Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-15-2005, 11:12 AM   #1
MikeVic
Head Coach

Computer Harddrive: ATA vs IDE?

I was wondering what the difference between the two types of harddrives is?

Also, would my motherboard need to support ATA? Or if my case has some ATA cables, is that good enough?

Thanks FOFC!

MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 11:19 AM   #2
dacman
College Benchwarmer

They use different connectors. The power connectors are usually different too. SATA is a little faster.

Your motherboard must support SATA (or you could buy a seperate controller, but that's not the best route unless you already have the hard drive).

Last edited by dacman : 12-15-2005 at 11:21 AM.
dacman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 11:25 AM   #3
MikeVic
Head Coach

My mobo is around 3 years old... looks like it's IDE then. :P Thanks.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:52 PM   #4
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I thought IDE and ATA were the same thing. SATA is a completely different animal, but I didn't see any mention of SATA in the original post.
Old 12-15-2005, 01:11 PM   #5
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Yeah, its IDE/ATA and SATA I believe. SATA being faster with much thinner cables, you need your motherboard to support it though.

Last edited by jeff061 : 12-15-2005 at 01:12 PM.
jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 01:25 PM   #6
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061
Yeah, its IDE/ATA and SATA I believe. SATA being faster with much thinner cables, you need your motherboard to support it though.

Oh yeah, I meant ATA... not SATA. I thought SATA was for RAID or something?

Is there a difference between ATA and IDE? My case has some ATA cables.. but my mobo has nothing different.
Old 12-15-2005, 01:39 PM   #7
dacman
College Benchwarmer

I didn't read very close. I assumed IDE vs. SATA because that's a fairly common question.

IDE uses Parallel ATA which is usually mentioned without the P (ATA100, ATA133, Ultra ATA133, etc)

SATA or Serial ATA (SATA150) is the one with different connectors.

Look for "IDE" mentioned anywhere and you should be safe (I'm assuming you were looking to purchase a new hard drive).
Old 12-15-2005, 02:02 PM   #8
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Yeah, like Dacman said .

SATA isn't used for RAID anymore than IDE/ATA. SATA is to IDE like the Pentium 4 is to the Pentium 3, to put it really simple.

Last edited by jeff061 : 12-15-2005 at 02:02 PM.
jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 02:40 PM   #9
MikeVic
Head Coach

Ok, so if IDE uses parallel ATA that means it's better... right? So maybe my case is saying serial ATA and I just read the ATA part. There are different looking power connectors, so that would make sense. And since my mobo is 3 years old, I'll just go with IDE. It'll be a year or so until I upgrade everything else anyway.
Old 12-15-2005, 02:50 PM   #10
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic
Ok, so if IDE uses parallel ATA that means it's better... right? So maybe my case is saying serial ATA and I just read the ATA part. There are different looking power connectors, so that would make sense. And since my mobo is 3 years old, I'll just go with IDE. It'll be a year or so until I upgrade everything else anyway.
IDE/ATA is the older and slower format. SATA is what they are trying to transition to.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 04:33 PM   #11
Airhog
Captain Obvious

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic

Actually the reverse is true. When you send a parellel signal, you have to make sure the timing is correct so that all lines of the signal reach their destination at the same time. Serial transfers do not need to worry about timing since the data is sent sequentially. In the early days, it was easier to send a quantity of data at a slow speed, then it was to send a few bits of data fast. Technology has caught up, and now we have the capability to send serial data much faster than we can send the same data parallel

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!
Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 05:03 PM   #12
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhog
Actually the reverse is true. When you send a parellel signal, you have to make sure the timing is correct so that all lines of the signal reach their destination at the same time. Serial transfers do not need to worry about timing since the data is sent sequentially. In the early days, it was easier to send a quantity of data at a slow speed, then it was to send a few bits of data fast. Technology has caught up, and now we have the capability to send serial data much faster than we can send the same data parallel

Thanks, makes sense.
Old 12-15-2005, 10:04 PM   #13
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhog

I never knew that, thanks!
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote