Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-18-2005, 10:27 AM   #1
wade moore
lolzcat

Blitz: The League

I had kind of written this game off and forgotten about it...

While bored at work today, I was searching the ign website and came across info for it.

Wow.

If this game lives up to what they say it could do, it would be REALLY fun. It may not be the sim replacement for madden, but it definately sounds like it is engrossing and just fun.. Kind of like GTA meets Madden.

Go to http://sports.ign.com/articles/641/641564p1.html and check out the video, or other articles on the site.

It really seems like this is a game I might buy and enjoy... now if it just did MP... hopefully that will come if this game is good...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...

wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 10:31 AM   #2
wade moore
lolzcat

Dola:

http://media.sports.ign.com/articles...64/vids_1.html

This video may show more specifically how this game would appeal to folks here.

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 09-18-2005, 10:36 AM   #3
Flasch186
Coordinator

did he say, "Whomp the shit out of the opponent." LOL

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 10:58 AM   #4
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Available on PC?
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 11:02 AM   #5
SegRat
High School Varsity

This game has had my interest for awhile. Depending on what the ratings get for it I may have to buy a ps2 again.
Old 09-18-2005, 11:20 AM   #6
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SegRat
This game has had my interest for awhile. Depending on what the ratings get for it I may have to buy a ps2 again.
The game has me interested. I hope I can implement my own offense too. I like the createe a team feature also. Just buy it for the x-box.
Old 09-18-2005, 01:15 PM   #7
Riggins44
High School JV

It's right next to Maximum Football on my "Not expecting much" list. The gameplay videos have looked stiff and too over the top for me. Also, there appears to only be a season mode... no career/franchise mode? All that crap between games will surely get repetitive (like the weekly highlights in ESPN 2k5) and uninteresting.
Riggins44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 01:30 PM   #8
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riggins44
It's right next to Maximum Football on my "Not expecting much" list. The gameplay videos have looked stiff and too over the top for me. Also, there appears to only be a season mode... no career/franchise mode? All that crap between games will surely get repetitive (like the weekly highlights in ESPN 2k5) and uninteresting.
I think in the programmer in the interview said you'll get to see your team grow from cup cake to power house over the years, or something along that line.
Old 09-18-2005, 01:34 PM   #9
Passacaglia
Coordinator

So, uh...is it available on PC?
Old 09-18-2005, 01:36 PM   #10
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia
So, uh...is it available on PC?

Nope, just Xbox and PS2.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 01:39 PM   #11
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman
Nope, just Xbox and PS2.

Screw you guys, I'm going home!
Old 09-18-2005, 02:46 PM   #12
Deattribution
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riggins44
Also, there appears to only be a season mode... no career/franchise mode? All that crap between games will surely get repetitive (like the weekly highlights in ESPN 2k5) and uninteresting.

Did you bother to even read the article's second paragraph?

In Blitz's campaign mode, you're hired to rejuvenate a franchise drowning in their losing ways. The mode is fully customizable as you draft your rookies, even watch your team brawl in clubs and flirt with the girls dancing on the sidelines.
Deattribution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 03:03 PM   #13
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

I think it'll be a decent and fun game to play.
Old 09-18-2005, 04:24 PM   #14
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

it'll be a decent beer and pretzel game I bet
Old 09-18-2005, 04:26 PM   #15
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186
did he say, "Whomp the shit out of the opponent." LOL

Probably my favorite part of the video as well.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 06:14 PM   #16
Galaril
Pro Starter

No franchise it is going to consist of a 33 game season that has three stages. There will be 18 teams including your team in three divisions. One division is the top division in talent and prstige followed by the next and the bottom division where you and your team start. You play ten games and I think the top two teams in the divisions have a playoff if you win you move up to the next division play ten more games and once agian a playoff in your division winner moves up again. I guess if you loss you stay in the bottom division or if you are in one of the upper divisions you drop down a lower division. That is the basic premise of the solo game plus some online xbox live mode. There is NO franchsie mode of any kind no draft of rookies from college accept the initial beginning of the game and I think you get to pick just one rookie stud and one veteran star free agent player at the beginning. The game will changebased on what team you choose and which rookie and veteran.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 08:01 PM   #17
Riggins44
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deattribution
Did you bother to even read the article's second paragraph?

In Blitz's campaign mode, you're hired to rejuvenate a franchise drowning in their losing ways. The mode is fully customizable as you draft your rookies, even watch your team brawl in clubs and flirt with the girls dancing on the sidelines.

Must have glazed over it when I saw the "flirt with the girls dancing"... oh man this is going to be all style and no substance.
Riggins44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 12:10 AM   #18
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Idea is interesting. Execution seems to be the key here, and that strikes me as a big question mark. In the video, they show a lot of their cut scenes and dramatically violent plays, but not much on what the actual game play will look like.

If game play is good and the story mode/gameplay/team development all mesh together, it could be an excellent game. Seems to me that the story mode has got to be variable enough to make gamers want to play through it more than once.

I think the odds are against them pulling it off, but I admire the innovation.
Godzilla Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 12:48 AM   #19
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Checked out a couple of videos. I love the in-game tackles, and the celebrations are pretty nice. Of course, players talking shit to each other in the line of scrimmage is pretty refreshing.
Old 09-19-2005, 06:59 AM   #20
wade moore
lolzcat

I think we have to keep in mind that this is still meant to maintain at least some element of "arcade" play... I am not expecting a perfect simulation on the field, but a bit over the top play..

I see this as potentially, and key in on potentially, a game with a different, more interactive off-the-field mode and some fun, fast on-field action..

The price could make a big difference in whether I buy it...

Quote:
Old 09-19-2005, 07:22 AM   #21
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril
No franchise it is going to consist of a 33 game season that has three stages. There will be 18 teams including your team in three divisions. One division is the top division in talent and prstige followed by the next and the bottom division where you and your team start. You play ten games and I think the top two teams in the divisions have a playoff if you win you move up to the next division play ten more games and once agian a playoff in your division winner moves up again. I guess if you loss you stay in the bottom division or if you are in one of the upper divisions you drop down a lower division. That is the basic premise of the solo game plus some online xbox live mode. There is NO franchsie mode of any kind no draft of rookies from college accept the initial beginning of the game and I think you get to pick just one rookie stud and one veteran star free agent player at the beginning. The game will changebased on what team you choose and which rookie and veteran.

Wow. that kind of sucks.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 02:20 PM   #22
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Hopefully you guys check out the campaign mode cut-scenes at least once - that was the bulk of the work I did on the project (editing the original animations, adding the lip-synch and facial expressions). I didn't work on all of them, but quite a few. I just hope the programmers didn't have to cut out too much of that detail to meet the frame play requirements...
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 03:01 PM   #23
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan
Hopefully you guys check out the campaign mode cut-scenes at least once - that was the bulk of the work I did on the project (editing the original animations, adding the lip-synch and facial expressions). I didn't work on all of them, but quite a few. I just hope the programmers didn't have to cut out too much of that detail to meet the frame play requirements...

Are any of the ones you did in the preview vidoes?

Edited: For Clarity...

Quote:

Last edited by wade moore : 09-19-2005 at 03:02 PM.
Old 09-19-2005, 03:36 PM   #24
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Let me go check...
Old 09-19-2005, 04:42 PM   #25
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Yep. The very first shot you see, with the guy grabbing the facemask of the downed player I worked on. Of the longer shots, the one with the owner and the mayor up in the luxury box checking out the practice (the mayor has the binoculars) and the one where the bookie and thugs are threatening the vet while he's lifting weights are the other ones on that reel I worked on. My favorite one I worked on isn't on there though - it's where the rookie sees the vet chatting up his favorite cheerleader and gets pissed-off. Lot's of nice acting to convey through the facial expressions...

Keep in mind that these files might have been subject to additional editing after I moved off the Blitz project. For example, I know I had the Mayor's hands on the binoculars correctly when I finished with that file. Also, all of those files had multiple people work on them in various stages. I was a latecomer to Blitz.
Old 09-19-2005, 06:13 PM   #26
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Man this looks really good.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 09:11 PM   #27
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Yep. The very first shot you see, with the guy grabbing the facemask of the downed player I worked on. Of the longer shots, the one with the owner and the mayor up in the luxury box checking out the practice (the mayor has the binoculars) and the one where the bookie and thugs are threatening the vet while he's lifting weights are the other ones on that reel I worked on. My favorite one I worked on isn't on there though - it's where the rookie sees the vet chatting up his favorite cheerleader and gets pissed-off. Lot's of nice acting to convey through the facial expressions...

Keep in mind that these files might have been subject to additional editing after I moved off the Blitz project. For example, I know I had the Mayor's hands on the binoculars correctly when I finished with that file. Also, all of those files had multiple people work on them in various stages. I was a latecomer to Blitz.

VERY cool..

Are you able to say what game you're working on now?

Quote:
Old 09-19-2005, 11:04 PM   #28
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore
VERY cool..

Are you able to say what game you're working on now?

Unfortunately no, it's not an announced project, and probably won't be publicly known for quite some time. You'll just have to trust me that I think it's a very cool project. It'll be the first video game I've worked on that isn't a sports title...
Old 09-19-2005, 11:06 PM   #29
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Unfortunately no, it's not an announced project, and probably won't be publicly known for quite some time. You'll just have to trust me that I think it's a very cool project. It'll be the first video game I've worked on that isn't a sports title...

boooo!!!

Quote:
Old 09-20-2005, 06:32 AM   #30
Galaril
Pro Starter

Blitz if you didn't know is a 8-on 8 player game. Meaning it's like arena football only 8 players on the field for each team. Just wanted to add that. I was disappointed by this but will still be happy to see a new football game.
Old 09-20-2005, 06:40 AM   #31
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Blitz if you didn't know is a 8-on 8 player game. Meaning it's like arena football only 8 players on the field for each team. Just wanted to add that. I was disappointed by this but will still be happy to see a new football game.

You sure? I thought that the last version of NFL Blitz had 11 players?

Quote:
Old 09-20-2005, 07:19 AM   #32
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore
You sure? I thought that the last version of NFL Blitz had 11 players?

That is correct but i guess they are using a new engine and for some ungodly reason thought it would be agood idea to go back to 8 on 8. The developer producer Kraig confirmed this on the Operation sports board a while back.
Old 09-20-2005, 07:29 AM   #33
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

GTA meets NFL Blitz? Nah thanks.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 01:00 PM   #34
Galaril
Pro Starter

Bill Abner has a nice QA interview with the games developer.

Blitz QA
Old 10-18-2005, 07:25 PM   #35
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Bump

I just got home from buying this. I haven't even opened the package yet, but I'm about to give it a shot. I'm not expecting too much, so I'll be pleased if it turns out to be very good. Without the online component, I probably wouldn't have bothered with this game, but this is the kind of game that I wouldn't mind playing online against just about anybody. We'll see how it goes.
Old 10-18-2005, 07:28 PM   #36
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors
Bump

I just got home from buying this. I haven't even opened the package yet, but I'm about to give it a shot. I'm not expecting too much, so I'll be pleased if it turns out to be very good. Without the online component, I probably wouldn't have bothered with this game, but this is the kind of game that I wouldn't mind playing online against just about anybody. We'll see how it goes.

Didn't realise this was out already. Looking forward to reading your thoughts on it.
Old 10-18-2005, 07:33 PM   #37
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Gamespot gave it a very good review (8.6 out of 10.) I look forward to reading Pumpy's impressions as well.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 09:01 PM   #38
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

Yeah, that review did surprise me. I was expecting about a 7/10, so that was good news. Hope I can rent it.
kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 09:41 PM   #39
Calis
College Starter

Interesting, I might give this a shot, seeing as how I have yet to buy a football game this year which is very frightening.

Is it possible to play Co-op? I'm not at all familiar with the Blitz games. If I can play it two player with a friend I'm up for giving it a shot.

Last edited by Calis : 10-18-2005 at 09:41 PM.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 11:01 PM   #40
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I've only played two games, one "Quick Play" and one in "Campaign" mode. I got blown out in the quick play game, and I blew out the CPU in the campaign game. I don't really know what to say about this game so far. It doesn't feel like the old Blitz games. There are a few more things you can do, like juking with the right thumbstick. Also, it moves even faster than the old NFL Blitz, if you can imagine that. It moves very quickly, and that will take some getting used to.

The gameplay is fine, even though it's fast. I don't have any complaints about running an offense, especially if you get to know the strengths of your team. Defense is hard to do with the default camera, just because you can't see the entire width of the field. I just chose the safety and covered deep rather than switching to the wide camera that is available. I will probably try the wide camera next time and see if it helps. Still, even with the default camera, I intercepted a couple of passes and knocked a couple more down.

There are a lot of things to unlock, but many of them can only be unlocked in quick play mode, apparently. I intended to do mostly campaign and online games. The unlockables are just stuff like additional gameplay modes (big head mode, injuries on every big hit, fumbles on every play, etc.) and some concept art and photos, generally. It really shouldn't be that big of a deal. The only thing I really want to unlock is the arcade Cyberball game. I don't remember how to unlock it right now, but the game tells you what you need to do.

For Calis, co-op mode is something that actually needs to be unlocked. I don't remember how to unlock that one either, but I'll check it tomorrow night when I play again. I would imagine that it shouldn't be terribly hard to unlock, but I don't know for sure. Some of the unlockables require very specific things like winning on a particular week in campaign mode. I think the more specific unlockables open up cheerleader content, but some other things may have the same requirements.

If anyone has any specific questions about the game, I'd be glad to answer. Right now, all I can say is that I'll enjoy running through campaign mode at least once. Also, don't play the game with your kids around, unless you don't mind your kids hearing things like "WAKE THE FUCK UP!" coming out of your speakers. No bleeps here, fellas.
Old 10-19-2005, 09:34 AM   #41
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Even though I haven't played since my last post, I'd like to add some comments about the atmosphere and story of the game.

For those who don't know the story of the campaign mode, the owner of a professional football team has decided that he wants to start over after his team suffers a brutal defeat (and the quarterback suffers a pretty gruesome thumb injury on the last play of the game). The owner wants a new team name, new logo, new uniforms, and new players. That's where you come in. It's up to you to select one rookie and one veteran to be the central characters on your team. You also get to select coaches and trainers who will add to certain abilities based on the types of people they are. For instance, I wanted to run a ball control offense, so I selected a coach who improved the abilities of the running backs.

I named my team the Pittsburgh Paladins, and I selected a quick running back with fumble problems as my rookie. My veteran star is an aging linebacker whose instincts cover up his rapidly declining physical skills. Our first game was on the road against the Arizona Outlaws. I don't mean to spoil much, but this is only the first of 33 games, so I hope nobody minds if I describe the introduction to the campaign. My players were standing in the tunnel, ready to bolt onto the visitor's field for their first game. The veteran LB tells the rookie to lead the team out onto the field. The rookie bursts out of the tunnel all the way to midfield, jumps up and down and screams, "THIS IS OUR HOUSE! THIS IS OUR HOUSE!" He turns around to see that his teammates are still in the tunnel laughing at him as the crowd gets on the rookie's case. It was a pretty funny moment.

Thanks to Arizona's quarterback throwing four interceptions, we win the game pretty easily, 28-7. The rookie recovers from his embarrassing entrance to rush for over 100 yards and (I think) three touchdowns. My defense had a little trouble keeping Arizona WR T.O. Maas (a combination of Owens and Moss, no doubt) away from the ball, but the turnovers made his performance immaterial.

There are a lot of nice tackling animations that do remind me of the old NFL Blitz. I saw a couple of guys get suplexed, a few guys got speared by head-first diving tackles, etc. One of my players executed a pretty nice tackle to narrowly prevent a big running play. It's the kind of tackle that will never get into an NFL-licensed game (nor should it). My defender ran up behind the halfback, pulled the back's helmet off, and then bashed him in the head with it. In the context of this game, it made me laugh my ass off.

Since the quarters are only two minutes long (customizable from 1 to 5 minutes in "quick play" mode, although maybe not in campaign mode), you can run through a full game in about 10 minutes. I'm looking forward to getting 3 or 4 more games in tonight. Since I depend on my rushing attack, I figured that my blockers could use a little, um, "help." The team doctor got his hands on some kind of experimental pills, so I bought them and gave them to my tight end after the first game of the season. Over the next game or two, I'll see what kind of effect it has on him. (insert evil laugh here)

I haven't seen any injuries in the game yet, except for the quarterback's thumb injury in the intro (which is really just a "welcome to the game" cutscene). I'm waiting to see some bones break. I just hope my guys aren't on the wrong end of it.

I can't wait to play some more tonight!
Old 10-19-2005, 09:44 AM   #42
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Really enjoying this game. I was a bit worried before I played it that the cursing would be totally out of control. Although there is cursing involved, it's not totally overwhelming. Also, I was a bit worried that the tackles would be overblown. While there are some 'dirty hits' which are a bit crazy, the overall tackling is very good.

The tutorial is very good for those that don't like to read the manual. It's needed because there are a lot of new features related to gameplay. Helps to understand how each play/action affects various parts of the game. Will probably start a campaign tonight.

Also like the kick timing mechanics. Basically, you have a series of buttons pop up. Depending on how fast and accurately you push the button, the kick power and accuracy is decided. Nice change of pace. Kind of like a mini-game.

Pace is very good. Just fast enough to make it a challenge as far as response time during both runs and passes. Really like the game a lot.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 09:47 AM   #43
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Add another game to the list I guess. A ton of games that I am itching to purchase have come out this last week.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 09:49 AM   #44
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

You know, even though I've only played two games of this (plus the tutorials), I can't believe that I was actually amazed by how well your players try to block for you. I mean, I can actually take it slow on a sweep play and wait for my blockers to come in and seal up the inside for me. I've played so many other football games in which the only thing that makes a sweep play work is the running back's speed. Speed is good for getting around the corner, but you need blockers. I'm rather impressed. I almost wish that these guys were doing an Arena Football game instead of EA.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:17 AM   #45
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
You know, even though I've only played two games of this (plus the tutorials), I can't believe that I was actually amazed by how well your players try to block for you. I mean, I can actually take it slow on a sweep play and wait for my blockers to come in and seal up the inside for me. I've played so many other football games in which the only thing that makes a sweep play work is the running back's speed. Speed is good for getting around the corner, but you need blockers. I'm rather impressed. I almost wish that these guys were doing an Arena Football game instead of EA.

I've noticed that too. On the old Blitz games, you could just attempt to outrun everyone. They actually paid attention to the blocking schemes on this one. Honestly, the running game has a better feel to it than Madden. You have to be patient, but the holes open if you wait for the blocks.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 03:42 PM   #46
Calis
College Starter

Just picked this up.

First Blitz game I've ever bought, and will be the first time I've played it since back in the Arcade on the original.

Hope it's not too crazy for me to handle.

Was a tough decision when I got there, I didn't realize The Warriors game was out also, but I passed on it since I hadn't heard any feedback on it yet, now I come back and look and it sounds to be pretty good. Figures.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 03:45 PM   #47
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Please tell me they have this game for the PC. I don't play console games.
Antmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 03:47 PM   #48
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
you can run through a full game in about 10 minutes. I'm looking forward to getting 3 or 4 more games in tonight.

So, that means about 4 games in an hour and 33 games setup of your team max 30 minutes. Total campaign game 8 1/2 hours wow that is short.

Last edited by Galaril : 10-19-2005 at 03:47 PM.
Old 10-19-2005, 03:52 PM   #49
Swaggs
Coordinator

Does it track stats and are there trades?
Swaggs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 03:57 PM   #50
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
So, that means about 4 games in an hour and 33 games setup of your team max 30 minutes. Total campaign game 8 1/2 hours wow that is short.
Allegedly, the campaign changes a bit depending on which rookie and which veteran you select, but yeah. I guess it is pretty short. I do like that you can bring your custom team online, so that will give it a little more playability for me. I don't really spend a lot of time playing a single game anyway, so it's not going to bug me. Even so, I might just start to think of this game like the old NFL Blitz arcade game, when I would just walk up, put my quarters in, and after I had beaten all 31 teams, it would seemingly just pick an opponent at random for me. I still enjoyed playing the game even though there was no longer a goal to shoot for.

If campaign mode is really the only thing you want to see, it's best to just rent the game. I would imagine that you could "finish" it over a weekend or even in a day. Blitz was always best as a multiplayer game to me, though, so I'm looking forward to taking my Pittsburgh Paladins online after I finish the campaign.

Oh, for Antmeister, I don't think this game is going to be on the PC.

Last edited by Pumpy Tudors : 10-19-2005 at 03:58 PM.
Pumpy Tudors is offline   Reply With Quote