Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: Number 4 should...
Hang 'em up. It's been a great career, but no sense in hanging around for the down years. 89 66.92%
Stick around and hope the team can turn things around quickly. 44 33.08%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-29-2005, 03:12 PM   #1
Kodos
Resident Alien

Brett Favre

Should he retire? It looks eerily similar to the Marino situation where the team seems to want to go in a new direction. I think he still has something left in the tank, if surrounded by the right personnel. But it looks like he won't get that. And he said he doesn't want to go elsewhere. What should he do?

Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 03:15 PM   #2
st.cronin
General Manager

I think the Packers organization definitely can't wait for him to retire. The question of 'should he retire' is really not something that anybody other than Favre can answer.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 03:16 PM   #3
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I think the Packers would be much better if it were not for the amount of injuries the team suffered this season.
Old 12-29-2005, 03:17 PM   #4
ShovelMonkey
H.S. Freshman Team

Favre still has the ability to play, but I don't know whether his head is in it anymore. I think in the right place with the right coach (someone who could tone down some of those stupid INT's), he could be an MVP canidate again.

That being said, it just wouldn't be the same with him in different colors. Retire.
Old 12-29-2005, 03:20 PM   #5
JeeberD
General Manager

See ya later, Favre-nater...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 03:20 PM   #6
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I would bet many teams would want him, but I think it's time to hang 'em up.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 03:22 PM   #7
Deattribution
College Benchwarmer

I think it's time to retire just to end this damn questioning whether he'll retire this year or not since it seems they've been asking right after he came out of highschool.

I know they were at the very least asking whether he's going to retire or not every year since he was 30.
Deattribution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 03:31 PM   #8
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

I would like him to retire just so I don't have to hear about "The Favre Magic" when the Packers are 2-10
Old 12-29-2005, 03:36 PM   #9
DanGarion
Coordinator

Hot!

er oh this isn't a hot or not...

*runs*
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 03:41 PM   #10
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

If I were him, I'd take the money I was rolling in, walk away from the rebuilding, and not get any more concussions.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 03:45 PM   #11
SegRat
High School Varsity

I think he comes back. To many injuries this season, and he doesnt want to go out that way. Plus the team really wants him back. If Mooch comes to Greenbay, no question Favre plays 1 more. And I want him back as there is nothing I have seen out of Aaron Rogers or have I read anything that makes me think he is going to be even an average QB.
Old 12-29-2005, 03:49 PM   #12
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

Stick around, because when your physical ability is really gone, then you can never play at that level again. So, if you are doing what you love, then get all you can out of it before it is gone.
Grammaticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 03:50 PM   #13
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

Location: Caught somewhere between Raising Hell and Amazing Grace...
He should retire before things get really ugly - always try and go out on a good note, not when people are shaking their heads and saying "man, he should have retired last year".
oliegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 03:51 PM   #14
Deattribution
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SegRat
I think he comes back. To many injuries this season, and he doesnt want to go out that way. Plus the team really wants him back. If Mooch comes to Greenbay, no question Favre plays 1 more. And I want him back as there is nothing I have seen out of Aaron Rogers or have I read anything that makes me think he is going to be even an average QB.

If Mooch goes to Greenbay as HC then you never will have to worry about seeing anything out of Aaron Rogers....ever.

From all earlier reports though, Favre doesn't want to remain unless Sherman does.
Deattribution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 03:53 PM   #15
st.cronin
General Manager

I might be in the minority, but if it's me, I play forever. I would be like Jerry Rice. You only get one chance to play in the NFL, you better make the most of it.

knives out
Old 12-29-2005, 04:03 PM   #16
Surtt
College Benchwarmer

shaking my head

man, he should have retired last year.
Surtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 04:25 PM   #17
timmae
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliegirl
He should retire before things get really ugly - always try and go out on a good note, not when people are shaking their heads and saying "man, he should have retired last year".

as said right above me... that'd would've been last year. The packers have to get things right in the next few seasons. I don't see it happening anytime soon. Having said that... I'd like to see him stay a few more seasons. They do not have any options that are better than him at this point and the team will bounce back (players healthy for one, a few key FA's 2...). He's still got some left.... let him stick around!
Old 12-29-2005, 04:35 PM   #18
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Where's the trout option?
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 06:14 PM   #19
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Favre is still better than 80% of the quarterbacks in the league. I wonder what in the world people are thinking when they blame him for the Packers record this season when they lost Walker, Green and half their offensive line to injuries.
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 06:33 PM   #20
clintl
College Starter

I think Brett Favre should play as long as he wants to play and can still make a roster.
clintl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 08:04 PM   #21
Lorena
Unregistered

He's Brett Favre... he can do whatever the hell he wants.
Lorena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 08:07 PM   #22
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

Keep playing Favre. You only live once.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 08:21 PM   #23
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Where's the option for "Keep playing as I enjoy watching you throw mindless interceptions 30 yards downfield into triple coverage"?
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 11:06 PM   #24
biological warrior
High School Varsity

He should ''whore'' himself out to a team needing of a qb and, a good OL....say Houston.
biological warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 11:18 PM   #25
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgerchick
He's Brett Favre... he can do whatever the hell he wants.
I wonder if Brett, like Chuck Norris can look at a woman and make her climax by saying "booya"?
Grammaticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 11:26 PM   #26
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice4277
Where's the option for "Keep playing as I enjoy watching you throw mindless interceptions 30 yards downfield into triple coverage"?

Its hard to make good passing decisions when the announcers are sucking on your dick the whole game.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 12:09 AM   #27
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

I'm not sure I understand the groundswell of sentiment in favor of Favre's retirement. He's been one of the league's most entertaining QBs since 1992 and is having an off-year for reasons folks have already stated.

As long as he can still play, and still wants to play, he should.

Last edited by Fonzie : 12-30-2005 at 12:09 AM.
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 01:25 AM   #28
Mo.Raider
H.S. Freshman Team

I have to wonder what he could do if he played in a system that would allow him to reel it in a little and not feel like he had to be a life saving hero in every game. Man, to see him sit back and play smart with a good core group around him makes me think he could still put up some crazy numbers. I would sure take him over Kerry Collins . Favre to Moss; Porter and a rebuilt line would give the Raiders some real juice on the offensive side of the ball.
Old 12-30-2005, 08:42 AM   #29
Kodos
Resident Alien

I guess what I'm thinking is he should retire if going through a rebuilding process is unappealing to him. It's hard to imagine that this has been a fun season for him. I say, as long as he wants to keep playing, the Packers should keep him. He doesn't want to go elsewhere, so that's not an option. I would certainly welcome him with open arms onto the Dolphins. I'm just saying that maybe he wouldn't enjoy more 3-13 seasons. If he just wants to keep going because he loves the game, I'm 100% behind that, just as I was when Marino was in the twilight of his career. I believe players like Rice, Favre, Montana, Elway, and Marino earn the right to go out on their own terms.
Old 12-30-2005, 11:20 AM   #30
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Odd that a player, especially a QB, would lose it more mentally than physically. Normally the mind can't get the body to do what it wants but, in Favre's case, seems it is the other way around.

Having said that, as a Packer fan, I'd like to see him return but, I also don't want the Packers to suck for another decade and, in order to do that, they shouldn't resign such guys as Grady Jackson, A. Green and part ways with Diggs, Ferguson, Flanigan.. they are just guys that are either fragile, beat to hell or getting older and wouldn't be part of a team 2-3 years down the line so, why spend $20 million on guys that are starting to be just bodies...

Unfortunately, if you start weeding out guys like that, Favre isn't going to want to stick around so, personally, I think the Packers will start cutting or not resigning guys, have little impact in the FA market.. Favre will see this and say screw it around Mid-March...
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 11:36 AM   #31
Kodos
Resident Alien

I don't know that he's lost it mentally so much as he is pressing way too hard to make plays because there is nobody else left who make them if he doesn't.
Old 12-30-2005, 11:40 AM   #32
st.cronin
General Manager

I think actually the mental aspect typically fades first, before the physical aspect. With modern training methods, it's pretty easy to keep the body in fantastic working order to a late age. The brain and all it's functions (including desire to win, concentration, decision-making) is a lot harder to maintain. I think that what looks to us in a lot of aging athletes as declining physical tools is more a reflection of the decline of the mental aspect.

knives out
Old 12-30-2005, 01:38 PM   #33
Surtt
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonzie
As long as he can still play, and still wants to play, he should.

It's the still play part.
Surtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 02:52 PM   #34
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPI97
Favre is still better than 80% of the quarterbacks in the league. I wonder what in the world people are thinking when they blame him for the Packers record this season when they lost Walker, Green and half their offensive line to injuries.

That 80% sounds like an emotional, not a rational thought. Because he's been to blame for a lot of the Packers losses. He's basically gotten a free pass on this, but if he were any other QB, and Sherman had any guts, Rodgers would have been playing in week 8. Maybe the injuries made him put more pressure on himself thus leading to more interceptions, but at the end of last week he had 11 more INTs (28) than the next leading QB, Brooks (17).

highlight:

Week 1: Trailing 10-3 midway through the fourth quarter at Detroit, Favre is intercepted by Kenoy Kennedy. The Lions score a touchdown on the ensuing drive to make the final margin 17-3.
Week 2: Trailing 12-7 late in the third quarter against Cleveland, Favre is intercepted by Gary Baxter. The Browns score a touchdown on the ensuing drive and go on to win 26-24.
Week 3: Trailing 17-16 versus Tampa Bay with just over five minutes remaining, Favre is intercepted by Will Allen for the second time in the quarter. The Buccaneers run out the clock to preserve the victory.
Week 8: Trailing 14-7 in the second half at Cincinnati, Favre throws four interceptions on four consecutive drives in the third and fourth quarters. The last one, Odell Thurman’s second pick of the day (and Favre’s fifth), is turned into a touchdown by the Bengals, propelling them to a 21-14 win.
Week 9: Trailing 13-10 in the fourth quarter against Pittsburgh, Favre is intercepted by Tyrone Carter. The Steelers score a touchdown on the ensuing drive and secure a 20-10 victory.
Week 11: Trailing 17-14 in the fourth quarter versus Minnesota, Favre is intercepted by Brian Williams. Each team adds a field goal for a final score of 20-17.
Week 12: Trailing 19-14 at Philadelphia with less than a minute remaining, Favre is intercepted by Roderick Hood. The Eagles take one knee to run out the clock.

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com...e.php?Page=586
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 03:33 PM   #35
Arles
Grey Dog Software

It's hard to imagine GB could have been much worse with Rodgers out there - and it's also hard to imagine this team getting more than 8 wins next season. So, it makes sense to let Favre walk and see what Rodgers can do as a starter. I doubt he will throw 28 picks and be the main reason for 7 team losses like Favre was. Plus, he'll actually be around in 2007 and 2008 and this team can actually start understanding they still have to field a team when Favre retires.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 03:36 PM   #36
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo

Week 1: Trailing 10-3 midway through the fourth quarter at Detroit, Favre is intercepted by Kenoy Kennedy. The Lions score a touchdown on the ensuing drive to make the final margin 17-3.
Week 2: Trailing 12-7 late in the third quarter against Cleveland, Favre is intercepted by Gary Baxter. The Browns score a touchdown on the ensuing drive and go on to win 26-24.
Week 3: Trailing 17-16 versus Tampa Bay with just over five minutes remaining, Favre is intercepted by Will Allen for the second time in the quarter. The Buccaneers run out the clock to preserve the victory.
Week 8: Trailing 14-7 in the second half at Cincinnati, Favre throws four interceptions on four consecutive drives in the third and fourth quarters. The last one, Odell Thurman’s second pick of the day (and Favre’s fifth), is turned into a touchdown by the Bengals, propelling them to a 21-14 win.
Week 9: Trailing 13-10 in the fourth quarter against Pittsburgh, Favre is intercepted by Tyrone Carter. The Steelers score a touchdown on the ensuing drive and secure a 20-10 victory.
Week 11: Trailing 17-14 in the fourth quarter versus Minnesota, Favre is intercepted by Brian Williams. Each team adds a field goal for a final score of 20-17.
Week 12: Trailing 19-14 at Philadelphia with less than a minute remaining, Favre is intercepted by Roderick Hood. The Eagles take one knee to run out the clock.

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com...e.php?Page=586

Thats a narrow view at those games and those plays. If you are saying Favre lost 7 games on his own this season your are nothing but wrong in my eyes. I have gone over this all season though and am not going to get into anymore once again.
Old 01-01-2006, 03:37 PM   #37
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Dola- I want him to stay. He still has it, just don't think the team does as a whole so not sure if next year is a lot better then this year.

With that said, I get the feeling that was it. Watching the end of that game, him waving to the fans as he walked off, the shots of his family. Just gave me that feeling.
Old 01-01-2006, 04:02 PM   #38
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer
Thats a narrow view at those games and those plays. If you are saying Favre lost 7 games on his own this season your are nothing but wrong in my eyes. I have gone over this all season though and am not going to get into anymore once again.

I don't think it's a narrow view at all. Turnovers have a huge impact on a team's ability to win games. Turnovers at key moments late in the game will destroy a team. The flip side is that if you're performing like that then you aren't helping the team win games either. I'm not a Favre-hater by a long shot, but the signs to me are obvious.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 04:22 PM   #39
SegRat
High School Varsity

Why would Rogers be any better this year than Favre was? Lets see a rookie QB playing behind a bad offensive line, throwing to your number 2, 4 and a couple of guys who should have considered themselves lucky to make a practice squad. Oh yeah and lets not forget about the fact that they ended up playing with RB's that didnt have any buisness out there? I will give credit to Gado as he did show he may have something.
Playing with what the Packers had on offense this year would have killed any confidence Rogers may have had. He probably at best would have been a Rick Mirer type of QB. Hopefully they get some guys back from injury and rebuild the OLine, then maybe Rogers can succeed.
Old 01-01-2006, 04:37 PM   #40
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo
I don't think it's a narrow view at all. Turnovers have a huge impact on a team's ability to win games. Turnovers at key moments late in the game will destroy a team. The flip side is that if you're performing like that then you aren't helping the team win games either. I'm not a Favre-hater by a long shot, but the signs to me are obvious.
I think it's a narrow view in that you are (or someone else) are singling out a handful of plays that fails to recognize both the positive plays Favre has made and even the plays that he has made/not made that other quarterbacks would have executed differently. As bad as Favre was this year, he wasn't Alex Smith, Kyle Boller, Kyle Orton or Joey Harrington, among others.

With all deference to Samkon Gado, when Green went down for the season teams began keying on stopping Favre and the passing game, which was also in disarray with injuries to the offensive line and receiving corps. I think that's what enable Green Bay to look like it still had a running game while the passing game was continuing to struggle. The running game was succeeding because no one was trying that hard to stop it. As bad as Green Bay was this year, I think they certainly would have been worse without him.

That said, I'd like to see Favre retire because next year will be more of the same. It's doubtful that Green comes back 100 percent, the offensive line will still be a mess and we don't know what the receivers will look like. We also don't know what the coaching situation will be. If Favre sticks around for another year, I think he's due for another 10-loss plus season, and I don't think a real football fan wants to see that.

I see Jason "Whitless" Whitlock is proposing that Favre go out to Oakland and run the Raiders. That would be a tragic ending to a fine career.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 04:58 PM   #41
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19
I think it's a narrow view in that you are (or someone else) are singling out a handful of plays that fails to recognize both the positive plays Favre has made and even the plays that he has made/not made that other quarterbacks would have executed differently. As bad as Favre was this year, he wasn't Alex Smith, Kyle Boller, Kyle Orton or Joey Harrington, among others.

With all deference to Samkon Gado, when Green went down for the season teams began keying on stopping Favre and the passing game, which was also in disarray with injuries to the offensive line and receiving corps. I think that's what enable Green Bay to look like it still had a running game while the passing game was continuing to struggle. The running game was succeeding because no one was trying that hard to stop it. As bad as Green Bay was this year, I think they certainly would have been worse without him.

That said, I'd like to see Favre retire because next year will be more of the same. It's doubtful that Green comes back 100 percent, the offensive line will still be a mess and we don't know what the receivers will look like. We also don't know what the coaching situation will be. If Favre sticks around for another year, I think he's due for another 10-loss plus season, and I don't think a real football fan wants to see that.

I see Jason "Whitless" Whitlock is proposing that Favre go out to Oakland and run the Raiders. That would be a tragic ending to a fine career.

Close to what I would have said, and was typing out before my computer locked up.

As far as Favre going somewhere else, I don't think it will happen. If by some chance it does, I think Miami would be a decent spot for him which I hate to say because I don't like the Dolphins much.
Old 08-13-2008, 04:51 PM   #42
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

Just found this thread while searching for something else. Gave me a chuckle.
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 05:26 PM   #43
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Keep playing Favre. You only live once.

My opinion hasn't changed a bit.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote