Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-10-2005, 07:18 PM   #1
Raiders Army
Coordinator

How much did you get Jeebs?

hxxp://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2186402

Quote:
Time Inc. settles suit filed by former Alabama coach
EL PASO, Texas -- Texas-El Paso football coach Mike Price felt vindicated after a settlement was reached with Time Inc. over a Sports Illustrated article recounting a night of drinking at a topless bar in Florida.

"I'm one happy man right now," Price said Monday. "I can't tell you how much I appreciated my wife, Joyce, and my family's loyalty and love. Without their strength, encouragement and support I don't know if I would have made it."

Price sued the magazine for $20 million, claiming he was defamed and slandered by a story detailing his actions the night he visited a topless bar in Pensacola, Fla., in April 2003 while still head coach at Alabama.

He acknowledged being heavily intoxicated, but denied allegations of sex at his hotel that the magazine reported. Alabama fired Price a few days before the article was published.

When asked about that night at the strip club, he paused Monday and said, "I definitely would have made a different decision that one night, no question. That was a bad night."

Price, who made his comments during UTEP's regularly scheduled weekly news conference, said he couldn't discuss any details of the settlement reached late Friday. In a statement, the publisher did not disclose terms but said the suit was "amicably resolved."

"Mr. Price asserts that certain events were falsely reported in the story. Sports Illustrated continues to stand behind its story," the Time Inc. statement said. Time Inc. owns Sports Illustrated.

Rick McCabe, a spokesman for Time Inc., said the settlement also resolved Price's claims against reporter Don Yaeger, who wrote the Sports Illustrated article and still works for the magazine.

The lawsuit was closely watched in part because it developed into a fight over the magazine's right to protect confidential sources it said were used in the report.

The 11th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled in July that Alabama law did not protect Sports Illustrated from having to identify a confidential source whose identity was sought by Price's attorney, Steven Heninger. The court said the law specifically protected newspapers and broadcast news reports, but not magazines.

McCabe declined comment on whether the magazine or Yaeger had turned over the names of sources used in the story.

In a phone interview Monday, Heninger said Lori ``Destiny'' Boudreaux, a dancer at the Pensacola bar where Price was drinking, gave a sworn affidavit saying she was Yaeger's confidential source. The affidavit was not part of the 11th circuit's record when it ruled, he said.

Heninger said her account to the magazine was based on hearsay and not direct knowledge of what happened in Price's hotel room.

"She was never in the room. No sex. She merely told Yeager there were two people there. That's all they had," he said.

Heninger also issued the following statement through Price: "We have won every legal battle at every corner. We think we have vindicated his name. Two and a half years ago we said we would, and we think we have."

Price also reiterated that he was unjustly fired from Alabama.

So did he offer any money to his most ardent supporter at FOFC?

Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 04:36 AM   #2
Ragone
Pro Rookie

he's rolling in it..
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 10:37 AM   #3
JeeberD
General Manager

Him getting cash from SI is good news for UTEP. That's less incentive for him to leave El Paso for a school that can pay him more...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 10:50 AM   #4
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD
Him getting cash from SI is good news for UTEP. That's less incentive for him to leave El Paso for a school that can pay him more...
I'd really be surprised if he made that mistake again (leaving for big money).
Old 10-11-2005, 11:02 AM   #5
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD
Do you need a financial incentive to leave El Paso? Isn't getting out of El Paso period incentive enough?

kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 11:04 AM   #6
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSUCougar
I'd really be surprised if he made that mistake again (leaving for big money).

Agreed, but the extra cash can't hurt. By all accounts he loves life in El Paso, where he's treated like a king...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19
Do you need a financial incentive to leave El Paso? Isn't getting out of El Paso period incentive enough?

Old 10-12-2005, 11:49 PM   #7
JeeberD
General Manager

Fucking lawyers...

Associated Press

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. -- Time Inc. asked a judge to throw out its settlement and dismiss defamation claims of former Alabama football coach Mike Price over a Sports Illustrated article recounting his night of drunken partying at a Florida strip joint, court documents showed Wednesday.

In a motion filed in federal court, Time claimed Price and his lawyer, Steve Heninger, violated an agreement to make only limited public comments about the deal, reached last week to resolve Price's $20 million defamation suit against the magazine, which Time publishes.

Heninger denied violating the settlement's terms.

U.S. District Judge Lynwood Smith made no immediate ruling Wednesday on the motion, filed late Tuesday, but he did grant Time's request to seal court documents related to terms of the settlement.

In announcing the settlement on Monday, Time released a four-sentence statement saying the case was "amicably resolved" and that it continued to stand by the story, which Price claimed was false in key parts.

Afterward, Price held a news conference at Texas-El Paso, where he now coaches, and said he felt vindicated. In a written statement issued by UTEP, Price called the agreement a "great victory."

Arguing that Price and Heninger violated the settlement by saying far more than was in the magazine's brief statement, Time asked the court to dismiss Price's suit -- which would have the effect of throwing out the settlement -- and to make the coach pay the company's legal bills.

Heninger said his and Price's comments did not violate the settlement.

"I'm filing a motion to enforce the agreement. We have never disclosed any terms of the agreement or anything outside the public record," he said.

"We do consider that we won this case at every legal juncture. But we have not and will not disclose terms of the agreement," Heninger said.

Price filed suit against Time claiming he was defamed and slandered by a Sports Illustrated story detailing his actions the night he visited a topless bar in Pensacola, Fla., in April 2003 while still head coach at Alabama.

Price has publicly acknowledged being heavily intoxicated, but denied allegations of sex with two women in his hotel room that the magazine reported. University of Alabama President Robert Witt fired Price a few days before the article was published.

Old 10-12-2005, 11:51 PM   #8
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Heh, I just noticed that UTEP lost last week. That's a shame.
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 12:20 AM   #9
JeeberD
General Manager

Bullshit, you lie!

We had a bye last week