Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-12-2005, 02:56 PM   #1
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

(WC06) Italy=Whiny Bastards. Again.

Only reason I knew this is my teacher in courses today is a footy fanatic, and he pointed me to this article.

BERLIN (AFP) - West Germany's 1990 World Cup winning captain Lothar Matthaus has hit back at a report in Italy that he manipulated Friday's 2006 World Cup draw.

Matthaus had the task of drawing teams from Pot Four and Italian television channel Sky Italia reportedly accused him of picking up a ball for Italy's group before putting it back into the bowl to pull out another instead.

The television channel claimed prepared hot and cold balls allowed Matthaus to know who he was picking, as he pulled out the United States, seventh in the FIFA rankings, for Italy's group.

"The Italians are mad if they think that," former Inter Milan star Matthaus informed Bild daily.

"I had no idea which ball corresponded to which team. That is utter nonsense."

Italy were handed a tough draw for the 2006 World Cup finals, running from June 9 until July 9, with the Czech Republic, Ghana and the United States their three opponents in Group E.

Link to Yahoo Article

SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 03:00 PM   #2
moriarty
College Starter

Wow, the Italians are actually concerned about playing the US? I would have figured they thought it was an easy draw for them.
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 03:09 PM   #3
Coder
College Prospect

The Italians are very quick at crying wolf.. Like last year, in the European Championships, Sweden and Denmark had to draw 2-2 to ensure that both teams went on from the group stage.

The first few days leading up to the game, Italian reporters and players and coaches alike all discussed this, saying "you better not play 2-2", "you better not cheat" etc etc..

Then the score happened to be 2-2, and guess who's fault it was that the Italians didn't get out of the group stage? Was it the coach? The players? The tough schedule? Were the opponents too good?

No.. it was Sweden and Denmark cheating to play 2-2!!!!

It seems that the Italians are already preparing their accusations for when they fail to advance in the World Cup next year.. it won't be their own fault.. their players are not to blame, nor are their coaches. The opponents aren't too good, it's just that Lothar Mattheus picked the wrong balls.. it's outrageous I tell you.. it's all one big conspiracy!!

~ I am an idiot, walking a tight rope of fortunate things ~
Coder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 03:11 PM   #4
bhlloy
Coordinator

When you look at who else they could have got in that pot I think it's a pretty big deal. The US were by a million miles the best team that they could have got in that particular slot.

Don't sell yourself short either, Italy can be very inconsistent and the US are building up nicely. I think you have a great shot at winning the group.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 03:13 PM   #5
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

wasn't this also said of the last draw? I feel like the "hot/cold balls" thing is brought up everytime there's a ping-pong ball draw. NFL draft...NBA draft...etc.

i just laugh it off, it's part of the ping-pong balls thing now. i wouldn't even think there's 1/100th of a chance it's true, but there's a 99.5/100 chance it will get brought up.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 04:52 PM   #6
Emiliano
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coder
The Italians are very quick at crying wolf.. Like last year, in the European Championships, Sweden and Denmark had to draw 2-2 to ensure that both teams went on from the group stage.

The first few days leading up to the game, Italian reporters and players and coaches alike all discussed this, saying "you better not play 2-2", "you better not cheat" etc etc..

Then the score happened to be 2-2, and guess who's fault it was that the Italians didn't get out of the group stage? Was it the coach? The players? The tough schedule? Were the opponents too good?

No.. it was Sweden and Denmark cheating to play 2-2!!!!

It seems that the Italians are already preparing their accusations for when they fail to advance in the World Cup next year.. it won't be their own fault.. their players are not to blame, nor are their coaches. The opponents aren't too good, it's just that Lothar Mattheus picked the wrong balls.. it's outrageous I tell you.. it's all one big conspiracy!!
100% true. You pictured the situation perfectly. What a shame.

I don't know if it was in the last Euro or the last World Cup, but maybe you heard of the Danish guy (I think, because I don't follow real-life soccer anymore...) who was spitted in his face by Totti, who was then ejected.
Well, for the entire following week EVERY italian media was bitching about how much the Danish guy provoked Totti to get spitted!!!!! They actually talked ONLY about that. Not about the awful players/coaches/managers that they have. It was pityful. Really, this went on an entire week. And this is just the first example that comes to my mind...

I really hope that they lose all the games; I will post the new excuses then...
Emiliano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 05:00 PM   #7
SackAttack
Head Coach

Don't I remember a player (who played for some Italian league team or other during non-international competition) scoring a goal in the last WC to defeat Italy, and promptly getting released by his team for his temerity?
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 05:10 PM   #8
AlexB
Pro Starter

Ahn of South Korea - the president said that he would be sacked, but in the end he transferred him/free transferred him away...
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 05:46 PM   #9
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

And it went further then that..

Selected Post WC2002 Italy Elimination quotes.

Raffaele Ranucci, the head of the Italian delegation to the World Cup: "Korea is a powerful country. It's clear that they would have done something."

Franco Frattini, a minister in the Italian government: "It seemed like they got around a table and decided in advance to throw us out."

Luciano Gaucci, chairman of Serie A club, Perugia: Ahn Jung-Hwan (scorer of Korea's winning goal) would "never set foot in Perugia again". "He (Ahn Jung-Hwan) was a phenomenon only when he played against Italy. I am a nationalist and I regard such behaviour not only as an affront to Italian pride but also an offence to a country which two years ago opened its doors to him. I have no intention of paying a salary to someone who has ruined Italian soccer."

Francesco Totti, who deservedly received a second yellow for taking a dive: "It was a scandal. The truth is he (the referee) had his mind set against us - this was a desired elimination. By who? I don't know - there are things greater than me but the feeling is that they wanted us out."

Umberto Leone, a director of Panini, which decided to withdraw over two million collectible playing cards featuring members of the Italian team: "We were left indignant after the South Korea game which went against the image of clean football we have promoted for so long."

La Gazzetta dello Sport: "Italy counts for nothing in places where they decide results and put together million dollar deals ... Shame on you gentlemen of FIFA and your dirty games."

Corriere della Sera: "Italy has been thrown out of a dirty World Cup where referees and linesmen are used as hitmen ... No other team in the entire history of the World Cup has suffered so many injustices."

Can someone call a country sized WAAAAHHHHMBULANCE for these yoyos?
Old 12-12-2005, 05:49 PM   #10
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Ok, it's official. The Italians are evil. I shall dislike them from now on.
Old 12-12-2005, 05:50 PM   #11
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

nice quotes foz
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 06:46 PM   #12
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer
Ok, it's official. The Italians are evil. I shall dislike them from now on.
On the bandwagon.
We either have to beat them or the Czechs, and I like Nedved from CM/FM experience...so BEAT the WOPS!!!!
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 08:24 PM   #13
Blade6119
Coordinator

Italy coach Marcello Lippi put a brave face on his side's difficult Group E draw, where they must play Ghana, USA and Czech Republic.

He said: 'The teams we will face are strong and difficult. I know Italy is not inferior to any of these teams but neither are we superior to them.'

I have to give their head coach credit for that comment...its about as nice of a comment i can see a top seed saying about their group....
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 06:30 AM   #14
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade6119
Italy coach Marcello Lippi put a brave face on his side's difficult Group E draw, where they must play Ghana, USA and Czech Republic.

He said: 'The teams we will face are strong and difficult. I know Italy is not inferior to any of these teams but neither are we superior to them.'

I have to give their head coach credit for that comment...its about as nice of a comment i can see a top seed saying about their group....
Or he's realistic and understands that the current Italian team isn't the world power they are often taken for. Italy really struggled early in the qualification round.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 12:01 PM   #15
Desnudo
Coordinator

The ball draw thing I find hilarious. If anything, I would think that Germany would want to stick it to Brazil, and possible England.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 12:07 PM   #16
Galaxy
Coordinator

I wonder if the US made to the final four, and even won it, would the world hate us even more?
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 12:09 PM   #17
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy
I wonder if the US made to the final four, and even won it, would the world hate us even more?

Not likely, but they would think it was an utter and total fluke...which i have to agree with...we should get second in our group and earn the right to play brazil...
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 12:17 PM   #18
MIJB#19
Coordinator

If the USA wins it all, it only proves that 2002 wasn't a fluke, but 2006 will be until their repeat win 2010.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 12:28 PM   #19
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade6119
Not likely, but they would think it was an utter and total fluke...which i have to agree with...we should get second in our group and earn the right to play brazil...

If you do finish second, or come close to it, I think people will look at 2002 more favourably. 2nd in that group will be an excellent achievement: the good thing could be that everyone could take points off each other, and keep it tight
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote