Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-12-2005, 06:56 AM   #1
Airhog
Captain Obvious

American Firehouse

I believe that most people at one time in their lives, have a fascination with fireman. Having said that, this new show on Discovery channel is pretty good. I've always wondered what a fireman does, and this shows has done a good job with it. Is anyone else watching this series?

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!

Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 10:43 AM   #2
pennywisesb
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhog
I believe that most people at one time in their lives, have a fascination with fireman. Having said that, this new show on Discovery channel is pretty good. I've always wondered what a fireman does, and this shows has done a good job with it. Is anyone else watching this series?

Yeah, this show is pretty intriguing. I live on the west coast and work as a fireman and the way we do things is completely different from the way they do things on the east coast. The west coast focuses on safety alot more than the east. Notice how half the time their turnouts aren't even buttoned or how they don't wear their masks sometimes while fighting fire? Its completely fascinating. If I tried some of that stuff here my captain would chew my ass.

Last edited by pennywisesb : 10-12-2005 at 10:43 AM.
pennywisesb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 10:45 AM   #3
KevinNU7
College Starter

Is this the show about the Firehouse in Boston? I remember watching the pilot but it was on a bad time slot so I couldn't keep up. Looked very cool and I really got into it because when I was in college I lived about 200 feet from the station.
Old 10-12-2005, 10:46 AM   #4
GreenMonster
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennywisesb
Yeah, this show is pretty intriguing. I live on the west coast and work as a fireman and the way we do things is completely different from the way they do things on the east coast. The west coast focuses on safety alot more than the east. Notice how half the time their turnouts aren't even buttoned or how they don't wear their masks sometimes while fighting fire? Its completely fascinating. If I tried some of that stuff here my captain would chew my ass.

Maybe they are more "old school" on the East Coast..
GreenMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 10:47 AM   #5
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennywisesb

That's very cool. We have a volunteer fire department in Burke. I've thought about joining, but my wife convinced me that I would probably be more of a liability than a help.
Old 10-12-2005, 11:24 AM   #6
JasonC23
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhog
I believe that most people at one time in their lives, have a fascination with fireman.

I really wasn't sure where you were going with this...
Old 10-12-2005, 11:28 AM   #7
pennywisesb
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonster
Maybe they are more "old school" on the East Coast.

They are completely more "old school" than the west coast. The east coast has so much more tradition as far as the fire service is concerned. I mean alot of those fire departments (Boston, NY, DC, Etc.) have been around for over 250+ years while the oldest fire department in California is SF I think and its only been around for alittle over 150 years or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamEdwards
That's very cool. We have a volunteer fire department in Burke. I've thought about joining, but my wife convinced me that I would probably be more of a liability than a help.

LOL. Well, you know it'd be a good way to stay active and see some cool stuff. The comraderie I've built with my co-workers is amazing.
Old 10-12-2005, 02:20 PM   #8
JasonC23
High School Varsity

Oh, and so no one thinks I'm a complete jackass, my uncle and cousin in Ohio are firefighters, and I feel lucky that people like them are the ones across the nation responding when the alarm sounds. I certainly could never do what they do.
Old 10-12-2005, 04:29 PM   #9
Airhog
Captain Obvious

Don't apologize for being funny man

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!
Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 12:18 PM   #10
hawk4669
High School JV

This is only my second post on FOFC...so be gentle. You know...like the new guy on the cell-block taking his first shower? Yeah...like that.

Anyways, I have seen a few episodes and have enjoyed the show. I've been a firefighter for nearly 13 years (4 years volunteer, going on 9 paid full time. The last three years spent as a Company Officer). I work in a small, Northern California department. Like some of you, I have always noticed the big difference between the East Coast/West Coast way of doing biz.

It is really easy for some of us to watch a show like this (based in Boston) and say things like, "Holy [insert favorite word here], I can't believe those guys are sooooo unsafe doing [insert unsafe act here]. Just like it is probably easy for East Coast brothers to say, "look at those pansies...just put the f'ing fire out!" What we all tend to forget from time to time is that when it comes down to it...we're doing the same job for the same goal. I look at the East vs. West much the same as Fire vs. Law Enforcement. We like to flick each other crap about things...but when it comes down to it, we have a mutual respect for the job each other does.

Those of you in the fire service are probably familiar with names like Alan Brunacini (Phoenix Fire) and Tom Brennen (retired FDNY). These two individuals are two of the best West and East have to offer. A few years ago they partook in a series of debates sponsored by Fire Engineering magazine on the whole East vs. West issue. If you ever get the chance and get the opportunity to watch...do it! You will appreciate what they both have to say, and find yourself nodding a lot. Keep in mind this is mostly a scripted performance...but in the end, we all find that tradition bound East Coasters and the technology happy West Coasters are pretty much the same breed of animal....just in different wrappers.

Anyways, just my two cents on how I view the show. I have enjoyed it and think when it comes down to it, anything that shows our profession and what we all strive to do is a positive thing.

Thanks...now be kind to the new guy around here. Please?

Cheers!
hawk4669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 12:30 PM   #11
pennywisesb
College Benchwarmer

Nice to have you around Hawk4669! What department do you work for up in Nor Cal out of curiosity?

I think your line :"we all find that tradition bound East Coasters and the technology happy West Coasters are pretty much the same breed of animal" pretty much summed it up pretty nicely.
Old 10-14-2005, 12:32 PM   #12
hawk4669
High School JV

Thanks for the welcome....after a year of lurking, I figured it was time to take the plunge.

Here is where I work. My dad was a Captain here for 33 years until retirement in 1997. I tested and got hired full time in 1997 and took his employment slot. It truely is a family business.

Cheers!
hawk4669 is offline   Reply With Quote