Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-16-2005, 03:46 PM   #1
JW
College Prospect

Saints-Falcon game ending

On the last play of the game the Falcons attempted a field goal to win the game. It missed. But a Saints lineman was called for defensive holding. The Falcons were allowed to kick again, the kick was made, and the Falcons won 34-31.

The ref explained that the Saints DL held the Falcons OL allowing a Saint player to run free into the backfield. I have never heard that call made in all my years of watching the NFL. So I'm wondering, how frequently is that call made in the NFL on a fieldgoal attempt. Has anyone ever seen it?

Likewise, the Falcons blocked a Saints field goal attempt at the end of the half and ran it back for a TD. A Falcons player hurdled the line to block the kick. I thought that was against the rules.

Of note, there were several bad calls in the game, including against the Falcons. Very entertaining game.

JW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 03:52 PM   #2
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW
A Falcons player hurdled the line to block the kick. I thought that was against the rules.

I thought the rule was that you could not be on the back of another player. If you were in the air, it is ok? I need to find a clarification of this.

Last edited by Tekneek : 10-16-2005 at 03:53 PM.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 03:53 PM   #3
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW
The ref explained that the Saints DL held the Falcons OL allowing a Saint player to run free into the backfield. I have never heard that call made in all my years of watching the NFL. So I'm wondering, how frequently is that call made in the NFL on a fieldgoal attempt. Has anyone ever seen it?

I've seen it several times. Happens once or twice a year that I see.

Quote:
Likewise, the Falcons blocked a Saints field goal attempt at the end of the half and ran it back for a TD. A Falcons player hurdled the line to block the kick. I thought that was against the rules.

I didn't see the play. It depends on who he hurlded and how. They are not allowed to "jump off" of a teammate in front of them. (goes to look it up)
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 03:53 PM   #4
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

It's a pretty rare call, but i've seen it a few times in my years of football.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 04:25 PM   #5
Logan
Head Coach

I believe they described the penalty as "pulling the OL out of position," (which allowed another defenseman to get thru the now vacant hole) not just "holding" him.

Still thought it sucked though.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 05:23 PM   #6
JW
College Prospect

I am told that in a postgame interview Haslett said he got the play from Atlanta, which has used it w/o a penalty being called. It makes no sense to me. A DL can pull an OL out of the way for the DL can get through the line, so why not so a teammate can get through?

As for the Atlanta player hurtling over the line, I am confused about that, too. He did not appear to jump off anyone's back, just to jump over the line. I still thought that was illegal but would welcome a correction if I'm wrong.
Old 10-16-2005, 05:48 PM   #7
Masked
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW
I am told that in a postgame interview Haslett said he got the play from Atlanta, which has used it w/o a penalty being called. It makes no sense to me. A DL can pull an OL out of the way for the DL can get through the line, so why not so a teammate can get through?

As for the Atlanta player hurtling over the line, I am confused about that, too. He did not appear to jump off anyone's back, just to jump over the line. I still thought that was illegal but would welcome a correction if I'm wrong.

Had the Atlanta player cleanly jumped over the lineman, it would have been legal. However, since he placed his hand on the back of the lineman for balance, it should have been a 15 yard penalty. The refs missed it.
Masked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 06:40 PM   #8
JW
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masked
Had the Atlanta player cleanly jumped over the lineman, it would have been legal. However, since he placed his hand on the back of the lineman for balance, it should have been a 15 yard penalty. The refs missed it.

Thanks for the info. Here is a more detailed explanation of the other call. Link.

http://www.nola.com/sportsflash/sain...orylist=saints

SAN ANTONIO (AP) — Atlanta Falcons kicker Todd Peterson's attempt sailed wide left, the "home" crowd erupted and one of the New Orleans Saints' best games of the season was headed to overtime.

Except for one problem: that yellow flag on the ground.

New Orleans was penalized for defensive holding on the missed kick, Peterson was moved five yards closer and, given another chance, booted the 36-yard field goal down the middle to send the Falcons to a wild 34-31 win Sunday.

While Falcons players danced around the field to celebrate their good fortune, Saints players started ripping off their helmets in anger as fans at the Alamodome threw paper out of the upper decks in disgust.

They had their reasons: Peterson had missed his first try in the final seconds and the Saints appeared to have survived. But defensive end Tony Bryant was flagged for holding because he grabbed a Falcons player to allow a teammate to try to block the kick.

The infraction had nothing to do with Peterson's missing the 41-yarder, but Atlanta was allowed to line up for another try nonetheless.

Peterson nailed it, leaving Saints coach Jim Haslett steaming and cursing after the loss.

"I'm telling you it was a flat-out (expletive) call," Haslett said in a remark that is likely to draw a fine from the NFL. He said the Saints ran the same play Atlanta had used a week earlier.

"They didn't call it last week. We were pulling the guy to the outside and you're allowed to pull as long as you're moving forward," he said.

"The guy fell on top of me," Bryant said. "If anything, he should have been called for holding. I was trying to make a play."

Referee Bill Carollo stood behind the call.

"It's considered a pull-and-shoot," Carollo said. "By definition of defensive holding on a field goal kick, two things have to happen. First, he has to have defensive holding and the second player has to shoot into the hole. That's what we called."

BTW, I'm told via another forum that Haslett used the word 'chickenshit' to describe the call, twice.

Last edited by JW : 10-16-2005 at 06:41 PM.
Old 10-16-2005, 06:42 PM   #9
Raiders Army
Coordinator

The expletive was "chickenshit"
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 06:52 PM   #10
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

'Twas a chickenshit call, but you can't put yourself in the position of letting the refs decide the game.
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 08:18 PM   #11
FBPro
College Starter

"Chicken****" happens Haslett, deal with it.
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 10:01 PM   #12
Dutch
"Dutch"

Hopefully, what comes around goes around.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 10:07 PM   #13
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Holding on the D-line must be a point of emphasis for NFL officials this year. I've seen it at least three times this year including last week's Bengals/Jags game.
JPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 10:51 PM   #14
SnowMan
High School Varsity

The guys on ESPN (Theismann and bunch) just said it was a point of emphasis this year. But it's tough when it decides a game. Not sure they need to emphasize it THAT much, unless it was totally blatant. I didn't see the play, but is sounds like it wasn't anything extraordinary.
SnowMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 11:35 PM   #15
LionsFan10
High School Varsity

Speaking of defensive holding, it was just called earlier in the Sunday night game between the Texans and the Seahawks. Up until this point, I had never heard of defensive holding either.
Old 10-17-2005, 08:47 AM   #16
rkmsuf
Head Coach

You can't call that there. Particularly when it had no effect on the kick. I don't care for Haslett but he's right. It was bush league.

I've said it before...the officiating is way too flag happy this season. Pats/Broncos did not feature a kickoff or punt without a penalty.
Old 10-17-2005, 05:16 PM   #17
ZXTT
n00b

Brian Young (ironically playing for NO yesterday) was called for defensive holding in a game against the Seahawks in Seattle in 2003. I think that was the first I'd seen of this type of call. I believe it cost the Rams the game.
ZXTT is offline   Reply With Quote