Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-25-2003, 07:43 PM   #1
QuikSand
lolzcat

OT - Ordering pizza

Was just at some friends' home, and they ordered pizza for the group. My teeth clenched, I was once again made aware that there are two kinds of people in the world:

1) Those who call up a pizza place and start telling them what they want, and wait to be told the price; and

2) Those who call up a pizza place and ask "what are your specials?" (knowing that the real menu prices are for total suckers)

All I know is that the dingy caller had us all chipping in much too much cash to eat, all because she was in group #1 and not group #2. We ended up paying over $40 for four meduim-sized pizzas, and not even getting the supposed free add-on "cinni-pie." Rats.

QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2003, 08:03 PM   #2
SackAttack
Head Coach

Make her pay a double share!
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2003, 08:09 PM   #3
McSweeny
College Starter

huh... i never wait to hear the prices, pizza pretty much costs the same no matter where ya go
McSweeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2003, 08:20 PM   #4
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Duly noted. I'll remember this for tomorrow's Super Bowl party.
Old 01-25-2003, 08:26 PM   #5
SackAttack
Head Coach

Dammit, QS, now you've gone and made me hungry. Are you gonna pay for a share of my pizza?
Old 01-25-2003, 08:40 PM   #6
Chuck
n00b

CinnaPie......Papa John's?
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2003, 08:44 PM   #7
daedalus
Pro Rookie

I never had Papa John's. Is they any good?
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2003, 08:49 PM   #8
SackAttack
Head Coach

Papa John's is okay, but I don't much like how every pizza I've ever gotten from them has been limp, fairly greasy, and prone to topping-loss.

My favorite is still a toss-up (whee, I made a funnny!) between Shakespeare's in Columbia, MO, and Vincenzo's locally. One slice of pizza at Vincenzo's will feed a man for a week.
Old 01-25-2003, 08:59 PM   #9
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally posted by Chuck
CinnaPie......Papa John's?

Yes... I've still never had their tasty treat, thanks to this pinhead.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2003, 09:25 PM   #10
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
In my circle of friends we sort of take turns buying. That takes care of the who pays what issue.
Old 01-25-2003, 10:36 PM   #11
Kam
H.S. Freshman Team

Ordering online is also quite nice. You get to see the prices, use coupons for specials, and make sure that you get what you want on the pizzas.

Pizza Hut has a great online ordering system, sends you a confirmation email and even gives you a counter on the screen marking the time the order was received and approximately (so far right with about 5 minutes each time) when it will be delivered
Kam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 12:54 AM   #12
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Nancy's in Chicago is my favorite, although just about any pizza place in Chi-Town is good. I'm more of a thin crust guy. We only have Pizza Hut, Mr. D's, and Imo's here in Troy.

I want some Dominos Dots!!

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 01:22 AM   #13
Rich1033
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally posted by MizzouRah
I want some Dominos Dots!!
I hear that! Everytime I see that commercial my mouth waters. There are a Marcos and Pizza Hut by my house, but the Dominos is over 30 minutes away. If I am lazy enough to order pizza, then Im way too lazy to drive that far.

However, I did have the other cinni thingys that Dominos used to give away free. They melted in my mouth
Rich1033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 09:52 AM   #14
Chuck
n00b

Talking

Since I work at Papa John's, I am biased. I was just curious how the new dessertstick tasted in the consumers opinion.

Last edited by Chuck : 01-26-2003 at 09:53 AM.
Old 01-26-2003, 11:49 AM   #15
Jets80
High School Varsity

PIzza places need to stick to making pizza and stop making all these dessertsticks and chicken tenders and crap.They think that we the cust needs to have wings as an appetizer then pizza and then dessert throw in a 2 liter drink and your spend like $750 plus tip.

I order the large 1 topping special from where ever I order, pizza hut, Dominos , Pappa Johns.
Jets80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 11:57 AM   #16
sabotai
General Manager

Specials? You mean some places actually make offer specials that are worth buying?

I never ask for the speicals because they are never what I want. "Yeah, you can get 2 small pizzas and a liter of soda." 2 small pizzas? Thats like 3 slices a pie. Stupid offers.

No offense QS, but I find it annoying how some people pinch pennies trying to find every single deal they can get and in the end they end up getting something cheaper, but not as good or not what everyone wants. I may be poor, but I have standards.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 12:08 PM   #17
Chuck
n00b

Unfortunately, people are ordering for the family now, and demand more than just pizza. Papa John's only sold pizza until a year ago. Consumer research shows that, for delivery, they want more of a choice.

That's why you are seeing KFC co-branded with Taco Bell. Unfortunately, it's the new way.
Old 01-26-2003, 12:43 PM   #18
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

They are talking about throwing a combo Pizza Hut/Taco Bell/KFC here in Cincy.

I work for Pizza Hut and I think every so often we have a good special or two.
Old 01-26-2003, 12:45 PM   #19
Chuck
n00b

Have you heard about co-branding with Backyard Burgers?
Old 01-26-2003, 01:20 PM   #20
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

Pizza is Pizza no matter what the price is .....It all looks the same when you excrete it .
Old 01-26-2003, 01:27 PM   #21
sabotai
General Manager

KFC, Pizza Hut and Taco Bell are being comboed together because they're owned by the same company. They want to make a (single) place where people go to find an alternative to fast food burger and fires.

Also, it makes sense from a "group" mentality. Some peopel want one thing and others want something else. Well, instead of having three seperate locations, each with their own competitors, you throw them all into one place so that groups will automatically go there and decide.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 02:04 PM   #22
Craptacular
College Starter

I like pizza places that offer other food. Well, maybe that's because I don't eat pizza.
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 02:14 PM   #23
Tasan
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Chuck
Since I work at Papa John's, I am biased. I was just curious how the new dessertstick tasted in the consumers opinion.

They need to be much bigger. In the commercial, they look like a pizza, but when it gets to you, its a little smaller than a personal pan pizza. Make it at least a SMALL!!!
Old 01-26-2003, 03:08 PM   #24
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Heres a tip to create your own special, although most people probably wouldn't want to do it. Also, let me state that we do not do this in order to get free pizza, just works out that way sometimes. BECAUSE we are vegetarians/partial vegans we will sometimes order pizza w/o cheese....yes i said no cheese. It is actually very good from places like pizza hut/ papa johns/ and others, just get some mushrooms, onions, the sauce of course and whatever else we want. We usually get 2 pizza's...1 w/ cheese and 1 w/o. When our pizza comes often both have cheese because it's hard for them to comprehend a no cheese pizza i guess....so we tell them it is wrong, they make a new 1 the right way, and let us keep the mistake 1 for free....
Old 01-26-2003, 03:51 PM   #25
Jets80
High School Varsity

You ever see these half-breads that work at KFC and Taco Bell. they have enough trouble making and counting change for 1 kind of place, now they are going to combine the stores into one. That should be interesting.
Jets80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 09:22 PM   #26
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by SackAttack
My favorite is still a toss-up (whee, I made a funnny!) between Shakespeare's in Columbia, MO, and Vincenzo's locally. One slice of pizza at Vincenzo's will feed a man for a week.

Shakespeare's is classic.

I'm pretty sure they don't have it in Columbia any more, but back in the day there was a place called Wise Guy's which I believe was a delivery-only operation. The upshot was that they sold these huge pizzas at ridiculously low prices -- you could get the giant pizza with everything for about 8 bucks, and it would easily feed three or four people, more if you just ordered as a late night snack. The pizza wasn't bad -- it was a lot better than Pizza Slut, IMHO.

The funny thing was that among the cost-cutting measures they employed was that all of their delivery drivers were foreign, mostly Asian for whatever reason. If you ordered in the dorm, they would come into the lobby and call your room. When you answered, they always said in very broken English: "Wise Guy's. You order pizza?" For reasons that can't be explained, that became a huge catch phrase on campus.

As for the topic of coupons/specials, anyone who pays full price for a pizza is a sucker. It's like paying sticker price on a new car.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 11:57 PM   #27
sooner333
College Starter

I like Hideaway and Pizza Shuttle. Hideaway is in OKC, Tulsa, Stillwater, and Norman.

I'm not sure how far Pizza Shuttle reaches, but I think it's a Norman-only kind of place. Best part about dine-in there is the 24-cent drinks. Pizza is good too. Bad part about delivery, is they are in the stone-age and have delivery fees.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 12:21 AM   #28
Rich1033
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally posted by Bearcat729
They are talking about throwing a combo Pizza Hut/Taco Bell/KFC here in Cincy.
When driving somewhere around Fremont, Ohio I saw a combo Pizza Hut/Taco Bell. I thought it was very strange.

However, I do like Pizza shops with a bigger selection of food. Marcos Pizza has great subs, and a place named Pizza Brothers in Port Clinton, Ohio has a great menu.

Last edited by Rich1033 : 01-27-2003 at 12:23 AM.
Rich1033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 01:01 AM   #29
TLK
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich1033
When driving somewhere around Fremont, Ohio I saw a combo Pizza Hut/Taco Bell. I thought it was very strange.

However, I do like Pizza shops with a bigger selection of food. Marcos Pizza has great subs, and a place named Pizza Brothers in Port Clinton, Ohio has a great menu.

Yeah, it's on US-20 across from Wal-Mart, about a mile or so from my house.

TLK
TLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 02:03 AM   #30
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Jets80
You ever see these half-breads that work at KFC and Taco Bell.

There's just something inherently amusing about insults to the intelligence of those "half-breads".

Last edited by daedalus : 01-27-2003 at 02:04 AM.
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 03:38 AM   #31
Vince
Pro Starter

I can't let a good pizza discussion go on without defending the best pizza west of Chicago, Woodstock's Pizza of Isla Vista.

But SWMBO is calling, so I must be off. Goodnight all!

PS - No cheese Pizza is a much more common order than you'd think...it changes the whole makeup of the pizza, let me tell you. Since I've been working (and living off of the free food) at a pizza place for over a year now, eating pizza basically every day, I've started to get creative. Spreading refried beans instead of sauce, using no cheese, using a combination of buffalo wing sauce and ranch dressing as the pizza sauce...you name it, I've done it. Makes for some good food
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.

Last edited by Vince : 01-27-2003 at 03:41 AM.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 10:19 AM   #32
bryce
High School Varsity

yea, the tricon trio (pie hut/taco hell/kfc) are all over the metroplex. the most unstable things about them, though, are the combos that feature like 3 chicken strips, 2 tacos, and a slice of pie.

i don't even order pies anymore. none of the chains make a decent one, and i can't find a good, local, hole-in-the-wall one around my pad, either.

i also have issues with each of the majors:

-paja john's puts the toppings under the cheese, undoubtedly so they can skimp on them without the customer knowing
-dominos has horrible customer service and by far the most non-english speaking phone reps of the bunch (if you actually get what you order for your coupon price, it's a friggin miracle, and when it's wrong, they don't care and don't offer to fix the problem...)
-gatti's charges 2 bones for delivery
-pie hut is just bad pie. bad sauce makes for a bad pie.
-pie inn is actually pretty decent, and if i am forced to order pies when the crew is over, i go with pie inn.

oh, and one trick i've found useful at some joints when i used to order pies on a regular basis: you can claim to have a coupon that doesn't even exist (just make up the terms that seem reasonble - ie, 1 topping large for $7.99), and if you are persistent enough, they accept it as long as you present it upon delivery, but the driver never asks for it. this also works with expired coupons.

Last edited by bryce : 01-27-2003 at 10:22 AM.
bryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 10:29 AM   #33
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Here in Florida, we have a combo restaurant, under the name Miami Subs Plus, which has Miami Subs, Nathan's Hotdogs, Kenny Rogers Roaster, and Arthur Treacher's Fish & Chips.

Also, I think it is great that the pizza places have added other food to their menus. Just last night, for the Super Bowl, we ordered pizza and 2 orders of wings from Pizza Hut. Since I'm on Atkins, I had the wings, and my wife and daughter had pizza. Worked out great.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 10:47 AM   #34
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich1033

Yeah, but the Taco Bell/Pizza Huts only sell a few personal pan pizzas and bread sticks.

So it's not really a Pizza Hut, but it's probably nice for people with young kids who don't like Taco Bell