Old 01-13-2006, 10:10 AM   #3
ice4277
Pro Rookie

I may lose my job!
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 10:11 AM   #4
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Not today. But I ran over a dog on Tuesday. Today is just getting started though, maybe I can run another one over.
Old 01-13-2006, 10:12 AM   #5
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer
Not today. But I ran over a dog on Tuesday. Today is just getting started though, maybe I can run another one over.

Always the optimist
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 10:29 AM   #6
Radii
Head Coach

I accidentally deleted a signifigant portion of our CVS repository yesterday. recovered it but we lost some work. I expect to dread every moment and conversation at the office for a number of days. I certainly feel like total shit today here.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 10:33 AM   #7
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Ouch.

Nothing going on at work today, everyone's in 3-day weekend mode. We had some big things scheduled to do today, but the manager rescheduled them to yesterday after looking at the calendar. hmmmmmm

My car's been acting flakey lately, maybe today is the day it goes.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 10:43 AM   #8
Super Ugly
High School JV

My birthday.
Super Ugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 10:45 AM   #9
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

not to me personally, but our youngest has come down with chicken pox only a couple of days before his second birthday

He was feverish last night, making for a rough night of wanting to be on daddy and not in his bed...

Although I've had chicken pox when I was a kiddo, seeing him all covered in red blisters has been making me all itchy for a few days now...

FM
Old 01-13-2006, 10:46 AM   #10
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Does fighting viciously with my wife (again) about finding a new house count?
I don't think Friday the 13th deserves the blame for that, but it definitely ain't a good thing.
Old 01-13-2006, 10:48 AM   #11
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan
not to me personally, but our youngest has come down with chicken pox only a couple of days before his second birthday

He was feverish last night, making for a rough night of wanting to be on daddy and not in his bed...

Although I've had chicken pox when I was a kiddo, seeing him all covered in red blisters has been making me all itchy for a few days now...

FM

Oh man, I am driving my kid up to Canada now. She needs them. We don't vaccinate. Set some extra platers for dinner.

edit: vaccinate spelled wrong

Last edited by Cringer : 01-13-2006 at 10:50 AM.
Cringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 10:49 AM   #12
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
Does fighting viciously with my wife (again) about finding a new house count?
I don't think Friday the 13th deserves the blame for that, but it definitely ain't a good thing.

Sorry to hear that. I think that buying a house is one of the most stressful things for couple. I'm sure it is going to cause some tension between myself and Mrs. Eaglesfan as we have some what different ideas for what is important in our ideal house.
Old 01-13-2006, 10:50 AM   #13
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Oh man, I am driving my kid up to Canada now. She needs them. We don't vacinate. Set some extra platers for dinner.

I rarely offer unsolicited advice, but you are aware of the MANY dangers of not vaccinating, right?

You are also aware that vaccinations do NOT cause Autism or Bipolar or the other things that have been attributed to them, and there is a vast amount of studies particularly on the vaccinations leading to Autism which all discredit the idea of vaccinations causing Autism.
Old 01-13-2006, 10:55 AM   #14
bbor
Pro Starter

I had to poo 3 minutes after i got out of the shower.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 10:57 AM   #15
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
I rarely offer unsolicited advice, but you are aware of the MANY dangers of not vaccinating, right?

doc, are you talking about the varicella vaccine in particular or for all the vaccines? I mean, we get our kids vacinated, we only didn't have him vaccinated against chickenpox, and I honestly don't know the reason why.

Andrew had been vaccinated against it and it has proven very effective...

FM
Old 01-13-2006, 10:57 AM   #16
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

I'm taking longabout 40 kids from Tucker High School to a camp in the mountains, leaving this afternoon. Last year, by the end of the first night, I was confronting three guys who chose to bring and consume alcohol, and making the tough decision to send them home.

Bottom line: who KNOWS what could happen before today is over?

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 01-13-2006 at 10:57 AM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 10:57 AM   #17
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor
I had to poo 3 minutes after i got out of the shower.

keep working on it, you're getting closer and closer to actually pooping IN the shower

FM
Old 01-13-2006, 11:01 AM   #18
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
doc, are you talking about the varicella vaccine in particular or for all the vaccines? I mean, we get our kids vacinated, we only didn't have him vaccinated against chickenpox, and I honestly don't know the reason why.

Andrew had been vaccinated against it and it has proven very effective...

FM
I was assuming (perhaps wrongly) that he was talking about not giving his kid any vaccinations. Measles, Mumps, Rubella among other diseases can all be very dangerous with a wide variety of potential complications, even fatal in some cases. Heck, Chicken Pox can be fatal particularly in young kids or elderly people. However, there is a lot of data about the issue of vaccinating vs non-vaccinating (i.e. no vaccines of any sort) and the data is overwhelmingly in favor of vaccinations.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 01-13-2006 at 11:05 AM.
Old 01-13-2006, 11:04 AM   #19
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

As far as the specifics of vaccination about Varicella, docs generally only push hard for it for very young kids or elderly people who have never had a Varicella infection. If Andrew is younger (I forget which tyke is older) that would explain the logic.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 01-13-2006 at 11:05 AM.
Old 01-13-2006, 11:09 AM   #20
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
As far as the specifics of vaccination about Varicella, docs generally only push hard for it for very young kids or elderly people who have never had a Varicella infection. If Andrew is younger (I forget which tyke is older) that would explain the logic.

Andrew is our 9 year old and it was in a kind of different setting as we were living in the States at the time. As I said, I don't really know, or remember, why we had it given to Andrew at the time and not to Matthew (who turns 2 on Sunday) right now. Maybe the pedatrician we had at the time was big on it and convinced us but I do remember that when we talked about Matthew's 12 months vaccines, he was sick with a whole episode of diarrhea (that you may remember, or not ) and we actually had to postpone his vaccines of the time a couple of times until he got better so that may be the reason why we sorta decided not to have him get it...

FM
Old 01-13-2006, 11:11 AM   #21
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Andrew is our 9 year old and it was in a kind of different setting as we were living in the States at the time. As I said, I don't really know, or remember, why we had it given to Andrew at the time and not to Matthew (who turns 2 on Sunday) right now. Maybe the pedatrician we had at the time was big on it and convinced us but I do remember that when we talked about Matthew's 12 months vaccines, he was sick with a whole episode of diarrhea (that you may remember, or not ) and we actually had to postpone his vaccines of the time a couple of times until he got better so that may be the reason why we sorta decided not to have him get it...

FM

I do remember the episode of diarrhea. That is the likely reason he wasn't vaccinated. Docs almost never vaccinate if the kiddo is sick.
Old 01-13-2006, 11:12 AM   #22
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
I do remember the episode of diarrhea. That is the likely reason he wasn't vaccinated. Docs almost never vaccinate if the kiddo is sick.

yeah, makes more sense now. As I said, we had him get the major vaccines, but we postponed them maybe 3 to 4 weeks (maybe twice two weeks or something like that)...

FM
Old 01-13-2006, 11:20 AM   #23
vex
Grizzled Veteran

I had to go to work.
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 11:20 AM   #24
Icy
Pro Starter

The extra-terrestrial forward i just signed in Hattrick for $3.7M had a big drop in his form today and i'm not sure if i will be able to play him in my next game... this life sucks.
Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 11:24 AM   #25
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Just came from a staff meeting notifying us we are working MANDATORY OT for the next 2 months! Does that cut it as bad?

By the way, I work in tax, but not a public firm... so yes it's our busy season, but it had much more to do with inefficiency/inabilty of a portion of the work staff than it does with everyone being swamped.

So every Saturday though the end of Feb (minimum) I'll be here...
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 11:31 AM   #26
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

You are also aware that vaccinations do NOT cause Autism or Bipolar or the other things that have been attributed to them, and there is a vast amount of studies particularly on the vaccinations leading to Autism which all discredit the idea of vaccinations causing Autism.

I understand what the arguement for immunizations is, we chose to go a different direction. We have done this in a few areas when it comes to medications and such, doctors don't like us because we don't always do what they say.
Old 01-13-2006, 11:32 AM   #27
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

My car got stolen a couple nights ago. Does that count?
Old 01-13-2006, 11:40 AM   #28
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I understand what the arguement for immunizations is, we chose to go a different direction. We have done this in a few areas when it comes to medications and such, doctors don't like us because we don't always do what they say.

Sorry for the unsolicited outburst, it is just a hot topic for me (and was the subject of my first medical paper that was successfully published a few months ago - a literature review of the lack of correlation or causation between MMR vaccinations and Autism.)

BTW, I still like you and Loren

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 01-13-2006 at 11:47 AM.
Old 01-13-2006, 11:41 AM   #29
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Sorry to hear that. I think that buying a house is one of the most stressful things for couple. I'm sure it is going to cause some tension between myself and Mrs. Eaglesfan as we have some what different ideas for what is important in our ideal house.

Just for added comfort for ya ... the house we currently live in played a major role in at least two divorces (previous owners 1 & 2), maybe three (not sure about the owners thrice removed). I cannot begin to count how many marriages I've seen break up or at least very troubled by the process of renovation/ restoration. I'm getting the feeling that buying one period isn't a whole lot easier.
Old 01-13-2006, 11:44 AM   #30
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Vogel
Just came from a staff meeting notifying us we are working MANDATORY OT for the next 2 months! Does that cut it as bad?

By the way, I work in tax, but not a public firm... so yes it's our busy season, but it had much more to do with inefficiency/inabilty of a portion of the work staff than it does with everyone being swamped.

So every Saturday though the end of Feb (minimum) I'll be here...

Are you paid by the hour or the week? If paid by the week and you're not getting paid for the Saturdays, then ya, that it bad. If you're getting paid for the OT, no reason to complain. Yeah, may suck to work a bit more, but at least you're compensated for it...

FM
Old 01-13-2006, 11:45 AM   #31
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
Just for added comfort for ya ... the house we currently live in played a major role in at least two divorces (previous owners 1 & 2), maybe three (not sure about the owners thrice removed). I cannot begin to count how many marriages I've seen break up or at least very troubled by the process of renovation/ restoration. I'm getting the feeling that buying one period isn't a whole lot easier.

Wonderful news

We had a significant argument the other night about how the kitchen must be a certain style and have a certain type of layout. We are still about 3 months away from actually going to look at places...
Old 01-13-2006, 11:47 AM   #32
st.cronin
General Manager

I canceled one of my credit cards, and then cut up the one I didn't cancel. Didn't figure out my error until I got to the gas station.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 11:50 AM   #33
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Sorry for the unsolicited outburst, it is just a hot topic for me (and was the subject of my first medical paper that was successfully published a few months ago - a literature review of the lack of correlation or causation between MMR vaccinations and Autism.)

BTW, I still like you and Loren

No worries here, I understand (and even more so now with the info about your paper on the topic). And so you know, I love doctors when I get kidney stones, they hold the key to the drugs I am willing to blindly take. Pain killers.
Old 01-13-2006, 11:51 AM   #34
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Are you paid by the hour or the week? If paid by the week and you're not getting paid for the Saturdays, then ya, that it bad. If you're getting paid for the OT, no reason to complain. Yeah, may suck to work a bit more, but at least you're compensated for it...

FM

Straight salary. "Potential" bonus down the line...if the pool of $$ is approved by upper mgmt. Of the last 3 years, bonuses were given 2 years, not the other year. But in those years, it was not mandatory. People, imagine this, acted like adults, and worked the hours they needed to complete their responsibilities.
Old 01-13-2006, 11:54 AM   #35
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Wonderful news

We had a significant argument the other night about how the kitchen must be a certain style and have a certain type of layout. We are still about 3 months away from actually going to look at places...

wow, you will have to make compromise on some things, you know that

We got our house built about 5 years ago and I gotta say, it went quite well. I did relinquish some fo the kitchen decision although I was the one who came up with the layout of it

Good luck to you two, doc and JIMGA...

FM
Old 01-13-2006, 11:56 AM   #36
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Quote:
Not to pry, but I'm curious why you would do that. Bad experience? Cost? Scientology?

(none of my business, o' course)
Old 01-13-2006, 11:57 AM   #37
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
wow, you will have to make compromise on some things, you know that

We got our house built about 5 years ago and I gotta say, it went quite well. I did relinquish some fo the kitchen decision although I was the one who came up with the layout of it

Good luck to you two, doc and JIMGA...

FM

I'm willing to let her have the kitchen any way she wants it.

I just don't want the lack of a "perfect" kitchen to stop us from buying an otherwise "perfect" house. As I've told her, we'll have the money within 12-16 months after buying the house to remodel the kitchen however she wants it to be. Of course, if we were building from scratch this wouldn't be an issue, but in the post-Katrina world, building in Louisiana became a more difficult prospect..

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 01-13-2006 at 11:58 AM.
Old 01-13-2006, 11:59 AM   #38
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Vogel
Straight salary. "Potential" bonus down the line...if the pool of $$ is approved by upper mgmt. Of the last 3 years, bonuses were given 2 years, not the other year. But in those years, it was not mandatory. People, imagine this, acted like adults, and worked the hours they needed to complete their responsibilities.

yeah, then it's not very good. Seem "badder" when you're being told it is mandatory. I worked for some years as a supervisor, on salary, supposedly paid for 40 hour weeks while doing 60. Not complaining, I know plenty of people work that way, just saying that nobody ever forced me to do it. I wouldn't have taken it kindly if somebody had come to tell me that I HAD TO work 60 hours... I now work 37.5 hours a week and get paid for overtime hours

FM
Old 01-13-2006, 11:59 AM   #39
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
We had a significant argument the other night about how the kitchen must be a certain style and have a certain type of layout.

Quick story from 12 years back ... before we moved in, we had about 6 months work of work done to the house (it wasn't in the best of shape when we bought). Occasionally I would be down here when the collection of contractors & subs were working, I pretty much did my thing & let them do there's. Anyway, I'm on the phone with my wife & we get into a hellacious knockdown dragout screaming fight about the right way to orient some things in the bathroom, one of those arguments that ends with both sides basically hanging up on the other at the same time.

In a dark & foul mood I wander toward the kitchen & run into a pack of contractors all wearing major league smirks. Fuming, I grumble something about "what's so funny". Their reply is some of the most valuable insight I've gotten since saying "I do".

"Well, we sort of couldn't help but overhear your ... conversation. And we figured out that, between all of us, we have something like 280 years of experience working on houses. And in all that time, none of us have ever seen a man win a single one of those arguments like you just had and, well ... we were just wondering why you thought you were going to be the first."

Hard to argue with 280 years of experience
Old 01-13-2006, 12:01 PM   #40
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vexroid
I had to go to work.

I had to wake up.

Goddammit.
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 12:03 PM   #41
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
I'm willing to let her have the kitchen any way she wants it.

I just don't want the lack of a "perfect" kitchen to stop us from buying an otherwise "perfect" house. As I've told her, we'll have the money within 12-16 months after buying the house to remodel the kitchen however she wants it to be. Of course, if we were building from scratch this wouldn't be an issue, but in the post-Katrina world, building in Louisiana became a more difficult prospect..

yeah, I see how "building a house you like" is different from "finding a house you like" now... Other than restraining her in some budget aspect of what she could pick in the house, we were able to do about whatever we wanted with the floor layout, which is obviously not the case when you try to buy among what is available on the market...

FM
Old 01-13-2006, 12:03 PM   #42
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonzie
I had to wake up.

Goddammit.
On the bright side, I'm guessing you'll be back asleep in less than 12 hours.
Old 01-13-2006, 12:06 PM   #43
duckman
Pro Starter

My ex-wife called me this morning. Does that count as bad?
“One of the consequences of such notions as "entitlements" is that people who have contributed nothing to society feel that society owes them something, apparently just for being nice enough to grace us with their presence.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexis de Tocqueville
“Democracy and socialism have nothing in common but one word, equality. But notice the difference: while democracy seeks equality in liberty, socialism seeks equality in restraint and servitude.”
duckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 12:08 PM   #44
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
yeah, then it's not very good. Seem "badder" when you're being told it is mandatory. I worked for some years as a supervisor, on salary, supposedly paid for 40 hour weeks while doing 60. Not complaining, I know plenty of people work that way, just saying that nobody ever forced me to do it. I wouldn't have taken it kindly if somebody had come to tell me that I HAD TO work 60 hours... I now work 37.5 hours a week and get paid for overtime hours

FM

I am 37.5 now as well. I know what I do is not rocket science, but I am one of the best at what I do. When I can get my work, and some of the work of others in my group, take on special projects, plus leave time for things like FOFC, all in 37.5 hours...doesn't that make me MORE valuable then the jerk two groups over who can't cut it in 50 hours?

What makes it worse it the lack of spine but any mgmt. The original wording was in an email said 'I do not want to require mandatory OT.' then further into the message 'Calling in sick will be treated as a regular occurrence, just like M-F'. OK, so then it is mandatory. At least have the guts as a manager to say that to us!!

In another show of ball-lessness (real word?) in the meeting it was said " we don't believe this will be a full 7.5 hour day (Saturdays)...although 6 hours was contemplated." That's it. So, what is it???!! Can I leave after 1 hour if I feel I've done enough?

So I asked...and in a roundabout way got told about my attitude...but still don't know the answer to the amount of hours!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-13-2006, 12:13 PM   #45
vtbub
College Starter

I'm coming down with a cold, I think.

vtbub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 12:24 PM   #46
Zippo
High School JV

it's raining.
Zippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 12:25 PM   #47
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSUCougar
Not to pry, but I'm curious why you would do that. Bad experience? Cost? Scientology?

(none of my business, o' course)

Scientology made me laugh.

We don't follow anything specific like that. We have our own twisted ways I guess. Vegetarians for the most part, avoid dairy and products with dairy in them for the most part. (I say 'for the most part' because we are not as strict as much as we used to be) When it comes to this stuff (doctors/medications) I guess it would mostly be rooted in bad experiences, and distrust from such experiences.
Old 01-13-2006, 12:27 PM   #48
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonzie
I had to wake up.

Goddammit.

I haven't been to sleep.
Old 01-13-2006, 12:38 PM   #49
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Ugly
My birthday.
Well, happy birthday

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 12:41 PM   #50
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

FM
Like you said later in the thread, no matter how much you get paid, mandatory OT does suck. I don't get the attitude of people who are like "well, at least you get paid" like that makes up for the hours you can't spend doing what you want. Yes, if you get paid for OT, it's much better than if you're salary, true, but it doesn't make up for it. If you know what you're getting into, mandatory OT can be acceptable as part of the job, that's very true. But getting 10 or 20 extra hours of OT, out of the blue, even if you're paid time and a half, tends to suck.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote