Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-23-2005, 01:45 PM   #1
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

New Gatorade Commercial

I am guessing if you are watching football you have seen it today.. I am a big fan. Basically they have changed the outcomes of three very memorable plays, them being Jordan's shot against the Cavs, Montana to Clark, and Jeter's heads up play against the A's. It is a commercial that I actually don't get pissed when it pops on to the TV.

INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 03:00 PM   #2
streetballer22
Mascot

Saw this too, pretty cool.
streetballer22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 03:14 PM   #3
Zippo
High School JV

does anyone have a link?
Zippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 03:36 PM   #4
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

So what you're saying is Clark made the catch?
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 03:47 PM   #5
Vince
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazFTW
So what you're saying is Clark made the catch?

Huh?
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 04:34 PM   #6
Celeval
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince
Huh?

Oh, good, I thought I was the only one.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 06:19 PM   #7
Schmidty
Coordinator

Is that the one where Clark stubs his toe and pulls a Peter Griffin in the endzone?
Old 10-23-2005, 07:54 PM   #8
Raiders Army
Coordinator

It was great. For some reason I like the NFL dance-off commercial and the Toyota Tundra meteor one as well.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 08:16 PM   #9
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

They did a great job recreating the end of the Dwight Clark play, and the Jeter play looks pretty good, but the Jordan shot ends up looking horrible visually. It's a good commercial, and I love the concept, but the Jordan play just seems so out-of-place compared to the other two in the spot.
Old 10-23-2005, 08:22 PM   #10
KevinNU7
College Starter

Can someone give a little play by play for the people who haven't seen it yet?
Old 10-23-2005, 08:25 PM   #11
Vince
Pro Starter

They mention being in the right place at the right time, and how sports is usually a game of inches. Then they show an edited clip of Jordan's last second shot, and instead of going in, it rims out. He is also edited to look upset. Then they show Dwight Clark missing the pass, rather than pulling it in by his fingertips. Finally, they show Posada having to reach too far, and Giambi being safe. All the plays are edited, and then they talk about Gatorade, getting that extra 'oomph,' and getting it done.

Very well done, though I have to say I did a huge double-take when I first caught it out of the corner of my eye.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 10:02 PM   #12
TredWel
High School Varsity

Since I got TiVo, commercials have basically got half a second to make an impression on me before I 30-second-skip through them. This is one of the few commercials that have caught my eye. Pretty clever.
Old 10-23-2005, 10:05 PM   #13
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

That's funny. I caught a glimpse of the commercial, had no clue what it was. but basically only saw the Jeter play, and thought to myself, "I swear he missed the tag."
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 10:12 PM   #14
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TredWel
Since I got TiVo, commercials have basically got half a second to make an impression on me before I 30-second-skip through them. This is one of the few commercials that have caught my eye. Pretty clever.

How does one 30-second-skip using a TiVO controller? I have a DirecTV one and I haven't figured it out.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 10:23 PM   #15
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Great commerical.

Now I'm just looking for the tie-in, and the 'Burger King' dropping a sure INT, which he could have ran back all the way.
Old 10-23-2005, 10:24 PM   #16
TredWel
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue
How does one 30-second-skip using a TiVO controller? I have a DirecTV one and I haven't figured it out.

Secret code. I don't know if it works on a DirecTV TiVo, but it's worth a try:

http://www.bigmarv.net/how/tivo30secondskip.html
Old 10-23-2005, 10:36 PM   #17
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TredWel
Secret code. I don't know if it works on a DirecTV TiVo, but it's worth a try:

http://www.bigmarv.net/how/tivo30secondskip.html

Thanks, man! Just tried it and it works perfectly. This is a very nice addition to the arsenal...
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 08:50 AM   #18
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

I can same this is about the first commercial I've seen where'd I'd like to see a sequel.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 10:39 AM   #19
Radii
Head Coach

Thank god for the 30 second skip button. I watched the commercial a couple of times, and yeah it's a good commercial, but Montana to Clark is such a horrible, horrible memory. I'd rather not have to relive that.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 10:59 AM   #20
cuervo72
Head Coach

Hmm, I saw the beginning of the Jordan shot, and thought "ack, another commercial showing how clutch Jordan is, etc" - *click*. Of course, the network plays the same commercial in the same slot on all of its games, so I clicked by it about 4-5 times yesterday (Sunday Ticket).
Old 10-24-2005, 11:35 AM   #21
kcchief19
Pro Starter

One the one hand, it just leads you to heartbreak because it makes you think about what might have been if Clark really did miss that ball and America's Team did get to rough up the Bengals in the Super Bowl.

On the plus side, I'm glad they didn't go to the local/college level and edit video to show Derek Grimm blocking Tyus Edney's prayer shot and sending the Tigers to the Sweet 16.

Still bitter.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 11:43 AM   #22
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19
On the plus side, I'm glad they didn't go to the local/college level and edit video to show Derek Grimm blocking Tyus Edney's prayer shot and sending the Tigers to the Sweet 16.

Still bitter.

I would've liked to have seen Laettners last second shot vs Kentucky rim out or air ball.
In memory of Gavin Anthony: 7/22/08-7/26/08
gottimd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 11:50 AM   #23
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

If I see a Canadian verison with Fraser's arm in the air I think I'll flip out...
Old 10-24-2005, 11:55 AM   #24
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

There are a ton of interesting ones they could do as well if possible that I would love to see, like have Buckner grab the groundball, Fisks homerun goes foul, the immaculate reception, any of viniateri's FGs shank wide, etc.
In memory of Gavin Anthony: 7/22/08-7/26/08
gottimd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 11:59 AM   #25
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottimd
There are a ton of interesting ones they could do as well if possible that I would love to see, like have Buckner grab the groundball, Fisks homerun goes foul, the immaculate reception, any of viniateri's FGs shank wide, etc.
Or Scott Norwood's go through.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 12:27 PM   #26
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Well it's supposed to be great plays that computer graphics make juuuust miss, to show how timing could make great plays end up being not so great. So Norwood's wouldn't be there... and neither would Buckner's miscue. Fisk's ball going foul would fit.
Old 10-24-2005, 12:38 PM   #27
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottimd
I would've liked to have seen Laettners last second shot vs Kentucky rim out or air ball.
Hell yeah.
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 12:42 PM   #28
Ksyrup

So on Jordan's shot against Utah, he wouldn't push off and the ball would end up 3 feet short of the rim?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 10-24-2005, 12:43 PM   #29
QuikSand
lolzcat

The commercial is great... and I wouldn't be shocked to see more of the same idea.

Maybe they could go with a "what might have happened if ______ has a proper hydration strategy at the big moment?" - presumably followed by Bill Buckner making the play, or the like.

Really good idea... lots of potential to go further with it, though I presume these are expenive to assemble. (beats me)
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 02:01 PM   #30
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I'd like to see one of these commercials with a talking bird explaining to his grandkids how he almost got killed by a Randy Johnson pitch.
Old 10-24-2005, 02:20 PM   #31
Ksyrup

Maybe the seagull Dave Winfield took out talking to the bird Randy Johnson exploded.
Old 10-24-2005, 02:24 PM   #32
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
Maybe the seagull Dave Winfield took out talking to the bird Randy Johnson exploded.

That would work. I was thinking of the seagull, too, but I couldn't remember who was responsible for it.

Maybe if Carl Lewis had been properly hydrated, he could have sung a perfect national anthem. C'mon, Gatorade, get creative!
Old 10-24-2005, 02:26 PM   #33
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors
That would work. I was thinking of the seagull, too, but I couldn't remember who was responsible for it.

Maybe if Carl Lewis had been properly hydrated, he could have sung a perfect national anthem. C'mon, Gatorade, get creative!

Carl Lewis will have none of that.
Old 10-24-2005, 02:39 PM   #34
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang
I can same this is about the first commercial I've seen where'd I'd like to see a sequel.
I dunno. I liked the Miller Lite chicks fighting sequels.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 02:40 PM   #35
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army
I dunno. I liked the Miller Lite chicks fighting sequels.

Make love, not war.