Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-27-2005, 07:00 AM   #1
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Video Card install help

Wonder if anyone is a techie around here that could help me out. I purchased a new video card to upgrade so I could play Civ4. I have a computer that exceeded all specs except the video card. It was a 64 MB Intel that came standard with my Dell. It was pretty obvious when I installed that wouldn't cut it. So I bought a 128 MB GE Force MX 4000 to upgrade. When I try to install, I disabled the Intel part and then ran the install for my graphics card. I plugged my monitor into the video card and it had a display, but the toolbar did not show up at the bottom of the screen. Any ideas on what I need to do related to the uninstall of the Intel part and the install of the video card to make it work? Thanks in advance for any help.

Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 07:07 AM   #2
Samdari
Roster Filler

It sounds like you did it right. The first thing I would try is moving the desktop around on the screen. Both the monitor and the video card control panel should have positioning adjustments.
Old 10-27-2005, 07:13 AM   #3
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari
It sounds like you did it right. The first thing I would try is moving the desktop around on the screen. Both the monitor and the video card control panel should have positioning adjustments.

It almost looks like the arrow is going right off the screen to another area. But I moved the screen around and there's nowhere to go. I tried the screen adjustments on both and there was no effect.
Old 10-27-2005, 07:17 AM   #4
Butter
Coordinator

It appears that I need to do the same thing... my questions are:

What's the difference between an AGP and PCI video card? Will it make a difference in my eMachines el cheapo CPU as far as which one I get? How hard is each one to install? Will I have problems circumventing the Intel onboard graphics chipset?
Old 10-27-2005, 07:20 AM   #5
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69
It appears that I need to do the same thing... my questions are:

What's the difference between an AGP and PCI video card? Will it make a difference in my eMachines el cheapo CPU as far as which one I get? How hard is each one to install? Will I have problems circumventing the Intel onboard graphics chipset?

Go to the eMachines website. It should tell you which slots (AGP or PCI) you have available. The 128 MB card that I got at Best Buy is on sale if you need a PCI card and it is reported to work well with Civ4 (if I can ever get it installed. )
Old 10-27-2005, 07:21 AM   #6
Butter
Coordinator

Thanks, I'll do that.
Old 10-27-2005, 07:41 AM   #7
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan
Go to the eMachines website. It should tell you which slots (AGP or PCI) you have available. The 128 MB card that I got at Best Buy is on sale if you need a PCI card and it is reported to work well with Civ4 (if I can ever get it installed. )

I think it is installed correctly. I have never heard of a video card selectively displaying parts of the operating system. It seems more likely to me that some setting got changed when you installed you new video card software. Are you familiar with the "auto hide the taskbar" option? Have you tried putting the mouse near the very bottom of the screen? What happens when you start in safe mode.
Old 10-27-2005, 07:53 AM   #8
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
I think it is installed correctly. I have never heard of a video card selectively displaying parts of the operating system. It seems more likely to me that some setting got changed when you installed you new video card software. Are you familiar with the "auto hide the taskbar" option? Have you tried putting the mouse near the very bottom of the screen? What happens when you start in safe mode.

I went to the website for the card. It sounds like I may not have done the right steps to disable the existing Intel part. Sounds like I'm not supposed to reboot once I disable the old part. I need to leave the system on and put in the new card before rebooting. That way, it will recognize the new card. I think by allowing it to reboot after removing the old video part, it allowed some conflicts to occur. Let me know if this makes any sense. Thanks.
Old 10-27-2005, 08:53 AM   #9
hukarez
College Starter

Quote:
I went to the website for the card. It sounds like I may not have done the right steps to disable the existing Intel part. Sounds like I'm not supposed to reboot once I disable the old part. I need to leave the system on and put in the new card before rebooting. That way, it will recognize the new card. I think by allowing it to reboot after removing the old video part, it allowed some conflicts to occur. Let me know if this makes any sense. Thanks.

Whoa, wait... are you installing the card while it's powered on??
Filipino Martial Arts Digest
tweet tweet twitter
hukarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 09:40 AM   #10
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by hukarez
Whoa, wait... are you installing the card while it's powered on??

Not sure. Here's the specific instructions. Maybe someone can translate for me.......

"A. This is most likely due to a conflict with your motherboard's on-board (integrated) graphics. Make sure the monitor cable is plugged into the new 3DFuzion video card you just installed and not the on-board video connector. Prior to installing your 3DFuzion card the on-board graphics must be disabled. Please contact your motherboard or system manufacturer for details on disabling the on-board graphics in the BIOS as the method can vary a great deal. You may also be able to disable the on-board graphics through device manager in Windows if there is not an option in your system's BIOS. This can be accomplished:

a. In Windows 95, 98, ME or Windows NT start by clicking on Start > Settings > Control Panel and then double click on System.

b. For Windows 2000 or XP click Start > Control Panel > Performance and Maintenance > System > Hardware

a. For Windows 98, 98, ME or NT double click on the video card under display adapter and place a check in the box to disable in hardware profile. Close device manager; do not restart your computer. Remember, if the computer prompts you to restart the computer select "no".

b. In Windows 2000 or XP right click on the display adapter and select disable. Click "yes" if asked "Do you really want to do this". Click "no" If prompted to restart, then proceed to step 4.

If using XP skip to step 4.While still in the control panel double click the display icon. In display properties select the settings tab. Now click the Advanced button (this button may vary depending upon the current display drivers and operating system). In the adapter tab (again this may vary depending upon the type of video or drivers installed on the computer click change, to select a new display adapter. List the display devices, DO NOT search or auto-detect the display adapter. If you do not see a listing of various computer video card manufactures and models select "show all hardware". In the listing select Standard display types (generally the first listing under manufacturers) and choose standard VGA for the model. Do not restart after the installation has finished.

Close all open windows and shutdown your system. Your system is now prepared for installation of your new 3DFuzion graphics card. Please follow the instructions in the Quick Install Guide.

This can also be caused by an insufficient power supply please check the product page for each card's requirement."
Old 10-27-2005, 09:44 AM   #11
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I really don't think your problem is related to the installation.
Old 10-27-2005, 09:49 AM   #12
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors
I really don't think your problem is related to the installation.

Why do you say that?
Old 10-27-2005, 09:52 AM   #13
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Why do you say that?

Samdari has already said it. It just doesn't make sense that a video card conflict would cause just the taskbar to not be displayed. You posted something from the manual that appeared to be the answer to a question.

What was the question that led to this answer:

Quote:
A. This is most likely due to a conflict with your motherboard's on-board (integrated) graphics.
Old 10-27-2005, 09:53 AM   #14
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:

Did you try any of this? These are the first things I'd try along with checking the display settings.

Edit: I also agree with the others that it seems highly unlikely to be an installation issue. The problem you describe sounds like a settings issue, not an install issue.

Last edited by Bee : 10-27-2005 at 09:55 AM.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 10:01 AM   #15
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee
Did you try any of this? These are the first things I'd try along with checking the display settings.

Edit: I also agree with the others that it seems highly unlikely to be an installation issue. The problem you describe sounds like a settings issue, not an install issue.

Yeah, I tried all those. I always auto-hide, so I know what that is. Safe mode works. If I plug it into the regular monitor input, I can see the desktop, albeit a bit goofy looking from diabling the onboard graphics card. But when I plug into the video card, I see no toolbar and no shortcuts on the desktop. I click around and nothing happens.
Old 10-27-2005, 10:17 AM   #16
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Yeah, I tried all those. I always auto-hide, so I know what that is. Safe mode works. If I plug it into the regular monitor input, I can see the desktop, albeit a bit goofy looking from diabling the onboard graphics card. But when I plug into the video card, I see no toolbar and no shortcuts on the desktop. I click around and nothing happens.

WHOA there now, Sparky. Didn't know about that one. I'm not sure what the problem is, then.
Old 10-27-2005, 10:22 AM   #17
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors
WHOA there now, Sparky. Didn't know about that one. I'm not sure what the problem is, then.

Yeah, I left that part out. Remembered it after thinking about it.
Old 10-27-2005, 10:32 AM   #18
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Got another question that may help understand this. When I restart the computer, if the monitor cable is in the main input instead of the video card input, will the computer enable the original motherboard graphics card? Do I have to make sure the cable is plugged into the card?

Also, after reading the instructions that I posted (which were directions if you have an internal motherboard graphics card), I'm thinking I may have made a mistake by restarting the computer after disabling the old graphics card. Probably should have also installed the new video card drivers before the restart so it could be recognized upon restart.
Old 10-27-2005, 10:45 AM   #19
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
I plug it into the regular monitor input, I can see the desktop, albeit a bit goofy looking from diabling the onboard graphics card

Does not sound disabled actually. Did you disable it in BIOS or just uninstall the drivers?

Can you go to the control panel? If so, what is listed for display adapters.

When in safe mode, do you have a taskbar?

Does the start menu come up when you push the Windows.

Whatever you do, don't ever plug any card into any motherboard slot while the power is on. If that's how you're reading the instructions, you are reading them wrong. This fries a lot of motherboards.
Old 10-27-2005, 11:07 AM   #20
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Does not sound disabled actually. Did you disable it in BIOS or just uninstall the drivers?

Can you go to the control panel? If so, what is listed for display adapters.

When in safe mode, do you have a taskbar?

Does the start menu come up when you push the Windows.

Whatever you do, don't ever plug any card into any motherboard slot while the power is on. If that's how you're reading the instructions, you are reading them wrong. This fries a lot of motherboards.

Haven't plug in while on. I just misread the instructions and I'm glad I asked. The thing I've noticed is that the original card shows back up when I reboot. Both cards are listed as options, but it doesn't allow me to select the new video card. I am at work, but I think when I go home, I'm going to make sure to not reboot after disabling the original card and make sure to install the new card too before rebooting. I think that may avoid the situation where the old card detects again. If not, I suppose I'll have to move on to the support line.

BTW.....using the windows key to bring up the menu is a good idea. I may try that to test it.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 10-27-2005 at 11:08 AM.
Old 10-27-2005, 02:05 PM   #21
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Haven't plug in while on. I just misread the instructions and I'm glad I asked. The thing I've noticed is that the original card shows back up when I reboot. Both cards are listed as options, but it doesn't allow me to select the new video card. I am at work, but I think when I go home, I'm going to make sure to not reboot after disabling the original card and make sure to install the new card too before rebooting. I think that may avoid the situation where the old card detects again. If not, I suppose I'll have to move on to the support line.

BTW.....using the windows key to bring up the menu is a good idea. I may try that to test it.

One thing you did not address is whether you disabled the onboard video in Windows or the BIOS. The BIOS is the surer way to do it, then windows will not find the hardware or use the drivers.

Good luck. I know how bad it sucks to have to futz around with this kind of crap instead of playing the new game you just bought.
Old 10-27-2005, 02:24 PM   #22
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
One thing you did not address is whether you disabled the onboard video in Windows or the BIOS. The BIOS is the surer way to do it, then windows will not find the hardware or use the drivers.

Good luck. I know how bad it sucks to have to futz around with this kind of crap instead of playing the new game you just bought.

How do I disable something in BIOS? I did it in a window through the properties menu.
Old 10-27-2005, 03:33 PM   #23
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
How do I disable something in BIOS? I did it in a window through the properties menu.

That's not the BIOS. When you boot your computer, there should be something very early in the boot process (long before Windows starts to load) that may say to press DELETE or F2 or something to enter "SETUP." This is what you want to do. Now, every system is different, so I can't tell you exactly where to find the option to disable to onboard video once you're into the setup, but that should get you started.
Old 10-27-2005, 09:03 PM   #24
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Usually a Dell is F2 to go into BIOS, from there you should be able to disable the onboard video.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 09:19 AM   #25
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Wanted to thank everyone for all their help. I got home and was able to switch the BIOS from ONBOARD to AUTO. I did that and booted up and it worked fine. Other than the sound in the videos (which appears to be a problem for most at this point), I was able to play Civ4 just fine. Thanks again.
Old 10-28-2005, 08:58 PM   #26
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

GO MIZZOU!!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 09:16 PM   #27
Airhog
Captain Obvious

You need to make sure you remove the old drivers first. You probably have a conflict even though you disabled the video chip

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!
Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote