Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-29-2005, 05:20 AM   #1
wade moore
lolzcat

Personal Vent: Boss Used as Scapegoat

Ok... I generally don't share a ton personal stuff on this board and stick mostly to the sports and game threads for posting...

However, I needed to vent about something that happened in my life yesterday... I'm really not seeking advice (although I'm not against it), but more just need to vent and get it off of my chest. I've vented to SWMBO'd, but I just need to spit it out in writing for some reason...

I have shared with at least some before that I am a "First Line Leader" (Intro level Management) on a VERY large Help Desk. Well, I have been relatively disgruntled with my job lately (11-12 hour days forced for 2 months, 85 mile round trip commute, understaffed personnel, issues with upper level leadership, etc). One of my main saving grace's has been my relationship with my boss. I guess you could essentially call me his 'right hand man' when it comes down to it. He has mentored me, I have served as his backup, I respect him a ton, etc.

Well, it all came crashing down yesterday. We have had some issues meeting our metrics lately (due very largely to the understaffed issue mentioned above). There is one metric in particular that has continued to challenge us. Well, with no warning at all my boss is pulled in by his boss and told that he will have to leave our organization (not fired, but forced to move elsewhere within our company - it is a large company). This is despite the fact that, in my (and many others) opinion, the blame lies on the boss two levels up from me who was told repeatedly to hire more people and would not. So, essentially with no warning my boss was made the scapegoat in order to, again in my opinion, save his job.

Sigh... It just sucks because right now I'm the only one that knows (my boss called me) and in the meantime I'm just "backing him up" until someone actually tells us that he's gone and what is going on. So.. I'm in total limbo.. I have to assume that my position on the totum poll changes since I will be forever associated with him, etc...

Meh.

(Side Note: I have already been looking for another job for about 6 months because of the other issues, with very little success as the job market down here is not exactly stellar - but I have no desire to move.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...

wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 10:20 AM   #2
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Don't really have advice. Maybe different circumstances, but we've probably all been there in our respective jobs. I'm in a pretty large company, full of all the office politics and other garbage. The way of the world seems to be your manager (OK, not so in your case it sounds) can't do your job. And his/her manager doesn't even know who you are.

Good luck finding something else. We're all looking for that greener grass.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 11:38 AM   #3
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I lost my last job in a mess of politics in a small company. I feel for you. Good luck on whatever your next move is.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 12:03 PM   #4
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

I have a similar relationship with my boss, in fact, I was looking to leave my current job when he was hired and haven't thought twice about leaving since. He and I work well together and we get along like old friends...definitely makes going to work enjoyable rather than a drag. Now, if he were to leave, I think I would probably be right behind him, heck, I'd fully expect him to hire me where ever ends up going.

So, I can just imagine how you must feel and I hope another, more suitable oppurtunity comes your way sooner rather than later.

Best of luck to you.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 12:52 PM   #5
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyshaka
I have a similar relationship with my boss, in fact, I was looking to leave my current job when he was hired and haven't thought twice about leaving since. He and I work well together and we get along like old friends...definitely makes going to work enjoyable rather than a drag. Now, if he were to leave, I think I would probably be right behind him, heck, I'd fully expect him to hire me where ever ends up going.

So, I can just imagine how you must feel and I hope another, more suitable oppurtunity comes your way sooner rather than later.

Best of luck to you.

*crosses fingers*...

it's great doing his job for two days straight with no one actually telling me or the rest of our team that he's gone...

*sigh*..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 11:19 PM   #6
Rizon
Pro Starter

Welcome to office life. I've seen this about 474,000 times.

You have two choices: Screw or be screwed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote