Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-26-2005, 07:57 AM   #1
wade moore
lolzcat

I Got a New Job!

Some of you may have seen my thread from a few weeks back lamenting a change in who my boss was and general job disatsifaction...

Well, I'm happy to now come on excited that I got a new job! It is actually still with the same company that I have been with for 3 years and under the same contract, but a completely seperate role.

I go from a first line leader/operations supervisor on a Help Desk to Project Management for one of the largest IT Contracts in the world. I'm excited about the change for many reasons... I get to broaden outside of Help Desk... I got to learn PM and get certifications which will help in my career/pay down the road... I get to work from home!

Anyway.. I'm excited and just had to share.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...

wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 07:58 AM   #2
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

congratulations!!!

FM
Old 10-26-2005, 08:13 AM   #3
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Gratz! I'm not sure I could work from home, since I would be tempted to eat all day and not work.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 08:54 AM   #4
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

'Grats, Wade.
Old 10-26-2005, 08:56 AM   #5
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

that's fantastic! congrats!
Old 10-26-2005, 08:59 AM   #6
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army
Gratz! I'm not sure I could work from home, since I would be tempted to eat all day and not work.

I would not have made the decision if I was not relatively confidant that I could commit myself.

I currently drive 85 miles round trip and deal with a horrible annoying bridge-tunnel that makes my commute about 2 1/2 hours a day on the low side... so, something had to give.

Anyway... I have some strategies in mind on how to work successfuly no home, time to see if they work.

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 10-26-2005, 09:17 AM   #7
Subby
lolzcat

Congrats!

I didn't realize you were taking the tunnel every day. That would be miserable.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 09:21 AM   #8
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore
Anyway... I have some strategies in mind on how to work successfuly no home, time to see if they work.

One piece of unsolicited advice, just from somebody who has worked almost exclusively from home for the past 6+ years: If there was one thing I would do differently, it would be to make a concerted effort to isolate work to one area of the home. I didn't, and I've regretted that for several years now.
Old 10-26-2005, 09:40 AM   #9
Dutch
"Dutch"

Congratulations! Yeah, I think the 85 mile trek would be cause enough for me to find the proper self-motivation to work from home. Good luck!
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 10:00 AM   #10
JeeberD
General Manager

Awesome! Congrats, Wade...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 10:32 AM   #11
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Congrats!

I didn't realize you were taking the tunnel every day. That would be miserable.

Indeed... the morning trip at 6:00 AM is ok, but the ride home is one heck of a bear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiMG
One piece of unsolicited advice, just from somebody who has worked almost exclusively from home for the past 6+ years: If there was one thing I would do differently, it would be to make a concerted effort to isolate work to one area of the home. I didn't, and I've regretted that for several years now.
I guess I was fishing for advice, so it wasn't completely unsolicited ...

That is one of the things I'm doing to the best of my ability... all of my work will be done in the same room, hopefully on a desk dedicated to work (not yet purchased).. .the problem is, it is the same room with the computer and the playstation.. house isn't big enough for a room with nothing but work...

Quote:
Old 10-26-2005, 10:37 AM   #12
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Congrats!

Menwhile, it looks like I'll soon be asking people "would you like frys with that?"
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 10:38 AM   #13
JeeberD
General Manager

You're bright, GD. You'll work your way up to management in no time...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 11:18 AM   #14
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD
You're bright, GD. You'll work your way up to management in no time...

Wow, what a bright future.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 09:51 AM   #15
wade moore
lolzcat

Ugh.

So I have just been told that I'll have to start working in the office again. This means at least 3 hours on the road a day to go to do a job that, quite frankly, I hate.

So, I've asked them to reconsider, but otherwise I've been on Monster.com all day.

Quote:
Old 10-10-2006, 09:58 AM   #16
Desnudo
Coordinator

As a PM, couldn't you negotiate some sort of on-site/off-site deal? I find it hard to see how you could manage a project completely virtually, but there should be some leeway.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 10:01 AM   #17
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Let me sing to you from the Smiths:

"I was happy in the haze of a drunken hour,
and heaven knows i'm miserable now.
I was looking for a job and then i found a job,
and heaven knows i'm miserable now."

But seriously, congrats!!!

Last edited by Passacaglia : 10-10-2006 at 10:01 AM.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 10:08 AM   #18
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
Ugh.

So I have just been told that I'll have to start working in the office again. This means at least 3 hours on the road a day to go to do a job that, quite frankly, I hate.

So, I've asked them to reconsider, but otherwise I've been on Monster.com all day.

Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 10:11 AM   #19
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Yeah... we're going to need you to go ahead and come in on Saturday, too.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 10:12 AM   #20
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo View Post
As a PM, couldn't you negotiate some sort of on-site/off-site deal? I find it hard to see how you could manage a project completely virtually, but there should be some leeway.

Managing projects completely virtually has been no issue. Being in my office, I will not see anyone that I work on projects anyways as they are all spread out across the US. So, honestly, there is no benefit to me being in the office.

This is apparently a company wide move to cut-down on folks telecommuting, which I just don't get.

Quote:
Old 10-10-2006, 10:27 AM   #21
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Man, fuck going through the HR Bridge tunnel every day. Sorry about your bum luck. Chesapeake or Norfolk? At least it seems like the monitor/merrimack project should be closer to done by now.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 10:30 AM   #22
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

whoot!
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 10:31 AM   #23
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

whoot on the new job. sucks that you have to go back in.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 10:34 AM   #24
stevew
Hall Of Famer

There is no new job. Just merely more gasoline usage and tunnel traveling.
Old 10-10-2006, 10:37 AM   #25
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

check the timestamps people! for the sake of the children!
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 10:39 AM   #26
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Man, fuck going through the HR Bridge tunnel every day. Sorry about your bum luck. Chesapeake or Norfolk? At least it seems like the monitor/merrimack project should be closer to done by now.

Been awhile since you've been down here, eh? The Monitor Merrimack has been done for at least 5 years, if not more ...

Anyway, it's Norfolk so the MMBT is not a realistic option. It's definately suckitude. I'm working on trying to get them to change their minds, but I've also already started the job hunt.

Quote:
Old 10-10-2006, 07:19 PM   #27
wade moore
lolzcat

Thanks for all of the well wishes here and privately..

After much discussion with my boss, this is going to turn into much ado about nothing... I will have to very rarely go into the office and for all intents and purposes my daily life will not change.

The only thing is now I found some jobs i'm really interested in, so if any pan out, maybe i'll still take them ...

Quote:
Old 10-11-2006, 01:27 AM   #28
Dutch
"Dutch"

You're a smart guy with skills, Wade, everything will work out with those two notches in your favor.

I find myself in the role of a project manager in my new job in Germany. It's okay since I get to make what I want of the position, but I'd rather be working hands-on as a system administrator. But being able to kind of do my own thing does have it's advantages. Like allowing me to focus more strongly on night school and getting my degree.

It must be nice to look at places like monster.com and dice.com and think, "Hey, if they offer me a job, I'll take it!" One day I will leave the military and I will want to get a job working for a company that has absolutely nothing to do with the government. That is my dream. But if I end up working for the government post-military, I'll always have monster.com bookmarked, that's for sure.

Last edited by Dutch : 10-11-2006 at 01:28 AM.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 06:50 AM   #29
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
Been awhile since you've been down here, eh? The Monitor Merrimack has been done for at least 5 years, if not more ...

Anyway, it's Norfolk so the MMBT is not a realistic option. It's definately suckitude. I'm working on trying to get them to change their minds, but I've also already started the job hunt.

No, i was there 2 summers ago, I just probably was referring to the wrong thing. I know the MMBT is done, but they were building a shitload of new lanes at the end of it near suffolk/port noffolk, that were eventually supposed to lead into another tube at the midtown tunnell(one by norfolk sentara). But yeah, that wouldn't help you that much I'm sure.
Old 10-11-2006, 07:43 AM   #30
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
No, i was there 2 summers ago, I just probably was referring to the wrong thing. I know the MMBT is done, but they were building a shitload of new lanes at the end of it near suffolk/port noffolk, that were eventually supposed to lead into another tube at the midtown tunnell(one by norfolk sentara). But yeah, that wouldn't help you that much I'm sure.

Oh, don't know about all of that stuff cause I don't venture that way much..

Yeah, MMBT is really only for when serious accidents shut down the HRBT for me... or if I'm going to Chesapeake for some reason.

Quote: