Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-29-2005, 10:08 AM   #1
marshall881
Mascot

High Speed Internet Options

My house is located where I cannot get high speed cable or DSL. What experiences has anyone had with DirecTV internet service or does anyone else know of other alternatives.

marshall881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 10:27 AM   #2
moriarty
College Starter

I think you mean DirectWay (it was partially owned by DirectTV, but not sure if that's the case anymore).

I looked into it at one point in time. Seemed like it was pricey and you had to pay for installation of another dish/equipment even if you had DirectTV (apparently you're not allowed to do the install yourself). I also think the speeds weren't that great. Note from their website:

"With the DIRECWAY Home service plan, you may enjoy download speeds up to 700Kbps, with typical speeds of about 500Kbps to 600Kbps during peak times. Upload speeds, which are capable of reaching 128Kbps, are typically 70Kbps to 80Kbps during peak hours."

Also note you have to have a clear view of the southern sky.

You're pretty much limited if you don't have access to cable or DSL. I do know some folks who actually purchases a T1 line, set up a wireless network and then charged their neighbors for access to pay for the T1 costs. Basically setting up your own wireless provider. I seem to recall some technology which provided broadband over the powerlines as well, but I don't have any info on that.
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote