Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-28-2005, 02:12 PM   #1
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Online Video Game Rentals (Gamefly/Gamerang)

With the purchase of the Xbox 360, thought I would resubscribe to Gamefly..

Seems like a big mistake... almost 12 days in and not a single game has shown up and no responses from Gamefly. Can't even find a phone # to call.

Soooo... anyone else tried any of the other online game services? (Gamerang, Rent Zero, Into the Game, Red Octane....)
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...

Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 02:29 PM   #2
Vince
Pro Starter

Really? I love Gamefly, and would swear by them. They have provided me excellent service, and the games usually get here in a day or so. Sorry to hear that you are having issues.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 02:39 PM   #3
Bee
Pro Starter

I did Gamefly for a few months. The first month, everything went smooth. I was getting games with about a 3-4 day turn around. Second month it all fell apart, games started "disappearing" and it was taking two weeks to get a game back after sending one in. Cancelled after the third month.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 02:43 PM   #4
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince
Really? I love Gamefly, and would swear by them. They have provided me excellent service, and the games usually get here in a day or so. Sorry to hear that you are having issues.

My first go around, it was good. But, that was about 7-8 months ago. 7-8 months for a relatively newer business is a long time so, didn't know if their service just went completely into the crapper or if I'm just having bad luck.

All they have to do to keep me around is to extend my initial month subscription to make up for this. No games = wasted money. If I want to waste my money on a monthly fee on something I won't use, I'll join a health club.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Old 12-28-2005, 02:52 PM   #5
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Last time I was a member they were only shipping from Cali, unlike netflix they didn't have distribution warehouses all over the country. With me being in Indiana, it just took way too long to get games. I'd send it in the mail, 5 days later I would get an email saying they got it back. They would never ship the same day, would wait to the next day, and then usually 5 or more days after all that I'd get my new game.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 03:00 PM   #6
heybrad
Norm!!!

I recently signed up with Gamefly having got a PSP as an early Christmas gift. It's great since I'm traveling quite a bit lately and have taken different games to try each trip.
heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 03:37 PM   #7
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Hmm.. interesting. 2 California guys seemingly love it and have no issues.. guys in the midwest/east coast are lukewarm at best. And the company is in California.. Although, they did add the check-in feature with the post office which, presumably, when it is checked in they ship your next game right away.
Old 12-28-2005, 04:00 PM   #8
SackAttack
Head Coach

I've been with 'em close to two years now. Great service, but admittedly, the people who have the best things to say about it are going to be West Coasters at the moment. They're opening distribution centers around the country, and that will help midwesterners and east coasters get an experience closer to what we get in California.

I do wonder, though, if winter weather in places that actually GET winter might not also be slowing things down.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 04:01 PM   #9
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack
They're opening distribution centers around the country, and that will help midwesterners and east coasters get an experience closer to what we get in California.

I seem to recall getting an e-mail from them that stated this over a year ago. I'll believe it when I see it.

Last edited by Pumpy Tudors : 12-28-2005 at 04:02 PM.
Pumpy Tudors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 05:20 PM   #10
spleen1015
Coordinator

I'm in Indiana and just signed up Sunday, with my games shipping Monday. I was hoping to get them today. Should I expect Saturday?

Last edited by spleen1015 : 12-28-2005 at 05:21 PM.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 05:25 PM   #11
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I'm suprised Netflix hasn't added video games to their inventory.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 05:48 PM   #12
FBPro
College Starter

I had an issue w/ a purchase of a game from Gamefly on Christmas eve, I called and they helped me out in minutes. I've been a subscriber for 2 or 3 years w/o issue.
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 07:50 PM   #13
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015
I'm in Indiana and just signed up Sunday, with my games shipping Monday. I was hoping to get them today. Should I expect Saturday?

It usually takes 4-5 days for me to get games here in Cincinnati.
Bearcat729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 09:57 PM   #14
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew
I'm suprised Netflix hasn't added video games to their inventory.

I was reading on that. Appears that places like netflix and blockbuster have direct deals with the studios to get DVDs cheaper, gaming studios don't have any deals like that because they want to stick retail side since that is the money maker. Combined with the fact that movies are cheaper on the whole than games and you can build an inventory of movies that still have use (People will still rent Raiders of the Lost Ark but, who will go back to Madden 2000). So, they don't have a desire to go this route...

Today was day 13 since they said they would ship and day 3 of reporting. I don't hear anything tomorrow from Gamefly, I'll cancel and request a refund either through them or credit charge back for non-service. Oh well... I'll try Gamerang then. At least they have a distribution center in Minnesota.
Old 12-29-2005, 07:10 AM   #15
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors
I seem to recall getting an e-mail from them that stated this over a year ago. I'll believe it when I see it.

Actually, I think they've been saying that for at least 2 years. I joined about a year ago and it was because I saw something about them opening distribution centers on the east coast. Before I left, I went to check on the status of the distribution centers and found an announcement from late 2003 saying they were in the process of opening east coast distribution centers.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote