Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-28-2005, 10:24 PM   #1
JeeberD
General Manager

AL playoff outfielder on the juice?

http://journals.aol.com/dcsportsguy/...t/entries/2162

AL Playoff Outfielder Tests Positive for Steroids

Deadspin's 'Who's the Mystery AL 'Roider?' post from yesterday included the following excerpt from this week's USA Today Sports Weekly:

"An American League outfielder on a postseason team tested positive for steroids, according to his agent, but the player is appealing the results."

Certainly interesting, but I didn't make much of it until we talked to Baseball Prospectus' Will Carroll on today's Sports Bloggers Live. Will writes a weekly column for BP that Peter Gammons has called an "industry standard," and he also wrote a book called 'The Juice' earlier this year. His response when told of the rumor?

Carroll: "I really can't talk about it right now. It should be coming out within the next two weeks."

SBL: "Is this a name we're actually going to care about?"

Carroll: "Yes."

SBL: "Is it a World Series champion?"

Carroll: "I really can't talk about it."

SBL: "I would hope not, because that might turn those White Sox black... Will, cough once if he's on the White Sox... Cough twice if it's Gary Sheffield."

Carroll: "I was involved in the appeals process so I can't comment at all."

Here's the full audio interview. The dialogue dictated here takes place between 6:20 and 7:00.

If this is true, there's a 1-in-4 chance someone on the White Sox used steroids this season and then contributed to Chicago's first World Series victory since 1917. And there's a 100% chance a player used and then participated in the playoffs. So... Who was it? And what would Selig do if that player was the World Series MVP or the Game 2 hero? Would it be a Black Sox-level fiasco? Say it ain't so, Jermaine!

Given what we presume to know -- that the guy is in the AL, made the playoffs, is relatively significant and plays outfield -- the list of possibilities is only 12-deep:

· Chicago: Podsednik, Dye, Rowand

· Anaheim: Anderson, Guerrero, Finley

· New York: Matsui, Sheffield, Williams

· Boston: Ramirez, Damon, Nixon

As a fan of the game and none of the teams or players involved here (actually, Vlad is rad), I hope none of them are guilty. But if one is, I certainly hope he isn't on the White Sox.

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO

JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 10:27 PM   #2
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Ramirez's last great stunt would be to shoot his trade value to hell. It'd only fit.

Last edited by jeff061 : 10-28-2005 at 10:28 PM.
jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 10:30 PM   #3
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I vote Carl Everett.
Old 10-28-2005, 10:35 PM   #4
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Wow. This would be the second time Damon was in the line of fire. Finley would fit, given his declining productivity.

I guess we'll find out soon enough. And presumably, this is more reliable than the Clemens/Damon rumors, which we're still waiting to break.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 10:37 PM   #5
miami_fan
Coordinator

Are the owners made aware that a member of their team tested positive and is currently appealing?
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 10:40 PM   #6
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I don't think it's Damon. If it is he ranks right up there with Palmeiro. On the plus side he's a free agent, so he'll only be screwing himself.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 10:41 PM   #7
Ksyrup

I don't think it is either, given his pretty strong denial last time. But this is the second finger pointing indirectly at him in 3 months.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 10-28-2005, 10:46 PM   #8
JeeberD
General Manager

My money is on Finley...

Old 10-28-2005, 11:08 PM   #9
Huckleberry
College Starter

It's got to be Podsednik. Guy hits no home runs all year long and then two in the playoffs. That's like a bazillion percent improvement. A BAZILLION!!!

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 11:23 PM   #10
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD
My money is on Finley...

He seems the most obvious, as a declining vet trying to salvage an awful season and help his new playoff-bound team. I know nothing about him on a personal level, but just from his situation, he stands out.
Old 10-28-2005, 11:54 PM   #11
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

My guess is Bernie Williams. Just a hunch.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 12:19 AM   #12
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I doubt greatly that it is Finley, although I can't fault the logic of guessing a struggling player wanting to help his new team.

Fact is that Finley is one of those super-physique freaks. The guy has Jerry Rice like workout habits and eats like a monk. A lot was made about his approach to the game when steroids were the big thing early in the season, as he was put up as an example of a player who is very much against using steroids (look at his thin body, too...). I would be shocked if it's him.

I don't think it's Vlad either. The guy just has never needed the 'roids. If it is an Angel, I am afraid I would have to highlight GA as a likely candidate. He has had a ton of injury problems the past couple seasons after playing 155+ every year since his rookie season, and a lot has been made about his loss of power. So I could see him taking steroids this season to try to get stronger and get his power stroke back.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 12:34 AM   #13
Rizon
Pro Starter

Well, if it was a White Sock, even if it did help them get to the series, it didn't help them win it. With the way Astrochokes played 3 high school middle infielders* could have beat that team on their own.

* That would be the SS, 2B and a reserve. You know, that kid that sits on the bench and goes like 1-21 during the season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.

Last edited by Rizon : 10-29-2005 at 12:35 AM.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 08:41 AM   #14
Easy Mac

http://dynamic.gamespy.com/~fof/foru...ad.php?t=44013
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 09:21 AM   #15
General Mike
Pro Starter

Sheffield.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 09:23 AM   #16
Booj
High School JV

It's definitely not Guerrero; I doubt it's Finley. My guess is that it is probably someone on the White Sox; probably Dye or Everett.
Booj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 09:35 AM   #17
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Mike
Sheffield.

Sheffield fired his agent and negotiated his own contract with the Yankees, so that might rule him out (as he has no agent to leak the story).
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 11:40 AM   #18
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
He seems the most obvious, as a declining vet trying to salvage an awful season and help his new playoff-bound team. I know nothing about him on a personal level, but just from his situation, he stands out.

There is a LOT more circumstantial evidence than that.

I've been making the Finley arguement for a while now. In Finley's first 7 seasons, he averaged about 6 HR per year, never topping 11. Then, suddenly, at the age of 31, he suddenly became a power hitter: in the next 10 years, he hit 30+ homers 4 times. In fact, since the power surge, he has never hit as few as his pre-surge 11; even this year at 40 he hit 12. A WHOPPING 85% of his career homerun total has been after he turned 31.

And what happened at age 31 to turn this all around? Well, oddly enough, his career reinvention comes at the same time as that of one his Padre teammates: Ken Caminiti. Finley jumping from 11 to 30 home runs happened the same season that Ken Caminiti suddenly jumped from a career high 18 homers to 40 in two season. Just sayin.
Old 10-29-2005, 11:48 AM   #19
MrBug708
Head Coach

If Vlad did it then it certainly made him worse as he didn't even hit the hookers outside of the southside...
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 12:47 PM   #20
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizon
Well, if it was a White Sock, even if it did help them get to the series, it didn't help them win it. With the way Astrochokes played 3 high school middle infielders* could have beat that team on their own.

* That would be the SS, 2B and a reserve. You know, that kid that sits on the bench and goes like 1-21 during the season.

To be fair, they did make it there and the high school middle infielders of the Braves and Cards couldn't do it

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 01:47 PM   #21
Tom E
H.S. Freshman Team

Posendick, he's been trying to come back from an injury. He didn't want to jeopordize not playing in the playoffs and took a short cut...

I'll Never Forget What's Her Name...

A Democrat is Somebody who Knows the Issues, a Republican is Somebody who Understands the Issues...
Tom E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 05:46 PM   #22
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizon

Old 10-29-2005, 05:47 PM   #23
st.cronin
General Manager

My guess is Garrett Anderson.
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 01:21 PM   #24
Mr. Sparkle
High School JV

From Rotoworld.com...

Sources have told Deadspin.com that Matt Lawton has tested positive for steroids.
So, this is the notable AL outfielder who has tested positive? According to the report, Lawton is currently appealing the suspension, which is why there has been no announcement from MLB. Nov. 2 - 1:57 pm et

Sheesh, who didn't see this one coming?!?
Old 11-02-2005, 02:51 PM   #25
Ksyrup

Figures that a Yankee would get caught, and it would be the only one who no one gives a shit about.
Old 11-02-2005, 03:03 PM   #26
JasonC23
High School Varsity

The only hope for Cubs fans is that Lawton can prove he got it from Dusty during his brief time in Chicago.
Old 11-02-2005, 04:31 PM   #27
General Mike
Pro Starter

I knew it was a Yankee.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 04:40 PM   #28
DanGarion
Coordinator

http://deadspin.com/sports/baseball/...hen-134821.php

Matt Lawton.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 04:42 PM   #29
Ksyrup

SOunds like someone was really trying to be a smoking gun source by claiming the offender was a prominent AL OF for a playoff team, considering Lawton was left off the Yankees' post-season roster.

Also, from that article, I guess I missed this bit:

"His positive test was the third announced by the commissioner's office since the end of the regular season, following those of Texas pitcher Carlos Almanzar and New York Mets pitcher Felix Heredia."

Best time to be suspended for steroids is during the playoffs, I think.
Old 11-02-2005, 08:54 PM   #30
Rizon
Pro Starter

Who the hell is Matt Lawton?
Quote:
Old 11-02-2005, 08:56 PM   #31
Rizon
Pro Starter

Anyone want to call these people and ask them if they want to continue supporting him?

Kawaii Gifts.com (412)687-2480 sponsor(s) this page.
Quote:
Old 11-03-2005, 02:34 PM   #32
Ksyrup

Is this seemingly straight-forward admission a baseball first?

Matt Lawton admitted to using steroids in a statement, saying the positive test came after he joined the Yankees.
He also stated that no appeal was filed. The substance he tested positive for was boldenone, a source told The Associated Press. "It's a veterinary steroid. I think it's primarily used in horses," said Dr. Gary Wadler, a professor of sports medicine at New York University and an expert on performance-enhancing drugs. "It's used like any other anabolic steroid. It's basically injectable." Lawton will serve a 10-day suspension at the beginning of next season. Nov. 3 - 3:04 am et
Old 11-03-2005, 02:37 PM   #33
rkmsuf
Head Coach

If anything he should be ridiculed for taking horse drugs and made to eat only hay during the 10 days.
Old 11-03-2005, 02:38 PM   #34
rkmsuf
Head Coach

dola, in the program when you go to baseball games they should include a big circled L to indicate which players are first time lasix for today's game.
Old 11-03-2005, 02:38 PM   #35
Ksyrup

I'm not trying to be Sherlock Holmes here, but...

From the original article (appears to be a direct quote):

From Matt Lawton's statement:

"I take full responsibility for my actions and did not appeal my suspension."

Maybe Lawton isn't the "AL OF from a playoff team" alluded to in the original article? Hmmmm?
Old 11-03-2005, 03:05 PM   #36
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf
dola, in the program when you go to baseball games they should include a big circled L to indicate which players are first time lasix for today's game.

This made me laugh.
Old 11-03-2005, 03:09 PM   #37
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors
This made me laugh.

It's freaking hilarious that they have more stringent monitoring of horses regarding a drug policy than humans. Have Lawton drink a "milkshake" and see how he fares.
Old 11-03-2005, 07:18 PM   #38
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
I'm not trying to be Sherlock Holmes here, but...

From the original article (appears to be a direct quote):

From Matt Lawton's statement:

"I take full responsibility for my actions and did not appeal my suspension."

Maybe Lawton isn't the "AL OF from a playoff team" alluded to in the original article? Hmmmm?

My guess: He appealed the actual results of the test, but did not appeal the suspension? I believe those are separate instances.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote