Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-16-2005, 12:59 PM   #1
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Wanna get paid to watch baseball?

Looks like there might just be a way. I'm cutting & pasting from a post at a tabletop sports game forum, sure enough, the link to Monster.com appears to be legit, so I'm guessing that the guy might be legit too.

MLB.com is looking for stringers to score games at the ballpark in these areas...Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Tampa, San Francisco/Oakland, Los Angeles/Anaheim, Baltimore/Washington D.C. and Fort Worth.

To apply, use the link below. If you have any other questions, contact me at this forum or at [email protected]. Thanks!

http://jobsearch.mlb.careers.monster.com/

Here's a little more about the job with a description:

Prior to the season we lead an intensive training period to educate new scorers with our scoring language and software. Once the season starts, we arrange credentials with the team, and once the game starts, we provide the laptop to score the game and of course live support to ensure that everything goes off without a hitch.

The basic job responsibilities of our scorers are as follows:

* Arrive at the ballpark no later than one hour prior to the scheduled start time;
* Double-check and verify all pre-game information: rosters, umpires, weather conditions, etc.;
* During the game, enter the results of every pitch and game event (plays, substitutions, etc.) using our proprietary software and coding language;
* Work closely with our game-night support staff (via AOL IM and/or phone) to ensure proper scoring of all game events and accuracy of data;
* After the game, enter all post-game information: winning and losing pitcher, saves, holds, time and attendance
* Validate all stats in your box score against the official box score provided by the Official Scorer, and print out a final box score and game text for the club PR staff

Key qualifications for the position:

* Exceptional knowledge of baseball and how to score a baseball game;
* Strong computer proficiency (Windows OS and Windows-based software) and the ability to quickly learn and operate new software;
* Availability to attend games in person, both day and night, during the week and on weekends;
* A "team player" with a great attitude, including but not limited to a willingness to make and learn from mistakes and the ability to work closely and cooperatively (and take direction from) our game-night staff;
* Professionalism. It's a fun job and we pay people to watch baseball, but it's also an important job and we want people who will take the responsibility seriously.

JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 01:01 PM   #2
SackAttack
Head Coach

Dude. Los Angeles.

I wonder if the / indicates both the Dodgers and the Angels, or just an uncertainty over how to refer to the Angels.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 01:01 PM   #3
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

As long as I can be on roids when I score games and they won't care, I'm there.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 01:02 PM   #4
QuikSand
lolzcat

Monkey work.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 01:02 PM   #5
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack
Dude. Los Angeles.

I wonder if the / indicates both the Dodgers and the Angels, or just an uncertainty over how to refer to the Angels.

LOL, believe it or not, I thought of you when I saw this.
Old 11-16-2005, 01:04 PM   #6
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

i would love this job in a few years. right now it's too much of a time commitment. I'd never see my kids.

Or so I will keep telling myself because I would really like to apply for this.
Old 11-16-2005, 01:04 PM   #7
SackAttack
Head Coach

I believe it.

The problem is, they ask for a 'demonstrable' knowledge of how to score a game, and while I'm certain I could, the only time I ever have was one game in the 1991 World Series when I was 10 years old.

So, uh, I'm thinking I probably wouldn't get very far if I applied.
Old 11-16-2005, 01:08 PM   #8
QuikSand
lolzcat

Really now, if you wanted this job badly -- how many hours could it possbly take to establish quick command of the rules of scoring a baseball game? Ten hours, maybe? With rigorous use of flashcards or whatnot? And that's starting from scratch.

Most kids learn the basics by the second inning. Josh, you're smart enough to learn the whole thing by the end of one game, I'd bet.

It's not like they want you to be fluent in Latin. It's scoring a ballgame.
Old 11-16-2005, 01:09 PM   #9
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I believe it.

The problem is, they ask for a 'demonstrable' knowledge of how to score a game, and while I'm certain I could, the only time I ever have was one game in the 1991 World Series when I was 10 years old.

Based on what I've seen from you, about a half hour & you'd have the basics down pretty well. 10-15 games scored from tape or whatever & I'd bet you'd have it down cold.

(We may not agree on some serious shit, but I'm dead serious that I think you could knock this out waaaaay easy if you decided to apply yourself to it).
Old 11-16-2005, 01:09 PM   #10
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
I believe it.

Don't sell yourself short. You're a tremendous slouch.
Old 11-16-2005, 01:11 PM   #11
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

I wonder what it pays
Old 11-16-2005, 01:12 PM   #12
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger
I wonder what it pays

All the bananas you can eat.
Old 11-16-2005, 01:12 PM   #13
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
I wonder what it pays

can't be much. they will probably have 10 trillion applicants.
Old 11-16-2005, 01:13 PM   #14
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand
Really now, if you wanted this job badly -- how many hours could it possbly take to establish quick command of the rules of scoring a baseball game? Ten hours, maybe? With rigorous use of flashcards or whatnot? And that's starting from scratch.

Most kids learn the basics by the second inning. Josh, you're smart enough to learn the whole thing by the end of one game, I'd bet.

It's not like they want you to be fluent in Latin. It's scoring a ballgame.

Just score one Tony LaRussa-managed game, and not only will you know all the rules, but you'll have plenty of time to look the shit you don't know up on the internet while he's making all of his moves.

The one thing I'm a bit uncertain about - are they looking for people who can call pitches? Cause I can't do that with too much accuracy. Balls, strikes, sure. Splitter, 2-seam FB, forkball, slider...no.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 11-16-2005, 01:15 PM   #15
rkmsuf
Head Coach

No way they'd have this guy call individual pitches. Just the result of the pitch.
Old 11-16-2005, 01:16 PM   #16
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf
can't be much. they will probably have 10 trillion applicants.

That's where I'm coming from. It isn't a matter of "I can't do it," so much as it is a matter of "there have to be dozens of people who already have it down cold, and how many openings are they realistically going to have in Los Angeles?"

I'd love to do it. I think it'd be a blast. I think if I got the position, I could take the ball and run with it.

But if you have a pool of, say, 100 applicants, and even half of those can already demonstrate X number of years' scoring experience, how far into the process am I likely to get?

That's where I'm coming from.
Old 11-16-2005, 01:17 PM   #17
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
Just score one Tony LaRussa-managed game, and not only will you know all the rules, but you'll have plenty of time to look the shit you don't know up on the internet while he's making all of his moves.

The one thing I'm a bit uncertain about - are they looking for people who can call pitches? Cause I can't do that with too much accuracy. Balls, strikes, sure. Splitter, 2-seam FB, forkball, slider...no.

I don't remember if MLB.com does this. I think the stringers are used for both regular scoring but also for their play-by-play that updates on the site while the game is being played.

I read the Monster thing, and I think it DID mention pitch-by-pitch, but didn't mention whether you had to be able to identify the pitches, I think.
Old 11-16-2005, 01:18 PM   #18
SackAttack
Head Coach

Dola,

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringer listing
During the game, enter the results of every pitch and game event (plays, substitutions, etc.) using our proprietary software and coding language.
Old 11-16-2005, 01:19 PM   #19
rkmsuf
Head Coach

It's amazing how many people are required for a foolish game now. Not just an official scorer or two but an army of stringers to report on the lastest fastball thrown.
Old 11-16-2005, 01:20 PM   #20
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf
No way they'd have this guy call individual pitches. Just the result of the pitch.

Slouch.
Old 11-16-2005, 01:21 PM   #21
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Quote:
Prior to the season we lead an intensive training period to educate new scorers with our scoring language and software...
Fine print:
Quote:
We are pleased to introduce TimMcCarver as the narrator of our training regimen

Last edited by WSUCougar : 11-16-2005 at 01:21 PM.
WSUCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 01:21 PM   #22
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
Slouch.

danke
Old 11-16-2005, 01:22 PM   #23
McSweeny
College Starter

too bad they aren't hiring any one in Boston, i grew up scoring baseball games and it'd be a great way to catch all the Red Sox home games for free
McSweeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 01:22 PM   #24
QuikSand
lolzcat

Seems to me that even if you currently have trouble identifying pitches, after a week or so on the job, riveted to your seat for the whole time and popping your eyes out at every twitch of "action" on the diamond, it would come to you pretty quickly.
Old 11-16-2005, 01:23 PM   #25
Hammer755
High School Varsity

Looks like the Red Sox are getting desperate.

Old 11-16-2005, 01:24 PM   #26
McSweeny
College Starter

nice! i'm applying for the GM job, if Bowden can get an interview i sure as hell can
McSweeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 01:32 PM   #27
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

I'd love to do this, but only if they paid enough to make the commute from SJ worth it.
Old 11-16-2005, 01:34 PM   #28
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSweeny
nice! i'm applying for the GM job, if Bowden can get an interview i sure as hell can
Resume

Prior Experience:
15 consecutive World Series titles with the Devil Rays in OOTP 6.5

"Uh, Mr. McSweeny..."
Old 11-16-2005, 01:38 PM   #29
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSUCougar
Resume

Prior Experience:
15 consecutive World Series titles with the Devil Rays in OOTP 6.5

"Uh, Mr. McSweeny..."

MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 01:40 PM   #30
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I should apply for the job in Pittsburgh. I just have to make sure that I have the "blown save" notation down cold.
Old 11-16-2005, 01:43 PM   #31
rkmsuf
Head Coach

I can picture Jim Belushi at the training session a la the SNL chess coach skit.

"You call that a caught stealing symbol!"

Last edited by rkmsuf : 11-16-2005 at 01:43 PM.
rkmsuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 01:52 PM   #32
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

MLB.com is looking for stringers to score games at the ballpark in these areas...Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Tampa, San Francisco/Oakland, Los Angeles/Anaheim, Baltimore/Washington D.C. and Fort Worth.

Fort Worth? not Arlington or Dallas. Just a little odd.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 01:54 PM   #33
Ksyrup

They're looking for a different perspective on the Rangers' games.
Old 11-16-2005, 01:55 PM   #34
QuikSand
lolzcat

And what stadium is in: Baltimore/Washington D.C.

Maybe these are somehow references to a certain list of metro areas (selected from a menu) rather than just a free-form list. Just a thought.
Old 11-16-2005, 01:58 PM   #35
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator

Fort Worth? not Arlington or Dallas. Just a little odd.
Well that stadium isn't in Dallas nor Arlington, right?
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 01:58 PM   #36
Vince
Pro Starter

This sounds an awful lot like a gig my friend had for a while being a scorekeeper for the Tacoma Rainiers. Are we certain this is major league baseball? Not that it still isn't a cool job, but still.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 01:58 PM   #37
SackAttack
Head Coach

When you go to the monster site, you have to select a team, so I dunno if it's a "metro" thing.

As for Baltimore/Washington D.C., QS, wouldn't that be RFK?
Old 11-16-2005, 01:59 PM   #38
Vince
Pro Starter

I know it's MLB.com, but do they have any affiliation with the minor leagues?
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Old 11-16-2005, 02:00 PM   #39
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
When you go to the monster site, you have to select a team, so I dunno if it's a "metro" thing.

As for Baltimore/Washington D.C., QS, wouldn't that be RFK?

Camden Yards has a pretty good claim, too.

My point is -- who would say "we need someone to go over and cover the game in Baltimore and/or Washington tonight?" It just doesn't sound natural to me.

There's a park in Baltimore. There's a park in Washington. If you needed both, you'd list both.
Old 11-16-2005, 02:02 PM   #40
Vince
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand
Camden Yards has a pretty good claim, too.

My point is -- who would say "we need someone to go over and cover the game in Baltimore and/or Washington tonight?" It just doesn't sound natural to me.

There's a park in Baltimore. There's a park in Washington. If you needed both, you'd list both.

While I agree with your semantics there, they do the same thing for San Francisco/Oakland and Los Angeles/Anaheim, so I'd guess that they need someone for both places.
Old 11-16-2005, 02:08 PM   #41
Bad-example
College Starter

I find it highly unlikely they will find anyone in LA willing to score dodgers games. That would require staying past the seventh inning.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 02:13 PM   #42
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince
While I agree with your semantics there, they do the same thing for San Francisco/Oakland and Los Angeles/Anaheim, so I'd guess that they need someone for both places.

Yes, I suppose they might be asking for people who could cover both cities, which could make sense.
Old 11-16-2005, 02:23 PM   #43
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I remember they had these positions posted last year for practically every team.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 02:31 PM   #44
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Not to play devil's advocate here, but I think in some respects we're glorifying the job. Remember, you're going to be in an environment where cheering or rooting is not only frowned upon, it's pretty much prohibited. You've got to do the job pretty stoically. Not to mention that there is actually a lot of work that goes into it -- that drains the enjoyment somewhat.

I have friends who work in sports information in they really enjoy the job, but the work very hard for very little money. There reward mostly comes from having fun working with the kids (in college), but during games its work.

I'll take one of those play-by-play jobs where you get Joe Buck dollars and can be a pompous ass all the time ...
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 03:47 PM   #45
Senator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangarion
Well that stadium isn't in Dallas nor Arlington, right?

Arlington

http://www.ballparks.com/baseball/american/bpkarl.htm
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Old 11-16-2005, 03:49 PM   #46
Senator

dola:

And if they have these for football games next year - please post.

Old 11-16-2005, 05:39 PM   #47
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
I wonder what it pays

That's what I'm wondering. Couldnt be enough to be worth my while, could it? It would be great fun but almost certainly not enough to pay the bills...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 06:01 PM   #48
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

This would be the greatest retirement job ever. "Where are you going?" "Off to work at the ballpark, dear. We have a doubleheader today so I've got long hours"

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 06:05 PM   #49
Philliesfan980
Banned

I LOVE baseball, but if you're working this as a "Second job/fun job" I think it would end up being more of a chore as the season progressed.

But if you've got tons of cash and don't really need to work, or you're retired, it would be a blast.
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 06:13 PM   #50
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Get laid to watch baseball?
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote