Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-17-2005, 08:00 PM   #1
Flasch186
Coordinator

Digital Audio question

What signal does it transfer? ALL of the the sound? do you still have to have the analog sound hooked up? The reason I ask is my sat receiver is set up for digital audio output, and the tuner is setup to receive it BUT when I unhook the analog sounds that are plugged in the sound goes off. Im doing thi because Im Sherlock Holmes'n for the cause of a whistle in my sound. So step one, Ive improved the quality of my cables so we'll see if there is lasting improvement there but if it truly is digital audio then why the need for the regular analog cables?

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL

Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 11:37 AM   #2
Hurst2112
College Starter

what are your settings for the digital out? It seems that you still have signal going to the analog outputs. Just because the red light is on in your 'lightpipe' port doesn't mean you are sending signal.

Quality of cables isn't USUALLY the problem. The whistle might be from the receiver (ground issue).
Hurst2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 12:55 PM   #3
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186
do you still have to have the analog sound hooked up?

No, in fact removing the analog hookup is a good test to make sure it's working. Most likely your receiver is not set up properly (it's still looking at the analog channel).

Quote:

So step one, Ive improved the quality of my cables so we'll see if there is lasting improvement there

IMO you won't notice any changes with improved cable unless you're running it over longer distances (8'+).
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 01:00 PM   #4
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
What signal does it transfer? ALL of the the sound? do you still have to have the analog sound hooked up? The reason I ask is my sat receiver is set up for digital audio output, and the tuner is setup to receive it BUT when I unhook the analog sounds that are plugged in the sound goes off. Im doing thi because Im Sherlock Holmes'n for the cause of a whistle in my sound. So step one, Ive improved the quality of my cables so we'll see if there is lasting improvement there but if it truly is digital audio then why the need for the regular analog cables?

I know with my digital cable, some channels do not have digital audio and some do. When I hooked up using the digital audio cable, not all the channels had sound. After researching it a bit, I found out that (at least for my cable box) you had to hook up both analog and digital audio to get sound on all the channels. I don't know if that could be the case for your sat receiver or not.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 01:10 PM   #5
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee
I know with my digital cable, some channels do not have digital audio and some do. When I hooked up using the digital audio cable, not all the channels had sound. After researching it a bit, I found out that (at least for my cable box) you had to hook up both analog and digital audio to get sound on all the channels. I don't know if that could be the case for your sat receiver or not.

DirectTV is all Digital (I assume Dish is too), but maybe he's using a different satellite service and a cheap box??

Try plugging the digital line into a DVD player (instead of your sat receiver) w/ a decent DVD and see if you can hear the DVD playing. That will clarify if your receiver is setup correctly, and if you eliminate the whistle, you've narrowed it down to your sat receiver.

Last edited by moriarty : 10-18-2005 at 01:11 PM.
Old 10-18-2005, 02:51 PM   #6
Flasch186
Coordinator

I have DirectTV, I have both analog and Digital hooked up.

just got off the phone with their tech support and they think its a bad receiver so theyre sending me a new HD receiver for 49.99 and a 2 year commitment which they could get from em as long as they have the NFL tix. so we'll find out what is causing this soon. He said the digital output should be all I need.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 10-18-2005, 07:47 PM   #7
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
I have DirectTV, I have both analog and Digital hooked up.

just got off the phone with their tech support and they think its a bad receiver so theyre sending me a new HD receiver for 49.99 and a 2 year commitment which they could get from em as long as they have the NFL tix. so we'll find out what is causing this soon. He said the digital output should be all I need.

Well, I wouldn't hold my breath on their tech support being right, but good luck. BTW - they were offering a Sunday Ticket Superfan deal where you could get a free receiver (or a HD receiver for $49.99) with only a 1 year committment ... but oh well.
Old 10-18-2005, 09:53 PM   #8
Flasch186
Coordinator

well turned out that tonight during Batman begins (GREAT) I heard the whistle whihc would lend itself to a reciever issue, again. The HD digital output still isnt working so a new set is fine by me and as long as DirectTV has the NFL pkg. they got me for life. NOW back to the whistle, seems like Im going to have to pursue that more diligently as a Denon receiver issue and try to get that remedied.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL