Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-01-2006, 11:39 AM   #1
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Question [Book] Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell

Has anybody here read this book?

It's driving me bonkers. It seems like there really wants to be a story here, but I'm on page 258 and the book has so far felt completely disjointed. Now, this book got all kinds of accolades and was named Time Magazine's #1 book of the year and the Book Sense Book of the Year, but at this point, about 1/3 of the way in, I can't see why.

To add to my frustration with the lack of anything *really* going on so far (I mean, things have happened, but not enough to take up 258 pages), the author's use of footnotes is asinine. She feels a need to tell a story that's not really 100% related to the story, so she footnotes it. There is one footnote here that starts on page 258. It takes up about 1/2 the page, in signifcantly smaller text than the main story. It continues on page 259, taking up about 7/8 of the page in the small font, and likewise on pages 260 and 261. Finally, on page 262, it comes to an end, still taking up better than 1/2 the page with the side-story, all in small font.

So, if anybody has read this book, can you please tell me if there's a light at the end of this tunnel? I'm ready to put it down, but with so much praise for the book, I'm assuming that I'm just not high-brow enough to read it or something, or that I'm missing something.

Can anybody give me a reason not to abandon hope on it?

/tk

terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 12:01 PM   #2
flounder
High School Varsity

The story definitely starts to come together more once you get into the Jonathan Strange part of the book. My wife read it and had the same question. After I told her to stick with it, she finished it and liked it.
flounder is offline   Reply With Quote