Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-12-2005, 05:04 PM   #1
Schmidty
Coordinator

Pet Peeve of the Day: 12-12-05

After a short hiatus, my wife sparked a Pet Peeve of mine last night.

I am a stickler for punctuality. Being late shows disrespect to whoever has set a time to be somewhere, so I always plan ahead and start preparing early.
Unfortunately, my wife (and most other women I've met) isn't so inclined. For example, this what happened last night (a typical occurance):

We both know that we have to be at our friend's house at 6:00 pm. Starting at around 4 pm, I start reminding her that we only have 2 hours, so she needs to start getting ready soon. She responds with an indignant, annoyed remark as usual. At 4:30 I remind her again and get the same response. I do the same thing at 5 pm, and at this point am getting very angry because I know what's going to happen. At around 5:15 pm, she says "Oh my, look at the time!! We're going to be late if we don't get going!!". I say "I've been ready for an hour and a half", to which she responds "Well, women take longer to get ready than men." That's an understatement.

As she runs to the bathroom to do her hair and make-up, I ask her if she wants me to get our daughter ready, but my wife says no she wants to pick out an outfit for her. I sit down and just try to get out of the way. For the next 20 minutes, my frenzied wife tries to get ready as fast as she can, but it's obviously not going well. She storms out of the bathroom and says "Why aren't you getting Lily ready?". I felt like banging my head against the wall.

Needless to say, we were like 15 minutes late to our friend's house. I wanted to tell my wife that I warned her, but I knew better.

Why is it so hard for some people to take a little extra time to be punctual, and why does it always seem to be women?

(By the way, I am expecting the women of FOFC to unleash their fury on me )

Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 05:10 PM   #2
st.cronin
General Manager

You really need to get over this one. It's never, ever, ever going to change, and if you let it get to you, you will die a bitter man.
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 05:14 PM   #3
Farrah Whitworth-Rahn
Red-Headed Vixen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty
I am a stickler for punctuality. Being late shows disrespect to whoever has set a time to be somewhere, so I always plan ahead and start preparing early.

Not from this woman of FOFC. I couldn't agree more.

I plan on being early, that way if something happens I'm right on time. In the rare event I'm going to be even five minutes late, I'll call ahead.

Edit to add: I've dropped friends for their habitual tardiness. And woe be the man that was late for a first date.

Last edited by Farrah Whitworth-Rahn : 12-12-2005 at 05:16 PM.
Farrah Whitworth-Rahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 05:21 PM   #4
Lorena
Unregistered

My best friend and her hubby are habitually late... for almost EVERYTHING! We make a joke of their tardiness and I would never.... EVER even think of dropping them for being fashionably late.
Lorena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 05:30 PM   #5
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

My wife has the same problem. I am always early to where ever I have to go, and she is always late to where ever she has to be. Both of our families have caught on to this and have started to tell us that we need to be places (if planned) an hour earlier so that we get there on time. I do the same thing. Using your example, if my friends wanted me over at 6pm, I would've told my wife we need to be there at 5PM, so we can get there at 6PM.

I'll go one step further than your peeve, in that my wife gets ready so late that she has to rush and leaves our place so messy, that its like a hurricane swept through.

I have just learned to let it go if setting the earlier time doesn't work. Just gives me more time for FOFC or something else while I wait.
In memory of Gavin Anthony: 7/22/08-7/26/08
gottimd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 05:31 PM   #6
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

I hate it women women are late for anything....dates, dinner, periods
Old 12-12-2005, 05:36 PM   #7
MacroGuru
Coordinator

My friend and his wife are at least an hour to an hour and a half late to everything....we call it SST, or Smith Standard Time for them......
Old 12-12-2005, 05:41 PM   #8
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Oh I am making sure Loren reads this thread tonight. She hasn't been on time for anything in her life. And I haven't since I have been with her.
Old 12-12-2005, 08:06 PM   #9
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I've always wondered why my family tells me a party is an hour earlier than it really is.

MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 08:36 PM   #10
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, you pretty much gotta lie to people if you want them on time.

And while we are on the topic, how about extending it to people who think that just cause they call you on their cell phone, and tell you they are gonna be late.....that it absolves them from being late. They are still fucking late to wherever they are supposed to be, and in a way, its almost premeditated lateness, since they know they can just whip out the phone and call and say they are running behind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by indoorsoccersim
My friend and his wife are at least an hour to an hour and a half late to everything....we call it SST, or Smith Standard Time for them......

Yeah, at work, sometimes i am known to show up on Steve Standard Time.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 12:34 AM   #11
LoneStarGirl
College Starter

I am never late. I had the same problem today Schmity, I am glad you brought it up. Tardiness is a sign of disrespect and is annoying as hell. I am always 5-10 minutes early... Oh and I dont appreciate the stereotype.
LoneStarGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 12:39 AM   #12
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

This one hit close to home. I hate being late as well. It was a good way to get chewed out when I was a student or intern, and it globalized to the rest of my life. However, my wife is NEVER ready to go on time anywhere. Today, we went to dinner and a movie, and I had to tell a white lie that the movie started a half hour earlier than usual, just to make sure we didn't miss the beginning. Tomorrow night, we are going to visit her Grandparents in the evening, and I have no doubt that we will be late to the planned visit time. It annoys me so much. I can't imagine how much worse it will be once we have kids.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 12:40 AM   #13
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

I can't help but always be late. I swear time speeds up on me when I turn my head. It's a conspiracy.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 04:34 AM   #14
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
I can't imagine how much worse it will be once we have kids.

Much worse. When its a baby, its like you are moving every time you leave the house, since you have to pack everything you own into one inadequate little diaper bag.
Old 12-13-2005, 06:42 AM   #15
Farrah Whitworth-Rahn
Red-Headed Vixen

Quote:
This one hit close to home. I hate being late as well. It was a good way to get chewed out when I was a student or intern, and it globalized to the rest of my life. However, my wife is NEVER ready to go on time anywhere. Today, we went to dinner and a movie, and I had to tell a white lie that the movie started a half hour earlier than usual, just to make sure we didn't miss the beginning. Tomorrow night, we are going to visit her Grandparents in the evening, and I have no doubt that we will be late to the planned visit time. It annoys me so much. I can't imagine how much worse it will be once we have kids.
It's going to be way worse. You'll be waiting on both the baby and her. And you can't really control how fast the baby eats, or whether he spits up all over himself (or you) as you're walking out the door. Rule of thumb for around the Rahn residence is plan to leave a half hour earlier than you normally would, then you'll leave on time.
Farrah Whitworth-Rahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 06:48 AM   #16
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farrah Whitworth-Rahn
It's going to be way worse. You'll be waiting on both the baby and her. And you can't really control how fast the baby eats, or whether he spits up all over himself (or you) as you're walking out the door. Rule of thumb for around the Rahn residence is plan to leave a half hour earlier than you normally would, then you'll leave on time.

But its a baby which is understandable. The Wife/Girl Friend is an adult and should know about being on time.

I'd like to tack onto this pet peeve, for the person who is habitually late. Why set your damn alarm clock so early if you are just gonna press snooze, BUT, the alarm clock wakes your significant other up at a god awful hour who is a light sleeper. You are gonna be late anyways, what the hell is the point of an alarm clock for people like that? To wake their spouse up an hour before they have to actually get up?
Old 12-13-2005, 08:30 AM   #17
Subby
lolzcat

Being late is awesome because it pisses off the anal retentive nerdlings that inhabit our planet.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 08:45 AM   #18
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Today, we went to dinner and a movie, and I had to tell a white lie that the movie started a half hour earlier than usual, just to make sure we didn't miss the beginning.

I have almost the opposite problem. While it takes my fiancee' forever to get ready to go anywhere, she's not too bad about getting started early enought that we're on time. However, if we're going to a movie, she insists that we get to the theater 30-45 minutes before the movie starts so that we can get good seats.

I HATE sitting in the theater with nothing to do just waiting for the movie to start...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 08:46 AM   #19
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

Location: Caught somewhere between Raising Hell and Amazing Grace...
Count me in as another FOFC woman who HATES being late! I usually try to leave 5 - 10 minutes earlier than I have to when I am going somewhere, this way if I hit traffic or have to stop and get gas (I always forget when I need it), I don't have to worry about being late. I also (usually) get ready early, I'd rather sit around for a few minutes and relax than be rushing to get out the door.

However radii is the opposite...he isn't someone who is late, but if we have to be somewhere at 6:00 and we are planning on leaving at 5:45, he'll jump in the shower at 5:30 and have me on pins and needles looking at the clock until he walks out at exactly 5:45 and says he is ready to go. And if I tell him to meet me somewhere at a certain time, he leaves JUST enough time to get there - no "cushion" for traffic, etc... We "discussed" this a couple times when I would fuss at him but I realize it's just him and it's not going to change. Oh well
oliegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 08:57 AM   #20
Ramzavail
College Starter

My girlfriend is always late for everything, and I've grown used to the idea after 8 years and now I've become late for everything. I've actually started to enjoy being late for smaller events (ie. not surprise parties)

This is what I say. Lie to your girlfriend or wife. If you have to be somewhere at 4, tell her 3 and you'll be on time.

My girlfriend blames me when I get mad when she's late for big events, weddings, surprise parties all because I didn't lie to her about the time that we need to be there.
Ramzavail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 09:09 AM   #21
Radii
Head Coach

no comment, but remember you're not getting the whole story here! i'm innocent
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 09:10 AM   #22
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii
no comment, but remember you're not getting the whole story here! i'm innocent

That's what Tookie said, and look what happened to him!
Old 12-13-2005, 09:24 AM   #23
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Why wife is exactly the opposite. She'll get to the doctor's office 20 mins early so she can sit around an hour before our name gets called. I admire her punctuality, I just wish she was selective with it.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 09:48 AM   #24
Bee
Pro Starter

I'm usually too early. When we go to a party or visit friends and are supposed to be there at a certain time, my wife ends up making me drive around until it's time to show up.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 09:54 AM   #25
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD
I have almost the opposite problem. While it takes my fiancee' forever to get ready to go anywhere, she's not too bad about getting started early enought that we're on time. However, if we're going to a movie, she insists that we get to the theater 30-45 minutes before the movie starts so that we can get good seats.

I HATE sitting in the theater with nothing to do just waiting for the movie to start...

Well, you could....you know....talk to each other.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 09:55 AM   #26
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

Quote:

Its better than being those jackasses who come in to the movie 10-20 minutes late and make/expect everyone to shift a seat so the two of them can sit together
Old 12-13-2005, 09:59 AM   #27
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
After a short hiatus, my wife sparked a Pet Peeve of mine last night.

Unfortunately, my wife (and most other women I've met) isn't so inclined. For example, this what happened last night (a typical occurance):

We both know that we have to be at our friend's house at 6:00 pm. Starting at around 4 pm, I start reminding her that we only have 2 hours, so she needs to start getting ready soon. She responds with an indignant, annoyed remark as usual. At 4:30 I remind her again and get the same response. I do the same thing at 5 pm, and at this point am getting very angry because I know what's going to happen. At around 5:15 pm, she says "Oh my, look at the time!! We're going to be late if we don't get going!!". I say "I've been ready for an hour and a half", to which she responds "Well, women take longer to get ready than men." That's an understatement.

As she runs to the bathroom to do her hair and make-up, I ask her if she wants me to get our daughter ready, but my wife says no she wants to pick out an outfit for her. I sit down and just try to get out of the way. For the next 20 minutes, my frenzied wife tries to get ready as fast as she can, but it's obviously not going well. She storms out of the bathroom and says "Why aren't you getting Lily ready?". I felt like banging my head against the wall.

Needless to say, we were like 15 minutes late to our friend's house. I wanted to tell my wife that I warned her, but I knew better.

Why is it so hard for some people to take a little extra time to be punctual, and why does it always seem to be women?

Is this a new thing? Was this what happened when you were dating or is this something that just just came up?

If it happened all along, I have little empathy for you. You HAD control about being ontime to your functions, you made a decision that your love for her could overcome that flaw. Put the pet peeve to bed if that's the case.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 10:04 AM   #28
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF
Is this a new thing? Was this what happened when you were dating or is this something that just just came up?

If it happened all along, I have little empathy for you. You HAD control about being ontime to your functions, you made a decision that your love for her could overcome that flaw. Put the pet peeve to bed if that's the case.

I agree with this. I knew Mrs. Eaglesfan was often late to things when we started dating (I think our first date was the only one where she was actually on time.) I fell in love with her despite this flaw, and I have come to accept it. It doesn't mean that it can't annoy me some

I'm sure I do little things that annoy her as well.
Old 12-13-2005, 10:17 AM   #29
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

Quote:
I agree with this. I knew Mrs. Eaglesfan was often late to things when we started dating (I think our first date was the only one where she was actually on time.) I fell in love with her despite this flaw, and I have come to accept it. It doesn't mean that it can't annoy me some

I'm sure I do little things that annoy her as well.

Wait, do you agree or disagree? I am confused by your post...
Old 12-13-2005, 12:40 PM   #30
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:

I think I can still love her, be happy that I married her, and still be annoyed as hell by her bad habits.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:44 PM   #31
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Can't I do both. I agree that I made a choice to marry a woman who I knew was going to lack punctuality. Yet, I disagree in the respect that I think Schmidty and I both still have the right to be annoyed by our wive's lack of punctuality and we can continue to have that pet peeve, as long as it doesn't become destructive to the marriage. The point being is that most spouses have pet peeves that annoy the other, but we make a choice to deal with that annoyance, because overall we love the person we are with. Or at least, I think that is the case in many good marriages.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:04 PM   #32
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

Quote:
Can't I do both. I agree that I made a choice to marry a woman who I knew was going to lack punctuality. Yet, I disagree in the respect that I think Schmidty and I both still have the right to be annoyed by our wive's lack of punctuality and we can continue to have that pet peeve, as long as it doesn't become destructive to the marriage. The point being is that most spouses have pet peeves that annoy the other, but we make a choice to deal with that annoyance, because overall we love the person we are with. Or at least, I think that is the case in many good marriages.

That is what I thought...I just thought with the "I agree" comment you were agreeing with TroyF that he needed to put the pet peeve to bed, but then you said it was OK to have pet peeves about your sig. other.

I think it's OK - radii drives me nuts on a daily basis but I still love and adore him!

OK - well, maybe not a daily basis, but it feels like it sometimes!!!!
Old 12-13-2005, 02:34 PM   #33
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

I've been known for leaving people behind if they're late. Especially people who are habitually late. No reason why I should waste my time for them.
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 02:50 PM   #34
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
I think I can still love her, be happy that I married her, and still be annoyed as hell by her bad habits.

Sure. . . but what good is it going to do? She didn't fool you. She is what she is. I'm not saying you can't be annoyed by certain things your S.O. does, but I fail to have any sympathy at all for someone who chose to accept the pet peeve. She changed after you were married, that's one thing. But if she's always been that way, you've already made the decision it isn't that big of a deal.

Of course, I should have stayed out of this thread. My pet peeve? People who have 1,000,000 pet peeves. A pet peeve is just that, a specific thing that annoys you. If you have a million of them, you either need to become a comedian or a guy in a bathrobe who throws beer cans and screams at cars that go to fast in front of your house.
Old 12-13-2005, 03:00 PM   #35
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
If you have a million of them, you either need to become a comedian or a guy in a bathrobe who throws beer cans and screams at cars that go to fast in front of your house.

What I need is for you to lighten up. I have fun with the Pet Peeve threads. If you don't like them, don't fucking read them.
Old 12-13-2005, 03:01 PM   #36
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
...or a guy in a bathrobe who throws beer cans and screams at cars that go to fast in front of your house.

I think Jim's already got that role covered...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 03:04 PM   #37
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
What I need is for you to lighten up. I have fun with the Pet Peeve threads. If you don't like them, don't fucking read them.

Reread what you just wrote 15 times, then tell me "I'm" the one that needs to lighten up.
Old 12-13-2005, 03:08 PM   #38
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Reread what you just wrote 15 times, then tell me "I'm" the one that needs to lighten up.

I knew you were going to say that. Read this slowly (and refer to my last post): I enjoy these threads. A lot of it is tongue-in-cheek, and a lot of other people seem to enjoy them too.

Again, if you don't enjoy the threads, don't read them. Stop trying to troll in them and pick a fight with me because you don't agree with the content.

Last edited by Schmidty : 12-13-2005 at 03:09 PM.
Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 03:20 PM   #39
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
I knew you were going to say that. Read this slowly (and refer to my last post): I enjoy these threads. A lot of it is tongue-in-cheek, and a lot of other people seem to enjoy them too.

Again, if you don't enjoy the threads, don't read them. Stop trying to troll in them and pick a fight with me because you don't agree with the content.

lighten up Francis. You have a PM.

Last edited by TroyF : 12-13-2005 at 03:20 PM.
Old 12-13-2005, 03:23 PM   #40
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
lighten up Francis. You have a PM.

It would have been funnier if you had said I have PMS.
Old 12-13-2005, 03:48 PM   #41
JasonC23
High School Varsity

Quote:

Didn't Alanis Morissette have some good advice on what to do in these situations?
Old 12-13-2005, 04:06 PM   #42
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

A whole day of arguing and no pet peeve of the day for 12-13-05. Maybe it should change to Pet Peeve of the Week?
Old 12-13-2005, 04:22 PM   #43
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottimd
A whole day of arguing and no pet peeve of the day for 12-13-05. Maybe it should change to Pet Peeve of the Week?

Hey man, I've only missed like one day.

Don't worry, today's pet peeve will be posted shortly.
Old 12-13-2005, 04:28 PM   #44
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

Quote:
Hey man, I've only missed like one day.

Don't worry, today's pet peeve will be posted shortly.

I'm guessing it's people who don't like the content of the thread but read them and post in them anyway????
Old 12-13-2005, 04:30 PM   #45
Subby
lolzcat

I hate it when people are late posting their pet peeve of the day. So inconsiderate.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

Old 12-13-2005, 04:42 PM   #46
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
I hate it when people are late posting their pet peeve of the day. So inconsiderate.

Then you should not have signed up for this forum.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 04:43 PM   #47
Subby
lolzcat

Zip it, gramps...