days it's pricier. I have been using biofuels if the price is lower, otherwise just regular unleaded for my Sebring.

I have a couple of questions - should I expect my mileage to be better, the same, or worse? And are the claims that it will increase the lifespan of my engine true?

Just poking around the web it seems like there's a lot of skepticism about the usefulness of biofuels, and the accuracy of their claims.

knives out

st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 12:57 PM   #2
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

They have them in NM eh? That's interesting. Only place I ever knew for sure where they were is Iowa and Minnesota. They sell bio-diesel there.
Old 01-13-2006, 12:59 PM   #3
st.cronin
General Manager

I'm pretty sure I remember seeing them in Wisconsin as well.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 01:01 PM   #4
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Probably. I just know Iowa and Minnesota because they are talked about a lot there, since they are the ones who make a lot of it. (Corn based I think)
Old 01-13-2006, 01:02 PM   #5
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Create your own biofuels after a hearty taco bell session.
Old 01-13-2006, 01:13 PM   #6
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf
Exactly what I was thinking.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 01:15 PM   #7
miked
College Starter

Or you can get one of those things that Dr. Brown had in Back to the Future 2 or whatever. You can just pour some trash in the thingy and get some fuel like that. I think I saw some dude selling them down the street here.
miked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 01:15 PM   #8
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf

Taco Bell is starting to become like Chuck Norris around here...
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 02:56 PM   #9
PilotMan
Head Coach

I think that it would be easier to retrofit all cars so that they could run on corn alcohol or gasoline. It would be something that we could produce in abundance and it is a technology that we already have access to.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 03:10 PM   #10
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin
Anybody knowledgable about biofuels?

There's a couple of stations here that sell biofuels. Some days the price is cheaper, some days it's pricier. I have been using biofuels if the price is lower, otherwise just regular unleaded for my Sebring.

I have a couple of questions - should I expect my mileage to be better, the same, or worse? And are the claims that it will increase the lifespan of my engine true?

Just poking around the web it seems like there's a lot of skepticism about the usefulness of biofuels, and the accuracy of their claims.

A commonly seen biofuel is biodiesel which can be made from oil produced from crops like soy beans or rape seed. The main benefit is that it runs clean versus regular diesel. Properly produced biodiesel is of high quality and is different than pouring a gallon of french fry oil into the tank. Obviously you need a diesel engine to run it.

It's become pretty popular in the Northwest. VW is selling a ton of diesels in the Seattle area.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 03:49 PM   #11
Coder
College Prospect

My new Volvo S40 runs on Etanol (E85) or regular unleaded gasoline.. using Etanol, it actually consumes more fuel per mile than regular gasoline, but since the gas is heavily taxed here in Sweden, I still come out ahead.. Consumption is about 30% higher with E85 than with regular gasoline.

Another popular biofuel here is "gas".. hmm.. don't know what the translation is but these cars require two tanks, one for the gas and one for the gasoline (you can run both), while my car can mix any mix of E85 and regular gasoline.

Not sure if that's what you mean by biofuels but anyway.

~ I am an idiot, walking a tight rope of fortunate things ~
Coder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 03:17 AM   #12
3ric
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coder
Another popular biofuel here is "gas".. hmm.. don't know what the translation is but these cars require two tanks, one for the gas and one for the gasoline (you can run both), while my car can mix any mix of E85 and regular gasoline.
Could be that is what's called "wood gas" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biofuel
Old 01-14-2006, 03:29 PM   #13
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

A couple of years ago when my wife was in journalism school at Mizzou, one of their projects was putting together an ad campaign for BioDiesel. I seem to remember her being pretty impressed with the stats on it.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote