Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-26-2005, 10:46 AM   #1
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

End of year charitable contributions

I'm hoping that we can keep this civil, I just thought it might provide some good publicity for any personal favorite causes. While there's plenty of donations year round, the practical reality is that the end of the calendar year does spark another round of giving at times.

I'm sincerely hoping that we can avoid any controversy about taxation, motivations, or anything else that goes along with the subject of donations, including how some charities run their operations. There's a number of resources online, including http://www.give.org/ , and I recommend you check out any group to see if they operate to your personal satisfaction when giving. And if I can promise not to rip on anybody who happens to list the ACLU or PETA (just for examples) then surely everybody can play nice about whatever someone chooses to list. I'm not really thinking about doing "sales pitches" for our personal favorites, just a chance to point others to causes you believe are worthwhile & then let everyone decided for themselves.

Okay, disclaimer over

If you're looking for an organization to donate to, I ask that you consider the following:

LSU School of Veterinary Medicine
http://www.cvm.missouri.edu/news/donateLSU.htm

Mississippi State University College of Veterinary Medicine
http://www.cvm.msstate.edu/disaster_response.html

Atlanta Siamese & Persian Rescue
http://www.cat-rescue.org/index.html

The V Foundation for Cancer Research
http://www.jimmyv.org/

Beauvoir Jefferson Davis Home and Presidential Library
http://www.beauvoir.org/

National Trust for Historic Preservation "Team Tarp" project
http://member.nationaltrust.org/site...?store_id=3261

JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 11:06 AM   #2
Joe
Pro Starter

American Heart Association
http://www.americanheart.org
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 11:06 AM   #3
st.cronin
General Manager

Not to threadjack but ...

Can somebody explain why the cutoff is Jan 1, and not April 1? I've never been able to understand that - it seems so random.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 11:20 AM   #4
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

st. c -- if I follow your question correctly, it's because your April tax return is based on things that occurred between Jan 1 & Dec 31 (i.e. calendar year) not April 1 thru March 31.

Basically, you get 3 months+ to do the paperwork from the previous year.
Old 12-26-2005, 11:24 AM   #5
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
st. c -- if I follow your question correctly, it's because your April tax return is based on things that occurred between Jan 1 & Dec 31 (i.e. calendar year) not April 1 thru March 31.

Basically, you get 3 months+ to do the paperwork from the previous year.

Right - I know that. But if the idea behind charitable deductions is to increase charitable donations, then the deadline should be extended beyond Jan 1 into at least February so as to allow people to maximize their giving.

knives out
Old 12-26-2005, 11:24 AM   #6
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Compassion International
http://www.compassion.com/
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 11:26 AM   #7
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin
Right - I know that. But if the idea behind charitable deductions is to increase charitable donations, then the deadline should be extended beyond Jan 1 into at least February so as to allow people to maximize their giving.

At the risk of sidebarring, all that would do is remove contributions from the following year (for tax purposes).

In other words, you can't perpetually "borrow" from the following year without eventually "paying it back" at some point (since there's a finite amount of time in each calendar year).
Old 12-26-2005, 11:28 AM   #8
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:

But a year is year. If you extend to February, then you have to start the next year from February.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 11:28 AM   #9
miked
College Starter

Odd, because I think you can contribute to an IRA until the tax deadline, but really I guess it would make no difference. Oh well. Kudos to those that donate to the AHA, as that's where my funds come from
miked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 11:56 AM   #10
John Galt
Pro Starter

This year, more than normal, I focused giving on Habitat for Humanity. Despite people's views of my politics, I've never contributed to the ACLU or any other political nonprofit. All of my giving usually goes to money for the poor and homeless, usually to Christian affliated charities.
Old 12-26-2005, 12:04 PM   #11
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Providing link for John Galt's suggestion:
http://www.habitat.org/default2.aspx
Old 12-26-2005, 12:08 PM   #12
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

st. cronin must be a ex-Enron accountant.

the only charity we give to is PETA.
Old 12-26-2005, 12:10 PM   #13
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthousekeeper
st. cronin must be a ex-Enron accountant.

Well, I did used to be a licensed stockbroker.

knives out
Old 12-26-2005, 12:21 PM   #14
Airhog
Captain Obvious

I do some volunteering at work through our CAC. However, this year the only donations I have made is to United Way.

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!
Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 02:25 PM   #15
Farrah Whitworth-Rahn
Red-Headed Vixen

Quote:
Not to threadjack but ...

Can somebody explain why the cutoff is Jan 1, and not April 1? I've never been able to understand that - it seems so random.
The service likes to match up deductions individuals take to the income recognized by the charity. They don't like to have dangling deductions (my word) - deductions in one year with income recognition in the other. Since the bulk of individuals and charities are on a calendar year, cut off is December 31.
Farrah Whitworth-Rahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 02:25 PM   #16
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
I'm hoping that we can keep this civil

I admire your faith.
Old 12-26-2005, 03:03 PM   #17
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farrah Whitworth-Rahn
The service likes to match up deductions individuals take to the income recognized by the charity. They don't like to have dangling deductions (my word) - deductions in one year with income recognition in the other. Since the bulk of individuals and charities are on a calendar year, cut off is December 31.

Makes sense. I think they could work around that, though (perhaps by having a later filing date for charities). I don't really know for sure, but I assume that you would see a big bump in charitable donations by allowing deductible donations up til the filing date.

knives out
Old 12-26-2005, 05:50 PM   #18
Farrah Whitworth-Rahn
Red-Headed Vixen

Quote:
Makes sense. I think they could work around that, though (perhaps by having a later filing date for charities). I don't really know for sure, but I assume that you would see a big bump in charitable donations by allowing deductible donations up til the filing date.
For calendar year charities, their tax return due date is already May 15th. There needs to be a cut off somewhere.
And I disagree with the opinion that you'd see a big bump in contributions if you allowed people to do so up until April 15th. The effect on taxable income of a charitable contribution is not the same as say an IRA contribution. One is an itemized deduction, one is an adjustment to AGI. Adjustments to AGI lower TI more, and faster than itemized deductions.

If I were advising a client on an easy, fast and more advantageous way to reduce their tax liability, I'd push an IRA over a charitable contribution.
Old 12-26-2005, 05:58 PM   #19
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
For calendar year charities, their tax return due date is already May 15th. There needs to be a cut off somewhere.
And I disagree with the opinion that you'd see a big bump in contributions if you allowed people to do so up until April 15th. The effect on taxable income of a charitable contribution is not the same as say an IRA contribution. One is an itemized deduction, one is an adjustment to AGI. Adjustments to AGI lower TI more, and faster than itemized deductions.

If I were advising a client on an easy, fast and more advantageous way to reduce their tax liability, I'd push an IRA over a charitable contribution.

The only problem I see with what you are saying is that IRA contributions are capped, so there obviously ARE situations where a charitable donation would reduce somebody's tax burden. I have no idea if there are any studies done that bear out what I am saying.

All of this is just my hyper-analytical way of suggesting that we should all give more, and that the government should encourage us to give more.

knives out
Old 12-26-2005, 06:10 PM   #20
Farrah Whitworth-Rahn
Red-Headed Vixen

Quote:
The only problem I see with what you are saying is that IRA contributions are capped, so there obviously ARE situations where a charitable donation would reduce somebody's tax burden. I have no idea if there are any studies done that bear out what I am saying.

All of this is just my hyper-analytical way of suggesting that we should all give more, and that the government should encourage us to give more.

Ahhh my dear St. Cronin, charitable coributions are capped as well. In many different ways. And of course there are situations where charitable giving could benefit people - but in my professional experience, the people who have the extra cash laying around to make contributions to reduce their TI have the cash to pay people like me to find better tax answers for them.

I had a professor once tell me that charitable contributions had no impact on taxpayer behavior. I think he authored a paper on it, but I haven't read it so take that with a grain of salt. It makes a bit of sense though - the people who give out of a sense to give back to the community probably wash out the people who give to get a deduction on their tax returns.
Old 12-26-2005, 06:13 PM   #21
Farrah Whitworth-Rahn
Red-Headed Vixen

Dola - We like The Salvation Army
Old 12-26-2005, 06:16 PM   #22
Galaxy
Coordinator

[quote=JonInMiddleGA]

The V Foundation for Cancer Research
http://www.jimmyv.org/

Watching the Jimmy V basketball tournamet a few weeks ago, his speech which is played during the break of the two games is worth the donation alone.

Last edited by Galaxy : 12-26-2005 at 06:16 PM.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 06:22 PM   #23
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Dola - We like The Salvation Army

Adding a link for She-Rahn's recommend of
The Salvation Army
Old 12-26-2005, 06:52 PM   #24
digamma
Torchbearer

At the risk of being accused of self-promoting, I'd offer the scholarship fund in memory of my dad and brother. Thus far, we've been able to endow the fund to ensure the scholarship is given for 20+ years (which is a long time), but I plan to be going back to Tucker when I'm 70 or so to present the award.

If your motivation is a 2005 year tax deduction (and I don't find fault with that), I'd probably pass on our small fund (the folks at Tucker do a fantastic job getting receipts and the like out to contributors, but the school offices are closed this week, and I can't guarantee when contributions would be processed), but I'd appreciate it if you might keep it in mind in the future.

http://www.coachvandbill.com/scholarship.htm
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 11:31 AM   #25
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I give to my church but that's pretty much it for me. My wife gives to St Jude's.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 10:59 AM   #26
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

I'd strongly reccommned Doctors Without Borders - whatever their politics, they have the lowest load ratio in the business, and they go to places (especially Africa) that others simply won't. In essence, they are working where it is needed the most.

www.msf.org I believe
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 11:06 AM   #27
JeeberD
General Manager

The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 11:08 AM   #28
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

I'm a big fan of Heifer Project. They give gifts of animals to folks around the world, and work with those communities to make sure that as those animals multiply, they are spread throughout the community. Basically: sustainability.

Also good is Oxfam. They're particularly good in the provision of clean water, which is a critical need both for poor areas, and disaster areas.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 11:15 AM   #29
Kodos
Resident Alien

If you like conservation groups, The Nature Conservancy and The Sierra Club are fine choices. Also, The World Wildlife Fund is nice, especially since they stuck it to The World Wrestling Federation.

Last edited by Kodos : 12-28-2005 at 11:17 AM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 11:18 AM   #30
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

Here are a few site that are very good at evaluating charities. For those that are concerned about the validity or actual mission of various charities.

http://www.charitynavigator.org/

http://www.guidestar.org/

The first site rates charities on how efficient and responsive they are.

The second, lets you check out the legitimacy of the charity and if contributions are actually tax deductible. You can also check the charity's finances and mission. I believe it offers additional info on statistics and things like that for pay. the first part is free.
Grammaticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 11:24 AM   #31
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 11:37 AM   #32
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho
I'm a big fan of Heifer Project. They give gifts of animals to folks around the world, and work with those communities to make sure that as those animals multiply, they are spread throughout the community. Basically: sustainability.

Also good is Oxfam. They're particularly good in the provision of clean water, which is a critical need both for poor areas, and disaster areas.

I don't recall ever hearing of heifer.org before, very creative. Thanks for sharing that.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:40 AM   #33
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Thanks to everyone who has participated in this thread, whether by posting or reading.

And I found a new charity to contribute to from it, so I know for sure that at least one group benefitted from it a little bit.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:44 AM   #34
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot
I'd strongly reccommned Doctors Without Borders - whatever their politics, they have the lowest load ratio in the business, and they go to places (especially Africa) that others simply won't. In essence, they are working where it is needed the most.

www.msf.org I believe
My sister is big on them (she's in med school)- they do a lot of good work.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 12:05 PM   #35
JeeberD
General Manager

Oh, and I forgot about this one. It's one of my personal favorites...

The JeeberD's Wedding Fund Association

Such a worthy cause. Donate $100 and I hear they send you a cookie!

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO

Last edited by JeeberD : 12-28-2005 at 12:06 PM.
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 02:53 PM   #36
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD
Oh, and I forgot about this one. It's one of my personal favorites...

The JeeberD's Wedding Fund Association

Such a worthy cause. Donate $100 and I hear they send you a cookie!

I can't pass up a cookie!
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 02:55 PM   #37
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice
My sister is big on them (she's in med school)- they do a lot of good work.

SI

I've also become a big fan of Doctors without Borders.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote