Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-06-2005, 09:18 PM   #1
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Our ghosts are little thieves

a couple of you might remember the old thread where we discovered a picture hanging over our bed sitting on the floor next to the bed, in a way that it could not have fallen. I didn't rule out either me sleepwalking or a mischevious ghost.

fast forward to a couple of years later, and some odd stuff is happening again. basically, odd things are disappearing. like really odd things. first thing was my toothbrush. just went to brush my teeth one day and it was not there, not behind the sink, not anywhere. gone like a freight train, gone like yesterday.

then it was a remote. everyone loses remotes, but this one isn't in any of the usual spots, and I KNOW exactly where it was the last time I used it.

and you know those little things your wife puts on the top of your stove or counter to put your dirty wooden spoons while you're cooking? yep, noticed last night that it is gone. I mean, that thing never goes ANYWHERE - it's either on the stove, or in the dishwasher 2 feet away.

I wonder what I did to piss them off?

Draft Dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 09:32 PM   #2
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

Location: Caught somewhere between Raising Hell and Amazing Grace...
Quote:
and you know those little things your wife puts on the top of your stove or counter to put your dirty wooden spoons while you're cooking? yep, noticed last night that it is gone. I mean, that thing never goes ANYWHERE - it's either on the stove, or in the dishwasher 2 feet away.

Um, that is called a spoon rest
oliegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 09:35 PM   #3
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

spoon rest? that makes sense.

well then, a ghost stole my spoon rest
Old 10-06-2005, 09:43 PM   #4
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!!
A few years later I was cooking and my daughter (4) comes in and starts talking into an open cabinet. I asked her if it was one of her imaginary friends. She says "No. It's a ghost. He says his name is Fred and he's your friend." Scared the ____ out of me.

For some reason, this is funny.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 09:44 PM   #5
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I had a ghost. The first thing he did was turn on my radio one time. This radio had a switch that was tough to throw, but one time it came on. Scared the ____ outta me. Then my front door was open one time when I came home. Nothing was missing, but the door was open. I figured I left it open accidentally (I left out the side door) until a couple months later when I was in the dining room and the door opened by itself. The screen door was untouched (it was broke and wouldn't open without a shove.)

I would see doors moving by themselves, and once I woke up to a door creaking as it moved quickly back and forth. I had nicknamed him "Fred," as in Freddie's Dead. I said FRED STOP MOVING THE DAMN DOOR! And it stopped. There was no going back to sleep. I told him he could move the door. Nothing. I apologized and told him that if he wanted to move the door, to go ahead. It started creaking as it moved back and forth again.

One time, I was up late playing Tecmo Super Bowl. The alarm went off for my g/f to get up and go to work. She hit the snooze a couple times, then after it shut off I her footsteps come down the hall. They ended behind me. I said "So you finally got your lazy ass up, huh?" and there was no answer. I turned around and was alone in the room. Talk about a chill going down your back! I checked and she was still sound asleep.

A few years later I was cooking and my daughter (4) comes in and starts talking into an open cabinet. I asked her if it was one of her imaginary friends. She says "No. It's a ghost. He says his name is Fred and he's your friend." Scared the ____ out of me.

If this is true, I'd sell the house.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 09:45 PM   #6
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
I had a ghost. The first thing he did was turn on my radio one time. This radio had a switch that was tough to throw, but one time it came on. Scared the ____ outta me. Then my front door was open one time when I came home. Nothing was missing, but the door was open. I figured I left it open accidentally (I left out the side door) until a couple months later when I was in the dining room and the door opened by itself. The screen door was untouched (it was broke and wouldn't open without a shove.)

I would see doors moving by themselves, and once I woke up to a door creaking as it moved quickly back and forth. I had nicknamed him "Fred," as in Freddie's Dead. I said FRED STOP MOVING THE DAMN DOOR! And it stopped. There was no going back to sleep. I told him he could move the door. Nothing. I apologized and told him that if he wanted to move the door, to go ahead. It started creaking as it moved back and forth again.

One time, I was up late playing Tecmo Super Bowl. The alarm went off for my g/f to get up and go to work. She hit the snooze a couple times, then after it shut off I her footsteps come down the hall. They ended behind me. I said "So you finally got your lazy ass up, huh?" and there was no answer. I turned around and was alone in the room. Talk about a chill going down your back! I checked and she was still sound asleep.

Um...why didn't you move out? This is a horror movie just waiting to be written.
Antmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 09:52 PM   #7
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger
a couple of you might remember the old thread where we discovered a picture hanging over our bed sitting on the floor next to the bed, in a way that it could not have fallen. I didn't rule out either me sleepwalking or a mischevious ghost.

fast forward to a couple of years later, and some odd stuff is happening again. basically, odd things are disappearing. like really odd things. first thing was my toothbrush. just went to brush my teeth one day and it was not there, not behind the sink, not anywhere. gone like a freight train, gone like yesterday.

then it was a remote. everyone loses remotes, but this one isn't in any of the usual spots, and I KNOW exactly where it was the last time I used it.

I wonder what I did to piss them off?

Another explanation is if you have any children. They are capable of making a lot of things disappear.
Antmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 10:16 PM   #8
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

I am calling BS.
Old 10-06-2005, 10:17 PM   #9
mrsimperless
College Prospect

My theory is that DD has a murderous alternate personality.
Old 10-06-2005, 10:48 PM   #10
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
After I sent her out of the room I said "Fred, if you want to communicate I am more than willing to communicate with you. But leave my daughter alone. If you are just going to play games and talk to her you are not welcome here. Please leave."

The strangest thing is after that the house felt different. It used to always be cold. Even in the summertime, it was nice and cool. After that, the house was hot as hell in the summer.

And yes, I did sell the house. And all of it is true.

Old 10-06-2005, 10:52 PM   #11
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
After I sent her out of the room I said "Fred, if you want to communicate I am more than willing to communicate with you. But leave my daughter alone. If you are just going to play games and talk to her you are not welcome here. Please leave."

The strangest thing is after that the house felt different. It used to always be cold. Even in the summertime, it was nice and cool. After that, the house was hot as hell in the summer.

And yes, I did sell the house. And all of it is true.

I would have kept the ghost around and lowered my electric bill.
Old 10-06-2005, 11:04 PM   #12
mrsimperless
College Prospect

I thought it was bad to talk to ghosts. Like they would then possess you or something. As a general rule I do not associate with them. Most of my current friends are bad enough without someone other than Jack or Jim taking control of my body away from me.
Old 10-06-2005, 11:40 PM   #13
sabotai
General Manager

One time, this ghost told me to kill my parents, so I did. Then these nice people gave me a new family and I'm much happier now. Ghosts are nice people.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 12:28 AM   #14
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Quote:
a ghost stole my spoon rest

Damn this would have made a fine thread title!

Last edited by Peregrine : 10-07-2005 at 12:28 AM.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 12:51 AM   #15
timmynausea
College Starter

So this ghost is rearranging your paintings, reminding you to get a new tooth brush every 6 months and replacing your tacky spoon rest? Is it Christopher Lowell?
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 01:29 AM   #16
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I had a ghost. The first thing he did was turn on my radio one time.

You should get your ghost to work for you and have HIM get to your job at 3:45...

You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 07:44 AM   #17
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

well, wouldn't you know it? the spoon rest and my toothbrush reappeared within hours of me posting this.

now if I could just find that damn remote...
Old 10-07-2005, 08:00 AM   #18
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
well, wouldn't you know it? the spoon rest and my toothbrush reappeared within hours of me posting this.

Yeah, sorry about that. That spoon rest just needed a good scrubbing that could only come from an old worn toothbrush. But you're just so damn nosy about your stuff, I couldn't get them out of your sight!
Old 10-07-2005, 10:35 AM   #19
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Where did you find them at?
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 02:50 PM   #20
timmynausea
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
Where did you find them at?

They were among some of the ghost's things in the attic.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 02:52 PM   #21
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmynausea
So this ghost is rearranging your paintings, reminding you to get a new tooth brush every 6 months and replacing your tacky spoon rest? Is it Christopher Lowell?

Ghost Eye for the Live Guy
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 05:20 PM   #22
JeeberD
General Manager

The ghost and bats are in cahoots to drive DD loco!

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 06:27 PM   #23
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

(sheepishly): found the remote today too...
Old 10-08-2005, 10:07 AM   #24
Sidhe
H.S. Freshman Team

I have been in a couple of haunted houses. I don't think they are all the same thing. One house did definitely seem to have a discarnate person there. We even knew who it was -- the lady who rented the house had lost her husband about 2 years previous in that house. Well, we found him.

He was pretty polite but he did like to let you know he was there. Mainly though he did stuff that wasn't scary like tinkering in the workroom. I'd hear it and go in there and there would be nobody there.

In a place that wasn't haunted we did get some kind of "visitation" until I told whatever it was that it wasn't welcome and in God's name get out! Before that, it was hiding stuff too. The most interesting case was a dog's leash. My wife and I were turning the house upside down looking for that leash. We had both separately searched a certain chair where we often would leave it (it was near the basement door where wed go out with the dog). We searched in behind the cushions. I even turned the seat cushion over to look down in the far reaches of the upholstry.. Finally we gave up. But as soon as we'd said we quit, we looked at that chair, and the leash was sitting ON TOP OF THE SEAT CUSHION! Obviously, it could not have been there when we were searching that chair before..

When we moved to this new house I worried a little that the ghost would follow us, because it could not have been attached to the home we had been living in, it was less than five years old and we were the first owners. I wondered if it was attached to something someone had given us but nothing obvious jumped out at me.

Then my four year old started having trouble in his room with "lights". He couldn't explain what was going on in a way I could understand, but I understood he was talking about something real, not imaginary. At about the same time, each of us in the house (there are three adults here counting my little-sister-in-law) began to actually SEE someone. We all thought it was one of us, but then when we turned our attention to it fully it would disappear. The crazy thing was even my lilsisinlaw thought that the person she was seeing was HERSELF, and my wife and I both thought it had looked like her too. These were independent observations each made before we began to discuss it with each other.

When my son ran into my room one night talking about the lights, I got up to go look in his room. As I turned into his door I stopped short because I ALMOST FRIKKIN' RAN INTO HER! She was so clearly physically there, though it was dark and I couldn't see anything but a silhouette.

Of course I freaked and ran back to my bedroom! Brave daddy.. So I went through this mental exercise of inviting the Holy Ghost to cleanse each room in my house. I imagined a bright white light shining in each room. I went through the whole house (this is in my imagination understand) and even the attic space. Then I did the yard.

Nothing has happened since. I can't remember where I read the Holy Ghost visualization method, but it does seem to work.

Anyway, ghosts aren't really dangerous, but they sure give you the willies..
Sidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 10:21 AM   #25
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

I had a ghost once too but I think I was drunk at the time
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 10:52 AM   #26
Anthony
Banned

this is all hogwash.

i'm not saying you people are making this up, i'm positive you're all being sincere. what i'm saying is none of this stuff is the work of ghosts. people have to learn that just because something can't be explained doesn't make it the work of ghosts.

regarding Fred the ghost, you don't think perhaps your daughter might have heard you speaking to this "ghost" on occassion, and started making up fantasies about a ghost? you yourself said you proclaimed loudly to the "ghost" to leave the damn door alone. in a quiet house at nite i'm sure it's possible people in nearby rooms could have heard it.

my wife and i are staying in her parent's house temporarily as we prepare to close on our new house. we sleep in her deceased grandmother's old bedroom. since i'm a warm person we mostly sleep with the AC on (even now). the door, even though i close it, will make noises that seems like it's being opened and closed every once in a while, almost as if someone were peaking in and closing it lightly. obviously, it has something to do with the AC blowing air, the door is rather old so it likely doesn't shut properly. my mind quickly raced to imagining her dead grandmother opening the door, but i quickly, quickly, quickly dismissed it laughingly as something that someone who believed in ghosts would think.

the guy who pretended the Holy Spirit went into each room and cleansed it of spirits - let me ask you - you don't think that maybe visualizing that something made the spirits go away just made you feel safer and more calm so that you stopped visualizing ghosts in your house? when i was a little boy, like 10, 12, i was very scared to have Freddie Kruger in my bedroom. being the imaginative little boy i was i pretended to take a grenade and pull the pin, i'd set it on my belly and count to 10. at 10 it would "explode" and an invisible forcefield/dome would cover my bed. this field was so strong that Freddie Kruger couldn't penetrate it. of course, after the field would be up i'd be able to go straight to bed.

now, was there a real grenade? obviously no. did i have a real invisibe forcefield pretecting me? again, no. but i had peace of mind.

same thing that happened to you. just substitute the Holy Spirit with the invisible forcefield - the end result is all the same...you feel more safe.

doesn't mean anything was actually ever in your house.

Last edited by Anthony : 10-08-2005 at 10:54 AM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 11:00 AM   #27
Anthony
Banned

also, people are easily mislead.

say i take you to two houses, one i say absolutely does not have ghosts and was recently blessed by a priest, and the other house is known to be haunted with the ghost of the last owner.

when you go into the non-ghost house, and a door opens on its own you dismiss it as a draft in the house. hear a noise coming from upstairs? just a nearby tree tapping on the window, you'd say.

when we were to go to the "haunted" house, immediately any noise you hear, anything that has gone missing is the play of ghosts in your mind. you start to say to yourself "a sound came from the basement, but if there's no one there that means a ghosts did it. i mean, surely, a rodent couldn't have knocked around some tools and quickly scampered away when i came down to check." see my point?
Old 10-08-2005, 11:04 AM   #28
Sidhe
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Atlantic
see my point?

Not the way you want me to! I see how people are easily mislead by their own disbelief.

If these things hadn't happened to me, I wouldn't believe them either. My mind would be like a stone wall.

The tinkerer did something once that no rodent did -- I saw a croquet ball roll up out of a bowl and across a table, then onto the floor and slowly across the room.

Unless the mouse was invisible of course..
Sidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 11:12 AM   #29
Anthony
Banned

humans, when they're alive, don't have the ability to move physical objects without touching them. when we die all of sudden we're supposed to be granted powers to move tangible things in "meta-physical" ghost form?

i'll be honest, i'm not saying i don't believe in ghosts. i do in one sense - i believe that you can feel the "presence" of a spirit. that feeling of being watched, or a disturbing feeling you get when you walk into a dark, strange room, sure, i could say that's *probably* (not definitely) the presence of a spirit. but i don't for one second ever entertain the notion that a presence, or "ghost", has the ability to be anything other than an observer, and not a "tinkerer".
Old 10-08-2005, 12:00 PM   #30
bbor
Pro Starter

Glad i did'nt read this thread before i went to bed last night.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 04:03 PM   #31
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Not to threadjack, but this is somewhat along the same lines...

We just finished watching the remake of The Amityville Horror. It got me to thinking about infinite evil. I believe there are evil spirits out there...more than the bump in the night stuff or Casper the Friendly Ghost. I wondered who would believe me if I saw one or had an encounter with an evil spirit? Wouldn't a priest, minister, reverend, etc. be the best choice? Since those people believe in infinite good without proof, why wouldn't they believe in infinite evil without proof?

Just a question to the men of faith out there (not just the preachers, etc.): Do you believe in ghosts, evil spirits, etc?
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 04:11 PM   #32
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

If I were a ghost (and no, I don't believe in any paranormal crap), and I were a Democrat, I'd be off haunting George W. Or Bonnie Bernstein if I were just a sports fan who didn't care about politics.

I would imagine that celebrities and those in power would be so innundated with ghost visits that they'd have a hard time functioning. Think about it. If you were a ghost, would you hide the car keys, or would you open up cabinets and look for diaries and sex tapes?

Some people can't remember where they put the car keys and swear they've been moved. Doors open and close because of drafts - we have one in our house that's very annoying. But you can time any change to when the heat turns on and off.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 04:14 PM   #33
Flasch186
Coordinator

Fred seemed nice, youre a dick for kicking him out.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 04:29 PM   #34
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
I shut the light and turned on a different one. It stayed on. Whatever wanted the light off, I let have its way.

Sissy!
Old 10-08-2005, 05:14 PM   #35
Silver Owl
High School JV

I currently live in a house that my step-father built. He passed away at 10:10 a.m. Christmas Day 2003. My wife was given an antique mantle clock that was her Grandmothers. The clock hasn't worked for many, many years. We had it on our mantle with the hands positioned at 12:00. About a week after my stepfather died the clocks hands were at 10:10. Needless to say I about shit myself when I noticed it.

I am skepital about ghosts and things of that nature but i can't explain that one. I was at the hospital when he died but my wife wasn't and I don't think there is any way she could have known exactly what time he died.
Silver Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 06:09 PM   #36
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Owl
I currently live in a house that my step-father built. He passed away at 10:10 a.m. Christmas Day 2003. My wife was given an antique mantle clock that was her Grandmothers. The clock hasn't worked for many, many years. We had it on our mantle with the hands positioned at 12:00. About a week after my stepfather died the clocks hands were at 10:10. Needless to say I about shit myself when I noticed it.

I am skepital about ghosts and things of that nature but i can't explain that one. I was at the hospital when he died but my wife wasn't and I don't think there is any way she could have known exactly what time he died.

Freaky.
Old 10-08-2005, 06:34 PM   #37
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Owl

Dr. Crane, your glockenshpiel has spung to life!
Old 10-08-2005, 07:00 PM   #38
Jonathan Ezarik
College Benchwarmer

For those that are interested in ghosts, check out Mary Roach's new book Spook: Science Tackles the Afterlife.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846
Jonathan Ezarik is offline   Reply With Quote