Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-24-2005, 11:55 AM   #1
Airhog
Captain Obvious

Do non-christian religions in the USA get offended?

With all of the current religious debates going on right now, I have started to wonder more about this. Especially in regards to the Happy Holidays debate, and ID theory in the classroom. Do you ever hear of other religions in the US complaining about things like this? In all honesty, I haven't really heard anything about this. I think there is one obvious reason. You do not see many people that worship a non-christian religion, in positions of power in the government. I wouldn't be suprised if that didn't reach as far down as a local level.

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!

Last edited by Airhog : 12-24-2005 at 12:43 PM.
Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 12:11 PM   #2
Dutch
"Dutch"

If I'm not mistaken, Christians aren't the ones complaining about Christmas.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 12:20 PM   #3
MrBigglesworth
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch
If I'm not mistaken, Christians aren't the ones complaining about Christmas.
The religious right is known for being very atheist.

There is the Jewish Anti-defamation League that handles a lot of Jewish complaints, and the ACLU handles a lot of religious complaints (only the opposite of Christian ones, i.e. when the government represses their religions).
MrBigglesworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 12:22 PM   #4
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

The "religious right" is known for being "very atheist."

Maybe my lack of sleep leading into Christmas has done me in, but surely this is a joke?

Religions are not offended by anything. People are.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 12:28 PM   #5
Dutch
"Dutch"

The beautiful thing about this country is you can still celebrate whatever you want.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

I didn't say that to be offensive, I just wanted to wish good will in my people's traditional way.
Old 12-24-2005, 12:29 PM   #6
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekneek
The "religious right" is known for being "very atheist."
Maybe my lack of sleep leading into Christmas has done me in, but surely this is a joke?

"Activist" maybe?
Old 12-24-2005, 12:34 PM   #7
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Not sure I understand the premise of the question. What do you mean by "other religions?"

FWIW, I was raised Catholic and still consider myself Catholic even though I do not attend services regularly. I'm offended by the debate over happy holidays and intelligent design because I think there should be a clear division between religion and state (ID) and it's nobody's business whether I say Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays and why I do it.

I'm not sure I understand the question about non-Christians in positions of government. But no, I don't see any Muslims on boards of education trying to teach the Koran in sciences classes in this country or Muslims boycotting stores that use "Happy Holidays" instead of "Happy Ramadan."
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 12:42 PM   #8
Airhog
Captain Obvious

I meant other religions as being religions that are a definate minority in the states here. FWIW, I would lump Catholics loosely in with the christians. Maybe I should have stated the questions as non-christian religions...

Old 12-24-2005, 01:28 PM   #9
Dutch
"Dutch"

Is being in the majority automatically make you offensive to others?
Old 12-24-2005, 02:07 PM   #10
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Don't be silly. Of course it is. I'm always oppressing the Jews, athiests, and Muslims I run into when I wish them a Merry Christmas.

I'm a jack booted thug with good tidings to bear.

Last edited by Glengoyne : 12-24-2005 at 02:08 PM.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 02:08 PM   #11
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Oh you didn't know? Well ...
Old 12-24-2005, 03:25 PM   #12
MrBigglesworth
College Starter

Yeah, it's the non-Christians who are the offended ones in this country. It is the atheists, Jews, and Muslims organizing boycotts for saying 'Happy Holidays' and going on their nationally telvised shows talking about the War on Hanukkah.

The persecution complex of Christians always amazes me.
Old 12-24-2005, 05:45 PM   #13
Drake
assmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glengoyne
I'm a jack booted thug with good tidings to bear.

Can I steal this line as my sig? I love it.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 06:12 PM   #14
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

Both side of this "Merry Christmas" debate are out of line...

I'll quote myself from the OOTP board, because it pretty much sums up my opinion on this:

"I honestly wish to **** that this whole debate would just go away... I'm sick of people being offended of Chistmas... and I'm sick of people using this as an opportunity to re-Chistianize everyone or get some votes!!!!! Just STFU and go away!!!"
LETS GO JAYS!!
EHM 2005 DYNASTY: A New Philosophy in Toronto!
Joe Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 06:29 PM   #15
st.cronin
General Manager

By all rights, Christians should be much more offended by Christmas than non-Christians, since the way the holiday is celebrated (and marketed) makes a mockery of Jesus' teachings.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 06:45 PM   #16
Mac Howard
Sick as a Parrot

Quote:
FWIW, I would lump Catholics loosely in with the christians.

lol at that, airhog.

As far as I can see over here it's not other religions at all that are offended by Merry Christmas, Christmas trees etc but the politically correct atheist/agnostic left. Many a Muslim spokesman here has said "you're not speaking for us when you ask that Christian symbols be removed".

As an agnostic I find it childish/trivial - can't find quite the right word but you get my drift. Multiculturism is about accepting ALL cultures (including the Christian west) and not none.

Teaching ID in science classes is a much more serious matter and I would personally remove my daughter from any school that did it but fortunately there's not a cat-in-hell's chance of that happening here in the forseeable future.

Edit:

I just realised that I hadn't capitalised "Muslim" and decided I should do so to avoid any offence. Sign of the times

Last edited by Mac Howard : 12-24-2005 at 08:59 PM.
Mac Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 01:45 PM   #17
-Mojo Jojo-
High School Varsity

The thing that makes me laugh about this debate is that it's a bloody pagan holiday anyway. Maybe the pagans just want it back. Happy Saturnalia everybody!
-Mojo Jojo- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 02:33 PM   #18
biological warrior
High School Varsity

Do some ''Christians'' consider catholics non-christians and if so why? Catholics have preserved Christianity and, the western tradition from annihilation many a times. Oh and as for me Im comfortable eough with my Christianity to say happy holidays to others. Remember nobody is forcing us Christians to not say ''Merry Christmas.''
biological warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 03:08 PM   #19
Airhog
Captain Obvious

I would consider them to be a branch of christianity, much like I consider the baptists, or lutherins. While I do consider the Catholic beliefs to be different than other sects, I don't think they are different enough to consider them differently. That may just be me though

Old 12-25-2005, 03:23 PM   #20
hoosiergoody
Mascot

Merry Christmas. This is the time that we celebrate Christ's birth- that's why it is Christmas, not X-mas. I have yet to be offended by someone coming up to me and saying Happy Hanukkah or Happy Boxing Day (from my Canadian friends). Part of being "free" is the freedom to wish one a merry whatever-day-it-is. I am not free if as a Christian I have to "water-down" my greeting. My athiest friend celebrates Christmas in his way, yet he also has no problem with me wishing him a Merry Christmas greeting. If I am not mistaken, his Christmas cards even wished me the same thing (ironic, eh?)

The idea of gift-giving began when the wise men brought gifts to the Christ-child. Yes, it has commercialized quite a bit, but at this point what holiday/celebration has not done so over the past many years? Does that offend me? Not really. I love to see the lights on the Christmas tree and the presents everywhere too.

Sometimes being politically correct isn't the right thing to do. Therefore, Merry Christmas, and in return, through your own freedom of speech, you can wish me a merry whatever (no disrespect meant at all to any other holiday celebration), and I will thank you for sharing your joyous greeting with me.

Hoosiergoody
hoosiergoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 03:56 PM   #21
Klinglerware
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Mojo Jojo-
The thing that makes me laugh about this debate is that it's a bloody pagan holiday anyway. Maybe the pagans just want it back. Happy Saturnalia everybody!

Io Saturnalia!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturnalia
Klinglerware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 03:59 PM   #22
davidlando1
Mascot

First of all, Merry Christmas, Happy Hannakuah and Happy Kwanza to all. Maybe it's easier to just say happy holidays? I don't know, but I'm not that lazy. Why don't we just celebrate the diversity in this country, instead of trying to avoid it at all costs? Maybe it's only me who thinks this way, but I get offended at the Honda commercials that take the song "We Wish you a Merry Christmas" and change it to "We Wish you a happy holidays". The song is "We Wish you a Merry Christmas". Period.

FWIW, I am a Jew, always have been, always will be. I like Christmas, it does not offend me. Nor does anyone wishing me well by saying "Merry Christmas". I just really like the spirit of the season, goodwill to everyone, etc.

I just want to repeat "Let's celebrate our diversity, instead of avoiding it at all costs"
davidlando1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 04:15 PM   #23
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhog
I would consider them to be a branch of christianity, much like I consider the baptists, or lutherins. While I do consider the Catholic beliefs to be different than other sects, I don't think they are different enough to consider them differently. That may just be me though
That is funny, because all christian religions are considered to have branched from Catholicism. Bacially, Catholicism is the origination of Christianity. Lutherism and other non Catholic denominations all ultimately trace their roots back to Catholicism.

To add, all sects of christianity have differentiation in their beliefs, that is why they are different sects. But the grandfather of them all is Catholicism. To consider that it may not be Christian, is kinda funny.
Grammaticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 04:40 PM   #24
miked
College Starter

I'm pretty tired of it on all sides. I could care less whether the statehouse feels like putting a tree out front and calling it whatever they want. But why does it HAVE to be out there? Why do we HAVE to have a Christmas tree? I mean, I understand our country was founded on Judeo-Christian beliefs (or whatever you want to call it since I don't know how many Jews contributed to the constitution), but why do we HAVE to have 10 commandments on the courtroom walls and all that jazz. I just don't see why either side is fighting so hard for what seems to be pretty insignificant in the grand scheme of things.
miked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 01:06 AM   #25
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosiergoody
Merry Christmas. This is the time that we celebrate Christ's birth- that's why it is Christmas, not X-mas. I have yet to be offended by someone coming up to me and saying Happy Hanukkah or Happy Boxing Day (from my Canadian friends). Part of being "free" is the freedom to wish one a merry whatever-day-it-is. I am not free if as a Christian I have to "water-down" my greeting. My athiest friend celebrates Christmas in his way, yet he also has no problem with me wishing him a Merry Christmas greeting. If I am not mistaken, his Christmas cards even wished me the same thing (ironic, eh?)

The idea of gift-giving began when the wise men brought gifts to the Christ-child. Yes, it has commercialized quite a bit, but at this point what holiday/celebration has not done so over the past many years? Does that offend me? Not really. I love to see the lights on the Christmas tree and the presents everywhere too.

Sometimes being politically correct isn't the right thing to do. Therefore, Merry Christmas, and in return, through your own freedom of speech, you can wish me a merry whatever (no disrespect meant at all to any other holiday celebration), and I will thank you for sharing your joyous greeting with me.

Hoosiergoody

Fyi. Christmas is a lot of things, but the date is not the date of Christ's birth, as anyone who's done their research should know - it was moved to coincide with what was then a pagan festival. It is a commercial holiday today - no doubt about that.

In any case, hope everyone had a good one.

Last edited by Crapshoot : 12-26-2005 at 01:07 AM.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 01:13 AM   #26
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidlando1
Maybe it's only me who thinks this way, but I get offended at the Honda commercials that take the song "We Wish you a Merry Christmas" and change it to "We Wish you a happy holidays". The song is "We Wish you a Merry Christmas". Period.

The line in the commercial is actually "We wish you a happy Honda days"

It's sad that I know this.
Old 12-26-2005, 07:37 AM   #27
cody8200
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot
Fyi. Christmas is a lot of things, but the date is not the date of Christ's birth, as anyone who's done their research should know - it was moved to coincide with what was then a pagan festival. It is a commercial holiday today - no doubt about that.

Of course its not the actual date. The day is symbolic. Though it originally may have been picked for some other reason, it is now celebrated due to tradition. For Christians (which of course include catholics), the day represents Christ's birth, it is't the actual day of it.
cody8200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 08:54 AM   #28
hoosiergoody
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot

I have done my research, and I am aware of this. Thank you for pointing it out though, as it does aide in the argument of commercialization/paganization of the holiday. I was also trying to point out that some of the "commercialization" started with the gift-giving that the wise men did.

Hope all had a merry Christmas and that all will have a Happy New Year.
Old 12-26-2005, 12:37 PM   #29
MrBigglesworth
College Starter

Quote:
I was also trying to point out that some of the "commercialization" started with the gift-giving that the wise men did.
Gift giving was a tradition of the early Romans during Saturnalia, it did not start with the wise men.

Last edited by MrBigglesworth : 12-26-2005 at 12:37 PM.
Old 12-26-2005, 01:09 PM   #30
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBigglesworth
Gift giving was a tradition of the early Romans during Saturnalia, it did not start with the wise men.

Actually, if you were a true missionary of ill-will, you could go back further than the Romans.
Old 12-26-2005, 03:16 PM   #31
hoosiergoody
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grammaticus
That is funny, because all christian religions are considered to have branched from Catholicism. Bacially, Catholicism is the origination of Christianity. Lutherism and other non Catholic denominations all ultimately trace their roots back to Catholicism.

To add, all sects of christianity have differentiation in their beliefs, that is why they are different sects. But the grandfather of them all is Catholicism. To consider that it may not be Christian, is kinda funny.

Was Abraham catholic? Seems like catholicism doesn't go back quite that far... Just curious.
Old 12-26-2005, 03:18 PM   #32
hoosiergoody
Mascot

Quote:

To get really technical, gift-giving started with Cain and Abel. Presenting their sacrifice or gifts to God- Cain offering the fruits of the land, and Abel offering the requested animal sacrifice.

I could really stir things up by saying that the first gift given was Eve giving Adam the fruit to share in the garden of eden...
Old 12-26-2005, 03:19 PM   #33
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Was Abraham catholic? Seems like catholicism doesn't go back quite that far... Just curious.

If we are going to start correcting every misstatement or misconception in this thread, we will be very busy for a long time. Just keep in mind that most people who talk about religion don't know what they're talking about.

As for that particular question, if you were serious, here's a hint: The Catholic Church, for most of it's existence, conducted their masses in Latin.

knives out
Old 12-26-2005, 03:32 PM   #34
SFL Cat
College Starter

Quote:
Yeah, it's the non-Christians who are the offended ones in this country. It is the atheists, Jews, and Muslims organizing boycotts for saying 'Happy Holidays' and going on their nationally telvised shows talking about the War on Hanukkah.

The persecution complex of Christians always amazes me.

Sorry, being fed to lions and used as human torches to entertain the heathens tend to make us that way.
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 03:46 PM   #35
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFL Cat
Sorry, being fed to lions and used as human torches to entertain the heathens tend to make us that way.

Heh!!!!!

That's hillarious!

It's the old wounds, eh? 2,000+ years and such.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 04:01 PM   #36
SFL Cat
College Starter

Yes, in that particular instance I was speaking of Rome, but there are still a lot of places on this planet where it is very dangerous for a person to profess a belief in Christ.

This has been particularly true in Communist nations, where athiesm is the official government stance.

Last edited by SFL Cat : 12-26-2005 at 04:03 PM.
Old 12-26-2005, 04:46 PM   #37
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Yes, in that particular instance I was speaking of Rome, but there are still a lot of places on this planet where it is very dangerous for a person to profess a belief in Christ.

This has been particularly true in Communist nations, where athiesm is the official government stance.

How about South Florida?
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 12-26-2005, 04:49 PM   #38
SFL Cat
College Starter

Depends on where you live in South Florida.

Last edited by SFL Cat : 12-26-2005 at 04:51 PM.
Old 12-26-2005, 04:51 PM   #39
Jesse_Ewiak
Banned

C'mon, you know how dangerous it is to be a Christian in South Carolina or Nebraska.
Jesse_Ewiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 04:51 PM   #40
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

And people who profess a belief in Christ have made a lot of places on this planet very dangerous for people who don't. None of them are right, but there are very few religions that have a substantial following that have not or do not persecute those who do not believe.

If anything, I would think what happened in Rome or those other "very dangerous" places on this planet, would put things in perspective for Christians who live in America. To even imply that Christians are persecuted in America when compare it to actual occurences of persecution is silly.
Old 12-26-2005, 04:52 PM   #41
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue
And people who profess a belief in Christ have made a lot of places on this planet very dangerous for people who don't. None of them are right, but there are very few religions that have a substantial following that have not or do not persecute those who do not believe.

Buddhism

knives out
Old 12-26-2005, 04:54 PM   #42
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin
Buddhism

Yes. That would be an excellent example of one of the very few major religions that haven't/don't. Gotta love the Buddhists.
Old 12-26-2005, 04:59 PM   #43
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Yes. That would be an excellent example of one of the very few major religions that haven't/don't. Gotta love the Buddhists.

I would describe it as the only religion that has achieved primary status in a nation or empire that has not been accused of a single atrocity or of starting a war.

Judaism, as far as I can remember, has only in modern times achieved primary status in a nation. That nation has been accused of lots, but I think for the most part the religion itself escapes the blame.

knives out
Old 12-26-2005, 05:03 PM   #44
Easy Mac

Quote:

except Richard Gere, he persecutes gerbils.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 05:05 PM   #45
Easy Mac

Quote:

Reparations!!!! Reparations!!!!

Of course, that whole Salem witch thing never happened in America, let alone another country.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 07:45 PM   #46
hoosiergoody
Mascot

Quote:
If we are going to start correcting every misstatement or misconception in this thread, we will be very busy for a long time. Just keep in mind that most people who talk about religion don't know what they're talking about.

As for that particular question, if you were serious, here's a hint: The Catholic Church, for most of it's existence, conducted their masses in Latin.

Wasn't planning on going that route- correcting things. Just throwing a little fuel out there. Sorry if that ruffled feathers- I will back it down.

Feliz Navidad!
Old 12-27-2005, 01:00 AM   #47
MrBigglesworth
College Starter

Quote:
To get really technical, gift-giving started with Cain and Abel. Presenting their sacrifice or gifts to God- Cain offering the fruits of the land, and Abel offering the requested animal sacrifice.

I could really stir things up by saying that the first gift given was Eve giving Adam the fruit to share in the garden of eden...
I was talking about gift giving on the late December holiday, of course. It may go back further than the Romans, I have no idea what the Druids or whoever did for the solstice.
Old 12-27-2005, 03:28 AM   #48
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

Quote:

Well, I certainly won’t say that I know it all or am immune to misconceptions. I can tell you that I define Christians as those who profess belief in Jesus as Christ or following the religion based on the life and teachings of Jesus. That means that those who existed before Jesus, cannot be Christians. But it does not mean that Christians do not believe in the old testament, etc.

Since it is possible for anyone to have a personal definition of Christian, I do not mean to “correct” that. If you look at this subject from a historical perspective, Christianity is split from Judaism. The short of it is, the only reference to any organized church and the group that started calling themselves Christians shortly after the death of Christ, is catholic. This then split into Roman Catholic and Eastern Orthodox Church, then Protestantism, which continued to split.

If that is not how Christianity evolved, let me know what you think. Maybe I will learn something.

At the very least I will say that Catholics consider themselves to be Christians.
Grammaticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 07:27 AM   #49
Klinglerware
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grammaticus
Well, I certainly won’t say that I know it all or am immune to misconceptions. I can tell you that I define Christians as those who profess belief in Jesus as Christ or following the religion based on the life and teachings of Jesus. That means that those who existed before Jesus, cannot be Christians. But it does not mean that Christians do not believe in the old testament, etc.

Since it is possible for anyone to have a personal definition of Christian, I do not mean to “correct” that. If you look at this subject from a historical perspective, Christianity is split from Judaism. The short of it is, the only reference to any organized church and the group that started calling themselves Christians shortly after the death of Christ, is catholic. This then split into Roman Catholic and Eastern Orthodox Church, then Protestantism, which continued to split.

If that is not how Christianity evolved, let me know what you think. Maybe I will learn something.

At the very least I will say that Catholics consider themselves to be Christians.

Very well said--a succinct overview of the evolution of Christianity. To add, Christianity was probably not very cohesive for the first few decades after the death of Christ, though obviously the church of Rome (present day Roman Catholic Church) eventually took the lead. The split between the Roman Catholic Church and the various eastern (Greek, Russian, etc) churches happened beginning in the 11th century. Protestantism emerged in the 1500s, also split off from the Roman Catholic church. I hadn't realized it before, but when I did a little research on the timelines I found that evangelical christianity (popularly associated with Christian conservative activism in the US) is a fairly recent phenomenon (emerged in the 1880s) and began as a home-grown American movement.
Klinglerware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 09:12 PM   #50
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake
Can I steal this line as my sig? I love it.
Sure thing. Maybe we should trademark it?

It makes me wonder if G. Gordon Liddy has "Jack Booted Thugs" trademarked.

I've been away for the hollidays, but as soon as I hit the road I realized I should have added Christians to the list of people I offend and placed "Happy Hollidays" along with "Merry Christmas".
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote